Is it rude not to cater for allergies/special diets?

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    When I was a vegetarian, I ate meat in foreign countries, because I was eating at people's houses, they cooked for me, and I wasn't going to be rude and not eat what they made. Everything that we eat was alive once, whether it was furry, feathered, or green and leafy.

However, if it were my party, I'd serve meat, and have plenty of meatless side dishes.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude at all it is that couple's day, and up to them what they want, if they can find something that everyone would agree on then OK, but I dont go to my brother in-laws house (Hindi), and expect them to set aside and make special food for me because I'm not used to the spice. I enjoy it, and if I dont like soemthing I dont eat it. so it is not rude at all she's having a wedding not running a business.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is dump a salad in a serving dish, im a happy vegan!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    It's hilarious how everyone would be happy if you just make sure you provide a balanced meal of veggies, protein, and carbs. All you really have to do is tell the catering company that all vegetable options should be nut, meat, wheat, and dairy free and have 2-3 options. That is something that is basically standard at the weddings I have been to (and I photograph the for money, so I've been to more than my fair share).
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I've found most people with serious allergies or diseases pertaining to food are pretty smart about taking care of themselves (I had a friend with celiac who i had NO clue was because she never made a big deal about it, she'd eat what she could and politely refused other things) And yes it always is nice to have a vegetarian option but I really wouldn't worry about anything too specific.

One of my good friends had her wedding on Thanksgiving, so everybody got a plated dinner (all exactly the same) of mashed potatoes, turkey, cranberry sauce, veggies and gravy poured over top of pretty much everything, I hate gravy, with a firey passion, but it was her day, i wasn't paying for the food, and it's one night.
  • strippedandvital
    strippedandvital Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. I have several food allergies & I would NEVER expect a bride to p*ssy-foot around MY needs on HER wedding budget. I know what I can & cannot eat. There is ALWAYS a side dish that is edible. I eat what I can & leave the rest in group settings. My medical needs are my responsibility. It would be different if someone was having me over & specifically asking me what I can't eat, but when someone is looking to feed a group of 50-500 people, it's totally up to the individual to look out for themselves.
  • strippedandvital
    strippedandvital Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    "but it was her day, i wasn't paying for the food, and it's one night."

EXACTLY!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    a person has the right to attend a wedding or not. eat or not. enjoy the company or just don't go.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I love it when someone prepares gluten free food for me, but I don't expect it at a large, already complicated event like a wedding. I bring my own snacks. So no, I don't think it's rude. It would be pointless for me to invite someone over for a small dinner without catering to their dietary needs.

What about wearing perfume? Is it rude to wear perfume, because some people are allergic to it?
    Exacty! Where do we draw the line. It is impossible to please everybody - and if you only try to please some, the others will be offended you didn't please them.
  • CM9178
    Options
    NOPE,,,,,, if its your allergy or special diet, YOU take care of it.
    This

If someone was in a wheel chair and there was a ramp to get to the table would you have the same attitude?

If you invite someone to share a meal/buffet to celebrate your occasion then the least you can do is make them comfortable and welcome?
    Being in a wheelchair is a physical handicap, which means if there isn't a ramp or a way for them to get in there, then they physically can't come. But if you don't have food they like - they don't have to eat it. They'll still be there either way.
  • CM9178
    Options
    I just have a question about everyone saying it is the bride's day, not yours....It isn't really related to the topic of catering exactly, but, if NO ONE showed up that the bride invited, she would be okay with that? I was always shown and told that the wedding is really about the guests, the honeymoon is about the newly married couple.
    that makes no sense - first of all, why would no one show up that was invited? Secondly, why would the wedding be about the guests?? A wedding is when two people get married - and they then invite their family and friends to come celebrate THEIR MARRIAGE. If they want to serve popcorn and fried clams at their wedding - it is their choice. If the guests don't like that, it is not the couple's problem. Sure, we might want to try to accomodate our friends and family by having stuff that they will enjoy eating, but we don't HAVE TO.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think I would try to include a variety of foods, if possible, that there might be something for everyone. I went to a wedding once where the groom was allergic to sugar. The wedding cake was ordered with a sugar free top for the bride and groom, and the rest of the cake was supposed to be normal. Well, the whole cake ended up being sugar free, and it was fun at the reception watching the variety of ways people would taste and then dispose of their cake!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I love it when someone prepares gluten free food for me, but I don't expect it at a large, already complicated event like a wedding. I bring my own snacks. So no, I don't think it's rude. It would be pointless for me to invite someone over for a small dinner without catering to their dietary needs.

What about wearing perfume? Is it rude to wear perfume, because some people are allergic to it?
    Exacty! Where do we draw the line. It is impossible to please everybody - and if you only try to please some, the others will be offended you didn't please them.

Where do we draw the line at all? Why bother to feed them, it's expensive. Why worry about seating for the guests, it won't hurt most of them to stand for a few hours. The ones who cant can stay home. Why send a thank you card, it was your day.
    It's about being a good host. It's not possible to accommodate everything, but arranging an alternative meal for those with medical reasons isn't difficult. I like to include a vegetarian meal because it covers those who are but also it is often an option for those on different types of diets.

The marriage is about the couple. You don't need guests. You are asking people to join you, you are hosting them. The marriage was about the couple, the reception was a thank you to the guests for coming. People once believed that there was an etiqutte behind hosting people. That is pretty much gone by the wayside now.
    No, you don't HAVE to.
    As for a couple of posts above - its not about what guests demand or expect - they shouldn't either. It's about what the host offers. I'm not saying any guest demand this but a good host offers it
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Humans would not be alive today if people in the past did not eat animals. It was an absolute necessity and presently our population is so large if everyone became a vegetarian the result would rampant food shortages and people would start to starve to death.

"Because we've always done it" or "because we built our society on it" or "because it's tradition" are not, alone, good reasons to do absolutely anything. You need something else; circumstances change. Western society was built on pillage, slavery, and rape, and no one suggests continuing those traditions.

You are factually incorrect regarding your statement that mass vegetarianism would cause rampant food shortages and starvation. Firstly, it's unrealistic that the entire world would go vegetarian overnight. Secondly, what exactly do you think farm animals eat? That specific grain may not be of a quality sellable to humans, but the space needed to grow crops to feed humans only is a lot less than to feed creatures consumed by humans.

You are correct in that appeals to tradition are not enough to justify anything especially when talking about your slavery example. The thing is I was not making an appeal to tradition. I was pointing out an actual physical necessity. I was never saying we should keep doing it because we have always done it. I was saying if we didn't do it in the past we would not have even made it to today. Eating meat was and is physically necessary.

I don't know where you are getting your numbers regarding the amount of food consumption we have in the this country but no I am not factually incorrect at all. Let me address your two criticisms in turn.

You said "Firstly it is unrealistic that the entire world would go vegetarian overnight." Ok so basically you are saying that as long as there are some people committing the immoral act of eating meat there will still be enough food to go around. Forgive me but isn't that just reinforcing my point? I never said the entire world I was only talking about our country but even if it were just a huge majority of people that felt eating meat was immoral it would be entirely impractical for that to happen and if it did we would run in to food shortages. Especially in parts of the country where the bulk of their fruits and vegetables are imported from other parts of the country. The demand for fruits and vegetables would cause prices to sky rocket. Basically the only reason that you are able to be a vegetarian is because there are some people who aren't vegetarians.

Your second point "Secondly, what exactly do you think farm animals eat? That specific grain may not be of a quality sellable to humans, but the space needed to grow crops to feed humans only is a lot less than to feed creatures consumed by humans." Well even if we didn't have everyone go vegetarian and we just had a large percentage of people do it. What do you think would happen with all of these livestock animals? Farmers don't raise them out of some sense of benevolence. The farmer needs that animal to go to auction or a butcher at some point. Well with the drastic reduction in the number of people eating these animals their prices would plummet.

Farmers would not continue to raise them as they would not be cost effective. So the most logical thing for these farmers to do would be to eat the livestock themselves. Because the livestock also has to be fed and taken care of right up to the point when they are butchered.

It would be very difficult if not impossible for farmers to be able to expand their fields and get their production shifted over to meet this rising demand for fruits and vegetables. The kicker is all of this could be avoided if only eating animals wasn't immoral. The only other way to look at it is that the world needs some immoral people like me so that it can afford the luxury of having some moral people like you.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of food allergies, and so does my daughter. It pisses me off to no end when her step mom won't cater to her... she just feeds her stuff she's allergic to with a benadryl.

But the problem I've found is that we can't really eat stuff that's been prepared by others because we have no idea what's in it. I eat something, and then surprise! I'm swelling everywhere. If you don't think you should cater, then maybe think of putting something out that shows what foods it might contain, or have a supply of epipens available.

You won't be able to cater to everyone, and it's a lot of work doing on a daily basis at home for me and my kid. I can't imagine trying to please hundreds of people with multiple requests.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    How many people are attending? It may be impossible to cater to every last person. People with allergies should be offered safe food choices, people on a diet can suck it up and go for sensible portions.
  • jlbeals
    jlbeals Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    One of my main jobs is organizing events so this is a question I deal with quite regularly - we always ask for our registrants to let us know in advance if they have dietary needs (including allergies, vegetarians, vegans, etc.)

Inevitably, three or four people show up to these events who did NOT let us know about these dietary restrictions in advance. My policy is to bend over backward for someone who lets us know when they register, but if they wait until they show up to suddenly decide they can't eat gluten or are vegetarian, then they will have to eat one of our salad options with my apologies.

That being said, you could argue that our registrants are paying to attend our workshops, and wedding guests are obviously there at your invitation so you may be less obligated to cater to special requests. It's a tricky subject.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting and relevant question. Whenever I entertain (houseparty, organized restaurant function, baby shower, etc) I tend to have some sort of simple, vegetarian choice somewhere, and am sparing with things with nuts. Those are relatively common situations these days. However, if you are on a super restrictive diet (which let's be honest, many times is elective), I am not going to have a veganlowsaltglutenfreelowfatreddyenumberthreekosher alternative menu. Eat before you attend so you will be comfortable picking through what's there. Come on people!
  • CM9178
    Options

Where do we draw the line at all? Why bother to feed them, it's expensive. Why worry about seating for the guests, it won't hurt most of them to stand for a few hours. The ones who cant can stay home. Why send a thank you card, it was your day.
    It's about being a good host. It's not possible to accommodate everything, but arranging an alternative meal for those with medical reasons isn't difficult. I like to include a vegetarian meal because it covers those who are but also it is often an option for those on different types of diets.

So you offer a vegetarian option, but then there end up being Celiacs at your wedding, that you didn't know about. they see there is a vegetarian option and are offended that you didn't provide gluten free as well. Then, there is someone with a nut allergy who gets offended because you didn't provide a nut free menu. When does it end?
    Yes, it is about being a host, but it is virtually impossible to please every single person - especially when you don't know about their diet choices and restrictions well in advance.
    I don't even think the place I had my reception offers gluten free options. They never told me it was available, only vegetarian by request. But I wasn't going to find somewhere else to have my reception on the off chance that one of our guests had celiac.

As I've said previously, if you know your sister has Celiac, then obviously - TRY to provide a gluten free option for her. BUT she shouldn't expect you to or get offended if you can't (or the place doesn't offer it). When I am a guest at someone's event/party/house/bbq whatever it is - I don't expect them to cater to anything that I want or need. Whether it is food, or otherwise. I go because I am invited and want to be there. And anything else is icing on the cake.
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that difficult or more expensive to cater for allergies, etc.

Why can't a wedding have rice, salad, steamed vegetables, cheese platters, etc. for vegetarians and/or celiac guests? I particularly favour buffets for this...you can pick what you like or can eat. For celiac, you would have to avoid wheat contamination, so besides making dinner rolls available, you could avoid breaded foods and have clean roasted or grilled foods which are just as delicious, and anyone can eat them.