How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• Shweet_heart
    Shweet_heart Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm, on W6D1. I ran one equal to the time on the 1st, but didn't have my ipod on me, so it didn't count it, so I'll do it again soon. Possibly tomorrow afternoon. I'd love to run a 5K with my sister in law. Never really had anything too in common with her, but went running with her on the 1st, and it was great fun! I want to do the 5K Color Me Rad run in Vancouver in August. Looks like a lot of fun!

Anyone can add me if you want a friend who logs (been on for 90 days straight today, woo!)
  • LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Lets comment after each run. We can talk about how it went or what ever. Support each other through these next weeks that will be easy at time and really hard at time. But we always know that we are here for each other.

I am up for supporting anyone who needs it... I am a newby i'm at week 1 day 3 (tomorrow)... I am also on a M W F running system.

I'm new to running so I am slow and having trouble with the last run (it seems to be my slowest lap and I start huffin and a puffin).

Is anyone here in the C25K group here on MFP? If so i'll check in on the group more often then once a week...
  • LindaGTaylor
    Options
    I completed W6D3 today plus I was able to do extra running. I did the 5 min warm up walk and ran the 22 minutes and buy the time I got the 1 minute left message I was feeling really good so I ended up running through the 5 minute cool down walk then I walked for 2 minutes and ran for another 3 minutes to my front door. Total distance was 4.10km. Damn did it ever feel good to be able to do that at the end of week 6 =) This is coming from a guy who couldn't run 1 minute less then 2 months ago.

I am at that point. It is hard for me on the last 1 minute. I am hopeful that it'll change soon.
  • LindaGTaylor
    Options
    Im on Week 3 D3, this thread is great, I now realize why i had nagging pain on my arch (feels like plantar fascitis) I think IM overdoing it. I am doing my C25K on T Th S but I also jog/walk on MWF... I will try some non-weight bearing activities... Anyone doing C25K are welcome to add me as friend, just include the msg youre doing C25K.. :-)

BTW anybody feel like they need to run/jog some more after their program? I usually add about 15 mins more of walking/jogging after im done...

Yes I do. I've been walking about 10 minutes after my last run/lap.

Feel free to add me if you wish...
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Week 6 Day 2 finished today. Pretty freaking cold - 39° out with light rain and windy. But I loved it. It will be 80 in a few days here - crazy weather!!
  • ebonyrose316266
    ebonyrose316266 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just finished wk5d2. Thinking about adding p90x or clx.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Hi all...my name is Kim and I am a C25K Week 5 dropout from last year...but, I've re-started today.

Plan is:

Only 3 days a week...I have planter fasciitis in the left foot that is under treatment: 500mg of naproxen twice a day for 2 weeks, ice and stretching many times during the day. I will do ballet yoga in between.

So, I could def tell that I have deconditioned - a lot. Plus, I run with a crazy border collie that chases cars while on the leash. So, add in melting snow, puddles and lots of mud.

I downloaded a podcast from kissmyblackass.com which has the hip-hop music I like with the voice over to run or walk. I'm super excited about the music. Other podcasts I've found are B-o-ring.

I work a 12 hour day on Saturday and a 12 day on Sunday with 8 on Monday - so, I am going to shoot for Monday as W1, D2. I might have to do it on a treadmill if the weather is bad. At least, the treadmill propels you forward or you fall.

Take Care!!
  • Akdn
    Akdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think I over did it this afternoon =( My left calf is extremely tight and it hurts like hell to walk. I've got an icy hot patch on it now so I'm hoping it will get better.
    I keep forgetting to say this but feel free to add me if you want. I'm almost done but I'm really thinking of doing the 10k one next. I'm really loving this running stuff haha.
  • Lady_Kayla
    Options
    I am on w4 d2. I did week 3 five times instead of 3, I moved to w4 and I couldn't do it. I will stick at level 4 until i can do it through. 5 mins of jogging is eluding me. My limit is 3 mins at the moment! BUT i hold on to the thought that, i couldn't run for 30 seconds when i started this on 8th March 13!! When the 5 mins of jogging comes up I just jog as much as i can and on D1 I took 2 walk breaks of 30 seconds. I think I may be on week4 for sometime! I'm not racing anyone so i'm good with it.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Im going to start w4d1 tonight. I'm not wondered anymore. I just keep telling myself that I'm strong and I can do it.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    I think I over did it this afternoon =( My left calf is extremely tight and it hurts like hell to walk. I've got an icy hot patch on it now so I'm hoping it will get better.
    I keep forgetting to say this but feel free to add me if you want. I'm almost done but I'm really thinking of doing the 10k one next. I'm really loving this running stuff haha.

Is might sound funny, but it really works. When I started running a friend of mine told me when my legs start hurting so much. Too take a rolling pin and use it on your legs. It will hurt at first. But in the long run it really helped. Rolling pins are not only for baking... :laugh:
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I guess I freaked myself out too much over those 5 minute sections for week 4. I did W4D1 last night and I could feel myself wanting to stop at the 3 minutes like for week 3, but I kept going and did the whole 5 minutes.

I think I also figured out why my left leg kept hurting. 1) I wear heels everyday to work and that causes my leg muscles to stay contracted for about 9 hours a day 2) My arms keep crossing my centerline while running.

So...I did a few calf raises of the edge of the treadmill and focused on keeping my arms from crossing and the pain went away almost instantly.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm building back up to it - but I have to go very slowly so as not to re injure myself and to protect my hip issue. I'm at 10 minutes walking 1 running.

I know. When I hurt myself, I was at 2 minutes walking 1.5 running... it's like starting all over.

*sigh*

EDIT: I walked a 5k at a good pace (finished in less than an hour) on 3/23. My next 5k is 4/27 and I'll be walking/running that one with my dog. I try to run 3 days a week and walk 3 others. When warms up, I'll probably be intervaling at the gym and walking or tossing ball with the dog after work.
  • nisijam5
    Options

Icy hot does not work as well as alternating a real ice pack and heating pad & an ibuprofen for pain...also, do some stretching exercises thru the day.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I completed C25k last year. I ran my first 5K on 5th November but ran injured after stopping dead whilst running to avoid a cyclist and pulling something in the back of my left leg. I tried running again in January 2013 but couldn't do it so now I'm building up using intervals again and loving it. I'm currently doing 6 minute run/2 minute walk/6 run/2 walk/6 run/2 walk/6 run with 5 minutes warmup/cooldown walk at the beginning end unless it's a Wii Active 30 day challenge day in which case I do 5 minute warm up, 6 minute run/2 minute walk/6 run/2 walk/6 run/2 walk and then go straight into Wii Active. Each week I'm upping the running interval by a minute.

Unfortunately I ran at the weekend up and down some serious hills with my laces too tight and have hurt the top of my foot. Have run since but it was painful afterwards. I normally run M Tu Sat so we'll see what I feel like doing tomorrow. It's a Wii Active day and I managed to do it this morning and walk this afternoon. I love my FitBit and try to hit my step target each day and it all counts.

I had never run before. At school I always avoided cross country running and hated to do any sort of track work. Now I love the running and have signed up to do a 5K - Race for Life - for Cancer Research on 30th June. Before then I hope to get back to doing the 5k parkrun that is every saturday morning.

I found that increasing my stamina and cardio fitness away from the running made the biggest difference to being able to get through the intervals.
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 workout 2...tonight. I was pretty scared, but the first week went by pretty well. But looking at later weeks.....ahhhh!!
    So it is good to see all the posts on here of everyone who has made it that far. Oh and I am doing the treadmil version.
    If anyone would like to add me, I will accept!
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Good job everyone , you all are doing good work.

I just goth done doing week 4 Day 1. I surprised myself and was able to do it. When I started to run for 5 minute time. I was scared and was thinking of stopping. But this song came on and the way I went to the beat and I was like I was gone. I'm a little sore tonight.
  • Akdn
    Akdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone =) It was still a touch tight today so I didn't go for my usual walk between runs today.
    @melissaol I've never heard of that rolling pin one before lol I didn't try it this time but if it acts up tomorrow I will give it a shot.
    @nisijam5 No the icy hot patch didn't do anything. I stretched it out a bit and my wife gave it a little massage while we were watching tv last night =)
    Hope everybody has a good weekend
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Completed Week 3 Day 2 tonight. I am thinking I need to rethink my routine. I completed P90X Legs and Back about an hour before my run. I stretched really good but my calves were killing me the last 3 min run and 3 min walk. Probably need to take tomorrow off and see how I do Sunday, right now I am not sure I am ready for week 4. But after my cool down and a shower my calves don't hurt, just my legs are tired.
  • nisijam5
    Options
    4/3 Day 1, C25K - finished with crazy dog, mud and melting snow.
    4/4, 60 minutes of light elliptical
    4/5, 12 work day so probably nothing
    4/6, 12 work day
    4/7, 8 hr work day & W1D2 of the C25K - I am planning on hubs dropping me off in the morning and I will C25K home
    4/8, Barre Yoga
    4/9, W1D3 of C25K

Now, I have somewhat of a plan. I was sore today after day one and I realized how de-conditioned I've gotten. I've been icing the PF every night for about 30 minutes and the doc recommended NSAID treatment. I seem to be doing well for now.

Akdn, I bet the wife's massage beats out a rolling pin any day of the week.