HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you are working towards a competition. Great progress and yes lifting Heavy destroys fat as long as you are consistent with a good diet. This is good stuff. If you were to just lift light and easy with high reps you wouldnt have seen the results as fast as you did. Great Job.

Not being mean, but you'd assume wrong. I've found most of the women on here who lift heavy (such as the OP) are not working towards a competition. And lifting light wouldn't have gotten the same results. Faster or not, in my opinion. Also, not sure what you mean by good diet but I'll assume you mean meeting your macros, and with that I'll agree.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to get in on the fun. From last September to this morning, though I only began picking heavy things up and putting them down recently. I weighed 143 then, and am up a few pounds now. Imagine where I could be if I had started sooner!

941775_10101517181777385_536020771_n.jpg
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options

So funny you mention the 3s... my gym has a 'women's only' room. I went in looking for a squat rack but was met by 3 pound dumbbells instead. And they were pink (for real). Ya think I should do 20 or 30 reps with them? Or will that bulk me up too much? LOL.

There would be so much mad going on if my gym had that. You want to give me pink weights? Fine. but they better be these:
    tumblr_m7jnhriyjt1r5i1mxo1_500.jpg

Now this I LOVE. The pink heavies- must.have. LOL.
  • FitnessRXusaAnna
    FitnessRXusaAnna Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    YES NICE WORK LADIES!!!

PICK UP THOSE WEIGHTS!!

I've stayed the same weight for a year HOWEVER my body fat percentage has gone down 10%

Get a good strong foundation and just keep building on it with the weight lifting.

You will find that you can go do those yoga classes and little cardio boot camp classes like nothing BUT can those girls who only do the cardio boot camp classes come lift those weights??

A good foundational base strength will let you do anything athletic that you wish to do in your day to day life!

#Push It
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I am LOVING these befores and durings (not calling them afters, because I know I'm sure as hell not going to stop anytime soon).

You all look amazing, and are definitely helping to dispel the myth that heavy lifting = super bulky. Keep em' coming.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    What program did you use? I am a big fan of Chalean Extreme. :) I love Chalene Johnson.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Options
    Amazing job ladies! You all are superstar!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    What program did you use? I am a big fan of Chalean Extreme. :) I love Chalene Johnson.

I'll probably get flak for this, but in my opinion Chalean Extreme is more cardio.

If you are interested in strength training/heavy lifting, you should look into Starting Strength, Wendler 5/3/1, NROLFW, and Stronglifts. Pick the program that suits you best from there.

If you lack equipment, I've heard good things about Convict Training and You Are Your Own Gym
  • janessanessa
    Options
    Actually, if you follow the CLX program schedules, you only have two cardio days each week, one of then, is lifting lighter weights at a fast pace to build endurance, and the second workout is 45 minutes of HiiT intervals....if you want CARDIO then her Turbofire/Turbojam workouts encompass that. There is NO cardio in the other 3-4 lifting workouts each week. Mind you, your heart rate does get up some, but that is secondary to doing compound muscle movements, i.e. arnold presses with squats, or bicep curls with rear stationary lunges.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    While I was a cardio junkie:
    2b5b237d-0367-4461-9e91-18411af76d2e_zpsf900285f.jpg

After I started lifting:
    forummmmm.jpg

I cannot recall seeing your earlier pics - fantastic progress - you look absolutely great.
  • janessanessa
    Options
    Love this!! Lady you rock!!!

I'm nowhere near done but fighting my way down to healthy & strong

newtooldliz.jpg

Wow, look at you! You have legs up to there!!! They're are so long. Envious of your shape.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    resizing
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mek5w7nbpL1ra4tnt_zps88547198.gif

You look incredible! The rest of us heavy lifting 'BULKY OMGZ' women salute you! :drinker:

This! I really did laugh out loud at this picture. Awesome. I'm looking forward to post my bulky gains too. You look awesome!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

I'll probably get flak for this, but in my opinion Chalean Extreme is more cardio.

If you are interested in strength training/heavy lifting, you should look into Starting Strength, Wendler 5/3/1, NROLFW, and Stronglifts. Pick the program that suits you best from there.

If you lack equipment, I've heard good things about Convict Training and You Are Your Own Gym
    Agreed.

While Chalean Extreme does incorporate strength, it is *not* a heavy lifting program. I'm not knocking it, I just want to make sure people realize it does not fall in the parameters of heavy lifting.

All the programs listed above ARE heavy lifting programs.
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    RandiLand pics are ama....you do not look like you had kids. Wow!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Actually, if you follow the CLX program schedules, you only have two cardio days each week, one of then, is lifting lighter weights at a fast pace to build endurance, and the second workout is 45 minutes of HiiT intervals....if you want CARDIO then her Turbofire/Turbojam workouts encompass that. There is NO cardio in the other 3-4 lifting workouts each week. Mind you, your heart rate does get up some, but that is secondary to doing compound muscle movements, i.e. arnold presses with squats, or bicep curls with rear stationary lunges.

Like I said, it is just my opinion. *shrugs*
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!