Online Dating, Yay or Nay

Options

Replies

• kxlly
    kxlly Posts: 21
    Options
    Do it! I met my husband on a ...kinkier... dating site. I'm shy, and it's difficult for me to meet people, so it worked for me fantastically.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I still have no idea how someone could possibly gleam any sort of attitude from 30s worth of conversation but if you want to swear to it fine. I'm sure tons can be read in to, "Hi my name is Will." Speaks volumes. Pretty much sums up my entire being. Seriously. It doesn't get past that. There has to be a looks based reason. Especially when all around women are talking to more fit guys. Seriously, was their approach different? Did they say "hello" different? You people have no clue what you're talking about.

Dude, you seriously need to stop talking. Looks are purely subjective. What one finds attractive, another does not. It is very easy to take what you don't like about yourself and assign that as the reason for all of your woes. Hell, I have zero luck with women. I'm not great looking, so it would be easy to blame it on that. But I'm not really bad looking either, so that's prolly not the case. I have a great job, own my home, my car, my truck, my motorcycle, all that jazz. I could easily blame it on my having two kids, but the fact that my I am actually raising my kids as a single dad generally turns that into a plus in more womens book that you would imagine.

Nope, what it all boils down to is personality. The fact is that I am just so shy that I can't have a conversation with someone I don't really know. And that keeps me from meeting people. Now I have never seen you anywhere but this thread. But to be honest, your personality sucks. You believe you will be rejected based on your looks. I can promise you that comes across in your body language, and not many women are going to find that attractive.
  • herlittlegreendress
    herlittlegreendress Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I met online. Of course, I'd prefer to not have met on the internet because I feel like we missed out on that mushy romantic "how we met" love story. Even so, I felt much the same way...where was I going to find someone? There's no men my age at the office, church, friend groups, or gym (I went to Curves back then). It took a lot of duds to find the right one so definitely be careful, open, and never ever compromise yourself. You deserve the best in a significant other. (and vice versa!)

Regarding body image, I was SO SCARED to date while being as overweight as I am but I stayed honest (got rejected by many) and finally found my boyfriend who has been absolutely wonderful. I feel safe and complete knowing that he loves me just as I am now. Losing the weight will simply be a bonus in his eyes! In addition, I'll never have that pressure and fear of him leaving should I ever gain weight back in the future...Which is not in the plan, mind you, but I'm thinking about babies here. Heheh :)

Best wishes!
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Both of my parents (after they divorced) signed up for pof.com (plenty of fish). Both of them found nice people, my dad is still with the first woman he found, but it took my mom quite a few dates to find a nice guy and this one she has now seems very nice! *Beware my mom received quite a few "gross" messages*
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I don't get what's so bad about a guy that finds you attractive at your goal weight.

You think just because he dates you when your chubby that makes him more genuine?

Also, on the flip side you may meet a man who is only going out with you because your chubby. That's definately a thing.

And this may make you not want to work out at all... Believe me Im going through this as we speak, but you have to do whats best for you!

Yeah, my weightloss has nothing to do with being accepted or not and purely for the fact that I'm scared of ending up in poor health like my mother. I mean, granted... when you look this good it can only get better as my health gets better.. but still. I don't care if someone likes me skinny or fat or if that is anyone's preference... my only concern is that someone like me for ME. What's on the inside. I feel like I am a pretty sweet *kitten* chick and when I was thinner it was all about my looks and even as I'm bigger looks still play a lot into. I had a guy tell me he was a chubby chaser... but I don't care about that because what if I flucuate again? What if i get pregnant and everything gets wacky? would they leave me if I got thin? If a guy is into chubby women would he leave me because I lose weight? That's why I feel like this is a good time. Because they can see me big, small, they can see me struggle and my ups and downs and if they can see all that and still like me through ALL of that... then they really are worth it. I have NEVER I repeart NEVER been in love, I have dated A LOT... other things a bit too... but never gave my heart because I'm waiting for that... and yeah, a lot of people say to just stop looking it will happen... but I know plenty of people who are looking and it happend SO... that being said. I will continue to focus on me, losing weight, enjoying life and being the best me I can possibly be... and at the same time, enjoy looking to see what is out there. I mean... what can be wrong with that? Right?

sorry, you kind of got the blunt force of a universal reply to a few people's post on here. lol.
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    No luck with online dating yet... most people vanish when they find out I'm in a wheelchair. As in, conversation is going well, everything seems cool, then I casually mention this, and... no more responses. Yikes. And those who aren't scared by it don't end up being a match in the long term.

Still waiting for the one...

Ouch, yep that's a fail when people drop off the face of the earth because of the minor details. I've met so many folks from all sorts of backgrounds, personal issues, health and physical disabilities, but that should never make them that less of an attraction or less of a person to know, converse with, etc.

BTW, what's caused you to be in a wheelchair if you don't mind me asking. I hope you have a great bunch of love ones and unconditional support.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    and yeah, a lot of people say to just stop looking it will happen... but I know plenty of people who are looking and it happend SO... that being said. I will continue to focus on me, losing weight, enjoying life and being the best me I can possibly be... and at the same time, enjoy looking to see what is out there. I mean... what can be wrong with that? Right?
    I think you are right and I wish you the best of luck, and hope you have a wonderful time! :flowerforyou:
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options
    and yeah, a lot of people say to just stop looking it will happen... but I know plenty of people who are looking and it happend SO... that being said. I will continue to focus on me, losing weight, enjoying life and being the best me I can possibly be... and at the same time, enjoy looking to see what is out there. I mean... what can be wrong with that? Right?
    I think you are right and I wish you the best of luck, and hope you have a wonderful time! :flowerforyou:

Why thank you, my dear! I'm sure I will have a wonderful time!!! And if the dates are terrible then they will just end up make great stories... it could go into my own version of HIMYM... "Kid's this is the story of how I met your father..." lol
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options
    just discovered this gem online

Title: How To Win at Online Dating

In the spirit of these blogs, I present to you a .Gif post of my successful, patent pending approach to dating.

First, sign up for an online dating site because you have trouble meeting people sober and you LOVE the internet.

heartvom.gif

Mostly because your social graces aren’t exactly polished

innapropriate.gif

So you try to write yourself a profile that highlights how awesome you are

tumblr_m68sbnlitH1rref19.gif

Then you show it to your friends for a second opinion (or, let’s be honest, to tell you how great your profile is, you witty genius you)

PARTAY.gif

Start looking up matches, overwhelmed by cute guys

tumblr_m62ogyA8mQ1rq3i7so1_500.gif

Find one that’s really cute

tumblr_m54jtirtwf1r7ka60.gif

Send him a ‘Flirt’ and feel really awesome about how confident you are making the first move

tumblr_m6k53ipGax1r1hzk0.gif

Wait for his message

tumblr_m39hz9sJuq1r0m915.gif

Fight the desire to e-stalk him based on his profile info

BECOOL.gif

Finally get a message back

OHGOODY.gif

It’s one sentence and he misspells 50% of the words in it

tumblr_m5beca1uc11rwiksfo2_250.gif

Decide you’re too cool for him anyway

SAWGU.gif

Keep’ looking till you find someone better. Someone like

tumblr_m4b82uXnae1r011tlo1_500.gif

the end

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    So I recently received some very sound advice from a friend of mine. They suggested that I should start looking at dating NOW during this process that way I can weed out the ones who like me for me and not for my being skinny when I reach my goal.

there are so many things wrong with this that I don't even know where to start. :noway:

as far as the online dating . . . I've never done it . . . intentionally. I met my boyfriend here. We have common interests and similar personalities. Neither of us was looking to meet someone. That's usually the best approach IMO.

Love this girl!...and no, I'm not her boyfriend, though I live about ten miles from him. Two more absolutely incredible people you'll not likely find.

To the OP...when it comes to online dating...here are my ONLY real experiences...over the last two years.

First girl, lived 158 miles from my front door. I spent three months driving there and back at minimum one, but usually two or more times a week. Then I found out she was a prostitute.

Second girl, almost a year later. Literally perfect for three weeks. I guess the moon phase changed or something though, because then she went psycho bipolar (still doesn't seem to have recovered from that), dumped me, slept with some guy two days later, and spent the next three months trying to get me back (including the month she was dating him).

Third girl, we met...seemed incredibly sweet, went over to her house to watch movies, went home. Nothing else happened. A couple days later I was attacked via myspace message by her ex GIRLFRIEND who'd found out about me by hacking her email...for 'f*cking the love of her life'. Apparently, the girl was a lesbian who'd invited me over specifically for sex (that didn't work out so well)...just so she could be absolutely sure whether she was gay or not. We're actually pretty good friends now though.

Other than that, I've been literally pretty much ignored. I got messages once in awhile...usually from women I had no real attraction to (and before you call me shallow, there's a HOST of reasons for no attraction...appearance is just one of them). On occasion I got a message from a girl I WOULD be attracted to, but she invariably ended up a flake (as in...I'm not even sure why she was on the site...no interest in meeting, no interest in really talking...uhh...why the eff did you send the initial message?!). The messages I've sent out, were almost universally deleted without being read. I've never learned why. I'm not boring, I'm pretty good at holding a conversation as a matter of fact. I don't think I'm ugly...though only Jac might call me pretty. I never have figured it out. Now understand...I doubt there's anyone on this message board (except a young lady named Shiboshi), who would accuse me of having a negative, or poor attitude...so that's certainly not going to be it. In the end I've started to feel that it absolutely does comes down to attraction as well, but not just based on looks. Most (sane) women just don't seem to be interested in what I'm wanting to give.

Such is life.

But don't let my experiences dissuade you. Eventually I'll find the right kind of psycho (that seems to be all my pond is stocked with...you make do with what you're given lol) for me, I'm sure of it...and I'm sure you will too :).
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have to say Yay only because I met my husband thru an online dating site.. We have been together over 10 years and Married for 9 this June.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    So I recently received some very sound advice from a friend of mine. They suggested that I should start looking at dating NOW during this process that way I can weed out the ones who like me for me and not for my being skinny when I reach my goal.

there are so many things wrong with this that I don't even know where to start. :noway:

as far as the online dating . . . I've never done it . . . intentionally. I met my boyfriend here. We have common interests and similar personalities. Neither of us was looking to meet someone. That's usually the best approach IMO.

Love this girl!...and no, I'm not her boyfriend, though I live about ten miles from him. Two more absolutely incredible people you'll not likely find.

To the OP...when it comes to online dating...here are my ONLY real experiences...over the last two years.

First girl, lived 158 miles from my front door. I spent three months driving there and back at minimum one, but usually two or more times a week. Then I found out she was a prostitute.

Second girl, almost a year later. Literally perfect for three weeks. I guess the moon phase changed or something though, because then she went psycho bipolar (still doesn't seem to have recovered from that), dumped me, slept with some guy two days later, and spent the next three months trying to get me back (including the month she was dating him).

Third girl, we met...seemed incredibly sweet, went over to her house to watch movies, went home. Nothing else happened. A couple days later I was attacked via myspace message by her ex GIRLFRIEND who'd found out about me by hacking her email...for 'f*cking the love of her life'. Apparently, the girl was a lesbian who'd invited me over specifically for sex (that didn't work out so well)...just so she could be absolutely sure whether she was gay or not.

Other than that, I've been literally pretty much ignored. I got messages once in awhile...usually from women I had no real attraction to (and before you call me shallow, there's a HOST of reasons for no attraction...appearance is just one of them). On occasion I got a message from a girl I WOULD be attracted to, but she invariably ended up a flake (as in...I'm not even sure why she was on the site...no interest in meeting, no interest in really talking...uhh...why the eff did you send the initial message?!). The messages I've sent out, were almost universally deleted without being read. I've never learned why. I'm not boring, I'm pretty good at holding a conversation as a matter of fact. I don't think I'm ugly...though only Jac might call me pretty. I never have figured it out. Now understand...I doubt there's anyone on this message board (except a young lady named Shiboshi), who would accuse me of having a negative, or poor attitude...so that's certainly not going to be it. In the end I've started to feel that it absolutely does comes down to attraction as well, but not just based on looks. Most (sane) women just don't seem to be interested in what I'm wanting to give.

Such is life.

But don't let my experiences dissuade you. Eventually I'll find the right kind of psycho (that seems to be all my pond is stocked with...you make do with what you're given lol) for me, I'm sure of it...and I'm sure you will too :).

Dude...i'd totally date you....for realz....there's just the really really itchy issue of distance.....so I shelved that thought....

but I thought it....do I get points?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Dude...i'd totally date you....for realz....there's just the really really itchy issue of distance.....so I shelved that thought....

but I thought it....do I get points?

Aww...thanks Lauren :).

I guess I do have to say that's an optional prerequisite to wanting to date me. You have to be insane, or there has to be 1500 linear miles or more of distance, give or take.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    Online dating for men: Send out 10,000 letters. Get one response.

Online dating for women: Receive 10,000 letters. Respond to only hottest guys.

There's definitely a huge exaggeration here, but I can sense where you are going with this. There's some truth here, but you should learn from it and not complain about it.

Any halfway decent looking female is going to get inundated with tons of emails, that's a fact. Knowing this, why even play the game? Focus on meeting women where the odds are in your favor, this can mean the dog park, grocery store, upscale bar, etc. Go to a dog park, introduce yourself, and talk about your dogs. It takes some balls, but your odds are MUCH better than online dating.

I'm not going to "poo poo" online dating because I've met some pretty awesome people (some even turned out to be good friends) off of there. But, online dating is like going to a sports bar. There's a ton of males all competing for a few decent looking women who happen to be at the bar that night.

Get offline and get a dog.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options
    What about a cat park? Do you know where a cat park is? What if my cat doesn't play well with other cats?
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    just discovered this gem online

Title: How To Win at Online Dating

In the spirit of these blogs, I present to you a .Gif post of my successful, patent pending approach to dating.

First, sign up for an online dating site because you have trouble meeting people sober and you LOVE the internet.

heartvom.gif

Mostly because your social graces aren’t exactly polished

innapropriate.gif

So you try to write yourself a profile that highlights how awesome you are

tumblr_m68sbnlitH1rref19.gif

Then you show it to your friends for a second opinion (or, let’s be honest, to tell you how great your profile is, you witty genius you)

PARTAY.gif

Start looking up matches, overwhelmed by cute guys

tumblr_m62ogyA8mQ1rq3i7so1_500.gif

Find one that’s really cute

tumblr_m54jtirtwf1r7ka60.gif

Send him a ‘Flirt’ and feel really awesome about how confident you are making the first move

tumblr_m6k53ipGax1r1hzk0.gif

Wait for his message

tumblr_m39hz9sJuq1r0m915.gif

Fight the desire to e-stalk him based on his profile info

BECOOL.gif

Finally get a message back

OHGOODY.gif

It’s one sentence and he misspells 50% of the words in it

tumblr_m5beca1uc11rwiksfo2_250.gif

Decide you’re too cool for him anyway

SAWGU.gif

Keep’ looking till you find someone better. Someone like

tumblr_m4b82uXnae1r011tlo1_500.gif

the end

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

CLASSIC ... LOL
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I'd say the general problem is women set an unreasonable level of attractiveness that is required. If you're over a certain weight you're done with most women. Period. Not cool. My attitudes are formed based off how I've been treated. If women dated a wider variety of guys I'd have no issue with them.
    [/quote]

Are you kidding me? I'm sorry, but in my experience men are WAY more looks oriented than women. I've dated guys considered much less attractive than me and so have many of my female friends. My overweight and socially awkward brother on the other hand is only attracted to thin young girls and as a result has never had a girlfriend and is 35.

I agree with the poster that said it's your attitude putting women off.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    No luck with online dating yet... most people vanish when they find out I'm in a wheelchair. As in, conversation is going well, everything seems cool, then I casually mention this, and... no more responses. Yikes. And those who aren't scared by it don't end up being a match in the long term.

Still waiting for the one...

Ouch, yep that's a fail when people drop off the face of the earth because of the minor details. I've met so many folks from all sorts of backgrounds, personal issues, health and physical disabilities, but that should never make them that less of an attraction or less of a person to know, converse with, etc.

BTW, what's caused you to be in a wheelchair if you don't mind me asking. I hope you have a great bunch of love ones and unconditional support.
    I was born with Spina Bifida. The way I was raised I was not consciously aware of being handicapped because I was not treated in such a way, or told I couldn't do something because of it - to this day I rarely, if ever, think about it and just roll (no pun intended) with it.

So when I'm writing these online dating profiles, since my handicap doesn't define me, and doesn't effect my life in any major way, I don't really feel it's necessary to delve so deep into it, thinking that people would not be so weird about it, since I myself don't make it a big deal. I don't view my wheelchair as a tool - to me it is a physical part of me, so I don't think about it much.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    yes. okcupid is good from my experience, don't know about the others
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I'm fat.

All the ladies on my friends list want me...it's ridic how much I have to fend them off...

But, my attitude for the most part is awesome...

it's the truth....

we FALL over ourselves to get to Tyler.....(sorry Dani...just.....sorry...)

Back the FCK up bishes!!!! :angry:

MINE.