HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• skinnyjuu
    skinnyjuu Posts: 24 Member
    Amazinggg!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member

I am not minimizing it, i said she got good results. I am saying, "you didn't get your results from lifting." that's what i am saying...

Two studies that showed preservation or increase of LBM with resistance training while in a caloric deficit. Cardio alone did not preserve LBM.
    http://www.jacn.org/content/18/2/115.abstract
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23019316

First one, was not even close. I saw 800 calories a day and i just closed out of it. I think that's the one where they just at a lot of protein and lifted and preserved LBM. I am familiar with that study. The calories are just way to low to even compare.

The 2nd study we can compare to some degree. The results to the Aerobic group and the aerobic and weight training group where pretty much similar. So to avoid confusion I'll just call it aerobic group. The resistance group will just be called the resistance group.

What this study shows:
    1. The aerobic group lost more total weight and fat mass than the resistance group.
    2. Resistance group put on more LBM than aerobic group.

Now the problem is they where all over weight. It was done on over weight people. As I said above, people who are more over weight will use more body fat for energy. This means they will get more nutrients to feed their muscles. Which can cause an increase of LBM when resistance training is sufficient. What happens if you burn more calories? Some of those calories will get used for energy when you workout. This will limit the nutrients to your muscles which can lead to a loss of LBM.

The aerobic group lost some LBM that's obvious. Now the aerobic and weight training group also lost some LBM. Shouldn't the resistance training preserve LBM? How come it didn't? It's more than likely due to the degree of the calorie deficit. I don't got the data for calories consumed, but just common sense is that they would burn more calories if they all at the same amount of calories.

Are you still talking?

RT and AT/RT increased lean body mass more than AT

You then go on to talk about calorie deficit after you disregarded the study where calories were controlled on a VLCD. Resistance training STILL preserved LBM.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Lea, you deserve for this to roll
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    SQUAT, BEEP!!! (rhymes with witch)

33110506_7732.jpg
    33110506_3110.jpg
    33110506_7742.jpg

6e166584-3a53-457e-aafd-a01c5eb46936_zpscdae92ed.jpg

oh, look! hi me again.

merrily we roll alonggggg

*lick*

Rolled yet?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Amazinggg!

QFT
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    JHRMd04l.jpg

The butt to end all butts. I'll take 1, please.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    JHRMd04l.jpg

That thing defies gravity
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member

Now here's the kicker, how are they going to gain LBM on a calorie deficit? (i will go for newbie gains, but those are small). What i just realized, it's not really about increase of LBM. it's about muscle tension in a relaxed state. (i forgot the name of this). Your muscles look better, but there isn't more muscle mass.The muscles are just contracted when in a relaxed state.

I do agree women can look better lifting weights. I am all for that. This doesn't mean there is an increase of LBM. It actually gets pretty complex. This leads in to different types of hypertrophy(increase of muscle cell size) and neurological adaptation. That's beyond the scope of this discussion. I am saying "weight training didn't cause her 20lbs weight loss(or whatever it was in 5 months). Does she have less fat on her? yes... I am not denying that. As I think of it, I know women about her starting weight and lost about 30-40lbs with out weight lifting and gotten similar results.

Why don't you go start your own thread about how you think lifting heavy doesn't impact LBM on a deficit? Are you going to troll every post like this or did you just have a bone to pick with Lea?
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    JHRMd04l.jpg

Thank you, may I have another?
  • whierd
    JHRMd04l.jpg

That thing defies gravity

And pants.
  • Factory_Reset
    JHRMd04l.jpg

Me too, me too
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    JHRMd04l.jpg

Me too, me too

Is there a line forming? Because I want 1, too!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Lea, you are one of the many beautiful mfp ladies who lift, that made me want to lift. Your "offer" to hold my hand and slap my a** was really just a added bonus!! THANK YOU for being inspiring and all that :flowerforyou:

And Naomi and Iulia I cannot wait to get bulky like you ladies :flowerforyou: (did not look at everyone's pics so I'm sure there's more)

Thank you, doll!

You'll love getting bulky like us.

Although Iulia really deserves all the credit for these abbbbbbs (get it? that's my six pack)

6hxI1X9.jpg

*ahem

ALL the credit?

Hahaha!

Inside joke.

Actual credit for getting me inside a gym goes to Jules and Desterknee and Yoovie and Apollo. Mostly Jules.

dawww:flowerforyou:

eff that 7 pounds! SQUAT, BEEP!

I'm squatting! Although honestly, I like benching and deadlifting more. Sorry, sensei. :x
  • Factory_Reset
    Ugh, just go home already.
  • whierd
    Do you find deadlifting more exhausting than squatting? Because I do.
  • whierd
    Ugh, just go home already.

Hiiiiiiiii
  • Otterluv
    Between these two photos, I lost one pound and did ZERO cardio.

S63oBzv.jpg

mkGUqeL.jpg

Wow, those are incredible results. You started out gorgeous, but you are truly jaw-dropping now!
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    6hxI1X9.jpg

i1b1.gif
  • Factory_Reset

I find certain mfp members to be more exhausting than doing deadlifts and squats on the same day.
  • Otterluv
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. That's a pretty deep question for this late at night.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!