Ppl burning 1000+ cal per workout: WHAT IS YOUR SECRET!?

Options

Replies

• TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    1000 calories in an hour would be fairly hard for me right now. The closest I come to that kind of burn is during brazilian jiujitsu sparring (drilling and warm ups are nowhere near that) and jumping rope. Those are two super high intensity activities that I can sustain for more than a few minutes. I can't think of any other exercise I could sustain that long that would come close. Even then, I'd be surprised if it were even 900 calories for those.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I wear a HR monitor when I work out and I've found that some of the machines at the gym are way off base on the calories they post and some are "fairly close". And the calories that are listed here aren't so accurate either so I only take credit for what my HR monitor actually say's I burn. I can burn 500-600 during an hour boxing class or spin depending on the exercision. Best bet is to get yourself a good HR monitor so you know for sure what you are actually burning. Good Luck
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I ran ~13 miles...
    on a rugged, mountainy trail...
    with 1/2 of it off course through woods...
    on a 50F degree day with water in mid 30sF...
    with 11 water crossings/swims...
    with two 20 foot cliff jumps...
    in a full body (ankles to neck to wrists) wetsuit...
    with camelback of 2L of water...
    in 4 hours and 3 mins...
    and burned 3690 according to my HRM.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I burn up to 700 calories an hour when doing interval training - I'm not heavy and I use a Heart Rate Monitor - I just keep my heart rate in check the entire time. On interval days it's higher than when I run - but I can't run that fast anyway.

intervals consist of jumping rope, burpees, walking lunges with weights, pop squats, prisoner squats. The stairmaster gets my heart rate up, as does working with the Olympic bar doing complexes like the bear complex.

On weights days I don't just lift - I do some sort of cardio inbetween for :30 to keep my heart rate up - high knees, burpees, walking lunges, etc. If I'm not sweating my butt off or grimacing because the activity is challenging then I do something to change that.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I ran ~13 miles...
    in 4 hours and 3 mins...

Was that a race? I've read about one where you run/swim/run/etc. curious if that is what you did.
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It was a training run/ practice lap for a real event on March 30. The real event is the same 13.1 mile lap that I ran but you see how many times you can go around the lap in 12 hours. I am unable to run the real event due to other commitments, but the training lap was AWESOME!
    I ran ~13 miles...
    in 4 hours and 3 mins...

Was that a race? I've read about one where you run/swim/run/etc. curious if that is what you did.
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    Seemslegit_zps685cce06.jpg
  • amolina0810
    amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I burn anywhere from 1000-1200 calories on my long runs! I am talking 8-10 miles here and running at a decent pace for well over an hour to about an hour and a half. Heart rate stays in the 160-170 bpm range.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I used to burn more than this per day per my HRM when I was working out an hour and a half. I dropped down to 30-45 minute workouts burning only about 400-500 calories per workout because I did not want to bump my calorie goal up too high. Circuit training at very high intensity, plyometric workouts, jumping rope, all have ridiculously high burns. My sandbag training does as well.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    It was a training run/ practice lap for a real event on March 30. The real event is the same 13.1 mile lap that I ran but you see how many times you can go around the lap in 12 hours. I am unable to run the real event due to other commitments, but the training lap was AWESOME!
    I ran ~13 miles...
    in 4 hours and 3 mins...

Not the same one but that sounds fun in a crazy way.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Seemslegit_zps685cce06.jpg

:)

You could say the same about HRMs too.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've done 1000+ with a full day of skiing, hard game of basketball, working my *kitten* off on a rowing machine for 2 hours, etc.

I have trouble believing a lot of the 1000+ calorie reports on MFP, even some in this thread, unfortunately. But, whatever works for you- if a bigger number gets you inspired and helps you lose, go for it!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    For me, a 1000 calorie workout is a 90 minute ride at 20 mph+.

Not exactly an impossible workout, but not an easy one either. Certainly not a workout everyone can do.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    Mountain biking. It's hardly a workout. It's recreational!
  • sarah0709
    sarah0709 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on how big you are and how fit, I know I burn more than most of my friends because I still weigh a lot. I would recommend HRM's as mfp doesn't get it right at all! Best burns for me tend to be Zumba or high intensity aerobics.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I just burned 465 Cal running 3.75 miles in 29 minutes. That's ALMOST 1000 KCal/hr.
    Last week, I burned 760 Cal running 6 miles in 49 minutes. That's 900 KCal/hr
    The week before, I burned 935 Cal running 8 miles in 69 minutes. Obviously that's less then 1000 KCal/hr ;) (only 813/hr)

Last time I was able to bike outside, way back in November, I burned 980 Cal going 18 miles in 64 minutes. That's 920/hr.
    Last September, I biked 19 miles in 68 minutes and burned 1060 Cal. 935 KCal/hr
    Last Summer, I biked 28 miles in 93 minutes and burned 1700 Cal. That one was 1095 Cal/hr.

(6'-0", 150-160 lbs)
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I weigh more than you, but it would still take me over an hour of high intensity cardio, per my HRM. And I would be concerned that I spent too much time in an anaerobic hr zone for that number to really be accurate.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Here's my tip:

run lots of miles, be pretty heavy, be pretty fast

8 miles at 7:30 pace = 1,000 or so in an hour (if you weigh 180)

I like to do that for my weekly tempo run, the rest of the time I run slower

anybody calling BS is welcome to join me for a run
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    I was thinking about this a lot today and I came to a conclusion:

1) Don't worry about what other people's caloric burns are.

2) Worry about your own caloric burns only in so far as you compare them to previous workouts. So, you may or may not have burned 1000 calories, but compare the burn shown to the burn from a similar workout (only applicable with HRM). Did you burn more under the same amount of time? Did you go for longer but less of a burn? What can you do to improve?

Thus, the conclusion is that caloric burn doesn't matter except to compare current performance to past performance. Even still, you have so much other information at your disposal: intensity level on the cardio machine, heart rate zones, weight lifted, reps lifted, number of sets, inches gained/lost.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    arc918 I'll join you for a run any time.

I log 30 to 50 miles a week running mostly at a 10 minute mile. I'm 6' and 260. Accounding to the tredmill I burn 220 cal per 10 minutes my heart rate monitor say about the same maybe a little less, depending on the day. I calulate 175 calories per mile to be safe. So in an hour I'll burn 1050. So yes people burn that much in an hour. It's possible. But why do you care. Just be happy they're out there working out.