Senior Golden Sneakers - July 2010

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,942 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It's so nice to see new faces, welcome.......this is a great group...we are friendly and supportive....jump right in

:flowerforyou: we are up early because we have to finish packing and be on the road by 7:30 to be in line early for the 9:30 ferry.....it will be a beautiful day for a ferry ride.....we'll be gone for the weekend.....the pets have been boarded.....it is very quiet here this morning.......we'll be staying in a hotel for the weekend and enjoying time with friends and some restaurant meals......we packed our swim suits because the hotel has a pool....there's also a fitness room so we hope to get some exercise

:flowerforyou: we're taking the computer so I'll try to check in

:flowerforyou: the raised bed is almost finished.......it's a big deal with a stone retaining wall so it's taking a long time to finish...my pumpkin seedlings can hardly wait to be transplanted into the the luscious dirt in the new bed :bigsmile:
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Have a wonderful trip barbiecat. I always thought it was neat to park your car on a ferry and go across the river or what ever. I have only been on one twice. Once on the gulf coast and once in Pa.somewhere.
    We took a battery out of one of my blood sugar monitor and it work in my pedometer just fine., So Sammy and I are taking it with usthis morning. Had a nice breakfast of 1/2 c greek yogurt and 10 chopped bing cherries. Good thing I look it up for I have been eatin 20 cherries Way to many for me. But love those things.And how are our new girls this mornin, Mayilyn and Gigi. Good morning to both of you.

Jeffrey ansious to hear about the wedding plans for Amanda and how is Sam doing? and your 3 cats???
    y grandaughter will be getting married in Sept. Her and her future husband has been together for 5 and 1/2 years. So they ought to know what they are doing. But he is a real nice guy. We met him last year as we went thru Mo to see my son.

Barbs you are really getting that walking in.

Alice start home today. Jerry and I make a trip to the grocer store. to pick up some more greek yogurt.

Have a wonderful day all.
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you Marie, my dogs name is Buttons, she is a Papillion (Butterfly dog). Buttons shares the house with Sierra, Henry, Tobi (Mr T), Twink, and Sophie; all cats, and Sam, chocolate Lab. They all live very actively running over, under and around, and are very gentle pets. I passionaltely call them my kids, my only son is out on his own now. My sister Barb, is the care taker of us all, she is wonderful at cooking, cleaning and keeping us on our toes.

:flowerforyou: I enjoyed reading the diary, it is an eye opener. I will certainly keep tabs on what I am doing, as she did I also knocked off the routine for a week, and this terrible slump hit. Maybe a lesson here!

:smile: Hello Gigi, Gayla and talleyho to you Barbie, enjoy!:flowerforyou:

Well it's 3pm, I think I have something to do, that I have been hiding from. Catch you all a little later.:wink:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Marlouise,

Button is as cute as...er...a button!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Yeah, original--NOT!!:laugh:

You sound like you live in the "zoo", like me. I have "the Three Little Pigs"--a Lhasa Apso, named Mai Li; a Shih tzu, named Pepper; and a Yorkshire "Terror," name Bradley. They earned their collective nickname because Bradley is good at finding food that is not intended for doggies, and he shares!!!! He is also part acrobat.:noway: At the ripe old age of 14, he can still jump high enough to knock things off the edge of the kitchen counter, if they are too close to the edge, so he scores bread that way sometimes. All of my piggies LOVE Orowheat Sandwich Thins, and Thomas Whole Wheat Mini-Bagels-especially when they are "stolen.":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't have anyone to take care of me, except the critters. They are my "children" also. Bradley came to me last Fall after his human momma passed away.

Hello Marie--

Since last Saturday, I have walked 21.5 miles, so summer must be here. Another 90+ day today. We made 97(F) yesterday.

Need to get going, so bye for now.

Barb
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I have news from Sandy... She is at the moment dealing with her stepson being in the hospital. He was admitted under duress but is dealing with either kidney failure or Liver failure. She tells me that at the moment everything is rather a mess. So Keep her and her family in your prayers tonight.

Hi to everyone who just joined I am the token kid in the group :) these are a great group of supportive and caring people. You will jsut love them!
    More later all I need to get things set for the run in the morning and check in on Sandy's facebook to see if there is an update
    Beth
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! It is the middle of the day and no rain!! Give a big yahoo for that! Dave and I took Neil in to his program today, did a bit of shopping and then out for lunch. We have to stop the going out for lunch or one of these days I am going to be paying a bigger price than what it says on the menu! :wink:

Beth -- Thanks for the update on Sandy. I hope that it is better today. Good luck on the run! Let us know how it goes.

Barb -- Good work getting all that walking in.

Marie -- I was eating my daily bowl of cherries as I read your post, mmm, so good. They really taste like candies. I bought some very nice sweet grapes as well. Will you be going to your granddaughter's wedding?

Marlouise -- You have quite a family!! They must keep you busy.

Barbie -- I hope you and Jake have a wonderful weekend.

To everyone else, you too have a wonderful weekend. Take care and keep smiling. gayla
    :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,055 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I haven't been on much and Beth was kind enough to let you know why. We have been at the hospital constantly because of my step son who is fighting for his life because of being an alcoholic. I have been updating friends daily and this is tonight's update. He went in Tuesday because his wife my husband and two doctors went and did an intervention and made him go to the ER because he was so sick. He admitted to his wife how scared he was and couldn't breathe. Once in the ER they had to ventilate him and he went down hill from there. His liver is severely damaged but because it is so large they can't even do an ultra sound. His kidneys stopped working and he was put on kidney dialysis. It has been a nightmare and I am trying to give updates. This is my update from tonight.

Basically no new changes. Still on the ventilator, they tried to remove it today but he had too much mucus and they will try again tomorrow. They gave him a bath and he got agitated and took a swing at the nurse, after the bath they sedated him so he could rest. He has a feeding tube and a catheter. He had a three hour kidney dialysis treatment. He had a slight temperature but they gave him an antibiotic in case of an infection. He still isn’t awake but does open his eyes sometimes when someone talks to him. The nurse said he probably recognizes the voice but doesn’t understand what is being said. In essence the doctors are saying we have to wait until next week to see if there is any improvement, it is too soon to talk about any options until they see how his condition is next week. They are going to schedule a meeting with all the doctors and family to try and answer any or all questions the beginning of the week.

We can only go one day at a time and not look into the future. Keep him in your prayers but more for his wife and my husband his father.

Welcome to all new comers and sorry for the gloom and doom but we are like family here and I am just sharing.

Unfortunately, I have made my goal for my weight, but this in not the way I wanted to do it. I must walk miles in that hospital daily so the good news is that I am getting exercise.

Thanks everyone.

Sandy
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Sandy, thanks for the update on your step-son....what a shame that he couldn't get the message about his health and his drinking sooner......I am thinking loving thoughts about you and your husband
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Sandy,

You and your whole family are in my prayers. We can only hope this is the wake up call that will help your stepson choose a healthier path. Can't even imagine how tough it is on your husband and daughter in law. So sorry.

Barb
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Sandy thanks so much for the update on you step son. I know you have been eorried about him a long time. We are all praying for a miracle for him.Take care Marie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Thanks everyone, keep praying.
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Sandy -- So sad for the heartbreak and worry in your family. I hope your stepson will be able to return to good health. You will all be in my prayers. Please look after yourself.
    Gayla :heart:
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Sandy,
    Hang in there and we will keep praying
    Beth
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    hope things are looking a little better For Sandy family. I had an uncle that abuse the drinking. rought on the family.God bless them all.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Hi everybody,
    We're home from our trip. It was fun especially seeing a bunch of friends that we haven't seen in months. We brought our Isagenix shake stuff so we could fix some of our meals but with friends to see we ended up with more restaurant eating than we wanted.

On Friday we ended up at Olive Garden for lunch and had soup, salad, and breadsticks ( a sodium disaster).......for dinner I had a Greek salad and pita and enjoyed every bit of my day filled with food that I wouldn't normally eat (I usually stay away from bread and dairy)...........I got a fair amount of exercise....yoga and exercise bike and "Butt 'N' Gut" at home, walking while waiting for the ferry, walking on the ferry, and then our hotel room is two doors down from the fitness center where I used the exercise bike and the treadmill

:flowerforyou: On Saturday we did our regular morning yoga before going to the meeting and I walked whenever I got a chance including walking the stairs and finding time for the treadmill and exercise bike in the fitness room........we skipped the catered lunch (pulled pork or eggplant parmesan) and went to the room and made shakes......in the evening we declined an invitation to Red Robin and ate in the room again followed by a 40 minute walk and some time on the treadmill.

:flowerforyou: The return trip on the ferry was in the fog and the ferry blew its horn a lot. It was nice to return to more moderate temperatures. Today we had lunch in a nice restaurant in Port Townsend where everything was either cooked in wine, breaded or full of cheese so I opted for a half serving of halibut and chips with Asian cole slaw and will walk and bike it off this afternoon.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I'm thinking about you......sorry that losing the last pounds happened in such a stressful way.......I continue to think good thoughts for a happy ending to the story.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Sandi, my thoughts are with you, I've been down that road many times in my life, stay strong and focused. What will be = will be. Keep your self healthy and take time to get out and away from the stesses.
    I've always got a partner and walked and talked the stress away. Best wishes to you and prayers will be answered.

Marilyn
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    hi there Button you are such s cute little dog. Ssmmy has been his usal self. Just wants to go walking and eat Whipping cream that .you squirt from a can. every time I get it out so put some on my jello he is right there to get his share.. He don't like cool whip and certain brand of the quirt can he wont eat.
    We are waiting on the tree service guy to come out and trim our tree. It is entangle with too many wires for my husband and son- in
    loaw to do.

Sandy hoping to hear some good news from you this morning. My prayers are with you and your family.

It is gonna be a hot one this morning..
  • Sandydur
    Options
    It was a good day yesterday, Phil was more awake although he still has the ventilator. He did try and communicate with us and we had some laughs along the way. Things are improving but he still has a long road ahead of him and we are still not sure how much liver damage he has. He is still getting kidney dialysis once a day for three hours and probably will continue to do so until his liver starts working again, if it ever does.

The doctors keep saying we have to give him time, so we are taking it one day at a time.

Keep Praying.

Sandy
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Sandy for the update. I am still prayng for Phil.God bless you all.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome, Marilyn and Buttons,
    I've just come back from taking my dogs to the off leash dog park......we go almost every day so they can run and get lots of exercise....I put their picture on my profile so you can see them......they are Standard Poodles....Sasha is the red one and Brandy is the black one...Sasha weighs 38 pounds and Brandy weights 49 pounds......we have had them since they were puppies and they are like our children....our other children are Bernie and Haifa, the cats.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Sandy, I'm glad there is news of improvement in Phil's condition....I hope this will be the bottom for him and that he will seek a solution when he out of the hospital

:flowerforyou: Marie, have you checked Sammy's cholesterol after eating all that whipping cream?:laugh:

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: we are all glad to be home after our weekend adventure......when I brought the cats home, Bernie meowed for a long time.....I think he was concerned about his dad (he was playing golf) and the dogs (they couldn't be picked up until later)

:flowerforyou: we have our cool weather back
    very windy and I wore a long sleeved shirt and a down vest when I went to the dog park.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: