HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Do people still believe this?? Come on really.... And what is heavy lifting? More than 5lbs!:ohwell:

Stick around a while and watch the MFP forums. You'll be amazed at how often it is brought up that women (and even occasionally men) are afraid of getting bulky from lifting heavy weights.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Before, a few months prior to heavy lifting:

Tcu7zpP.jpg

170 lbs. Size 12 dress. Approximately 30% BF.
    Waist = 33 inches
    Hips = 41 inches
    Under bust = 38 inches
    Thighs = 23 inches
    Arms = 13 inches

Now, 5 months after starting a progressive loading heavy lifting program:

ySQwmSK.jpg

151.8 lbs. Size 4 dress. Approximately 20% BF.
    Waist = 27 inches
    Hips = 36.5 inches
    Under bust = 31 inches
    Thighs = 21.5 inches
    Arms = 11 inches

17.2 lbs lost. 4 sizes lost. Approximately 10% BF lost. 21 inches (and counting) lost.

Still think heavy lifting will make you "bulky?" Think again.

Heavy lifting ladies, I invite you to post YOUR before and after pics. Maybe, just maybe, we can attempt to snuff out this, "WEIGHT LIFTING WILL MAKE ME HYOOOOGE" myth.

3 words A-MAZ-ING!
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:

Bulky is a subjective term. An opinion. Your after pic is not a look I aspire to for myself. You're not as bulky as some of the women on here with weight lifting progress pics, but yes, my *opinion* is that you look bulky *to me*.

Is it a "bad" look? Am I "body shaming" you to say that I don't like that particular look? NO.
    Just as it is not body shaming to say I never want to look like Peta Wilson. She's a beautiful woman, but I find her too thin. Again, not a look to which I personally aspire.

Congratulations on achieving a look that YOU want, and feel is attractive. Congratulations again on finding a fitness activity that you enjoy.

But can we please stop with the constant lulz at women who do not enjoy weightlifting? We get just as tired of hearing about how pathetic we are for not lifting "heavy" as you get of us saying we don't want to be bulky. It's not hard to share your success without poking fun at the people with a different view of success.

Seriously though, are we looking at the photos. There is nothing about the OP I would describe as bulky. She may have more muscle definition than you wish to have and that is fine, we all have our preferences, but she is anything but bulky.

I haven't ever seen anyone here say people are pathetic for not lifting "heavy", ever. NOr do I think that is what the OP is saying. The issue is more often with women who are afraid to lift heavy in fear of becoming bulky. You don't want to lift, don't. I've seen a million threads where people don't want to/can't go to the gym or just don't like lifting and people are quick to point out any number of other options for them.

I actually don't see a lot of muscle definition in that pic at all...........
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Beauteous :flowerforyou:

:heart: It!

Nice work:drinker:
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    WOW, OP looks amazing! i have always been afraid to lift weights due to this.... myth. Im not even sure if i will like it or what to do yet, but i just bought NROLFW, i would like to look this "bulky"! :smile:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    You ladies look....

V58r34V.gif
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thread drama aside... U kick *kitten*. Ignore the comments. Keep on lifting :-)
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

Bulky: Adjective
    Taking up much space, typically inconveniently; large and unwieldy.

Her measurements went down. She is not taking up as much space. Her body is smaller, not larger.

Que?

Funny, sounds like how my wife describes me.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Bulky is a subjective term. An opinion. Your after pic is not a look I aspire to for myself. You're not as bulky as some of the women on here with weight lifting progress pics, but yes, my *opinion* is that you look bulky *to me*.

Is it a "bad" look? Am I "body shaming" you to say that I don't like that particular look? NO.
    Just as it is not body shaming to say I never want to look like Peta Wilson. She's a beautiful woman, but I find her too thin. Again, not a look to which I personally aspire.

Congratulations on achieving a look that YOU want, and feel is attractive. Congratulations again on finding a fitness activity that you enjoy.

But can we please stop with the constant lulz at women who do not enjoy weightlifting? We get just as tired of hearing about how pathetic we are for not lifting "heavy" as you get of us saying we don't want to be bulky. It's not hard to share your success without poking fun at the people with a different view of success.
    Haters gon' hate.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Bulky: Adjective

Her measurements went down. She is not taking up as much space. Her body is smaller, not larger.

Que?

Funny, sounds like how my wife describes me.

That could apply to your junk, Homer. Have you been lying to me this whole time?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You ladies look....

V58r34V.gif

I love this and agree.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    whistles
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Haters gon' hate.

Ain't nobody hatin.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I actually don't see a lot of muscle definition in that pic at all...........

Nor did she say anything about muscle definition. She lost inches, she listed them. She's not bulky. Get it?? Or are you still lost.
    I think she is still lost..

Oh and lifting made me supah bulky too! And look I even weigh more!! Darn those barbells, what a crying shame huh :sad:
    BOJHPYn.jpg?1

MEOW :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Please could you point out exactly where that happened? If you cannot find it...I sense some projection may be at play here.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I came to the kitchen to eat Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Talenti. But thanks to looking at such beautiful ladies, I am no longer thinking of ice cream. You are all incredible.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I came to the kitchen to eat Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Talenti. But thanks to looking at such beautiful ladies, I am no longer thinking of ice cream. You are all incredible.

And with Talenti Chocolate PB Cup, *that* is saying something!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!