FITNESS MYTHS and EXCUSES YOU CAN'T STAND!!!

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    if I do not eat six small meals a day I will go into starvation mode...

I am converting fat into muscle....

I want to scream when I hear those two....

I used a barn analogy the other day to explain about metabolic slow down: Muscle is like horses. They do the work on the farm. Fat is like bags of grain. They feed the horses. If you reduce the amount of food coming in to your body without using the muscles, your body is going to take out some of the muscle so that it can safeguard its stored food. Sort of like having fewer horses eating those sacks of grain.

I know that's a huge oversimplification, but it provided an initial basic understanding of how things work.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    To those of you with "no time" commentary, are any of you full time working moms of small kids? Because seriously. Before kids I worked out 2hrs, 4 times a week. Now Im lucky to get 3x45minutes in. I truly dont have time to get the huge results from lots of time spent in the gym before I had my twins. Sure, I can prioritize gym over doing laundry and making my kids healthy meals, but that wont really help me in the clean undies and healthy kids dept either. I dont watch TV or mundane items like that either.

doesn't matter.

I have people tell me I can do what I do because I don't have kids. You're right I can and that's a choice I make- just like it was a choice to have kids... but guess what- I work a full time job- a part time job and I am a very serious dance student who travels 30 minutes each way to go to 7 PM classes every week PLUS my own time for practice- which is 1.5-2 hours 4-5 days a week.

That does not include my ACTUAL work out. I don't "find time" to work out. I MAKE time to work out. Because it's important to me.

That's the point- every one has time in the day they can spare to work out- it's just a matter of making it a priority.

Let me let all of you "I'm too busy" people in on a secret.... WE ALL HAVE 24 HOURS IN A DAY. I don't have ANY MORE TIME in a day than you do- I just plan my day and make it happen.

period. There is time- you just chose to not MAKE it happen.

Which is fine! I don't care- but don't complain that you don't have time- you're only telling ME that to make YOU feel better about yourself- so good job for tricking yourself. The rest of us really don't care if you are unhealthy and over weight or don't meet your body fat % goals or whatever it is you are massively unhappy about- it really really really doens't affect me at all.

But I'll let you in on a secret- we don't want to hear you complain about the results you didn't get... from the work you didn't do. It's insulting to those of us who find time to make it happen.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Worst excuse I've ever heard was "I am a mother". News flash having children should be a reason to be fit, not an excuse to be unhealthy! This person proceeded to tell me once I was a mother I would understand and it will be all down hill from there. Come on.

I agree. People tell me when I have kids, I won't work our so much because I won't have time. I see kids at my CrossFit gym all the time. They sit and do their homework, play video games or, watch their parents live the example of a healthy life. When I have kids, the same will happen. I need to be here for them for as long as I can, which mean I need to be as healthy as I can possibly be.

Im making a frowning face. I cut back gym time when I became a mom. Dumping your kids in the play area for excessive amounts of time isnt being a mother. Note that I say excessive. "To be as healthy as I can possibly be" meaning tons of gym time isnt a reality of mothering. It involves spending time with your kids as well. I do work out, but I dont work out to my max potential. I dont want to be an absent mom. My kids dont do homework, and the last thing they need is to learn to sit in front of a tv. You make do with other activities, like chasing them around the playground or throwing them in the air.

I can see that. I'm not a mother, and I can't imagine how my life will change once I have a child. Nonetheless, I will find a way to stay healthy and get some fitness in, even it it's just a half hour jog in the morning. The point is, I've seen way too many of my friends affected by the death of a parent. I've see children scared to death when their parents have to have surgery for something that may not have happened living a healthy life style. I don't want to be that parent.

Now your second statement I can totally agree with! And thats how Ive taken it too. You still have to work out, you deal with it. Ive gotten over being depressed about the fact I cant work out as much as I want to. Good come back :-) My vow: Not to be a fat mom, so far, so good!

Thank you! I will never judge a mother for how she feels about the balance in her life. I wasn't able to work out until my youngest was a year old. I didn't have the time to do my taxes.

However, now I've figured out a plan to squeeze it in around everything else I need to do. It IS possible, even if it's not always ideal.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I really hope your are just joking. If you are being serious then I have to tell you that this is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. Weight is a function of density. Would you say that gold weighs more than feathers? 1 pound of gold = 1 pound of feathers correct? So why then do we say that gold weighs more than feathers? For the same reason that muscle weighs more than fat. It takes less fat to equal 1 pound then it does fat just like it takes less gold to get to one pound then it does feathers. By your logic everything weighs the same because 1 pound of X will weigh the same as 1 pound of Y.
    ETA: Um....a pound = a pound. The amount it takes to make the pound is irrelevant

Not when you're talking body image. If a lb of Fat took up 20 sq inches and a lb of muscle took up 8 sq inches. What would you rather have on your body?

I was responding to "By your logic everything weighs the same because 1 pound of X will weigh the same as 1 pound of Y."

A pound weighs a pound. 500 pounds weighs 500 pounds.

The amount of space they take up is density, not weight.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    "You have to do at least 45 min. of cardio 3x per week or you aren't getting any benefit." B.S. That just discourages people who can't do 45 min. of sustained exercise yet.

Just walking to the mailbox gives some benefit. A calorie burned is a calorie burned.

45 x 3 gives the maximum benefit for the least investment of time. Working out less will give less benefit and working out more will give more. 45 x 3 is just the point where the investment of time vs. benefit to cardio-vascular fitness begins to level off. Any exercise burns a few calories and that benefits weight loss, self image, mood, stamina, etc.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    "It's my genes" or "I have a thyroid issue". The later only bothers me when the person saying it can only name weight issues as a side effect of their "thyroid" problem. Oh, and people that don't understand how metabolism works.

The thyroid one kills me as I have a "thyroid issue" (hypothyroid) and, with medication to control it, good diet and exercise, I have been able to lose weight even after I quit smoking.

That's great for you but it isn't always the case. My hypothyroid affects more than my weight. I have the temp chnages, low libido, extreme exhaustion. I have to work much harder to lose weight which can be very disappointing. It affects the mental aspect when everyone around you is doing less and losing more! I am doing it, though. I am praying for my goiter to be miraculously healed and my thyroid to begin pumping correctly. I wouldn't mind a hyperthyroid for 6 months, Lord!! LOL
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "It's my genes" or "I have a thyroid issue". The later only bothers me when the person saying it can only name weight issues as a side effect of their "thyroid" problem. Oh, and people that don't understand how metabolism works.

The thyroid one kills me as I have a "thyroid issue" (hypothyroid) and, with medication to control it, good diet and exercise, I have been able to lose weight even after I quit smoking.

That's great for you but it isn't always the case. My hypothyroid affects more than my weight. I have the temp chnages, low libido, extreme exhaustion. I have to work much harder to lose weight which can be very disappointing. It affects the mental aspect when everyone around you is doing less and losing more! I am doing it, though. I am praying for my goiter to be miraculously healed and my thyroid to begin pumping correctly. I wouldn't mind a hyperthyroid for 6 months, Lord!! LOL

but you still try.

vs many other people who just brush it off as that's the way it is. It's not an excuse for you to not work. that's the difference.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Myths/misconceptions

1) You can spot reduce fat. (for instance When someone complains about belly fat and the advice given is lots of sit ups! Argh)
    2) the word toning. (Um no, you either grow muscle or you don't. There's no such thing as "toning")
    3) only cardio burns fat and weight lifting is only for muscle building (hello! Weight lifting is one of the best things you can do for fat loss)

Excuses

1) I don't lift heavy because I don't want to bulk up (no, no, no, no and no!)
    2) I have wrecked my diet today so there's no point working out and I may as well eat more (just no.)
    3) I just don't get time in my day (BS, make time! Get up an hour earlier or swap out an hour of couch time for exercise)
    4) a gym membership is too expensive (you don't have to join a gym!)
    5) healthy food is more expensive (and eating take away every other night isn't? It just seems less expensive because it's spent hereand there, not in one go. And surprise surprise, you're hungry again an hour later. Besides, who can put a price on health?)
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    To those of you with "no time" commentary, are any of you full time working moms of small kids? Because seriously. Before kids I worked out 2hrs, 4 times a week. Now Im lucky to get 3x45minutes in. I truly dont have time to get the huge results from lots of time spent in the gym before I had my twins. Sure, I can prioritize gym over doing laundry and making my kids healthy meals, but that wont really help me in the clean undies and healthy kids dept either. I dont watch TV or mundane items like that either.

doesn't matter.

I have people tell me I can do what I do because I don't have kids. You're right I can and that's a choice I make- just like it was a choice to have kids... but guess what- I work a full time job- a part time job and I am a very serious dance student who travels 30 minutes each way to go to 7 PM classes every week PLUS my own time for practice- which is 1.5-2 hours 4-5 days a week.

That does not include my ACTUAL work out. I don't "find time" to work out. I MAKE time to work out. Because it's important to me.

That's the point- every one has time in the day they can spare to work out- it's just a matter of making it a priority.

Let me let all of you "I'm too busy" people in on a secret.... WE ALL HAVE 24 HOURS IN A DAY. I don't have ANY MORE TIME in a day than you do- I just plan my day and make it happen.

period. There is time- you just chose to not MAKE it happen.

Which is fine! I don't care- but don't complain that you don't have time- you're only telling ME that to make YOU feel better about yourself- so good job for tricking yourself. The rest of us really don't care if you are unhealthy and over weight or don't meet your body fat % goals or whatever it is you are massively unhappy about- it really really really doens't affect me at all.

But I'll let you in on a secret- we don't want to hear you complain about the results you didn't get... from the work you didn't do. It's insulting to those of us who find time to make it happen.

This, this, this and more this! Could not have said it better myself.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    "I ran a mile today so I deserve this cheeseburger."
    [/quote]

At last! I've found the motivation to run a mile. :bigsmile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I really hope your are just joking. If you are being serious then I have to tell you that this is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard. Weight is a function of density. Would you say that gold weighs more than feathers? 1 pound of gold = 1 pound of feathers correct? So why then do we say that gold weighs more than feathers? For the same reason that muscle weighs more than fat. It takes less fat to equal 1 pound then it does fat just like it takes less gold to get to one pound then it does feathers. By your logic everything weighs the same because 1 pound of X will weigh the same as 1 pound of Y.
    ETA: Um....a pound = a pound. The amount it takes to make the pound is irrelevant

Not when you're talking body image. If a lb of Fat took up 20 sq inches and a lb of muscle took up 8 sq inches. What would you rather have on your body?

I was responding to "By your logic everything weighs the same because 1 pound of X will weigh the same as 1 pound of Y."

A pound weighs a pound. 500 pounds weighs 500 pounds.

The amount of space they take up is density, not weight.

My bad, read it wrong. Thought is was amount of space, not amount.
  • fstfrd00
    fstfrd00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Myth: You are not a individual (special snowflake) with different medical requirements.

I believe you are. If your not a special snowflake how do you explain that God made you special or that your finger prints are different than everyone else in the world? The base formula is the same across the board (food Vs.Activity Vs. Sleep).
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    "I'm too stressed to go to the gym." Excercise is probably one of the best things you can do for stress. -facepalm-

Some of the days I've had at the office have had me eagerly anticipating hitting the gym after I get off. I get out of the gym and feel SO much better. If I didn't have the gym to look forward to at the end of my workday I'd likely do something that people would regret.
  • scottishsenorita
    Options
    " I have an underactive thyroid so I CANT lose weight"

I DO have an underactive thyroid and I've lost 6 stone and maintained for 3 years......having a thyroid condition can make it more difficult but it does NOT mean that you cannot lose weight!
  • hiphopdisco
    hiphopdisco Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Walking has no cardio value

Weight lifting will make you bulky
  • LBNOakland
    Options
    :explode:
    I can't stand "muscle weighs more than fat" Drives me nuts. 1 pound = 1 pound regardless of what it is made of. Muscle is denser than fat so 1 pound of muscle takes up less space than 1 pound of fat!

Biggest pet peeve in excuses? "I'm scared" WTF is there to be scared of? Being fit, being thin, living longer?

But muscle does weigh more than fat. If you took the same volume of each, muscle would weigh more.

The response "No, muscle doesn't weigh more than fat because 1 lb = 1 lb" is a pet peeve of mine (which has nothing to do with fitness). Seriously, I can't decide if it's more rude, pretentious or ignorant.

Same here!!! You know what I meant!! The meaning is implied that the same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat! It isn't literal, it is figurative!! FIGURE IT OUT and quit ranting about it!! LOL
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Best one yet I've heard:

I didn't work out because there was no parking space.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    That 1200 is a starvation level for absolutely everyone regardless of height and size, and activity levels. Jeez. i work in a hospital and there must be loads of negligent doctors putting gastric band patients on 600 cal a day diets . . . .

AMEN sister :) but they would call any doctor putting any one on a diet with anything below 1200 a quack, only because they believe differently, including those who run MFP. IMO MFP has to say anything under 1200 is unhealthy so that they can't get sued if someone tries to starve themselves to death because MFP said they could eat 200 calories a day.
  • LBNOakland
    Options
    Ok the thing that drives me nuts..."Well who wants to live to be 90, and be in a nursing home? I would rather eat what I want, do what I want, and die young!" IT'S NOT ABOUT YOUR 90 YEAR OLD SELF. IT'S ABOUT YOU, TODAY! DON'T YOU WANT TO FEEL BETTER, LOOK BETTER, LOVE LIFE, TODAY?!?! I sure do!!!!!

And if you live a healthy lifestyle, 90 will see you chilling on a beach somewhere, still enjoying and and maybe chasing your grand-kids around.

It's not about you at all! Lose for yourself but think about those around you. The people who will be taking care of the 90 yr old you or the 60 year old you who wasn't healthy! My dad died in November at 72. Before he died, we spent years battling knee problems. (He didn't squat, I suppose! :happy: ) Diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney failure. My mom, also a diabetic and with COPD, struggled to keep him home. My sisters and I did all we could but have families too. It was much harder than it had to be if he had been healthier! That is what restarted me on this journey and 1 of my sisters as well. I don't want to do that to my kids. And I sure as hell don't want THEM picking my nursing home!! :wink: Instead, I am choosing to get healthy and be that spry 90 year old lady who can get away with saying ANYTHING!! :tongue: Added benefit - much better role model for my children to follow.
  • BeautifulChaos27
    Options
    I actually heard this: "I can't squat because I have bad knees.... besides, it's not like i use that in my everyday life."

Uhmm.. excuse me? I've actually dislocated my knee three times now, and have had HUNDREDS of almost dislocations inbetween. My knee cracks and makes noise everytime I so much as go up stairs, and I have to go down stairs in a limp-like mannor because I can't go down them normally. I've gone to therapy just to learn to walk again, and therapy again after that to regain the little bit of strength I currently have.