Level Obstacles: Lose Weight, Target Fat! (EASY!!)

Options

Replies

• Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I see all these threads about TDEE, spread sheets to calculate your #'s, eating more than MFP recommends, etc..
    That's all great and I appreciate everyone's input.
    My only question is, why doesn't MFP change the way it calculates your #'s? I don't get it?
  • bobilei
    bobilei Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm new in the community and this topic is the 1st I read (which by the way is very well written). Firstly, I'm suprised that MFP seems to fix 1200kcal as a daily target for lots of users, with different characteristics. As I started the diet, it was hard to keep just below or equal to 1200kcal, I was so hungry, it turned me mad sometimes (fortunately now the feeling is reduced!). With this process, my loss was 2-3lbs in 2 weeks.

Thanks to all your comments, I just computed my TDEE (~115 lbs, 4'11.8" -> so 1780 kcal) and my BMR (1700kcal if sedentary). According to your explanation, advices and the formula TDEE - 15% or 20%, my daily goal should not lower something like 1400kcal. I think I will update my daily goal to this value and try to reach 100lbs. Do you think the plan is correct ? Besides, in fact, does it mean that following the MFP goal can lead to health issues ? :-/

Hope I can continue to share information with you :-)
  • rsward
    rsward Posts: 45
    Options
    bump
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm new in the community and this topic is the 1st I read (which by the way is very well written). Firstly, I'm suprised that MFP seems to fix 1200kcal as a daily target for lots of users, with different characteristics. As I started the diet, it was hard to keep just below or equal to 1200kcal, I was so hungry, it turned me mad sometimes (fortunately now the feeling is reduced!). With this process, my loss was 2-3lbs in 2 weeks.

Thanks to all your comments, I just computed my TDEE (~115 lbs, 4'11.8" -> so 1780 kcal) and my BMR (1700kcal if sedentary). According to your explanation, advices and the formula TDEE - 15% or 20%, my daily goal should not lower something like 1400kcal. I think I will update my daily goal to this value and try to reach 100lbs. Do you think the plan is correct ? Besides, in fact, does it mean that following the MFP goal can lead to health issues ? :-/

It seems a little odd to me that your TDEE would only be 80 calories over your BMR. I ran some numbers really quickly and I see your BMR is on the order of 1320 (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/); just for a frame of reference. Further, since you're already so close to your target weight, and probably have a relatively low body fat percentage, 1400 seems too low. 0.85 * 1780 = 1515 calories for a 15% deficit.

Following the MFP goal can lead to health issues if you don't use the site the way it is intended. They try to be clear when users set goals.
    I see all these threads about TDEE, spread sheets to calculate your #'s, eating more than MFP recommends, etc..
    That's all great and I appreciate everyone's input. My only question is, why doesn't MFP change the way it calculates your #'s? I don't get it?

I don't really think MFP is the problem - - the people who have issues often feel like they have a good day if they go under their calories. They may be under the impression, for instance, that not eating back exercise calories will somehow accelerate their weight loss. I think MFP tries to make it as simple as possible. If people don't use the site the way it is designed, they see adverse effects and decide to seek a better understanding of how weight loss works, hence threads like this and all the helpful people in the forums.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Hello,

It seems a little odd to me that your TDEE would only be 80 calories over your BMR. I ran some numbers really quickly and I see your BMR is on the order of 1320 (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/); just for a frame of reference. Further, since you're already so close to your target weight, and probably have a relatively low body fat percentage, 1400 seems too low. 0.85 * 1780 = 1515 calories for a 15% deficit.

Following the MFP goal can lead to health issues if you don't use the site the way it is intended. They try to be clear when users set goals.
    That's all great and I appreciate everyone's input. My only question is, why doesn't MFP change the way it calculates your #'s? I don't get it?

I don't really think MFP is the problem - - the people who have issues often feel like they have a good day if they go under their calories. They may be under the impression, for instance, that not eating back exercise calories will somehow accelerate their weight loss. I think MFP tries to make it as simple as possible. If people don't use the site the way it is designed, they see adverse effects and decide to seek a better understanding of how weight loss works, hence threads like this and all the helpful people in the forums.

True and I think a lot of people neglect to add condiments and beverages in there calorie count too!
  • mcdonoughjl
    Options
    bump for reference
  • GThibz
    GThibz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post
  • michie27
    michie27 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I think part of that is they just ask "how fast do you want to lose weight" and people pick 2 lbs a week even when MFP recommends less. I think the "recommends" part is too simple and leaves "why" to the user's imagination. If I "can" lose 2 lbs a week why would I choose 1 instead? If it said something when you went against their recommendation like, "the additional weight you lose isn't going to be fat, and you're going to screw up your hormones and metabolism and be miserable," then maybe fewer people would choose the highest/fastest setting.
  • JenJenER
    JenJenER Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump for reference
  • Bee_B
    Bee_B Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump for reference :)
  • dtroutman
    dtroutman Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for making this easier to understand!! : ) Glad I found this thread:smile:
  • ilhuilth
    ilhuilth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is a great post, makes a lot of sense!!!
  • bobilei
    bobilei Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. I agree with you, mu calculation were wrong. After verifying mu TDEE and BMR with several tools I also find averages like yours. I can now fix new goals accordingly to my characs :). Your explanation are very clear, thank u ! Let's use MFP wisely..
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love this topic!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    bump
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Love it.