Signature Foods for Where You Live?

Options
louisey112
louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
I live in Pittsburgh, and one of our signature foods is from a place called Primanti Brothers where they put your meat, coleslaw and fries all togeher on a sandwich .. no side dishes! We also are the home of Heinz Ketchup so if you use any other kind, it's pure blashphemy .. plus it's the best anyway so why would we??? We also like what I like to call "hunky" foods - things like pierogies and pigs in the blanket (a/k/a stuffed cabbage). Oh, and french fries are a topping for our salads .. it's how we roll.

I love the visuals!

primantis_zps85f635ec.jpg

How does your town roll?

Replies

• Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    My Hometown of Philly is obviously known for Cheesesteaks, but less known for Philly Pretzels, which I think is the hidden gem. There are no pretzels like Philly pretzels.

Also, Hoagies were invented in Philly.

When i lived in Charleston, SC the signature dish was She Crab soup...so d@mn good and Frogmore Stew.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Cuban food!!!
    and
    Coconuts!!
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I guess we have In-n-Out but that's slowly spreading out. Used to only be SoCal. They will make a burger any way you want it, like the 6x6, 6 patties 6 pieces of cheese. And then there's the Animal Style. But that you have to try to find out.
  • sportzmom23
    sportzmom23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Spiedies! There is even a Spiedie Fest now. Basically a special marinating sauce, over chicken, beef, prok, lamb. YUM.
  • cedman1
    cedman1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Chi-town: Deep Dish Pizza
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Dayton, Ohio while not known for a food....is where the first ice tray was patented as well as the cash register so you can buy your signature food.

An hour south in Cincinnati (Cincinasty) They have Cincinnati style Chili which has beans, uses some cinnamon, and is put over spaghetti noodles.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Corn-on-the-Cob.jpg

pork+chop.JPG

004a.jpg

can you guess where I'm from??? :laugh:

looks like we live in the same state :smile:
  • AIZZO4
    AIZZO4 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Detroit=Coney Dogs.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I am from Buffalo so of course we are know for our Chicken Wings!! I have traveled to a lot of places and have yet to find anywhere that even comes close to our Wings!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I guess we have In-n-Out but that's slowly spreading out. Used to only be SoCal. They will make a burger any way you want it, like the 6x6, 6 patties 6 pieces of cheese. And then there's the Animal Style. But that you have to try to find out.

I know im in the minority, but ive never had a good burger at in & out. not a fan.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Louisville - Hot Brown

It's so bad for you, but so yummy....an open-faced sandwich of turkey and bacon, covered in mornay sauce and baked or broiled until the bread is crisp and the sauce begins to brown...

250px-Hot_Brown_Kurtz_zps87421431.jpg
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Cuban food!!!
    and
    Coconuts!!

Miami?
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Worcestershire Sauce! I used to live just round the corner from the factory - believe me, it's not as pretty as the picture would have you believe!

018222_885f8070.jpg
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Detroit=Coney Dogs.

^^THIS. Most famous place in a hole-in-the-wall joint called Lafayette Coney Island.

2zpp0y1.jpg
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Detroit=Coney Dogs.
    :drinker:

and if you go "up North" in Michigan, they're known for the Pasty (not to be confused with pasties..as worn by strippers :laugh: )

220px-Cornish_pasty_-_cut.jpeg
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    there's not really a signature food here, but these probably could be called "unique" to here and other Mountain West states

Bison
    Rocky Mountain Oysters

pro-tip: you don't want the Rocky Mountain Oysters. they are not oysters.
  • Heather4nne
    Heather4nne Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Fried bologna and mashed potatoes. So. Good. Pretty common for the whole Canadian East coast. Same with corned beef and cabbage.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Detroit=Coney Dogs.

^^THIS. Most famous place in a hole-in-the-wall joint called Lafayette Coney Island.
    Most famous coney wars...
    mlive.com_.jpg
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    .....pigs in the blanket (a/k/a stuffed cabbage).....

Here, pigs in a blanket are sausage rolls, a sausage rolled up in a dough and baked or fried.

I'm from Oklahoma. We don't really have anything special I can think of... just a lot of fried things. A LOT.