HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Well this thread took an unexpected turn :frown:

To stay on POINT that unless you're eating at a surplus and supplementing, women should not be afraid of lifting heavy/heavier weights - clearly lea is NOT bulky but looking fabulous

And speaking as a mom, I have a huge amount of respect and a little envious that she is comfortable rockin a two piece. Lifting obviously has done more for her than just change her outward appearance but how she feels about herself.

It's an inspiration and I hope that in 6mos I have not only lost weight like the OP, built & toned muscle but also rebuilt self esteem.

Lea, you look amazing :flowerforyou:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone who has posted in this thread since I visited it earlier. There's too may of you to mention everyone individually. I'm hoping to post in these kinds of threads next year maybe... and I'll be 50 then. My mom, in her late 70's, still lifts as heavy as she can 3 times a week. I have never seen a bulky woman who hadn't used some sort of drugs.

I don't have any experience with what would happen to my body if I only did cardio, and I don't want to have any of that kind of experience, thankssomuchseeyoulaterbye.

Let's not let this thread get hijacked from its true mission -- that strength training doesn't make you bulky -- in fact it makes you look better than you ever have.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add - the others who posted pics in this thread. Wowsers as well (don't want to name names in case I miss someone and too long to quote. Y'all know who you are)
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I'm 61. I've been working my way through New Rules of Lifting for Women. When I started I could barely do body weight squats and not much more. I just PRd my pulldowns at 100, deadlifts at 140 and OHP at 50.

Do it! You won't regret it!

Wow! This is fantastic!!
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This thread is probably the most inspirational that I have found on MFP! I've been a member on an off for a few years (many usernames) and I can safely say, this is the one that has made me finally realise that there is more to life than cardio!
    Thank you ladies and thank you OP, you are effing amazing!

PS - To the haters, stop showing yourselves up...morons.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    This thread is probably the most inspirational that I have found on MFP! I've been a member on an off for a few years (many usernames) and I can safely say, this is the one that has made me finally realise that there is more to life than cardio!
    Thank you ladies and thank you OP, you are effing amazing!

PS - To the haters, stop showing yourselves up...morons.
    THIS was the whole reason I posted this thread. Not for attention (I have my own success story that I posted for that), but to hopefully just convince ONE person that heavy lifting can work wonders for your body composition.

Success!!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If lifting heavy is wrong, I don't want to be right!
  • nlwilliams60
    nlwilliams60 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do people still believe this?? Come on really.... And what is heavy lifting? More than 5lbs!:ohwell:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, when you say heavy lifting what weights were you using and hoe often?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    If you find anything wrong with my comment above I can honestly say that's your own problem for being over sensitive.

I'm not saying that everything you say is completely meritless and bordering on delusional, but I'm just saying it would help me to take you more seriously if you took your top off.

With love,
    Burt

your-argument-is-invalid-meme-collection-1mut.com-24.jpg
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    How you get to sign-up for stronglift 5x5x????
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    OP: Impossible to compare the two photos. You need to have a front-on pic.

^ This. I'm not able to see much of a difference with the two photos. The pictures are of different areas too so it's hard to tell.

This comment is ridiculous.

seriously.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    This thread sure made me bulky... if you know what I'm saying :smokin:

^this

Wait, what??

ETA: Oh, and in...

...to read through all TEN pages because I heard that it went off the rails...(which is hard to believe, even for MFP, that a success story like this could go that way).
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    How you get to sign-up for stronglift 5x5x????

Go here: http://stronglifts.com/

When you enter your email you will receive the entire PDF where he explains his program.

Also, I recommend this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

It is great support from other ladies that are doing the program. They will help sort out any questions you may have for approaching the program as a woman!

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of 112 lbs!! Heavy lifting, little cardio and feeling like a boss! :happy:

All of you women rock!!!

x4hmx2.jpg

zob2td.jpg

nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Maybe I missed the point, but this thread was started so that:

A) The myth that heavy lifting for women would make them bulky is busted
    2) Was trying to get more women to post some before and "during" pics of what lifting has done for them

and

III) Was NOT designed to be a progress thread or motivational "look at me and what I lost" thread, she already posted that one so it's kinda pointless to do a repeat.

The pictures are there and if you don't like the pics, read the measurements, they tell the story as well. IF you don't like the way the OP did things, this is a public forum so you can start your own threads, I'm sure you'll get glowing reviews.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!