Milk

Options

Replies

• christied829
    Options
    I buy 1% for my little boy and drink that very occasionally. I recently just got unsweetened vanilla almond milk and use that now in my oatmeal and cereal.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    2%. I've heard skim milk is more fattening than other milks. Even though, the fat is removed from skim, it leaves mostly sugars so it's more fattening.

No it is not. Total calories are less.
  • springs47
    springs47 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I switched from 2% to skim.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I PREFER fat free. But I heard recently that everything under whole milk will have aspertame added to it. ?? I'm looking more into it and if that's the case we will be getting our milk from a dairy, going whole only or almond milk...

They are NOT adding aspartame to plain milk.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I just try not to drink milk.
    Me too. Its not good for our bodies. I still can't understand why we drink another animals milk. Cows don't drink cows milk once they are weaned. The whole thing boggles my mind. Good marketing dairy industry. But I ain't buying the narrative milk does a body good. I'd rather get my calcium etc from other sources.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Me too. Its not good for our bodies. I still can't understand why we drink another animals milk. Cows don't drink cows milk once they are weaned. The whole thing boggles my mind. Good marketing dairy industry. But I ain't buying the narrative milk does a body good. I'd rather get my calcium etc from other sources.

I can understand why...it's tasty and a really good source of protein. It's very good for my body.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Half and Half
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I prefer 1%, but I've been drinking skim lately b/c it's lower cal.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I drink badger milk.....100%
    rob_schneider.jpg
    brings out the animal in me \m/
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

What boggles my mind is that human beings have been on the planet drinking milk for roughly 7,500 years yet every single time a milk thread pops up somebody says "I can't believe we humans drink milk." It's been 7,500 years. How are you still surprised by this?

Also if the cows let her, my dog would totally be sucking a little tit right now to get some milk.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Grew up on 1%, switched to skim because of flavor preference, switched back to 1% for the fat. Anything higher than that has too thick of a mouth feel for me.

I have 1 cup of milk each morning with my protein shake.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

girl i feel you and i don't disagree, but do we really need another thread that goes 500 pages rehashing the same thing we go through every week?

a lot of people don't buy into the marketing machine behind milk, and a lot of people love it. neither are actually wrong... since Europeans and Americans have evolved to be able to drink other species' milk, while the rest of the world can't digest it properly.

so we're ALL right.
  • jkuhnen
    jkuhnen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I"m pretty much off the stuff. Agree chocolate dominates. Once you get used to skim though even 2% feels like I can chew it!

At the end of the day though I try not to drink calories. A friend and I were comparing our mfp diaries and on basically similar diets the only difference is the coffees, milk, energy drinks, etc. His weight is flat, mine is down almost 80 pounds,

No liquid calories for me thanks.
  • JeeperChick
    JeeperChick Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Neither. Soy milk or unsweetened coconut almond milk :smile:
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    whole fresh milk from my local dairy farm preferably raw this is what I drink if my tastes dictate- and this can vary from 3.25%-4.5% depending on the cow, what part of the milk stage etc- also not Homogenized- super yummy- and I am saying this as someone that normally does not like milk!- but honestly fresh milk is wonderful- also the dairy I go to (which is within bike riding distance from my house) has super strict inspections since they sell raw milk including daily testings of their milk quality- the cows have full access to the fields as well as heated barns and can pretty much go in an out as they like- I honestly think this helps the milk quality (though I could probably not tell in a blind taste tests with accuracy as I try to keep my whole milk uptake down)

This being said normally I drink 2%- from the same dairy, sometimes pasteurized sometimes not- this dairy does not offer skim milk- just whole or half, as well as buttermilk, cheese, yogurt etc

also - the whole milk is half the price of the milk at the grocery store

thus my advice, seek out a dairy farm near you!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yep. This is why I only drink grass fed, free range almond milk. Besides, almonds drink their mothers milk for life, or at least until she is butchered for almond steaks. Yum!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

What boggles my mind is that human beings have been on the planet drinking milk for roughly 7,500 years yet every single time a milk thread pops up somebody says "I can't believe we humans drink milk." It's been 7,500 years. How are you still surprised by this?

Also if the cows let her, my dog would totally be sucking a little tit right now to get some milk.

do you mean we've been drinking cows milk for 7,500 years (asking just for clarification, I'm no anthropologist)? the poster above you specified the oddity of drinking another mammal's milk, not our mothers.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Everyone around me would prefer I don't drink milk. I prefer whole and won't drink anything less than 2%, even in coffee.
  • Smroth11
    Smroth11 Posts: 1
    Options
    Why cows milk? Is there a reason you think you need this? Have you looked at the grams of SUGAR in skim, 1% and 2% milk? It is so processed and full of sugar thats its not healthy to even drink it. Coconut milk has much less sugar, a little more fat, and even more calcium! Almond milk has much less sugar and less fat. I like the taste of coconut milk over almond milk. If you want real dairy, even though its not necessary for your health, opt for cottage cheese or nonfat plain greek yogurt. Milk is bad!!
  • Serhansom
    Options
    While you’ve probably always been told to drink reduced-fat milk, the majority of scientific studies show that drinking whole milk actually improves cholesterol levels, just not as much as drinking fat-free does.

2% - The best milk option, if you want to cut calories, is to go for lower-fat milk varieties – 1 cup of 2% milk has 24 fewer calories then 1 cup of whole milk (and a cup of skim milk has 36 fewer calories than 2%). But 2% isn’t a poor nutritious choice-it still comes with belly-filling protein and loaded with 286mg of calcium, which meets nearly a third of your daily calcium needs.

Fat-free- Fat free milk has the most calcium, the least fat, and the fewest calories of all the milk varieties. Whichever you choose, here’s one more pitch for drinking the stuff: Milk is one of the best muscle foods on the planet. The protein in milk is about 80% casein and 20% whey. Both are high-quality proteins.