Keto?

Options

Replies

• cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think the whole "low carb lifestyle" has been completely over-hyped.

I think you may be one of those people who are not carbohydrate intolerant or insulin resistant and you should be glad. But, until you open your mind to the reality that there are many people out there with widely varying degrees of both issues, you will never understand that for us it is not over-hyped, but under-hyped. There are many people who would benefit metabolically from a low carb or keto diet and they never try it because people like you with limited and biased information tell them it is unhealthy and over-hyped. The fact that many in the medical field are just as uninformed as you doesn't change the fact that this way of eating works for many people and it is more healthy than feeding ourselves with foods we are unable to properly process. Do a little research on the side effects of uncontrolled Diabetes and tell me those are healthy for me.

Claiming that everyone else, including medical professionals, are somehow "uninformed" is a dead giveaway to a fad diet.

I'm not saying that eating a ton of carbs, or eating fake carbs, is okay, I'm just saying that carbs have somehow become the enemy in today's fad diet environment; however, when in eaten as part of an overall healthy lifestyle...carbs are essential.

And how many years did the medical establishment tell us that eating margarine was more healthy for us before they finally accepted the fact that trans fats are bad for people?

I'm not saying "everyone" is misinformed. There are a lot of people out there who have done the research and read the arguments in favor of and against low carb or ketogenic diets. Have you? I doubt it. You stated yourself in this very post that the limited research you did led you to believe this was an all bacon diet and therefore bad and that perhaps that is not the case. By your own admission, you know very little about a ketogenic diet, but yet here you are telling us how unhealthy it is. Please, go read a book or ten about low carb/ketogenic diets and how they function in a person with carbohydrate intolerance and insulin resistance and then come back and tell me how I should eat the same "healthy" high carb diet that has been slowly killing me for the past 25 years.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I know Keto may have worked for some, but to me it sounds like just another fad diet. Keto severely slashes carbs...sometimes to fewer than 100g/day; that's not healthy nor sustainable.

Fads don't last 40 years. Less than 100 g of carbs per day is perfectly sustainable, and is perfectly healthy.

Meh, that may be. Still, 100g of carbs is equal to roughly 3 bananas. Cutting carbs that much will make you feel tired/moody all the time.
    bananas are not the only foods with carbs..u can get LOTS of carbs from other fruit and veg and live a VERY normal life on 100 grams or less of carbs..I eat this way and other than the adjustment period this has been the best thing I have ever done.It has allowed me to get control of my sugar cravings.I have been losing inches as well as weight and I feel great!
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options

Whoa...whoa...whoa....you only eat 25g of carbs/day? That's completely unhealthy...especially when supplemented with a lifestyle of bacon & chocolate. At 25g (or less) of carbs/day I don't know how anyone could function.
    ermagerd... Why does everyone always say this? Can you elaborate on why you think it is unhealthy? Most bacon is only unhealthy because of the added nitrates and crap. If you're smart about what kind of bacon you buy, it's perfectly fine. And chocolate is generally not eaten on a keto diet (hello, sugar!), unless you have very dark chocolate (think 70% or higher). Dark chocolate is actually pretty good for you in moderation!

If you're thinking about it being unhealthy on a micronutrients level, can a person on a keto diet not get all of their micronutrient needs through other non-carby foods like vegetables? Lots of veggies have the same micronutrients that fruit has, without all the unnecessary sugars.

The people that I've know who've tried to follow low carb fad diets ALWAYS supplemented their lack of carbs by eating "healthy" (read: low carb) foods like bacon. They would eat copious amounts of high-fat, cholesterol-laden foods "because they can". Eventually, they got the point where low carb was no longer sustainable...once they got off the low carb train the weight came back with a fury.

Low carb diets are the latest diet craze because they produce quick results (mostly water weight) but participants are encouraged to eat unhealthy, high-fat foods. Rather than eat a healthy balance of all the macros your body needs, they severely (and unnecessarily) limit carbs to unsustainable levels. I mean, come, let's get real: are you really going to be able to eat only ~25g carbs/day every day for the rest of your life...NO.

A balanced approach to diet (noun) and fitness is necessary for long-term success
    But why is eating fat so bad? Us low-carbers seem to get shunned for apparently demonizing carbs, but you're doing exactly the same thing with fat by making it seem like the villain. Eating fat does not make you fat.

You're right in saying that the majority of people jumping on the low-carb train will end up derailing later and gaining it all back with a fury. But, if a person does it smart by reintroducing carbs into their diet gradually (like upping carb intake by 50g per week for a few weeks), then the weight re-gain will be minimal and mostly due to water. You just have to approach it the right way to make it work.

I didn't say fat was villainous. One should eat a healthy balance of all their macros (fat, carbs, protein)...severely limiting or over-eating a certain category is not healthy. The people that I knew that did the low carb thing were eating way too many high-fat foods daily.
  • rhogr000
    Options

I think you may be one of those people who are not carbohydrate intolerant or insulin resistant and you should be glad. But, until you open your mind to the reality that there are many people out there with widely varying degrees of both issues, you will never understand that for us it is not over-hyped, but under-hyped. There are many people who would benefit metabolically from a low carb or keto diet and they never try it because people like you with limited and biased information tell them it is unhealthy and over-hyped. The fact that many in the medical field are just as uninformed as you doesn't change the fact that this way of eating works for many people and it is more healthy than feeding ourselves with foods we are unable to properly process. Do a little research on the side effects of uncontrolled Diabetes and tell me those are healthy for me.

Claiming that everyone else, including medical professionals, are somehow "uninformed" is a dead giveaway to a fad diet.

I'm not saying that eating a ton of carbs, or eating fake carbs, is okay, I'm just saying that carbs have somehow become the enemy in today's fad diet environment; however, when in eaten as part of an overall healthy lifestyle...carbs are essential.

And how many years did the medical establishment tell us that eating margarine was more healthy for us before they finally accepted the fact that trans fats are bad for people?

I'm not saying "everyone" is misinformed. There are a lot of people out there who have done the research and read the arguments in favor of and against low carb or ketogenic diets. Have you? I doubt it. You stated yourself in this very post that the limited research you did led you to believe this was an all bacon diet and therefore bad and that perhaps that is not the case. By your own admission, you know very little about a ketogenic diet, but yet here you are telling us how unhealthy it is. Please, go read a book or ten about low carb/ketogenic diets and how they function in a person with carbohydrate intolerance and insulin resistance and then come back and tell me how I should eat the same "healthy" high carb diet that has been slowly killing me for the past 25 years.

Somehow this conversation morphed from Keto to low-carb fad diets. I was initially misinformed about Keto, but not about low-carb fad diets.

Regarding low-carb diets, I trust the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-carb-diet/NU00279/NSECTIONGROUP=2
  • cheryl3660
    Options

I can agree with this. I think for many people like myself carbs are the enemy, but I am extremely carbohydrate sensitive. My case is probably the opposite extreme of how you process carbs. But that doesn't mean I am going to tell you that you are eating unhealthy and that your high carb diet is a fad. For me carbs over 100g a day is "high carb." You might disagree and that's fine for you. My point is that what is fine for you is not fine for everyone.

I believe there are a lot of people out there eating unhealthy fats under the guise of "eating a low carb diet" and they cannot sustain that because they aren't giving their bodies the nutrients they need. There is no such thing as a no carb diet because you need the nutrients that you find in vegetables and some fruits. Low carb and ketogenic diets are not for everyone, and many people use them improperly (a basic human trait to misuse things) but that doesn't make them a fad or unhealthy.

Everyone does need an overall healthy lifestyle, but what many people fail to understand is that your healthy lifestyle isn't necessarily healthy for me and vice versa.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ummm.... just,
    A ketogenic "keto" diet is quite simply any diet that forces the body into a process called ketosis, whereby fats are burned instead of carbohydrates for use as energy. A proper ketogenic diet calls for the dieter to consume high amounts of fat, adequate amounts of protein, and very low amounts of carbohydrates. Our bodies are used to turning carbohydrates into glucose to send all over the body as energy. When we enter ketosis by sufficiently limiting our carbohydrate intake, our livers start breaking down fat cells into fatty acids and ketones, to be used as energy.

It has many similarities to the Atkin’s Diet, and is cousins with other popular diets like South Beach and Paleo.

High amounts of fat, Low amounts of carbs, and I haven't died or had any medical complication yet! :wink:
  • AEMachado
    Options
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/lowcarb.htm
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/high-protein-low-carbohydrate-diets
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-carb-diet/NU00279

There is no argument that low carb high fat will help you lose weight. After reading all of these articles I stand by my thoughts that low carb is not worth the risk.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the atkins diet to me! I love atkins diet. I will look into into this as well. Good luck on your journey
  • snowblind50999
    snowblind50999 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Keto and Primal sound very similar... here is an interesting article from Marks Daily Apple on carbs vs. fat as an energy source.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/#axzz2RxuSIIEv
  • cheryl3660
    Options
    Regarding low-carb diets, I trust the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-carb-diet/NU00279/NSECTIONGROUP=2

I agree that anyone who is following a low carb diet solely as a means to lose weight is going to gain all of the weight back once they stop. This is definition of a low carb fad diet. That I can agree with. The problem is that this is not what the low carb diet is intended to be. It is intended to be a way of life. It has been abused by many and misunderstood by many and this causes a lot of problems to the validity of low carb diets. After all, a ketogenic diet IS a low carb diet by definition.

But I do understand the point you are trying to make - the counter to that is that it is not the low carb way of eating, it is the tendancy of people to look for quick fixes and then just go back to eating unhealthy again that is the problem. People do this to themselves and those of us who are required to live a low carb lifestyle are forced to deal with the constant barrage of being told we are unhealthy.

I hate that the word "diet" has become synonymous with weight loss as it tends to scew the understanding of what a true low carb diet is.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Somehow this conversation morphed from Keto to low-carb fad diets. I was initially misinformed about Keto, but not about low-carb fad diets.

Some of that article was pretty funny. "It's also possible that severely restricting carbohydrates to less than 20 grams a day can result in ketosis"
    Ketosis is the entire point of the dietary approach. All of the "symptoms" listed are transient and ARE in fact the same symptoms of hypoglycemia (I'm sure the diabetics here can tell ya).

Now of course we know "fat doesn't make you fat", yet the mayoclinic is still advocating the "low fat" diets most people got fat on?

It's unfortunate, but the healthcare industry doesn't exactly turn a profit from healthy people.
  • rhogr000
    Options

I can agree with this. I think for many people like myself carbs are the enemy, but I am extremely carbohydrate sensitive. My case is probably the opposite extreme of how you process carbs. But that doesn't mean I am going to tell you that you are eating unhealthy and that your high carb diet is a fad. For me carbs over 100g a day is "high carb." You might disagree and that's fine for you. My point is that what is fine for you is not fine for everyone.

I believe there are a lot of people out there eating unhealthy fats under the guise of "eating a low carb diet" and they cannot sustain that because they aren't giving their bodies the nutrients they need. There is no such thing as a no carb diet because you need the nutrients that you find in vegetables and some fruits. Low carb and ketogenic diets are not for everyone, and many people use them improperly (a basic human trait to misuse things) but that doesn't make them a fad or unhealthy.

Everyone does need an overall healthy lifestyle, but what many people fail to understand is that your healthy lifestyle isn't necessarily healthy for me and vice versa.

Ha ha. Fair enough. I've just seen so many people crash and burn as a result of a low carb fad diet that I can't take it anymore. Fad diets are the bane of many would-be healthy people.
  • rhogr000
    Options

Some of that article was pretty funny. "It's also possible that severely restricting carbohydrates to less than 20 grams a day can result in ketosis"
    Ketosis is the entire point of the dietary approach. All of the "symptoms" listed are transient and ARE in fact the same symptoms of hypoglycemia (I'm sure the diabetics here can tell ya).

Now of course we know "fat doesn't make you fat", yet the mayoclinic is still advocating the "low fat" diets most people got fat on?

It's unfortunate, but the healthcare industry doesn't exactly turn a profit from healthy people.

"It's also possible that severely restricting carbohydrates to less than 20 grams a day can result in ketosis. Ketosis occurs when you don't have enough sugar (glucose) for energy, so your body breaks down stored fat, causing ketones to build up in your body. Side effects from ketosis can include nausea, headache, mental fatigue and bad breath. "

Doesn't sound too good to me.

And please, spare me the "the healthcare industry keeps us sick for profit" speech.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Well, I am diabetic, and why anyone would want to voluntarily put their bodies into ketosis is beyond me.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    Options

"It's also possible that severely restricting carbohydrates to less than 20 grams a day can result in ketosis. Ketosis occurs when you don't have enough sugar (glucose) for energy, so your body breaks down stored fat, causing ketones to build up in your body. Side effects from ketosis can include nausea, headache, mental fatigue and bad breath. "

And please, spare me the "the healthcare industry keeps us sick for profit" speech.

Ugh, but the healthcare industry is trying keeping us sick and tired to make profit... just saying...
    Whether or not we chose keep eating all that processed junk is totally different from the topic at hand of a person's freewill.

But those symptoms you speak of with ketosis, from my personal experience, and countless others are temporary, and go away after a week or so the are not permanent. And breaking down your stored body fat?!?! Oh no!! Who wants that to happen to their body?! Smelly breath versus breaking down stored body fat?
    I invested in tic tacs for that first week.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I know Keto may have worked for some, but to me it sounds like just another fad diet. Keto severely slashes carbs...sometimes to fewer than 100g/day; that's not healthy nor sustainable.

um...i eat 35g or less a day...have been for about a year and a half. HOW is that unhealthy or unsustainable? smh...
    :noway:

and to answer the OP: i get a lot of recipes from 247lowcarbdiner.com. she is a kitchen WIZARD!!! PaleOMG and Civilized Caveman are also worth checking out. good luck with your changes!
  • JessicaOnKeto
    Options
    Well, I am diabetic, and why anyone would want to voluntarily put their bodies into ketosis is beyond me.

To teach my body to burn it's own body fat, and fat I feed it for energy versus carbs/glucose for energy.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I don't purposely try to be in ketosis as I don't see it as beneficial to me at this point. That said, I was in ketosis for the first few months of my epic weight loss quest, but when I started lifting heavy weights, I found I needed to bump up my carbs slightly. I eat anywhere from 30-70g carbs/daily now, but I'm usually more towards the higher end...around 60-70g. Prior to lifting I stayed under 50g/day with no problems.

Apart from what I mentioned with the energy issue when I first started lifting, I've not had any trouble getting through my pretty intense schedule of training. I think anyone, regardless of carb intake, has to deal with adjusting to new sorts of training, and often that requires adjustment of one's diet.

I eat this way because I have health issues I'm managing, so it's not some wacky "fad diet" sorta thing for me. I have insulin resistance, PCOS, and am sensitive to gluten, as well as a few food allergies. Since I've changed my eating I've managed to get off ALL the meds I was on for PCOS and the insulin resistance. I'm doing great with keeping my hormones balanced and my blood sugar in check, and this is due to both my diet changes and the sort of exercise I do.

Riding your bike 3 or 4 miles would not be a problem on less than 120g/carbs if you were acclimated to eating less carbs and were eating healthy foods. A 3-4 mile bike ride is really quite short, actually. From your earlier posts, I was thinking you were some sort of endurance athlete, cycling hundreds of miles, LOL! I was agreeing with you that it would be hard to ride great distances with no carbs whatsoever. Though there are indeed endurance cyclists who stay pretty low carb. Check out Vinnie Tortorich, for instance. My exercise consists of a daily 4 mile walk, in addition to the lifting or kettlebell training, depending on the day.

Bacon--yes, I eat it a few times per week. It's tasty! However the bulk of my diet is made up of a variety of veggies (lots of leafy greens) and whatever protein, a bit of fruit, the occasional sweet potato...healthy fats. Nothing weird or unhealthy about it. I have a little dark chocolate here and there.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

The primary reason that stuff happens is because none of us really get into that state in our entire lives, up until the point we actually enter ketosis.
    To use another analogy of the body fighting change, think of drug addicts or alcoholics. If you did X everyday for 20 years, then all of a sudden stopped; you wouldn't exactly be in great shape.
    The symptoms of hypoglycemia go away relatively quickly, DT can be fatal.

Really if our body wasn't meant to use fat as a source of energy, that ability wouldn't be there. There's nothing unnatural or dangerous about it.

Now I'm not trying to spout off some conspiracy theory here. But really the healthcare industry makes money from recurrent patients, and medications. You'd be hard pressed to find (anyone really) that goes to the doctor regularly, that is 50+, and on anything less then 10 meds.