Replies

• amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    sexy as f**k
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I think OP hasn't been around very long to see how these threads go.

A bunch of people in support of muscle will post pics.

Other people will say it's gross.

Body shaming flies in all directions.
    *yawn*

same old same old

BORING.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up to muscles. They're so useful! I'd hate to try to garden without them and am working pretty hard at the gym to get more.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    The term "masculine" is obnoxious, as is the term "feminine", because the traits attached to them are arbitrary. They are defined however the person defining them wants to define them, meaning they are useless for reflecting reality.

Muscles do work. They exist to move the body to which they are attached, and influence the world around which surrounds said body. The requirements for work from the environment do not care about a status of "male" or "female". When you have a flat tire and you need to jack up the car to take the old tire off, the tire jack does not say "Oh, well, you're a female, so I'll make it easier on you, because your muscles aren't designed to do this kind of stuff."

The idea that muscles are "masculine" comes from the idea that women aren't supposed to look intimidating, or that they could make a physical difference in their world. Men with muscles are seen as people who can do things, who can make a physical difference, and it's intimidating. To be considered "feminine" in this society, you need to go towards the opposite end of that spectrum, because so much of the definition of "feminine" relies on outward appearances being softer and less able to do work.

It is a gender assignment that we learn from society, not one that comes from the natural order of the world. Muscles are needed to influence the world around us, because they allow us to do work. It doesn't matter how big or small those muscles are, because they just need to do work. Assigning arbitrary levels of "attractiveness" based on gender expectations in society doesn't serve any purpose, because it just distracts from what muscles REALLY are: Tools to do work, and not a manifestation of "maleness" or "femaleness".
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    The term "masculine" is obnoxious, as is the term "feminine", because the traits attached to them are arbitrary. They are defined however the person defining them wants to define them, meaning they are useless for reflecting reality.

Muscles do work. They exist to move the body to which they are attached, and influence the world around which surrounds said body. The requirements for work from the environment do not care about a status of "male" or "female". When you have a flat tire and you need to jack up the car to take the old tire off, the tire jack does not say "Oh, well, you're a female, so I'll make it easier on you, because your muscles aren't designed to do this kind of stuff."

The idea that muscles are "masculine" comes from the idea that women aren't supposed to look intimidating, or that they could make a physical difference in their world. Men with muscles are seen as people who can do things, who can make a physical difference, and it's intimidating. To be considered "feminine" in this society, you need to go towards the opposite end of that spectrum, because so much of the definition of "feminine" relies on outward appearances being softer and less able to do work.

It is a gender assignment that we learn from society, not one that comes from the natural order of the world. Muscles are needed to influence the world around us, because they allow us to do work. It doesn't matter how big or small those muscles are, because they just need to do work. Assigning arbitrary levels of "attractiveness" based on gender expectations in society doesn't serve any purpose, because it just distracts from what muscles REALLY are: Tools to do work, and not a manifestation of "maleness" or "femaleness".

/sigh...

Must. Behave...!
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Yes
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I think muscles look good on everyone.

^^^this
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Muscle=athleticsex
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Toned is different than muscular in my mind. Toned is fine, you don't jiggle when you wiggle, but muscular is icky to me. I have a friend who got into CrossFit and she's got man shoulders. I don't think that's sexy at all, she looked better before she started going all paelo-cross-fit crazy.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I like this:

strength-training-for-women.jpg

Don't like this:

strength-training-for-women-99.jpg

And definitely don't like this:

a97013_g009_5-rosemary.jpg

But that's just me! Everyone has different preferences, I just personally, don't like defined muscles on women. But I think a soft, yet 'toned' looking body of a woman who strength trains is gorgeous. The bottom line is, though, I think women strength training is a good thing .

Btw, Amyk225, your body is amazing.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Because you asked though...I'll give out my opinion. I like muscle on women...I also like a thin layer of bodyfat over it to smooth the rough edges the slightest bit. A little more or less of either is more than ok. The muscle itself is rarely the issue though when it comes to people's opinions on muscular women, it's how much bodyfat they carry over it. Google Tianna Ta...or better yet, I'll post some pictures.

During competition:
    draft_lens17300951module145890571photo_1294605513Tianna_Ta.jpg

During the off season:
    tianna_ta.jpg

The muscle underneath is exactly the same (trust me, that woman wouldn't let one ounce slip...it's too hard for women to build it back up!!), the only difference is the fat over the top of it.

Good luck with your goals!

Like this girl...yeah...not very attractive to me. In the first she looks crazy muscular except her obvious fake boobs which just look out of place, and on the bottom she is a bit scrawny (no hips). Beautiful face and hair though. That's just my opinion. We all think different things are attractive.

Here's a better picture. It's just the angle:

Tianna-Ta_usasexybody.jpg

She's got plenty decent hips lol.

Dear God, her body is gorgeous.

(I don't like it on season, though)

You make a very good point. I like muscle on women, I think what I don't like it muscle and low body fat.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Because you asked though...I'll give out my opinion. I like muscle on women...I also like a thin layer of bodyfat over it to smooth the rough edges the slightest bit. A little more or less of either is more than ok. The muscle itself is rarely the issue though when it comes to people's opinions on muscular women, it's how much bodyfat they carry over it. Google Tianna Ta...or better yet, I'll post some pictures.

During competition:
    draft_lens17300951module145890571photo_1294605513Tianna_Ta.jpg

I think that's pretty hot. I would LOVE to have a body like that.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I like this:

Yum

Don't like this:

Super Yum!

Meh.
  • IronMikeFox
    IronMikeFox Posts: 458
    Options
    I like muscles on women. Not only do I think it's hot from a physical standpoint, but the discipline and work ethic it takes to build that muscle is also a turn on. But that certainly does not mean I ONLY find girls with muscles attractive. I have seen women of almost every body type that I thought were very attractive. And of course, how a woman carries herself has a lot to do with it muscles or not. If having muscles means that a woman will feel more self-confident and therefor is more willing to dress sexy and show off a bit, then I am more than all for it!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I like this:

Yum

Don't like this:

Super Yum!

Meh.

This guy sums it up...although 1 and 2 are pretty equal to my taste. And again...to drive it home, the only real difference in their bodies, is a bit of bodyfat. Lean number 1 out, and she'd look pretty much just like number 2.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    the only real difference in their bodies, is a bit of bodyfat. Lean number 1 out, and she'd look pretty much just like number 2.

no way man.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    "Toned" has no standard definition. One could have good muscle tone and be fat. Or to a someone else a skinny girl is "toned". To others a little muscle with low body fat is "toned". The terminology of "toned" was to disguise weight lifting to appeal to feminine way of training.
    Since females SPEND MORE MONEY than men on personal improvement, "tone", "toning", etc. was marketed this way to fool women into thinking they weren't really lifting weights, when they actually were. Score for the fitness industry on this.
    What's now being realized as of late is that an average female doesn't have necessary hormones put on muscle like a man, so lifting with more resistance is becoming the norm.
    You'll still hear the "high reps/light weight" analogy (which is false) to "tone", but in reality all that person is doing is working on their muscular endurance.

Semantics, yeah probably to many, but I'd rather refer a squat as a squat, rather than call it up/downs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    the only real difference in their bodies, is a bit of bodyfat. Lean number 1 out, and she'd look pretty much just like number 2.

no way man.

Dude, you and I both know the second girl put a lot of work into her body...but the differences would be marginal to the average person if they had equal bodyfat. That was my point.
  • NelidaOtero
    NelidaOtero Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's about how you feel. Some people don't understand being fit and looking lean. Just like some people are happy being fat and don't care about working out or eating right. You're doing great all that matters is how you see yourself and if your husband likes it. :smile:
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options

no way man.

Dude, you and I both know the second girl put a lot of work into her body...but the differences would be marginal to the average person if they had equal bodyfat. That was my point.

I accept that.