weight lifting results for women plz!

Options

Replies

• 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    NROL4W is "New Rules of Lifting for Women". This is a book/lifting program that a lot of us love. The book is very good (and funny) with some good info about lifting in general, lifting for women (don't be afraid to lift heavy) and nutrition.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366650014&sr=1-1&keywords=nrolfw

Available on Amazon.
  • Tammi623
    Tammi623 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome! You guys look amazing! ^_^
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    The scale isn't everything. I've been lifting for almost 5 months. I've gained 5 lbs and dropped 2 sized. Not to mention how much stronger I am. I can deadlift more than my body weight.

December, 184 lbs
    BeforeLiveFit.jpg

April, 189 lbs
    041713Progress_zpsf1573f75.jpg
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    More women need to see this so they stop thinking that lifting will make them look like a man!!! You ladies all look beautiful and sexy!!! :love: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    My profile picture is about 6 months change from NROL4W. Not even finished with the program yet :-) (PS Only about 2 pounds difference in the pictures)

Wow, You look amazing!

What is NROL4W?

Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks! I have finished the program since posting this, here are my completion pictures:
    8+months+front.png
    8+months+back.png

Someone already answers but I think it bares repeating. The program is "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and it is a book with an exercise and eating plan geared to get women lifting heavy. I'd recommend it for anyone looking to throw their preconceived notions about bulking up out the window :laugh:
  • GIAngel222
    GIAngel222 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hello, I used to lift weights pretty often but I don't as much anymore because I feel like I can't go harder or get stronger because I have to constantly ask strangers (men) for help (it is annoying for them and me)! The weights that I am lifting are too heavy for me to get them into position (for certain workouts). I would love to have someone to workout with that can help me and vice versa.

Are there any other women out there that have this issue? If so, what do you do?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Hello, I used to lift weights pretty often but I don't as much anymore because I feel like I can't go harder or get stronger because I have to constantly ask strangers (men) for help (it is annoying for them and me)! The weights that I am lifting are too heavy for me to get them into position (for certain workouts). I would love to have someone to workout with that can help me and vice versa.

Are there any other women out there that have this issue? If so, what do you do?

What do you mean? Like a spot on the bench or squat rack (is there one in your gym)?

Generally I workout alone without a spotter and have consistently gained strength. You'd be surprised at the motivation that comes from not wanting to get stuck at the bottom of a lift.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

The only thing I've ever needed help with is getting dumbbells to the starting position for a benchpress. I just asked, didn't seem to bother anyone. Do you need a spotter for anything else? If so, and it bothers you, perhaps look for alternative exercises that target the same muscles.
  • crystalhenry
    crystalhenry Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow that is very motivational because I have lost about 35 pounds and Im only 10 away from my initial goal weight, the scales havent changed much for me these past couple months but I can see a difference with my body! I am also weight lifting with cardio so I know it has to be muscle weight. It is still frustrating because as hard as I work and eat healthy you would think I would be dropping weight so fast. Oh well thank you for that post!
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    <---- my profile pic. They are exactly a year apart. I started weight lifting about 4-5 months before the second pic was taken :-)
  • skinnyfat14
    skinnyfat14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alexiaans
    alexiaans Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You women are truly inspirational! More incentive to keep lifting and lifting heavy!
  • rosasharon
    rosasharon Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    tagged for monitoring!
  • donohoe4
    donohoe4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have been doing intense weight trainging for about a month now. Before, I was a cardio junkie. I have lost 3% body fat in just a month! It's amazing what weights can do for you!
  • GIAngel222
    Options

The only thing I've ever needed help with is getting dumbbells to the starting position for a benchpress. I just asked, didn't seem to bother anyone. Do you need a spotter for anything else? If so, and it bothers you, perhaps look for alternative exercises that target the same muscles.

I do need a spotter and sometimes someone to help me get, for example, 100 lbs in position for front squats. I do 4 reps when I workout and to ask somebody to help me all four times just seems like I would be annoying them.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Started three years ago with a 65lb deadlift for three reps.

Now im getting 275lbs for six reps.

used to curl 20lbs for 5. Now im curling 40 for 14.

Used to need help carrying dog food. Now i help move furniture and water heaters.

went from a skinny fat size 3 to a rock solid 7.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The scale isn't everything. I've been lifting for almost 5 months. I've gained 5 lbs and dropped 2 sized. Not to mention how much stronger I am. I can deadlift more than my body weight.

December, 184 lbs
    BeforeLiveFit.jpg

April, 189 lbs
    041713Progress_zpsf1573f75.jpg

Awesome that you gained weight and still lost two dress sizes. If you don't mind me asking, How tall are you? and What size are you in vs. where you started?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

I do need a spotter and sometimes someone to help me get, for example, 100 lbs in position for front squats. I do 4 reps when I workout and to ask somebody to help me all four times just seems like I would be annoying them.

Yeah I get that. Why not switch to back squats? Honestly I tried fronts for a while but my wrists couldn't handle as much weight as my legs can. I personally switch from dumbbell bench press (which I prefer for stability reasons) to barbell once I get to a certain weight so that I can do it alone!
  • GIAngel222
    Options

Yeah I get that. Why not switch to back squats? Honestly I tried fronts for a while but my wrists couldn't handle as much weight as my legs can. I personally switch from dumbbell bench press (which I prefer for stability reasons) to barbell once I get to a certain weight so that I can do it alone!

Thank you for your help! Maybe I just need to change things up a bit! :smile:
  • timeforsomethingsweet
    timeforsomethingsweet Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Love seeing these!! congrats =)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!