• em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Proud Catholic
  • LeonorMG
    LeonorMG Posts: 93
    Options
    Fot those who think that I started a controversial topic:
    Religion and politics are heavy subjects and people tend to get a little emotional about them.
    You're going to have discussions and disagreements. Either you dont talk about your beliefs or you deal with the fact that you have brought up a controversial subject and be prepared for some emotions. There's nothing wrong with educated discussion.

I'm not imposing anything..
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Parents - Mormon (Church of the Latter Day Saints)

I consider myself a "neo-pagan", my belief system is odd & complex - cross tetragrammaton, modern satanism (hedonism and not belief in Satan) and belief in equal opposites and a "higher power than us". I do believe in ALL gods as facets of the "higher power" and us Humans use them to explain & put faith into.

Yeah - as I said, weird & complex. But I have friends in all faiths, each is allowed to believe in what they wish to.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I practice the Golden Rule and nothing else matters.
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Proud Catholic
    :drinker: ME TOO!! :happy: Very proud
  • EvetteM41
    EvetteM41 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Christian. :heart: I go to a Methodist church. But don't really consider myself any religion. Just Christian. :)
  • wheels5894
    wheels5894 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So what's religion for?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Religion and politics are heavy subjects and people tend to get a little emotional about them.
    You're going to have discussions and disagreements. Either you dont talk about your beliefs or you deal with the fact that you have brought up a controversial subject and be prepared for some emotions. There's nothing wrong with educated discussion.

This has actually been the most civil thread on religion I've seen here in a long, long time. :flowerforyou:
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Athiest.

"Religion" is the root of all evil.
    Wars are started because everyone can't agree on which ghost story to believe in.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I am a follower of Jesus Christ :). I don't see it as "religion" since religion is basically a habitual practice, or collection of customs, that (to me) seem mindless and pointless. Rather, I have a relationship with the one true, living God. As my pastor says:

-"Religion is sinful man trying to reach a holy God. Relationship is a holy God reaching down to sinful man."

In other words, RELIGION is: trying to make it to heaven through our own efforts...living life and hoping that our good outweighs our bad so that we'll get into heaven...etc (it can go on, and on). However, RELATIONSHIP is admitting that you are a sinner that needs a Savior, excepting the fact that God sent his son Jesus to earth to die for the sins of man by being crucified even though he was blameless, asking Christ to come into your life and fill you with the Holy Spirit, and living a life pleasing to God, our creator.

Its all about GRACE. Coming to terms with the truth: that we don't deserve eternal life in heaven, but God gave us a way (ONE way) to get to heaven because he loves us, and he'll never stop loving us, no matter how bad you think you are. And it's all about MERCY. Realizing that we don't deserve God's blessings because we are sinful, yet God doesn't give us the punishment we deserve (hell) if we sincerely look to Him. Put another way: GRACE is getting something we don't deserve, and MERCY is not getting what we do deserve.

Anyway, that's my view. Jesus loves you!

:flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :heart: :love: :heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:

LOVE this and live by this! And I'd only add that for me..."eternal life" is NOT some place in the "sweet by and by, up yonder somewhere in the distant future but here and now and everyday--but eternal life is knowing God and Jesus Christ and being known of Him now and forevermore. I certainly do believe in "Heaven" though as well:flowerforyou:

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

+1
  • nicolewest91
    Options
    I dont understand religion to be honest, I was brought up Christian and swore by it, as I grew older I realised the whole bible contradicts itself and instead of causing love and peace it just seems to be a topic of discrimination and hate because our book of faith (like many others) can beperetated the wrong way. I respect those with a religion but sadly I lost my faith a long long time ago.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    So what's religion for?

I think it depends on how you define religion.
  • stepnerd
    stepnerd Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm, like, an ordained Dudeist Minister, man.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those bad Christians that only go to church on Easter and Christmas Eve...Actually we stopped regularly going to church when they kicked my Pastor out for support gay marriage, worst thing I've ever had to see was my pastor sitting in her office sobbing because she was reading the hate mail people were sending her. I thought as Christians we are supposed to be loving and non-judgmental? I was born and raised in a very closed minded Methodist church with a lot of people set in their ways. It pretty much turned me off from organized religion. I just try to be a good person, I believe in love and the power of Karma and the whole treat people how you wish to be treated type deal.

I can relate to this - no specific thing in my life like this, but I have seen the hate from fellow so-called "Christ followers" who don't act in any way like Christ did. I am a Christian (non-denominational) but I am done with the craziness. I just do my best to act and speak and love in the way that Christ did. I don't believe He ever judged so harshly in the way that these "religious" people do. My relationship with Him is very personal.
  • LeonorMG
    LeonorMG Posts: 93
    Options

This has actually been the most civil thread on religion I've seen here in a long, long time. :flowerforyou:

Exactly! That's why I don't understand the emails people are sending me!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Exactly! That's why I don't understand the emails people are sending me!

Haha, people are sending you messages?
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm a Christian, I currently attend a Baptist church but have spent time in a variety of different denominations. I have a relationship with Jesus that is important to me and I pray constantly. I've had some rough patches in life and I know it was God who helped smooth things out and he has blessed me immensely. I think going to church is important but its not the main point of having faith. Church leaders and Pastors are sinners just like everyone else. I've seen as much drama at church as in high school which is sad but I don't let it get to me.
  • suburbanette
    Options
    Religion is just a set of man-made rules and rites with some base - sometimes very obscure and minute - in spiritual truths. One should focus more on the true spiritual relationship with one`s God not religion.
  • shocktastic
    shocktastic Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Born & Raised Catholic!! Amen!!
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Isn't religion one of those topics people aren't supposed to talk about? Correct me if I'm wrong. I was raised Catholic, but I'm Buddhist now.:smile:

Have no idea! Have I committed a crime? ;)
    It's only a friendly question! <3

I hope it doesn't get deleted just because you posted this. :flowerforyou: I don't really understand why people can't talk about their faith on here as long as they aren't forcing it upon anyone else.

I'm agnostic, but from a Roman Catholic family.
This discussion has been closed.