DEEP THOUGHTS

Options

Replies

• sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Here's one.

Everyone knows that these two truths exist:
    1) If a buttered piece of toast is dropped, it will always land butter-side-down (due to Murphy's law)
    2) A cat, if dropped, will always land on its feet.

What would happen if you secured buttered toast to a cat's back and dropped it? Which law would prevail?

I propose we would've created some sort of hovering device.

A space-time rip will appear and destroy the whole of creation, only to have it replaced with a drop of water from the facuet into the cat's bowl
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    The universe as we see it is all in the past anyways
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    "Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. ." - Bill Hicks

To answer the question, what am I?

I am the alpha and the omega. The First and The Last, The Origin and The Fulfillment. I occupy all space and all time. And I am the one, and the only. Through the infinite one, I and I manifested dis meat bag to experience this particular fractional splice of this fractal dimension. To learn to love. To love, to be love and loved.
    Jah is love. JAH RASTAFARI. Forever loving all.

Very poetic, though I would disagree that vibration somehow equals the universe manifesting itself into some form of conscienceness. (You should check out Neal Walsh's "Conversation With God" - it's a good read for those who are into those meta-being sorts of beliefs. It was very powerful when I believed in that.) I'm now a girl of science and believe that matter nor vibration has any kind of sentience at all, loving, malevolent, or benign.

The second part is closer to something I could get behind, in at least in that our meat-sac existence serves no purpose other than to be experienced. Your words suggest a higher purpose of Love inherent in that experience, which is not a bad goal to aim for.

I absolutely love that part. Sometimes when I'm staring out at the stars I remember I'm actually seeing the light of a star as it was thousands or millions ago, the time it took to travel to Earth. It's so awing.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children.

One's philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes... and the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility.

Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.

Philosophy is the highest music.

Bravo!!!!!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Who is on a $10,000 dollar bill again?

Salmon P. Chase
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    I think at some level I agree with Trey Parker:

"Basically ... out of all the ridiculous religion stories which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous — the silliest one I've ever heard is, 'Yeah ... there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here just 'cause ... just 'cause'. That, to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever."
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If the sun explodes and destroys Earth, will God cease to exist? Think about it.

That's the whole "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" query. (I.e - does god exist if those who think of him cease to think of him?) Fun stuff to think about.

Ahh, but what if God created multiple Earths??
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Assuming that life has no inherent meaning or purpose, and that all meaning and purpose assigned to life is subjectively based, is not everything in life objectively meaningless and without purpose? What is the point of continuing to live, assuming that there is no continuation of our consciousness beyond its current state, and no inherent objective to accomplish within our lives.

Is the point to simply live without any defined meaning or purpose, and if so, why such a drive within the species to create subjective definitions to fill both voids with temporary and irrelevant values. Is it a necessity within our species to have meaning and purpose in our lives as a component of our means to survival?

Is the point to live life in service to a higher power? By this, a higher power could be anything from a worthy and charitable cause, to the subjective existence of any one of the thousands of fictional and made up gods humanity has created throughout its existence. Again, considering the objective fate of both humanity, the earth, and the universe itself, what does this matter but within a subjective standpoint.

Is the point to life to live within a moral code, upholding the fabric of the civilizations which our ancestors made so many sacrifices to create and maintain. Considering that morality, and the concepts of right and wrong are within themselves subjective creations subject to the diverse regions of the world in which they are created and applied, what is the point of upholding any moral code but that of one's personal obligation to oneself?

Existentialism at it's best!
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Since you are all serious in this thread, are you familiar with the theories that at the heart of all galaxies is a supermassive black hole that is compressing matter that will inevitably be pushed through a wormhole to another point in space and give birth to a whole new galaxy? I find those theories very interesting and highly plausible.

While wormholes are still theoretical at this point, you are absolutely correct that within galaxies there are black holes. The Milky Way has one, too. It is extremely likely, what with galaxies colliding (as the Milky Way will with its neighboring galaxy) and creating even bigger black holes, that we could see another "Big Bang" eventually.

you wouldn't see it because the big bang happens the otherside of the black hole

He's got a point... but I'm pretty sure none of us will see it anyway.

I've never actually heard it officially mentioned in the theory, but it stands to reason that if the biological materials required for life are present in the Milky Way, then they also could exist on the other side of Sag A, and then, at least for this galaxy, and its subsequent regeneration, that life will always exist.

Jus' sayin'.

But if the universe is just comprised of a series of galaxies that are perpetually feeding upon and recycling themselves, then when and where was the true beginning?

Or is it just a perpetual cycle much in the way everything else in the universe works, what with its revolutions and rotations?

I'm pretty sure this was something along the lines of what Einstein was trying to get at with his unified theory of everything. But instead of strings... it's actually loops, or circles, or spheres.

similar to two mirrors facing each other?
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    If the sun explodes and destroys Earth, will God cease to exist? Think about it.

That's the whole "if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" query. (I.e - does god exist if those who think of him cease to think of him?) Fun stuff to think about.

To answer that question ourselves, we would have to have proof of god's creating other worlds. Though if god DID do so, then he would still exist. BUT not to us, because our own concept of god would be null and void (because we'd all be extinct.) So at that point, god would be a sort of Schroedinger's cat - both alive and dead until someone could verify or deny his existence.
  • bullofheaven
    bullofheaven Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    "Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. ." - Bill Hicks

I am the alpha and the omega. The First and The Last, The Origin and The Fulfillment. I occupy all space and all time. And I am the one, and the only. Through the infinite one, I and I manifested dis meat bag to experience this particular fractional splice of this fractal dimension. To learn to love. To love, to be love and loved.

Very poetic, though I would disagree that vibration somehow equals the universe manifesting itself into some form of conscienceness. (You should check out Neal Walsh's "Conversation With God" - it's a good read for those who are into those meta-being sorts of beliefs. It was very powerful when I believed in that.) I'm now a girl of science and believe that matter nor vibration has any kind of sentience at all, loving, malevolent, or benign.

The second part is closer to something I could get behind, in at least in that our meat-sac existence serves no purpose other than to be experienced. Your words suggest a higher purpose of Love inherent in that experience, which is not a bad goal to aim for.

I absolutely love that part. Sometimes when I'm staring out at the stars I remember I'm actually seeing the light of a star as it was thousands or millions ago, the time it took to travel to Earth. It's so awing.

Be vary wary of "science." Looking at nature through the eyes of measurement and mathematics can be of material value, but of little immaterial value.

Remember that "you" are of the most importance. That you are the ultimate tool to measure and analyze the world/universe and your life.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Humans do not have the knowledge, skills, science, dimensional awareness YET to analyze the universe. But yeah, Einstein was on the right track that you can probably explain everything in one equation, and when we get there space travel will not take light years but seconds.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options

You wanna go deep? Ask yourself, Who Am I?

(And if an answer comes, it's wrong).

that's interesting....why is it wrong?
  • quirkytizzy
    Options

Be vary wary of "science." Looking at nature through the eyes of measurement and mathematics can be of material value, but of little immaterial value.

Remember that "you" are of the most importance. That you are the ultimate tool to measure and analyze the world/universe and your life.

Hardly. Science isn't a cold dead end. Science comes up with just as many questions as answers and that's amazing to me. The beauty of science and the mechanical nature, all made to fit with each element of itself SO PERFECTLY, is astounding to me. I continually look through the eyes of science and am just spellbound with the perfect and fragile nature of our world. All things are built to a specific and measurable degree and that's so incredible to me.

I do like the second part of your post. Very much so. Without the value of "you", your experience becomes meaningless. It's all good and well to analyze the universe around you, but if you can't relate to you, yourself, and your experience then it's all pointless to even contemplate. Cheers!
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    In what follows, theories of love are tentatively and hesitantly classified into four types: love as union, love as robust concern, love as valuing, and love as an emotion. It should be clear, however, that particular theories classified under one type sometimes also include, without contradiction, ideas central to other types. The types identified here overlap to some extent, and in some cases classifying particular theories may involve excessive pigeonholing.

Part of the classificatory problem is that many accounts of love are quasi-reductionistic, understanding love in terms of notions like affection, evaluation, attachment, etc., which themselves never get analyzed. Even when these accounts eschew explicitly reductionistic language, very often little attempt is made to show how one such “aspect” of love is conceptually connected to others. As a result, there is no clear and obvious way to classify particular theories, let alone identify what the relevant classes should be.

Given that on this view the lovers do not give up their individual identities, there is no principled reason why the union view cannot make sense of the lover's concern for her beloved for his sake.[4] Moreover, Friedman argues, once we construe union as federation, we can see that autonomy is not a zero-sum game; rather, love can both directly enhance the autonomy of each and promote the growth of various skills, like realistic and critical self-evaluation, that foster autonomy.

this is so far deep its blurry...
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options

To answer that question ourselves, we would have to have proof of god's creating other worlds. Though if god DID do so, then he would still exist. BUT not to us, because our own concept of god would be null and void (because we'd all be extinct.) So at that point, god would be a sort of Schroedinger's cat - both alive and dead until someone could verify or deny his existence.

And there is the enigma and deep thought and schools of thought. We make things and we question the making of the universe or existence. On one hand it was made, but who made the maker ? On the other, how did matter come into existence without a maker ? Or is there more to it than our minds can fathom ??? hmmm
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

Looking at star light, it is possible to see the past. Traveling in a plane to another time zone, it is possible to exist in the future. Therefore, time travel exists.
  • NormInv
    Options

Hardly. Science isn't a cold dead end. Science comes up with just as many questions as answers and that's amazing to me. The beauty of science and the mechanical nature, all made to fit with each element of itself SO PERFECTLY, is astounding to me. I continually look through the eyes of science and am just spellbound with the perfect and fragile nature of our world. All things are built to a specific and measurable degree and that's so incredible to me.

I do like the second part of your post. Very much so. Without the value of "you", your experience becomes meaningless. It's all good and well to analyze the universe around you, but if you can't relate to you, yourself, and your experience then it's all pointless to even contemplate. Cheers!

But isnt science subjective? Not just the newtonian laws but others as well? For example the g = 9.8^2 m/s^2 only applies to the confines of the earth and even then not uniformly.

I believe that our science is just that - only explains what we have experienced on this earth. Beyond is a different story and science.

While we're at it, I believe that speed of light is not constant, nor is it limiting.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    if light is an energy and it goes really fast why can't we use the energy to go as fast as light goes itself?
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    In what follows, theories of love are tentatively and hesitantly classified into four types: love as union, love as robust concern, love as valuing, and love as an emotion. It should be clear, however, that particular theories classified under one type sometimes also include, without contradiction, ideas central to other types. The types identified here overlap to some extent, and in some cases classifying particular theories may involve excessive pigeonholing.

Part of the classificatory problem is that many accounts of love are quasi-reductionistic, understanding love in terms of notions like affection, evaluation, attachment, etc., which themselves never get analyzed. Even when these accounts eschew explicitly reductionistic language, very often little attempt is made to show how one such “aspect” of love is conceptually connected to others. As a result, there is no clear and obvious way to classify particular theories, let alone identify what the relevant classes should be.

Given that on this view the lovers do not give up their individual identities, there is no principled reason why the union view cannot make sense of the lover's concern for her beloved for his sake.[4] Moreover, Friedman argues, once we construe union as federation, we can see that autonomy is not a zero-sum game; rather, love can both directly enhance the autonomy of each and promote the growth of various skills, like realistic and critical self-evaluation, that foster autonomy.

this is so far deep its blurry...

Recap: Differing forms of love exist and far too often they are shoved into the same box of just "love." It can't be defined as a whole, though we can identify parts of what makes up love.

Union love (generally romantic) can be seen as building yourself up with love to share the love with someone else. It creates better relationships that run more smoothly.