The conspiracy to make (and keep us) fat...

Options

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I watched forks over knives with my fiance and it really really changed our perception of everything. I've been 100% vegan and 90% raw for soon to be two years, my hypothyroidism went away proven by blood work, my acne cleared up, my hair grew faster, and I slept much better and wasn't so drained all the time after I changed my diet around. I think meat and dairy is one big conspiracy and I say this because we're not told about the high amounts of proteins we can get from beans which are also very high in fiber, we are not told about the high amounts of proteins we can get from greens such as spinach and broccoli, and yet we are constantly told that we need to eat dairy and meat to survive. I have been a full on vegetarian for almost 3 years and a vegan for soon to be 2 years and in the past and I have not gotten sick once, I'm 18...three years ago in high school I missed 26 days out of a 180 day school year because I was so sick and exhausted all the time. I am living proof of how we are brain washed to think everything backwards and how I changed my life around once I realized this.

there's a reason you see baby cows sucking on cow teets and not humans sucking on them. they're made for a calf, not us.
    i love that documenatary as well, its amazing how eating a raw or plant based whole foods diet can totally change your health and reverse some diseases (which most likely were caused by a ****ty diet to begin with).
    also, not related directly but i have heard that companies can have up to a 20% deficit on how many calories are actually in something, so you may be eating more as well without even realizing it! scary huh?
  • keem88
    Options
    um, hi! I was just talking about this at work; after losing close to 80 lbs, i went to walmart for some new clothes. (something cheap since i am continuing to lose, lol) anyways, noticed that i fit size 8-10, when 5 years ago at this weight i was a 12-14. i think clothing sizes have changed to make people feel better, but i think maybe people don't realize, (or want to realize) they are getting bigger. Society is really against losing weight...i dont usually buy into conspiracy theories, but weight management is a billion dollar business, just saying.

dude i noticed this too. i have some pants from kohls, the SO brand i got in hs maybe about 8 to 10 years ago. they are a 5 and they fit me the same way the SO brand size 1 fits now...
  • keem88
    Options
    I'm so glad that gaining weight was not my fault. It's really convenient that I can blame my upbringing and the Big Food Manufacturers instead of blaming my inactivity.

Thank you for letting us know that we have no accountability with regards to our own health and well-being.

:drinker:
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous. People should be accountable for their own health and quit pointing the finger. Processed food doesn't make you fat. Too much of any food does.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I recently came across two reports that made me realize how much the choices we make affect our success.

The first one I heard on NPR. It was someone talking about how we’re “hard-wired”, …we’re made to want high fat, high calorie foods (and a lot of it). Our ancestors who ate as much of those things as they could, when they could are the ones who survived. The problem is, our ancestors didn’t have the abundance of these things that we do today. My take away? Don’t start eating these things, because it’s too hard to stop (and not just because I my willpower isn’t strong enough).

The other was an article in the NY Times magazine, that discussed how food manufacturers make the food we eat. The one thing that blew my mind? There is an actual term they use, called the “bliss factor” that is the point at which a food triggers a response in your body that makes you want to keep eating. Let me repeat this…they actually create foods with the goal to make it physically more difficult to put it down.

Wow, like it isn’t hard enough for me already! What this made me realize is that I really do need to focus on the items around the perimeter of the store. I have been aware of that for a while, but these two things made the light bulb go off for me…when I eat the things that are processed, I’m making it much harder on myself than it needs to be.

And why on earth would I do that?

Yep--food scientist know that humans prefer sugar, salt and fat in that order. And ice cream, because it contains all three in abundance, is the "perfect storm" of temptation. :devil:

Abundance? Here's what I've been eating daily for awhile now. I think we have different ideas of what abundance is. I'm guessing you'll ignore the fat and sodium, even though that's 2/3rds of your argument against ice cream.

MintCookieNutri_zpsbbd304ad.jpg

The same serving size of Häagen-Dazs Vanilla is 270 calories. Also it comes replete with 17 grams of fat along with 18 grams of sugar and 127 mg. of sodium. And while we are looking at it, really, who eats 1/2 cup of ice cream? Do you?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I recently came across two reports that made me realize how much the choices we make affect our success.

The first one I heard on NPR. It was someone talking about how we’re “hard-wired”, …we’re made to want high fat, high calorie foods (and a lot of it). Our ancestors who ate as much of those things as they could, when they could are the ones who survived. The problem is, our ancestors didn’t have the abundance of these things that we do today. My take away? Don’t start eating these things, because it’s too hard to stop (and not just because I my willpower isn’t strong enough).

The other was an article in the NY Times magazine, that discussed how food manufacturers make the food we eat. The one thing that blew my mind? There is an actual term they use, called the “bliss factor” that is the point at which a food triggers a response in your body that makes you want to keep eating. Let me repeat this…they actually create foods with the goal to make it physically more difficult to put it down.

Wow, like it isn’t hard enough for me already! What this made me realize is that I really do need to focus on the items around the perimeter of the store. I have been aware of that for a while, but these two things made the light bulb go off for me…when I eat the things that are processed, I’m making it much harder on myself than it needs to be.

Yep--food scientist know that humans prefer sugar, salt and fat in that order. And ice cream, because it contains all three in abundance, is the "perfect storm" of temptation. :devil:

Abundance? Here's what I've been eating daily for awhile now. I think we have different ideas of what abundance is. I'm guessing you'll ignore the fat and sodium, even though that's 2/3rds of your argument against ice cream.

The same serving size of Häagen-Dazs Vanilla is 270 calories. With 18 grams of sugar and 127 mg. of sodium. And while we are looking at it, really, who eats 1/2 cup of ice cream? Do you?

Nope, I eat 4. 127 mg of sodium and 18 g of sugar is hardly an abundance by any standard.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The same serving size of Häagen-Dazs Vanilla is 270 calories. Also it comes replete with 17 grams of fat along with 18 grams of sugar and 127 mg. of sodium. And while we are looking at it, really, who eats 1/2 cup of ice cream? Do you?

I do...of Breyer's Coffee ice cream...when I have 130 calories remaining at the end of the day. Otherwise, I eat more (or less)...

...or at least I do when it isn't GS cookie season. Then, I eat an appropriate number of Caramel Delites instead.

ETA: But I'm also not scared of eating fat...or sugar...or sodium...because I don't have any medical condition that would warrant being particularly mindful of that. What I do monitor is that I eat at least a certain minimum amount of protein and fats and that I hit my net calorie total for the day.
  • keem88
    Options
    Well you all keep believing that. I just finished two beers after downing half a bag of chips, 400 calories worth of Heath Bar Ice Cream, and am about to dig into some spicy chicken wings and fettuccine alfredo from the local pizza shop. I'd be happy to compare health stats any time.

alrighty, let's compare stats (i eat fastfood time to time but mostly live off eggs, oatmeal, fruit/veg, and other tasty vegetarian things).
    which stats would you like to compare?
  • vixen0babs
    vixen0babs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's funny because I watched forks over knives with my fiance and it really really changed our perception of everything. I've been 100% vegan and 90% raw for soon to be two years, my hypothyroidism went away proven by blood work, my acne cleared up, my hair grew faster, and I slept much better and wasn't so drained all the time after I changed my diet around. I think meat and dairy is one big conspiracy and I say this because we're not told about the high amounts of proteins we can get from beans which are also very high in fiber, we are not told about the high amounts of proteins we can get from greens such as spinach and broccoli, and yet we are constantly told that we need to eat dairy and meat to survive. I have been a full on vegetarian for almost 3 years and a vegan for soon to be 2 years and in the past and I have not gotten sick once, I'm 18...three years ago in high school I missed 26 days out of a 180 day school year because I was so sick and exhausted all the time. I am living proof of how we are brain washed to think everything backwards and how I changed my life around once I realized this.
    Vegans often attribute cutting meat/dairy to any beneficial changes in their life while ignoring the fact that many also cut refined/processed carbs and sugars.

If you notice, BOTH raw vegan and paleo dieters state incredibly positive changes to adopting the diets they have... and the ONLY thing in common is the elimination of refined/processed carbohydrates and often the introduction of more fresh/whole foods.

This indicates meat/dairy isn't the problem, but the refined/processed carbohydrate and lack of fresh/whole foods in people's diet.

I completely agree with the statement about the refined/processed carbs. I am not a vegan or vegetarian, but I am a firm believer that processed carbs wreak havoc on our bodies. While it is difficult to completely banish them from our busy lives, I believe we should incorporate more whole/raw foods into our diets!
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Vegans often attribute cutting meat/dairy to any beneficial changes in their life while ignoring the fact that many also cut refined/processed carbs and sugars.

If you notice, BOTH raw vegan and paleo dieters state incredibly positive changes to adopting the diets they have... and the ONLY thing in common is the elimination of refined/processed carbohydrates and often the introduction of more fresh/whole foods.

This indicates meat/dairy isn't the problem, but the refined/processed carbohydrate and lack of fresh/whole foods in people's diet.
    That is not true. I eat more carbohydrates than ever with apples, bananas, mangos, melon and so forth. Carbs actually make our metabolism work faster. Dairy and meat slows down our metabolism, slows and thickens our blood flow, and makes us more fatigued.

People are referring to starchy foods not healthy carbohydrates.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

I do...of Breyer's Coffee ice cream...when I have 130 calories remaining at the end of the day. Otherwise, I eat more (or less)...

...or at least I do when it isn't GS cookie season. Then, I eat an appropriate number of Caramel Delites instead.

ETA: But I'm also not scared of eating fat...or sugar...or sodium...because I don't have any medical condition that would warrant being particularly mindful of that. What I do monitor is that I eat at least a certain minimum amount of protein and fats and that I hit my net calorie total for the day.
    ... same here, I eat 1/2 cup servings, usually this:

b141-ent-fnt.gif
    ... it's most-often covered in a couple tablespoons of the highest-fat-content whipping cream I can find.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

The same serving size of Häagen-Dazs Vanilla is 270 calories. With 18 grams of sugar and 127 mg. of sodium. And while we are looking at it, really, who eats 1/2 cup of ice cream? Do you?

Nope, I eat 4. 127 mg of sodium and 18 g of sugar is hardly an abundance by any standard.

Yeah--whatever. Why is it that you guys jump in the paddy wagon and race to the rescue of your sacred cows every time they are mentioned (sorry for the mixed metaphor). Really, what's it to you that we like to talk about eating better and more healthfully? You're welcome to stuff yourself with ice cream until your sacred cows come home (to roost) to use another mixed metaphor. But can you just let us be concerned about the national waistline in peace?
  • luvScott
    luvScott Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Typical MFP douche bags downing a thread by someone just putting something out there.

I wish MFP had a 'like' button.
  • AlexT29
    AlexT29 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    And here I was blaming it on the crab people...
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Typical MFP douche bags downing a thread by someone just putting something out there.

I wish MFP had a 'like' button.

Me too.
  • Meamo
    Meamo Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i swear i am bliss factor sensative.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Yeah--whatever. Why is it that you guys jump in the paddy wagon and race to the rescue of your sacred cows every time they are mentioned (sorry for the mixed metaphor). Really, what's it to you that we like to talk about eating better and more healthfully? You're welcome to stuff yourself with ice cream until your sacred cows come home (to roost) to use another mixed metaphor. But can you just let us be concerned about the national waistline in peace?

This issue isn't that you talk about eating better and more healthfully. The issue is that you start compiling food into good and bad columns with tally marks that are given based off of your own food phobias rather than a view of moderation.

Most people here would benefit from learning moderation first.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...ETA: But I'm also not scared of eating fat...or sugar...or sodium...because I don't have any medical condition that would warrant being particularly mindful of that.."

*Cue the Star Wars music* Yoda: "You will be...you WILL be." The damage that is done is done over time. But we are already seeing 9 year-old kids with Type II diabetes. This is unprecedented. You gonna put those kids on a diet?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Sounds pretty good to me. I try to make sure I leave room for ice cream almost every day. I ate a half cup of Talenti last night and 3/4 cup of Breyer's on Monday.

Yum.
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that gaining weight was not my fault. It's really convenient that I can blame my upbringing and the Big Food Manufacturers instead of blaming my inactivity.

Thank you for letting us know that we have no accountability with regards to our own health and well-being.

We have the choice to eat them or not to for the most part. Having said that, if you watch this short doco you'll see that a lot of the time it is economic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MJnm5X9NN0