How many dates should a guy pay for?

Options

Replies

• SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    For the most part whoever asks pays. However on the first date with my boy I bought our museum tickets and he bought dinner and drinks after. He paid for the next several dates. Now when we go on dates and have lunch he pays but I buy frozenyo for us after. I am a little more attentive to finding fun date ideas so I'll often buy something on living social or groupon and then he'll pay for lunch/dinner.
  • Teysa
    Teysa Posts: 26
    Options
    If it is a first date I pay for my stuff. If all goes well and we go on a second date I pay and then say "you'll pay on next one."

It changes a bit if we are officially BF and GF though, I will pay for the movie and dinner afterwards but you'll pay next time we go out. But now that I think about it I usually spent more on dates than my partner... I guess I'm too good and play the "guy" part
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Who cares? It's going to be different depending on the date and the situation. If anyone feels obligated to pay, that's just...weird, IMHO.

My husband paid for our first date, which was really sweet and thoughtful...but nobody should go into a date without money (barring real money issues, but that's beside the point) because it's pretty damn pretentious to think that the other person should have to pay for you.

Hell, even being married, it just depends on who has the most money in the wallet at the particular time as to who pays. I wouldn't allow him to go broke on me before we got married, but it was a nice gesture when he could and did pay.

But every situation and every person is going to be different. Communication is this really awesome thing that human beings do. You should not be afraid to ask your date what they prefer instead of a forum full of people you will never be in the same room with.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i would pay for all gentalman thing to do
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Whether you alternate who is paying or split the bill, I feel it should be equal. As a woman, it's not because I'd feel "like I owed" him something if a guy always paid. It's just that if I want to be treated like an equal in a relationship & in society I should probably act like it and put my money where my mouth is. No double standards here... forget the gentlemanly thing to do, saying a guy should always pay conveys inequality to me.

Not that I never let a guy pay for a date if he asked me ;)
    But I didn't let one pay for every single one.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I thought it was equal rights? If so shouldnt the women pay now?
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I've never thought about it but for sure the first one, regardless of who asked who.
  • JayGetsFit
    JayGetsFit Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've always thought it was polite for the man to pick up the tab on the first date.But that's just me. After that I think its reasonable to split bills etc. until things become serious.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I was joking in my previous post. Really I havent dated so....I would think it would need to be discussed prior to the date.
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    First one, I prefer a guy to pay for. After that, they should always offer, but I like 50/50, just so there's no expectations...
  • frankiedb
    frankiedb Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I always pay.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to manners and offering to pay on both sides regardless of being a man or women.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm an old married fart ... (since 1989) ... and I paid for all the dates from #1 on, and still pay. (We still have 'date-night' once a week.)

... and I feel blessed to be able to do so.

But that's the view of an old married fart, as I said. That being said, if my sons didn't always offer to pay, and I found out about it, I'd smack 'em upside the head. XD
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    First date it's nice if the guy pays, but I will always offer to go half and hope he will say no. Not because I can't afford or anything like that but for some reason it just feels right.

After that 50/50 or whatever. I personally insist to pay for either part or take turns. Its not about keeping count or anything like that, but I don't think guys should/have to to pay all the time. Lets face it, dating can be expensive.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I always expect the guy to pay if he does the asking. If I offer to pay, or make the date then I would expect to pay. I think it also depends on who can afford to pay. If your date is not as financially well off as you, then it would seem appropriate that you split the tab, or let the person more financially stable do the paying.

Curious - OP do you not like paying on a date?

I do. I insist even if they offer.
    I get a mans feelings that they should pick up a tab, and that was the expectation 30 years ago, but would be honestly offended if I wanted to pay and expected to pay and was told no. The point being that I'm fully financially able to pay and would expect to do no less. Any other women feel this way?
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    all of them. *waits to be hit with tons of feminist bullsh!t*
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    SMarie10 - I'm the same. Went on a first date the other night and I offered to pay. He replied 'no that's my job' so I slipped off to the bathroom and paid on the way. When he went to pay and was told it was already sorted by the waiter I think he was quite chuffed - I don't think his ex ever paid so it felt nice to do that for him. I think he's always been in the role of provider and had that expectation on him which I don't think is fair.
    I let him pay on the second date though ;-)
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    All of them.

If you can't afford dinner for someone special, you should be spending your time elsewhere.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Who cares? I can afford my own food, I can pay for yours or let you pay. Keeping score on monetary things seems silly. To me, it's so much more about enjoying each others company than it is about who foots the bill.
  • d2391
    d2391 Posts: 110
    Options
    If you have any self respect, zero