FITNESS MYTHS and EXCUSES YOU CAN'T STAND!!!

Options

Replies

• julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    "I'm a working Mom I don't have time".

LIES. :)
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I don't have time... That's crap. Make time.

Exactly. Full-time working mother of 3 made it to the gym 25 days out of February (only missed 3) and have only missed 2 so far this month (one of those days because it was on my daughter's b-day party day).

If working out and being healthy is a priority for you, you have to make it exactly that. I don't watch shows and I limit my FB time, so there's really nothing to "miss" in the evening. :smile:

ETA: before someone calls me a bad mom, we have nice conversation in the car with the kids on the way to and from the gym, and when I am there, I'm on the elliptical 31 minutes and then do 10 minutes of strength training most days... and extra strength training on the machines for 15 minutes 2 days a week. They have fun with the other kids, and it will also help them when they get to school, to understand that mom leaves, but mom also comes back. This time of year, it's balls cold in Wisconsin so it's not like we can go play outside anyway. In the summer, yes, more biking and swimming and less gym.
  • AllyTheguineapig
    Options
    Overtraining.

I've been told I over train. I run twice a day almost everyday. I feel great, I don't understand why it freaks people out.
  • asnnbrg
    asnnbrg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Knee injuries can certainly keep a person from some types of exercises. My husband injured his knee years ago, and while he can ride a bike 12+ hours a day (for work), he can't do lunges. It's not an excuse. It's reality.

I too could not do lunges for a long time (heck I couldn't BW squat at first), lunges were the worst. It was the last of the basic movements I was able to do and also the part that unlocked the final piece of the puzzle for me (I fixed all the aspects of the squat first and could do them pain free much earlier)

You see, I didn't know how to lunge. I was only when I learned to flex the abs and tilt the hips back that it turned on my front posterior chain and engaged my rear flexor in a strong stretch....poof the pain disappeared.

Knee *pain or actual knee *injuries? Because unless you're missing chunks of cartilage from your knee, I don't think the two really equate.

I should note he's in excellent shape (the fact that he can bike throughout a workday kinda says something about his fitness level, one would think). I can't imagine his lack of lunging is in any way putting his health at risk. ;)
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Worst excuse I've ever heard was "I am a mother". News flash having children should be a reason to be fit, not an excuse to be unhealthy! This person proceeded to tell me once I was a mother I would understand and it will be all down hill from there. Come on.

I agree. People tell me when I have kids, I won't work our so much because I won't have time. I see kids at my CrossFit gym all the time. They sit and do their homework, play video games or, watch their parents live the example of a healthy life. When I have kids, the same will happen. I need to be here for them for as long as I can, which mean I need to be as healthy as I can possibly be.

Im making a frowning face. I cut back gym time when I became a mom. Dumping your kids in the play area for excessive amounts of time isnt being a mother. Note that I say excessive. "To be as healthy as I can possibly be" meaning tons of gym time isnt a reality of mothering. It involves spending time with your kids as well. I do work out, but I dont work out to my max potential. I dont want to be an absent mom. My kids dont do homework, and the last thing they need is to learn to sit in front of a tv. You make do with other activities, like chasing them around the playground or throwing them in the air.

I can see that. I'm not a mother, and I can't imagine how my life will change once I have a child. Nonetheless, I will find a way to stay healthy and get some fitness in, even it it's just a half hour jog in the morning. The point is, I've seen way too many of my friends affected by the death of a parent. I've see children scared to death when their parents have to have surgery for something that may not have happened living a healthy life style. I don't want to be that parent.
  • assblaster69
    assblaster69 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this fits the topic, but i dont really get what toning means. "i want to get toned", is it same as gaining muscle basically?

Gaining muscle does not imply getting toned. When someone tells me they what to tone, I am assuming they mean they want more definition which to me means lowering there body fat. You can get tons of muscle but still have a bunch of body fat.

Ok thanks. The word gets thrown around in bodybuilding forums because it seems to piss people off. And english isnt my first language and it isnt really in a dictionary in a way that it makes sense.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Worst excuse I've ever heard was "I am a mother". News flash having children should be a reason to be fit, not an excuse to be unhealthy! This person proceeded to tell me once I was a mother I would understand and it will be all down hill from there. Come on.

I agree. People tell me when I have kids, I won't work our so much because I won't have time. I see kids at my CrossFit gym all the time. They sit and do their homework, play video games or, watch their parents live the example of a healthy life. When I have kids, the same will happen. I need to be here for them for as long as I can, which mean I need to be as healthy as I can possibly be.

Im making a frowning face. I cut back gym time when I became a mom. Dumping your kids in the play area for excessive amounts of time isnt being a mother. Note that I say excessive. "To be as healthy as I can possibly be" meaning tons of gym time isnt a reality of mothering. It involves spending time with your kids as well. I do work out, but I dont work out to my max potential. I dont want to be an absent mom. My kids dont do homework, and the last thing they need is to learn to sit in front of a tv. You make do with other activities, like chasing them around the playground or throwing them in the air.

I can see that. I'm not a mother, and I can't imagine how my life will change once I have a child. Nonetheless, I will find a way to stay healthy and get some fitness in, even it it's just a half hour jog in the morning. The point is, I've seen way too many of my friends affected by the death of a parent. I've see children scared to death when their parents have to have surgery for something that may not have happened living a healthy life style. I don't want to be that parent.

If it is important to you, you won't be that parent. I am a mom of 2 and it hasn't stopped me from being fit. If anything, my children motivated me to work even harder. I am in better shape now than I was before.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When people eat processed sugary junk and their excuse is "I need the sugar", ipjewfdalojwlfjlwjhlwdclwdjciq NO.

Sugar is not junk. There's your first mistake.
  • markdavy1982
    markdavy1982 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I dont need to train my legs, i use them everyday.

There is no point doing full reps, half reps make you grow the same.

You eat all the time, you will never lose weight.

You need to have some rubbish in your diet.

carbs make you fat.

Muscle turns to fat when you stop training.

I do sit ups everyday and dont have a six pack.

You should always do ten reps.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is the most judgemental posting zone I've seen here in a long time! Did this turn into MyFitnessTroll?

Perhaps it would be a little more helpful to those who are starting/struggling/not quite got their shxt together on the fitness bandwagon if people would share the myths and excuses THEY PERSONALLY relied on and HOW THEY OVERCAME THEM!

Complaining because someone else says they "don't have the time" only makes those of us who are currently struggling feel more on the outside --- like theres a river between us and I can't find the bridge.

I haven't always been obese. I spent the first 40 years of my struggling because I was Under-Weight. I wasn't a gym rat but I was athletic and heathy. I put on a few "happiness pounds" in my early forties and then surgical menopause trashed my body in 18 mos.

I am 60 pounds overweight despite eating at or slightly below my target calorie goal for months (I have not neither gained nor lost more than 5 pounds in the last 2 years). I am not a junk-food junkie --- most of my meals are homecooked from fresh ingredients. I choose to drink water at meals so that my calories are saved for nutrition. My major indulgence is a large diet soda with breakfast. I choose to eat healthy whether I'm at home or traveling for work. I'm not a big veggie eater but I try to hide veggies in my food as often as I can.

As for exercize......it's a two-edged sword......I would feel better if I exercized more AND I would exercize more if I could feel better.

I wake at 5:30am every morning to get ready for work --- 30 minute commute and at work at 7:00am. I put in a full day (unfortunately mostly at a desk), eating soup or healthy leftovers for lunch. I am out of the office between 4:00pm and 5:00pm and drive to the grocery store to plan dinner for my family. Dinner is usually on the table around 6:30pm and I sit with my family and we eat for about 45min. (I have teenagers.....they need the time). After dinner, I clear the table, clean up the cooking mess, and then it's off to bed.
    I am so exhausted by normal activity that I go to bed by 8:00pm. There is no "watching tv, playing on the internet, or talking on the phone." Weekends are a repeat of the above except when I'm not at a school function or volunteer activity, I'm trying to clean my house. Carrying all this extra weight has made the normal activities of life miserable and overwhelming.

I have tried going to the gym at 5:30am (when the gym opens) ---- I feel like crap the rest of the day and my boss complains.
    I have tried going to the gym at 5:30pm (right after work) --- we end up eating dinner out and my husband complains.
    I don't have a "lunch hour" in which I can go workout --- I eat at my desk and they don't care if I complain.

Fourteen months ago I did the gym 5 days a week (including two zumba classes); an unexplained change in health status took that away from me ---- I can barely do 30 minutes of light walking on the treadmill now. I've been to the doctors who just say, "you're fine, you just need to eat less and move more". I don't want a diet pill. I don't want surgery. I don't expect a quick fix. What I'm trying to find is a way to get things moving in the right direction so that I can lose enough weight that I can work out alittle and lose more weight so I can work out a little more ad infinitum. This isn't a joke or a vanity thing for me --- I spent Halloween week in the hospital with angina and shortness of breath. They can't find anything wrong with me except that I weigh 200 f'ing pounds.

So I take the old tact that "It's not just what you're eating, it's what's eating you" and log into the message boards to see what experience, strength, and hope I can find to help me move forward just a baby step today.

And what do I find --- hostility and judgementalism. This is supposed to be a community where we pull together and pull for each other. Would it kill one person out there to talk about how they overcame their own excuses and barriers? That's what is really going to help other people.

I'm still trying to figure out why teenagers require 45 minutes to eat dinner. Otherwise, plan your weekly meal plan on Sunday afternoon while you are waiting for the weeks worth of laundry to dry, make a list, give it to the teenagers, let them do the shopping. Heck, let them cook dinner while they're at it. Now you have time to exercise. Added bonus, your kids will know how to shop for themselves, cook and clean up after themselves when they finally leave the nest.
    [/quote

Also what's with the husband complaining, why can't he cook dinner?

I don't understand why you're doing everything, shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning.

In my house we all do things, my kids are still young but still help out, they need to learn responsibilities and how to be independent.

We all get tired, sometimes I feel my eyes closing when I'm sat on the sofa, but I still make myself do a workout and I feel so much better for it.

I completely agree. Why can't your husband or kids cook? Get them involved.I have when people say they don't have time- you have time you aren't using time correctly.

Totally agree. When we were teenagers we were expected to clean up after dinner, take out garbage, do our own laundry and help around the house over the weekend so my mom could get downtime. Kids who are not taught these things at home don't fare very well living on their own.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I actually had a friend say this...the lack of daylight and cold in this state is making me fat! Really it has nothing to do with the cookies, cake, take out or chips you are constantly shoving in your face. Hmmmm I will really need to rethink my own weight loss then because I live in same said state! Oh and Im losing!

Everyone is not the same. The lack of sunlight can have a powerful psychological affect on some people, and a physical one if they don't get enough vitamin D. That doesn't mean they can't lose weight, but it may mean they fight a much harder battle than you.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options

i work full time and my husband goes to school full time and we are leaders at our church and we have a 4yr old son and a new puppy lol we do insanity every night except rest days but we did miss 2 days because we literally didnt get in the house until 9pm one night and 230am the next time and were gone all day...idk about you but if its past 930pm im going to bed lol
  • asnnbrg
    asnnbrg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is the most judgemental posting zone I've seen here in a long time! Did this turn into MyFitnessTroll?

Perhaps it would be a little more helpful to those who are starting/struggling/not quite got their shxt together on the fitness bandwagon if people would share the myths and excuses THEY PERSONALLY relied on and HOW THEY OVERCAME THEM!

Complaining because someone else says they "don't have the time" only makes those of us who are currently struggling feel more on the outside --- like theres a river between us and I can't find the bridge.

I haven't always been obese. I spent the first 40 years of my struggling because I was Under-Weight. I wasn't a gym rat but I was athletic and heathy. I put on a few "happiness pounds" in my early forties and then surgical menopause trashed my body in 18 mos.

I am 60 pounds overweight despite eating at or slightly below my target calorie goal for months (I have not neither gained nor lost more than 5 pounds in the last 2 years). I am not a junk-food junkie --- most of my meals are homecooked from fresh ingredients. I choose to drink water at meals so that my calories are saved for nutrition. My major indulgence is a large diet soda with breakfast. I choose to eat healthy whether I'm at home or traveling for work. I'm not a big veggie eater but I try to hide veggies in my food as often as I can.

As for exercize......it's a two-edged sword......I would feel better if I exercized more AND I would exercize more if I could feel better.

I wake at 5:30am every morning to get ready for work --- 30 minute commute and at work at 7:00am. I put in a full day (unfortunately mostly at a desk), eating soup or healthy leftovers for lunch. I am out of the office between 4:00pm and 5:00pm and drive to the grocery store to plan dinner for my family. Dinner is usually on the table around 6:30pm and I sit with my family and we eat for about 45min. (I have teenagers.....they need the time). After dinner, I clear the table, clean up the cooking mess, and then it's off to bed.
    I am so exhausted by normal activity that I go to bed by 8:00pm. There is no "watching tv, playing on the internet, or talking on the phone." Weekends are a repeat of the above except when I'm not at a school function or volunteer activity, I'm trying to clean my house. Carrying all this extra weight has made the normal activities of life miserable and overwhelming.

I have tried going to the gym at 5:30am (when the gym opens) ---- I feel like crap the rest of the day and my boss complains.
    I have tried going to the gym at 5:30pm (right after work) --- we end up eating dinner out and my husband complains.
    I don't have a "lunch hour" in which I can go workout --- I eat at my desk and they don't care if I complain.

Fourteen months ago I did the gym 5 days a week (including two zumba classes); an unexplained change in health status took that away from me ---- I can barely do 30 minutes of light walking on the treadmill now. I've been to the doctors who just say, "you're fine, you just need to eat less and move more". I don't want a diet pill. I don't want surgery. I don't expect a quick fix. What I'm trying to find is a way to get things moving in the right direction so that I can lose enough weight that I can work out alittle and lose more weight so I can work out a little more ad infinitum. This isn't a joke or a vanity thing for me --- I spent Halloween week in the hospital with angina and shortness of breath. They can't find anything wrong with me except that I weigh 200 f'ing pounds.

So I take the old tact that "It's not just what you're eating, it's what's eating you" and log into the message boards to see what experience, strength, and hope I can find to help me move forward just a baby step today.

And what do I find --- hostility and judgementalism. This is supposed to be a community where we pull together and pull for each other. Would it kill one person out there to talk about how they overcame their own excuses and barriers? That's what is really going to help other people.

Epic. I think you covered every excuse people have given in this thread. Hats off.

She doesn't actually owe anyone an excuse. Her body is her business. When she's ready to get serious about changing her body or her health, she'll figure it out. Maybe she's just in the thinking stage, or maybe she's actively trying to find a solution. Regardless, there are far better ways to offer her support to get past this stage.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I can't stand "muscle weighs more than fat" Drives me nuts. 1 pound = 1 pound regardless of what it is made of. Muscle is denser than fat so 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat!

Biggest pet peeve in excuses? "I'm scared" WTF is there to be scared of? Being fit, being thin, living longer?

agree with the muscle/fat debocle. It's about the density. aaack, lol.

not having time..... a workout is 4% of your day. Copout!

1 gram of muscle weighs more than 1 gram of fat?
    1 oz?
    1 meter?
    What would you say?
    Put a pound of feathers beside a pound of iron. Both weigh the same but there are a heck of a lot more feathers!!!
    So ok! An inch of muscle weighs more than an inch of fat! :glasses:
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ok the thing that drives me nuts..."Well who wants to live to be 90, and be in a nursing home? I would rather eat what I want, do what I want, and die young!" IT'S NOT ABOUT YOUR 90 YEAR OLD SELF. IT'S ABOUT YOU, TODAY! DON'T YOU WANT TO FEEL BETTER, LOOK BETTER, LOVE LIFE, TODAY?!?! I sure do!!!!!
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ok the thing that drives me nuts..."Well who wants to live to be 90, and be in a nursing home? I would rather eat what I want, do what I want, and die young!" IT'S NOT ABOUT YOUR 90 YEAR OLD SELF. IT'S ABOUT YOU, TODAY! DON'T YOU WANT TO FEEL BETTER, LOOK BETTER, LOVE LIFE, TODAY?!?! I sure do!!!!!

And if you live a healthy lifestyle, 90 will see you chilling on a beach somewhere, still enjoying and and maybe chasing your grand-kids around.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    One of my co-workers is thinking about joining the gym I belong to. We were just emailing each other about going to workout tonight. Here is our honest-to-God conversation

Me: Are you going tonight?
    Her: It’s like I have no motivation; I know I should but I don’t wanna…
    Me: I hope you find your motivation. Remember “We cannot become who we want to be by remaining who we are.” Don’t know who said that, I just like the quote.
    Her: So I guess you are going?
    Me: Yes, I feel like I wimped out yesterday (b/c I didn't go), and I don’t like that feeling.
    Her: Ok…I will go too if it’s not crowded. If it’s crowded I’m just going to go home.[b/]

Not gonna lie... I absolutely hate a crowded gym.

Me too. So I go at 8pm.
  • kakirkpa
    kakirkpa Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Now your second statement I can totally agree with! And thats how Ive taken it too. You still have to work out, you deal with it. Ive gotten over being depressed about the fact I cant work out as much as I want to. Good come back :-) My vow: Not to be a fat mom, so far, so good!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Unless one has a plan for sucide before age 90, whether they end up in a nursing home at age 90 or not may well depend on what you eat and do while you are younger.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    "I don't have the time to exercise and eat right"

Seriously? I have a 6 year old, a 1 year old, a husband year old (lol) and I work full time. I workout during my lunch breaks on the days i'm in the office and early in the morning on the days I work from home. I make time.