Why do people say men and women can't be platonic friends?

Options

Replies

• OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am, however, very happy that at least 50% of the people here agree with the truth instead of what makes them feel good. I understand that it is an unpleasant thought to know that your male friends probably aren't your real friends. I ask you this. Why would you want a male friend who's behavior is OBVIOUSLY modified, because he is hiding his true intentions? That mans intentions will never be pure. That's why people call their friends their worst enemies, because they won't awaken to the reality.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Why are women trying to oppose male sexual instinct? It is natures way..Do you all you women out there think you are not going to `fall for a guy` and back to the OP thing if it is a platonic friend that declares his undying love fr you....you are not going to feel flattered?

Of course you will! Women love flattery and declarations of love and flowers and gifts and men play along and then eventually you realise that there is more and you want to work on the whole thing?

You do realize you just reduced women to *kitten* of affection, right?

Nice job there, sexy. Bet all the ladies love flockin' to you.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am, however, very happy that at least 50% of the people here agree with the truth instead of what makes them feel good. I understand that it is an unpleasant thought to know that your male friends probably aren't your real friends. I ask you this. Why would you want a male friend who's behavior is OBVIOUSLY modified, because he is hiding his true intentions? That mans intentions will never be pure. That's why people call their friends their worst enemies, because they won't awaken to basic truths.

But your intentions ARE to have sex. To the point where you abhor women who show any kind of skin at all.

So why would anyone call you a friend?

Really. It's baffling.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen such an abuse of arbitrarily fictional statistics used in a thread quite like it has been here.

:drinker:

:smokin:

PS: 43.97% of you agree with this post.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is an explanation of cosmic truths that cannot be refuted.

Please cite your sources.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I could, however, steal the most attractive man's woman, by taking control of her emotions.

You're delusional.

I don't know why people do this. They focus on one sentence in a body of words, that is NOT the main point. This isn't an ego trip. This is an explanation of cosmic truths that cannot be refuted.

Again, here is the original post with that one sentence REMOVED. Please focus on the point.
    Then you believe that the body is more powerful than the soul.The word platonic is not platonic. The word love isn't love. Do you know how many people use that word and have no clue of its meaning? Websters.com can only get you so far.

OK focusing on what you requested:

DoesnotCompute_zps1c3a84e1.gif
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Generally true with rare exceptions. It not only involves the so-called platonic friends but significant others who become jealous of the relationship and impact it as well.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen such an abuse of arbitrarily fictional statistics used in a thread quite like it has been here.

84% of statistics are made up.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    That mans intentions will never be pure.

speak for yorself, please. Maybe YOUR intentions are impure. You do not speak for all men.

That's why people call their friends their worst enemies, because they won't awaken to the reality.

I call my friends, friends.

I call my enemies, enemies.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I could, however, steal the most attractive man's woman, by taking control of her emotions.

You're delusional.

I don't know why people do this. They focus on one sentence in a body of words, that is NOT the main point. This isn't an ego trip. This is an explanation of cosmic truths that cannot be refuted.

Again, here is the original post with that one sentence REMOVED. Please focus on the point.
    Then you believe that the body is more powerful than the soul.The word platonic is not platonic. The word love isn't love. Do you know how many people use that word and have no clue of its meaning? Websters.com can only get you so far.

WOAH. Now that you removed that sentence, I TOTALLY want you. *throws off panties* :noway:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am, however, very happy that at least 50% of the people here agree with the truth instead of what makes them feel good. I understand that it is an unpleasant thought to know that your male friends probably aren't your real friends. I ask you this. Why would you want a male friend who's behavior is OBVIOUSLY modified, because he is hiding his true intentions? That mans intentions will never be pure. That's why people call their friends their worst enemies, because they won't awaken to the reality.

Please explain your math.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Again....this is a rabbit trail. The OP wasn't about what people believe. It wasn't about superstition. It wasn't about whether or not they "think" about sex. It wasn't about whether or not they believe that thinking about sex is sinful.
    You're the one who brought up superstition. It was you I quoted. And I believe the other poster has a point. He doesn't want his wife around a guy who wants to sleep with her even if they don't. It's the thoughts the man has that bother him. Valid point.

No...I didn't bring superstition into the fray. You missed a few posts. But that's ok....even this reply means I'm following people down that rabbit hole.

Back to the topic....

The OP was a simple question. "Can men and women be friends without having sex?" ie: Can they be platonic? It would be nice to stay on the topic.:smile:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Women are the ones who believe men and women can be just friends. They dont realize men cant do this. Its hard coded into men's brains to lust for women and mate. If a man tells you that he's fine with just being friends, its one of several reasons :

1) (95% of the time) he's a liar, like most of us guys do well. He's waiting for the right moment.
    2) he's a beta and hasn't the nerve or know how to chase you
    3) he's grossed out by the thought of you sexually.
    4) he knows better (I.e. job/boss complications, best friends sister, etc)

/Thread.

Seriously ladies. Go to each page and try Ctrl+F to search for something like "they can be friends" and look at the gender of the poster.

Yes, It is possible to be acquaintances or "buddys" without having sex. But don't kid yourselves thinking that if you two were on a 2 week trip to Las Vegas and alcohol or some other 'factor' became involved, that in an overwhelming majority of cases feelings would either develop, or the male would most likely make a move on you, thus changing the "friendship"

I guess technically the answer to the OP is Yes, they can be friends, as long as one of those 4 things I quoted are a factor, but after it's not..no matter how much you want to think otherwise, they can't stay just friends forever. It's always amused me how differently women and men think about this subject.

platonic =/= not attracted to.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I haven't met a guy who could be just friends. They either want, or try, to get in your pants.
    I have my man and he is MORE than enough!
    I will stick to chick friends!
    While they're trying to get into your man's pants...
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

84% of statistics are made up.

74.3% of people who say "84% of statistics are made up" are making that up.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

You're delusional.

WOAH. Now that you removed that sentence, I TOTALLY want you. *throws off panties* :noway:

*caught the panties in my teeth*

SWEET!

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Women are the ones who believe men and women can be just friends. They dont realize men cant do this. Its hard coded into men's brains to lust for women and mate. If a man tells you that he's fine with just being friends, its one of several reasons :

1) (95% of the time) he's a liar, like most of us guys do well. He's waiting for the right moment.
    2) he's a beta and hasn't the nerve or know how to chase you
    3) he's grossed out by the thought of you sexually.
    4) he knows better (I.e. job/boss complications, best friends sister, etc)

/Thread.

Seriously ladies. Go to each page and try Ctrl+F to search for something like "they can be friends" and look at the gender of the poster.

Yes, It is possible to be acquaintances or "buddys" without having sex. But don't kid yourselves thinking that if you two were on a 2 week trip to Las Vegas and alcohol or some other 'factor' became involved, that in an overwhelming majority of cases feelings would either develop, or the male would most likely make a move on you, thus changing the "friendship"

I guess technically the answer to the OP is Yes, they can be friends, as long as one of those 4 things I quoted are a factor, but after it's not..no matter how much you want to think otherwise, they can't stay just friends forever. It's always amused me how differently women and men think about this subject.

platonic =/= not attracted to.

QFT

I have lots of male friends that have never tried to sleep with me, therefore we are platonic friends. :flowerforyou:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Every really good friend I've had has either... A... Declared they love me (in a none friendly way) or B.. Declared they are gay (3x)... Obviously I have no problem with the gay ones, but the ones who loved me could never just be friends. It really hurt me and them so I kinda gave up on male friends. Looking back there is one I should have dated. Just didn't see it at the time! So in my experience that study is correct!

Zara
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options

You're delusional.

OK focusing on what you requested:

DoesnotCompute_zps1c3a84e1.gif

You sir, just made me laugh really loud. Thanks for making the CFO glance at me sideways.:laugh:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

So my question is, do you have any female friends? I'm guessing no, right? You don't have ANY AT ALL. Because you couldn't possibly offer them a genuine friendship by your own standards, correct?