Why do people say men and women can't be platonic friends?

Options

Replies

• dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    We're two different genders with different motives and a different way of thinking that's why being friends can't work out.
    A woman can't think like a man just like a man can't think like a woman.
    The only way I think men can be friends with women is if they never see that significant other as a lover to begin with.
    If you look at someone not as a lover to begin with then more then likely you'll remain friends but if you never saw that person as a friend before and just wanted to score then no it will never work out being friends.
    I believe if you have the intention of making friends you'll make friends.
    If you have the intention of scoring or dating that person then I don't think a long lasting friendship would work because it's hard to look at someone as a friend when you slept with them.
    From there that person isn't your friend their your f*** buddy.
    Not everyone you meet is worthy of dating or being friend.
    Just saying.
    Keeping it real.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Well if there's one thing this thread has definitively confirmed, it's that there are some messed up dudes out there. Ladies, don't be friends with messed up dudes.
  • kimmynw1
    kimmynw1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We're two different genders with different motives and a different way of thinking that's why being friends can't work out.
    A woman can't think like a man just like a man can't think like a woman.
    The only way I think men can be friends with women is if they never see that significant other as a lover to begin with.
    If you look at someone not as a lover to begin with then more then likely you'll remain friends but if you never saw that person as a friend before and just wanted to score then no it will never work out being friends.
    I believe if you have the intention of making friends you'll make friends.
    If you have the intention of scoring or dating that person then I don't think a long lasting friendship would work because it's hard to look at someone as a friend when you slept with them.
    From there that person isn't your friend their your f*** buddy.
    Not everyone you meet is worthy of dating or being friend.
    Just saying.
    Keeping it real.

I have to disagree with this. If in the beginning there was no attraction and simply friendship I think as time goes on feelings actually develop and the other person becomes more and more attractive eventually ending in desire. That being said men and women can be platonic friends for a very long time but not forever.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well if there's one thing this thread has definitively confirmed, it's that there are some messed up dudes out there. Ladies, don't be friends with messed up dudes.

QFT
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I can be friends with women.

If they're attractive I'll probably want to sleep with them.

If they're not attractive then I probably won't.

I just assumed that's how it works for you ladies as well . . .

That sounds right.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Nearly (just making an option that is not 100%) every guy I am friends with I have either already slept with, is gay, or would have no issue having the sex with me or me with them.
    So I guess my platonic friends are gay or female.
    Which is fine. Cause in all honesty, I do not mind people wanting to have sex, or thinking about it. It is, after all, part of life. Most people like sex anyway... I think?
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on the situation.

Girls and guys can certainly be friends. Is the guy gonna want to bang you 24/7? Most likely. Because even if you don't have an amazing face, you have boobs and an *kitten*. Done.

Are you okay with that? I know I am. I've always been closer with guys. Can't stand the female drama. Has every one of my guy friends wanted to bang me and made it evident? Yes. But as soon as I said not interested, they dropped the subject and we remained friends. Did they stare at my *kitten* every time I walked out of the room, or at my boobs every time I turned my head? Yes. Doesn't matter, though. If that sort of thing bothers you, then no. It can't be done.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Let me state it quite clearly for all the females that think they have guy friends `every hole is a goal` doesn`t matter if you are slim/fat/tall/small/friends etc.

If you are available then you are on the menu!

um...no. Are you 12?

There really are adults who don't think with their genitals all the time. Some are guys. Some are women. Some of us are friends.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I could definitely not be friends with anyone who referred to having sex with a woman as "getting the prize" :huh:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I could definitely not be friends with anyone who referred to having sex with a woman as "getting the prize" :huh:

I'm glad I was not the only one who was like :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • DalekBrittany
    Options

Good, I'm not alone lol
  • TC1728
    TC1728 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Good, I'm not alone lol
    I'm glad that both of you feel this way. You're both young and it's great to hear.
  • OneEyeUp
    OneEyeUp Posts: 373 Member
    Options

No worries there! LOL.:noway:
  • DalekBrittany
    Options

No worries there! LOL.:noway:

To be honest I'm surprised you have ANY female friends given your incredibly narrow minded view of the gender.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I use to think it did happen, I had a great friend... bestest best friend and I thought it was understood nothing would happen. We had been friends since I was 16, recently he came out and basically said "let's cut the bull. I want you, you want me let's make it work"... when I explained even though I am not always happy with the man in my life I love him, and our family, and have no interest in anything other then friends he cut me out of his life. Stopped talking to me, we use to talk all the time, I miss my friend and it just shows my SO was right. He wanted "in my pants" more then my friendship.

I have other "male friends" but after they got gf's I was suddenly the devil. Perhaps friendship is possible but its a lot more work for opposite sex friendships and outside influence and interpretation isn't always pleasant.

Internet is probably the only place where its somewhat easy to have "friendships with the opposite sex".
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    For the ladies here...ANY ONE of your male "friends" would, if you asked them to, sleep with you. Its true. Its just how it is.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Duh, It's bumping uglies.
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of like the episode of Seinfeld where he has spent time with this woman he considered a friend and they never had sex for years due to the "great conversation" once there was an awkward moment of silence that is when the sexual tension set in and they slept together. That sexual attraction is gonna be there whether is it talked about or not its how the two individuals interact the determines if it stays platonic. I have many male friends but I have also had sexual encounters (not sex exactly) with more of them than not.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    For the ladies here...ANY ONE of your male "friends" would, if you asked them to, sleep with you. Its true. Its just how it is.

Not true. I have several people I can think of that either due to personality or lack of physical attractiveness, I wouldn't sleep with. Now, when I was 19... totally different story. Oh I would claim platonic desires, but secretly wanted to bang anything I could. I think it goes away with age or something.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Meh, I do it daily. Lots of hot women I train, but I just want to be friends and that's it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition