ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS!!! GREATEST THREAD EVER!!

Options

Replies

• bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

May I request you to please address the following queries?
    1. Am I doing the right thing? Do you suggest any change?
    2. Why is the weight not reducing further? I am intending to reduce it by 7 lbs more.

Request your advise.

1. If your goal is to gain muscle mass, and you are gaining around 0.2 - 0.5 lbs a week, then your doing fine. Due to your are, your testosterone levels are lower than that of a 18,19,20 year old who is building muscle, therefore it is much harder for you. It will take time.

2. You're chasing 2 birds with 1 stone. It is possible but highly unlikely that you can gain muscle while lose fat at the same time. I doubt you have the knowledge or the physiological sensitivity to do so. So focus on one thing at a time.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    great thread
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You use the 10 - 12 cals per 1 lb of total body weight to generate the rough amount of calories you should be eating for fat loss (in other words your calorie deficit level.) It factors in a reasonable amount of exercise so you wouldn't eat back exercise calories.

So, if I weigh 200 lbs I would eat somewhere between 2000 - 2,400 calories per day to start losing weight.

The way it works is this. 10 cals per 1lb of total body weight roughly equates to BMR for women, and 11 cals per 1lb of total body weight roughly equates to the BMR for men.

Therefore if you eat this amount your calorie deficit will be created by all the other elements which amount for the calorie out side of the energy balance equation: daily activity (NEAT/SPA) planned exercise (TEA) and energy cost of eating (TEF)

The higher end of the amount (12 cals per 1lbs of total body weight) does amount to maintenance calories for a completely sedentary person and would therefore be more useful as a calorie deficit starting point for someone who engages in quite a lot of exercise.)

I think it's a great way of getting a reasonable starting point but as said above you don't need to knock anything off it to start losing weight.
    [/quote]

Thank you for the info.
  • soontobemeagain
    soontobemeagain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Whoa! I forgot all about this thread, I will get back to answering all the questions left behind in my absence/banning!!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • satishpendse
    satishpendse Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your useful insights. They will definitely help me to realign myself. Tricksee, eagerly awaiting your response too.
  • bakergirl178
    Options
    i've been trying to go from 135 lbs to 115 lbs for the past year. 18 years old, female, 5'6", my bmr is about 1500 but i play sports and weight train. I've made it to about 126-7, but i haven't gotten toned even after cardio and weights, and measurements haven't changed at all! have I been losing muscle or fat? I eat 1500-1800 cals on days that i have practice and weights, and 1400-1700 on days that i just have practice.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    1. I was reducing about 1 lbs per week for six months. I was controlling my diet to 1350-1400 cals per day and was burning calories thru brisk-walk and jogging.
    2. When I reduced 30 lbs, I decided to focus not only on weight reduction but also increase muscle-mass. For this purpose, I increased my protein intake by having SSN Whey protein supplement giving 22 gms protein per day. Also started alternating between walk-jog and basic level circuit training. I also added butter-milk to my lunch, thus overall calories intake goes to 1500-1550 calories daily.
    3. This change is made for past one month.
    4. Now while I am feeling the increase of muscle mass, further weight reduction is not happening.Rather weight first increased 4 lbs and now has reduced by those 4 lbs again.
    5. My height is 5'11", weight reduced from 195 lbs to 165, age 48 years. I follow Indian vegetarian diet.

May I request you to please address the following queries?
    1. Am I doing the right thing? Do you suggest any change?
    2. Why is the weight not reducing further? I am intending to reduce it by 7 lbs more.

Request your advise.

HI there, listen up and listen close, sir.

Firstly well done on your 30lbs fat loss and also entering the ‘best thread in the history of the universe!’

That’s some sterling work you’ve done so far and shows me you’re serious and dedicated to what you’re trying to achieve. (unlike a small minority of people on here, and they know who they are, who come into my thread to whine and b*tch about how bad my advice is. Moving on…

You’ll be happy to know I read your story and I have came up with the answer.

I SUGGEST CHANGE!!! Why? Read on, bro…

You say “I decided to focus not only on weight reduction but also increase muscle-mass”.
    Now, people can say what they like about the so called “bro-science” that bodybuilders use. Some of them are clever guys who know what they’re talking about and there is good reason that they split their eating habits into two depending on what they’re trying to achieve.

If you don’t know these terms, learn them now…

BULKING – when you are intentionally in a state of caloric surplus for an extended period of time with the intent to maximize muscle growth.

Cutting – when you are intentionally in a state of caloric deficit for an extended period of time with the intent to maximize fat loss…

You, my friend are trying to accomplish both, which I think is not totally IMPOSSIBLE for certain people, but very, very difficult for someone YOUR height/weight. (Which is spookily similar to mine)

My honest advice is to do either one or the other. You should either lose the fat you’d like and hit your goal to create a good BASE to then start recruiting muscle-mass (Which I’m doing). Or go all out on the muscle building and reduce your excess fat only once you’ve made sufficient muscle gains.

It’s also unlikely you’re making any real increase in muscle mass on 1500-1550 calories ESPECIALLY with those cardio activities. You’re probably still losing FAT (I know you said you’re not seeing that on the scale, but scales don’t mean *kitten* to me and I hope they never get mentioned in this thread again) and the muscle mass ‘increase’ your experiencing is simply the muscle you already had appearing more defined .

So, in a nutshell if you git bored of reading the above. Increase your calories, increase your protein to 0.7g to 1g per LBM and get to the gym ASAP. When you're at your goal, either Reduce calories to MAINTENANCE and do light cardio twice/three a week or reduce calories to -300 ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boom!!
  • satishpendse
    Options
    Thanks Tricksee for your words of appreciation and thanks a ton for your advise. As usual, you are to the point, precise without mincing any words and sharp on target. I take your advise and will try my best to follow it as close as possible.

Thanks a ton once again.

Regards

Satish
  • satishpendse
    Options
    One more question on the same thread.

I now know how to reduce my weight by 1 lbs per week; however I don't know how much time it takes to increase muscle mass by 1% and what needs to be done to achieve say 6% increase in muscle mass. I understand that I need to hit a gym and work on strength exercises; however how much is needed for what period to increase muscle mass by every percent point is unclear. Request help.
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Lol. I started reading this thread and about 10 posts in was confused as hell, so...'fck it. i'd rather exercise than try to make sense of this"
  • nationallazer
    Options
    OK here is my questions I ve been working out almost everyday on the crossramp total body machine for 2months and throw in some body blast classes and strength training machines, usually total work out in a day is about 45mins, Ive been eating back most of my calories but now Ive started to gain weight by 2 pounds which has been on for 2 weeks now and I dont seem to be losing any weight any more, what I`m I doing wrong??

Please help, p.s. going away for a week to cuba should I try to work out or just have a great time??

Thanks
    JJ
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw

I seriously HAVE to do this....all of it.....I NEED it...
  • mylifesjourney
    mylifesjourney Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    OK here is my questions I ve been working out almost everyday on the crossramp total body machine for 2months and throw in some body blast classes and strength training machines, usually total work out in a day is about 45mins, Ive been eating back most of my calories but now Ive started to gain weight by 2 pounds which has been on for 2 weeks now and I dont seem to be losing any weight any more, what I`m I doing wrong??

Please help, p.s. going away for a week to cuba should I try to work out or just have a great time??

Thanks
    JJ

are your key measurements decreasing?