Monsanto Protection Act

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    alright fine - NewLifeStyle4 made a good point a while back

what do YOU guys think the law says? forget all the rest of this tangential BS.

Here is an interpretation of the law from another perspective

http://blog.skepticallibertarian.com/2013/03/28/monsanto-protection-act-anti-gmo-conspiracy-theorists-lose-it-over-minor-deregulation/

I think what we really need is to find a legal interpretation since all of the interpretations I an find seem to be self serving rather that truth seeking.

i agree with that
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I don't think anything. I just read it.

that's weird. you don't form any opinion? you don't interpret its meaning? if you don't have any thoughts on the bill why are you posting in here?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

Here is an interpretation of the law from another perspective

http://blog.skepticallibertarian.com/2013/03/28/monsanto-protection-act-anti-gmo-conspiracy-theorists-lose-it-over-minor-deregulation/

I think what we really need is to find a legal interpretation since all of the interpretations I an find seem to be self serving rather that truth seeking.

I'm not a professional in interpreting environmental law or one of Reddy's "experts" (blog writer), but I fully expect the truth to be closer to that that the quack factory version
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

that's weird. you don't form any opinion? you don't interpret its meaning? if you don't have any thoughts on the bill why are you posting in here?

I read it, the letters form words and I know what the words mean. I'm not sure what is hard about that.

I don't need an outside source to tell me what they think those words mean.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Can we not get at each other please. I simply chose to ignore all the digs at me, so can you.

It's called biotechnology if you look on the agencies website. - EPA, USDA, APHIS and FDA all have a hand in regulation and non-regulation of food and crops.

It gives them 6 months of protection. until "studies" are completed.. by then the market will be flooded, just like the soybean. Would almost put money on an "extension" being granted....
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    A few aspects of GMO that haven't been mentioned here yet is the safety of our food supply.

1. Monsanto has introduced "killer genes" into it's seeds. Once the crop is harvested, the seed from the harvest cannot be saved and replanted next season because it is now dead, unable to reproduce. Monsanto now gets to sell its special seeds all over again to the farmer that used to be able to save seeds.

2. Bees....

3. They now have a genetically altered salmon that, if accidentally is released into the wild will cross with natural salmon. It is said that if this happens, salmon as we know it will be extinct in 20 years.

4. Some seeds made by Monsanto are designed to withstand heavy doses of herbicide. An unaltered crop would die from this heavy dose of herbicide, but not Monsanto's miracle crop. And guess who gets to eat all that herbicide? Naturally, a new super weed is developing - survival of the fittest - and so even more herbicide needs to be dumped on our food.

The Center for Food Safety is an organization that fights for farmers and consumers rights against the GMO industry. It's through their website and emails that I know when to contact my representatives and voice my opinion. http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I read it, the letters form words and I know what the words mean. I'm not sure what is hard about that.

i'm asking YOU what YOU think they mean!
  • mrphil86
    Options

Here, I'll help you out.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Here, I'll help you out.

wow. you're a winner. so you have no idea what the law actually says. you claim you don't need an outside source to inform you, but yet you can't even tell me what you think it means.

i gotta hand it to you, you have earned your hat.
  • mrphil86
    Options

Here, I'll help you out.

wow. you're a winner. so you have no idea what the law actually says. you claim you don't need an outside source to inform you, but yet you can't even tell me what you think it means.

Do you even know what "Tinfoil Hat" even means?

Pretty sure you don't have the slightest clue.
  • ryry_
    Options
    A few aspects of GMO that haven't been mentioned here yet is the safety of our food supply.

1. Monsanto has introduced "killer genes" into it's seeds. Once the crop is harvested, the seed from the harvest cannot be saved and replanted next season because it is now dead, unable to reproduce. Monsanto now gets to sell its special seeds all over again to the farmer that used to be able to save seeds.

2. Bees....

3. They now have a genetically altered salmon that, if accidentally is released into the wild will cross with natural salmon. It is said that if this happens, salmon as we know it will be extinct in 20 years.

4. Some seeds made by Monsanto are designed to withstand heavy doses of herbicide. An unaltered crop would die from this heavy dose of herbicide, but not Monsanto's miracle crop. And guess who gets to eat all that herbicide? Naturally, a new super weed is developing - survival of the fittest - and so even more herbicide needs to be dumped on our food.

The Center for Food Safety is an organization that fights for farmers and consumers rights against the GMO industry. It's through their website and emails that I know when to contact my representatives and voice my opinion. http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/

My Friend owns a small acre farm in Iowa. He loves Monsanto. He wears a monsanto t-shirt around. It say's monsanto on it and has seeds spreading across the shirt. WHo the heck do you guys think grows monsanto seeds?
  • mrphil86
    Options
    And yes I do understand, I'm not gonna explain it to you because obviously I'd have to teach a damn civics lesson to you.
  • ryry_
    Options

Here, I'll help you out.

Says the guy who didn't believe you could sue a supplement company because they weren't regulated by the FDA because they had a one sentence line on the bottle.
  • mrphil86
    Options

Here, I'll help you out.

Says the guy who didn't believe you could sue a supplement company because they weren't regulated by the FDA and had a one sentence line on the bottle.

Uh, think you tagged the wrong guy.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options

I will give you my interpretation. My interpretation of this wording is that the courts can not bar the planting of GMO seeds. This however does not protect against civil lawsuits and it also does not bar the FDA from deciding at some point in time to regulate the usage of GMO.

My tin foil hat firmly in place leads me to guess that the 9th circuit court probably has a GMO case on the docket somewhere and this rider was put into this funding bill to prevent the 9th circuit court from baring the use of GMO seeds.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Here, I'll help you out.

haha ok buddy. i'm tired. sweet dreams. it's been real.

if you ever do decipher what those finicky, rascally words mean when you read 'em all in a row like that, you be sure to let me know ok? and NO internet searching to help you! you said you don't need that, remember? just your own capable brainpower.

shoot me a message as soon as you've figured it out. take all the time you need.
  • ryry_
    Options

Here, I'll help you out.

Says the guy who didn't believe you could sue a supplement company because they weren't regulated by the FDA and had a one sentence line on the bottle.

Uh, think you tagged the wrong guy.

Fixed. My bad
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Says the guy who didn't believe you could sue a supplement company because they weren't regulated by the FDA because they had a one sentence line on the bottle.

ah damn, before i go - i did some research on that:
    It's against the law for companies to claim that any supplement can prevent, treat, or cure any disease except some nutrient-deficiency conditions. But in the past two years, the Federal Trade Commission has filed or settled 30 cases against supplement marketers, charging that they made exactly those kinds of claims.

so as long as the supplement makes no claims, you've got no legal standing (in the case of most herbal supplements)

for other supplements like gainers/weight loss/pre-workout drinks etc, they're playing with fire and they know it, but it's a game they'll play every single time because they make way more money than they have to pay out in settlements. ****ed up, but reality.

so we were both right. you CAN sue supplement manufacturers if they make claims and the product doesn't live up to those claims OR if the product fails to warn of potential risks, but not if there is adequate warning and no claim being made (again, this is common on most herbal supplements)
  • mrphil86
    Options

Here, I'll help you out.

haha ok buddy. i'm tired. sweet dreams. it's been real.

if you ever do decipher what those finicky, rascally words mean when you read 'em all in a row like that, you be sure to let me know ok? and NO internet searching to help you! you said you don't need that, remember? just your own capable brainpower.

shoot me a message as soon as you've figured it out. take all the time you need.

No, I'm good. You are obviously a nutcase who seems to think what he wants then regurgitates partial evidence as facts.

You really need to go back to school, it would seriously do you some good.

Even if you take a Reasoning and Problem Solving class that would be LOVELY.
  • Kateweighs138
    Options
    I'm with all of you feeling frustrated and PLEASE TAKE ACTION! Do not buy *any* Monsanto products. Lots of info online about which companies use them. I would suggest that with corn and soy specifically, you only buy organic products (which does not necessarily imply GMO-free but is a great start)

STEP TWO: grow your own food! Even if you live in a dorm room or a teeny apartment, at least a tomato plant or some herbs. Take control back.

STEP THREE: farmers markets, co-ops, CSA's, Trader Joe's or health food stores,... wherever you shop, VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLAR. Monsanto isn't effected by our posts but they are by our shopping. It may seem like a drop in the bucket, but millions of drops make a heck of a wave.