Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It's a little hard to pass judgement when your carts full of condoms and vodka.
    How YOU doin'?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know its none of my business, but I do notice when people have a cart loaded with crappy food....especially when they are big themselves, and have a couple of overweight children in tow.. It makes me a little sad to realize how clueless a lot of people are about nutrition, and sad that they've obviously passed on bad habits to the next generation.

Of course, I'd never, in a million years say anything to a stranger about their choices....but I think we all judge (in our own heads) sometimes...even the people who claim they don't! :ohwell:
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    No, not at all. The food in my cart is always a mixed bag, as I'm not only shopping for myself, but for my husband and kids, too. So, while I am not munching on chips or cookies, my husband and kids enjoy them, and I'm not going to deprive them of those things (believe, me, there would be a serious uprising if I did!). They are all healthy, active, and not the least bit overweight. However, they are also well aware that chips and cookies are not happening if they don't eat their fruits and veggies first! :wink:
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I notice too, but find my cart load is more expensive than those who buy the junk!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I admit I raise a brow when I see carts loaded with soda.

Otherwise I don't really pay too much attention to what other people have.
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lol. I'm probably one of the ones you're passing judgment on. I buy chocolate, ice cream, cookies and chips. I must be a special snowflake because I've lost 65 pounds.

You don't know people, so get over yourself.

I am trying and I don't do it intentionally - If you had read the original post one of the main things I have noticed though is the financial aspect. A half full cart full of 'less healthy' options (is that politically correct? Never mind, I am not a politician) - a half full cart of crap cost more that a full cart of perimeter food. Vegs fruits, meats.... That was my big shocker. But like I said, I find myself doing it but wish I didn't. I don't recall ever saying I passed juusgement. What I did say was that I gloat a little over my choices. There is nothing wrong with being proud of the food you are eating. ESPECIALLY when I know darn well my cart used to look like that.

**This replied in the wrong spot, sorry. Was in response to being called judgemental.....
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It honestly makes me angry when I see parents filling their cart with cheap junk food. I wouldn't even feed half of that crap to my dogs, let alone another human being. Teach your kids how to make good food choices!!

Other than that, it doesn't bother me. Sometimes I secretly hope that they'll feel motivated by seeing all of the healthy food in my cart and buy something good for themselves.

Cashiers almost always say something to me. Usually I get the "Oh, you don't need all of this healty food! You're already thin!" Still getting used to that last part (being called "thin") but what bothers me is the notion that you only need to eat healthy food if you're overweight.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I am a little bit. I notice mainly when it's blatant. I remember a couple months ago one family (very overweight) in front of me that had a cart filled with probably 15 boxes of Kraft Dinner, 2 gallons of grape drink (in bags like they have for milk - eww), and all sorts of other junk food. You just feel bad for the kids.

I'm very much a 'to each their own' kind of guy, but with the health care system in Canada, I feel like people should have a slight sense of social responsibility to keep their health in check. That's obviously not the case though and that's one part that bugs me. Knowing that all these people are likely going to need all sorts of expensive treatments.

I'm also aware a huge part of it is education and that they likely don't want to be overweight and unhealthy, but I can't really help the judging.
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Well that's halfway healthy. Some would say a balanced meal :glasses:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Well that's halfway healthy. Some would say a balanced meal :glasses:
    yes, it shows a concern for the health and safety of yourself and others...

Rock on! :smokin:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't judge people but I do notice. I can't help but feel bad for the kids of the parents who come to checkout with lunchables, kraft dinner, zoodles, goldfish, bear paws or pudding cups. I also feel bad when I see people who are obviously trying to be more healthy but they have stuff like light margarin, crystal light and Smart Ones in their cart.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Other than that, it doesn't bother me. Sometimes I secretly hope that they'll feel motivated by seeing all of the healthy food in my cart and buy something good for themselves.

Cashiers almost always say something to me. Usually I get the "Oh, you don't need all of this healty food! You're already thin!" Still getting used to that last part (being called "thin") but what bothers me is the notion that you only need to eat healthy food if you're overweight.

I always wonder if people notice the healthy food in my cart. For the most part it's usually just meat, veggies, and cheese.

I've never gotten any comments from the cashier though. I'm thinking the bacon and other fatty meats might have something to do with it though.

It'd be interesting to be a cashier for the day. I'd be curious to know what the average person purchases. Are a lot of the overweight people buying healthy foods? Do most of the skinny and in shape people buy a lot of junk? I don't know, I feel it'd be a bit of an eye opener.
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sorry, never eat lean cuisene (sp). We eat Dinner. That meal that when we had the big heaping cart of crap was usually pizza or hamburger helper. Now is Turkey burgers or Chicken breast with steamed veggies. I will pass on the beef jerky but no sugar added icecream treats are in my cart, along with some tasty fruit so no feeling bad for this gal. Yum Yum.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Lol. I'm probably one of the ones you're passing judgment on. I buy chocolate, ice cream, cookies and chips. I must be a special snowflake because I've lost 65 pounds.

You don't know people, so get over yourself.

I am trying and I don't do it intentionally - If you had read the original post one of the main things I have noticed though is the financial aspect. A half full cart full of 'less healthy' options (is that politically correct? Never mind, I am not a politician) - a half full cart of crap cost more that a full cart of perimeter food. Vegs fruits, meats.... That was my big shocker. But like I said, I find myself doing it but wish I didn't. I don't recall ever saying I passed juusgement. What I did say was that I gloat a little over my choices. There is nothing wrong with being proud of the food you are eating. ESPECIALLY when I know darn well my cart used to look like that.

**This replied in the wrong spot, sorry. Was in response to being called judgemental.....

This isn't judging?
    and mentally gloat at my healthier choices

Erm okay.

I buy what I like. The cost is negligible.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sorry, never eat lean cuisene (sp). We eat Dinner. That meal that when we had the big heaping cart of crap was usually pizza or hamburger helper. Now is Turkey burgers or Chicken breast with steamed veggies. I will pass on the beef jerky but no sugar added icecream treats are in my cart, along with some tasty fruit so no feeling bad for this gal. Yum Yum.

Turkey burgers and no sugar added icecream should also go in your crap category and pizza should be moved to the non crap category
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    no.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I try not to be judgmental but can't help it sometimes. I work in. Grocery store as a cake decorator. I love my job but I hate that I contribute to most people's addictions. My job is to make beautiful desserts people can't resist and I am very good at it :wink: I have some customers who weigh 300+ and they visit me weekly to buy full cakes. :cry: I wish I could tell them no. But it's how I make a living.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would look into your cart full of veggies and lean cuisines and then into my cart full of Potato chips, Beef Jerky, Ice Cream etc. then laugh on the inside and feel really sorry for you.

So...yes, you are a grocery store snob.