Cheat days - Worst idea ever

Replies

• Cheat days have been a big part of my weight loss plan. 191lbs loss total.

^^^This guy had success with cheat days. Just saying....like he lost 191 lbs. I think MOST people would call that a success.

Do what works for you....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    TOPIC: Cheat days - Worst idea ever

Now you tell me! *just ate two donuts*

cheat days are unfortunately something I decide AFTER i have blown my diet. Fortunately they don't happen too often. Sometimes they can even be stopped at cheat meal. So really it's just a term I use to talk myself down from the roof when I cave into some craving that I was not planning to eat. Usually however I recover with either adjusting the rest of the day's food, or with workouts. For severe cases a couple days working off the overage sets me straight for weekly goals.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    I have never been psychologically able to give myself a cheat day and I really want to. Tomorrow is my one year anniversary and we are going out of town and I really don’t want to worry about logging everything! Even when I have exercise calories to spare, I don’t really trust those being accurate. I commend those who can have a cheat day, I bet they are much more relaxed and sane than me. :(
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    "Cheat" days work for me. There are certain foods I avoid altogether though, even on those days, as they trigger horrible binges.
  • For me, cheat days are not going to work. I started my diet (for the second time) just a week before Easter. I decided that on Easter day I would enjoy myself and eat whatever I wanted. Well, I did and I enjoyed it until.....Monday morning weigh in. I gained almost all the weight I had lost back in one day. It was so not worth it. I am not at a maintenance point, I need to lose a lot of weight so having a cheat day just blows my plans of reaching my goals. I have decided that for me, the best route is when I truly want something that is not on my diet then I have to figure it into my calorie count and do without something else. With this attitude, I find myself not wanting that stuff as much because I feel it is not worth the calories.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member

Motivation? No.
    Support? No.

Punishing me for having 2 slices of pizza and some french fries on Saturday while I stuck to my calorie deficit via food and exercise all week? Yes.

You might wanna actually try reading my post before you get all butt hurt.

I like your posting and I actually didn't see judgement must trying to "get it". I don't have much to lose but still doing the best I can like everyone else. I don't have "cheat days" but not worrying about it meals.. usually on Saturday night when we go out and I just don't want to stress about the calories or having a glass of wine. For some people it is dangerous for others its a way to get through the day
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    So this is an OP wanting to argue against cheat days and thanking people who agree and not earnestly asking for why cheat days are a good idea.

Got it.

I should really learn to spot these threads a little better.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    So this is an OP wanting to argue against cheat days and thanking people who agree and not earnestly asking for why cheat days are a good idea.

Got it.

I should really learn to spot these threads a little better.

Nope... I'm asking why cheat days are a good idea. I'm NOT talking about going over calories some days (like special occasions)... I'm talking about dedicated "I can eat anything I want" days.

Do you have an opinion or just a cool avatar?
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Considering this is my 4th post in this thread, I'd say my actual opinion is in one of the other 3.

Thanks for the avatar compliment, though.
  • shanswan
    shanswan Posts: 32 Member
    I am going to disagree with you. Easter was a cheat day for me. I gained two pounds but not for one single second do I regret it. I had a lot of bbq (my fav) and nachos which I gave up for lent. Now your screaming...you eat chips! yes sometimes I do because this is my life and my way of eating not a diet. Sorry but I am not going through life without eating the things I love ever. I am still losing weight a week out of my life with the scales staying the same or yo yoing doesn't mean I am not still trying to lose weight. I think you have to live each day the best you can and if you want to have a meal that doesn't fit tradition diet or even a day then go for it.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    I burn anywhere between 500 and 900 calories when i go to the gym everyday. I eat back only 200 at the most. So to me there are no cheat days becuase i never go over my limit due to all the excersise. If I want pizza and beer I have it and I am still under. That is one of the best reasos to excersise while dieting. ;)
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    I don't know, maybe I have evolved but I have gone from loving and living for my cheat days to not looking forward to them one bit.

At the beginning they were a godsend but now I don't make a big deal out of them. I eat so clean now that most of the time when I do cheat, I end up feeling like crap and I hate that feeling.

For some reason the food is less enjoyable as well. Many foods just doesn't taste the same as I remembered them.

I usually will have one cheat meal every 30 days unless I hit a plateau and have been stuck there for a long period of time, then I will go to McDonalds, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, etc. and just junk it out for a day or two to clean me out and start over.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    I understand where your coming from. But personally, I feel that my current success in losing weight and being healthy does have a little to do with "cheat meals". I don't depend on them, but every now and then, I will have a crazy urge to eat a certain type of food. Even foods I have never liked before. At first, I waited three months before I had a cheat meal. I was Once I ate my junkfood, not only was I satisfied, but it made me want to go harder. It really pushed me to work harder and really make sure I ate healthy for the next while after. Cheat meals definitely aren't for everyone though.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    I don't like the idea of feeling like you are "cheating." It isn't "cheating" to have a high calorie day. I never have a "cheat day," but I will have the occasional "eat at or just barely under maintenance" day. That's not cheating, it's being flexible and living life.

This!!!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    It's all psychological. It's almost like a reward system to encourage you to keep you on track for the rest of the week/month/etc.
  • taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    It seems like a lot of people have a really distorted idea of a cheat day, I have a cheat MEAL here and there, but still work hard to stay within my daily calories etc. I think cheat meals are great ideas simply because most people on this journey can't handle completely cutting out the crappy foods, I know I couldn't. But i've seen a lot of people overdo it, ie, eat really healthy all week, and then just go nuts on one day (I'm talking three takeaways, and a lot of soda) and then sit there and complain they didn't lose any weight, I've stuck with my one cheat meal a week, (I've broken it a few times, but still stayed well within my calories every time) and I'm still steadily losing weight, so why shouldn't I have a "treat" once in a while.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    A cheat day is a bad idea. A binge is an evil idea. f you give me 100% free reign to eat whatever I want and tell me to ignore my nutritional goals, I guarantee an entire box of chocolate chip cookies will be gone. GONE. When I'm on a diet, I can pack away 3,000 calories easily without feeling full. So I have to be careful to track my intake each day.

Recently I just eat to calorie goal and splurge a bit on a couple of meals per week, if I really need the food - not a whim, but my body responding to a deficit by craving something more substantial. Like an extra bowl of cereal, or a grilled chicken sandwich (tonight). At some point your body just wants calories, and every now and then I like to indulge it. Staying in a long term deficit all the time is unpleasant. I eat healthy foods regardless, and I do not ever plan a binge.

Today I timed my "cheat" (an extra 300 extra calories of delicious lean protein and whole grain) on I day that I'm exhausted from a weight training session, so I don't think it's going to derail my plans. Plus I can always cut back on calories a little tomorrow to continue with the weight loss. Even if it means losing a bit less weight per week, I'm ok with it.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    I'm of the opinion that they only sabotage your efforts. I eat what I want within my calorie range, regardless of whether its healthy.

When I did WW a few years ago, I would always use my weigh in day as a cheat day and would easily eat 3000+ calories that day. Then, you have to work double time to burn the extra calories!
  • agulamali
    agulamali Posts: 44 Member
    Cheat days can help keep a diet sustainable, but the diet won't work if a cheat day is undoing the calorie deficit from the other six days (which can easily happen). If you are in a calorie surplus, you will not lose weight.

I think the key is to cheat mindfully now and again while at the same time being accountable for your overall calorie intake and making sure you are still hitting that deficit inclusive of any cheating.
  • I do happen to agree with you completely towards cheat days. I eat healthy and the majority of my meals are clean but everyone now and then when I feel like pizza, or pasta, or some chips and beer with friends I won't limit myself because I'll fall off the wagon if I'm TOO rigid all the time. I'm not sure why people would do full cheat days either.