HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Gah, I'm late in seeing this thread.

Best thread ever. It's one giant happy place of all my favorite lady bodies.

Cheers to all of you for your amazing hard work!

tumblr_m3w55jl8HB1rw0ifto1_500.gif
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    me before i started lifting heavy- 145 pounds

fatpic.jpg
    me after lifting heavy holding my 18 month old. around 130 pounds- my profile pic is almost 2 years of heavy lifting.
    meandgigi2.jpg

Damn girl! You are looking great my friend...
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Agreed.

While Chalean Extreme does incorporate strength, it is *not* a heavy lifting program. I'm not knocking it, I just want to make sure people realize it does not fall in the parameters of heavy lifting.

All the programs listed above ARE heavy lifting programs.

I must have misunderstood then, define heavy lifting? Because I guess I consider the use 25-30 lb weights for upper arm strength etc. "heavy lifting".... i guess I must be a wuss then.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Maybe it's just me, I lost 4lbs and two pants sizes, which I was stoked about....

but DAMN... I got huge arms, shoulders, traps, and lats..... not sure how I feel about the whole thing...

I'm still going strong, but now a little concerned if I am gonna like the finished product.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    OP: Impossible to compare the two photos. You need to have a front-on pic.
  • janessanessa
    Maybe it's just me, I lost 4lbs and two pants sizes, which I was stoked about....

but DAMN... I got huge arms, shoulders, traps, and lats..... not sure how I feel about the whole thing...

I'm still going strong, but now a little concerned if I am gonna like the finished product.

tell'n ya, Chalene Extreme. Ripped me up a bit, and I didn't gain bulk. It's not I guess what most in this thread consider "heavy lifting" but it is what you make of it. Heavier weights equal bigger results.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Accidentally deleted my whole post!!

Lost my baby weight (from my 3rd child) in December. Hit the gym in January after I recovered from severe pneumonia. I weighed 125 when I started at the gym and 136 now. I lifted heavy, and ate 2300-3000 calories a day. Just tryin' to get buff :wink: I do not think I look like a dude!
    ONE YEAR! Last year vs last week
    5SQciQc.png
    Now:
    OIL9D1X.jpg
    QrfsaDP.jpg
    sb5BpcI.jpg
    f1oBIT0.jpg

Fantastic work! You look stunning. :smile:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Agreed.

While Chalean Extreme does incorporate strength, it is *not* a heavy lifting program. I'm not knocking it, I just want to make sure people realize it does not fall in the parameters of heavy lifting.

I must have misunderstood then, define heavy lifting? Because I guess I consider the use 25-30 lb weights for upper arm strength etc. "heavy lifting".... i guess I must be a wuss then.

No need to get defensive. I know some women starting off that could only squat the bar- 45lbs and are now closing in on triple digits. I use the machines at my apartments gym. Started near the end of Feb. for triceps extensions and chest presses, I started at 40lbs and am now up to 100lbs on the chest and 110lbs on the triceps. Just busting into 100lbs on the wide lat pulldown.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member

Also, i just wanted to mention I started at 40, so anyone out there can do this at any age!

I am not a fan of machines...compound lifts are your friend and give the most BANG for your buck!

Ask the trainer about this: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Images deleted to save space.

I'm 61. I've been working my way through New Rules of Lifting for Women. When I started I could barely do body weight squats and not much more. I just PRd my pulldowns at 100, deadlifts at 140 and OHP at 50.

Do it! You won't regret it!
  • janessanessa
    Agreed.

I was not getting defensive. I am not referring to machines or bars....just referring to free weights, handheld. I don't have a gym membership or access to a gym with that equipment. So I do the best I can at home. And I still consider myself a bad *kitten*.

No need to get defensive. I know some women starting off that could only squat the bar- 45lbs and are now closing in on triple digits. I use the machines at my apartments gym. Started near the end of Feb. for triceps extensions and chest presses, I started at 40lbs and am now up to 100lbs on the chest and 110lbs on the triceps. Just busting into 100lbs on the wide lat pulldown.
  • janessanessa
    I was not getting defensive. I am not referring to machines or bars....just referring to free weights, handheld. I don't have a gym membership or access to a gym with that equipment. So I do the best I can at home. And I still consider myself a bad *kitten*.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

I'm glad you're still going--lifting has benefits far beyond the aesthetic (hormone regulation, bone density, joint strengthening, etc.).

That being said: Are you *sure* you've gotten bigger? As the great Dizzle once pointed out... what LOOKS like something getting huge is often deceptive. Have you been taking measurements and photos right along with your lifting? Often, the reduction of body fat highlights the muscles underneath more, which can be jarring for many women as they feel they look "larger." Plus, depending on diet, rest, and amount of time spent on a particular program, water retention can definitely be a factor in how "huge" body parts might look.
  • PikaKnight

No one, at any point, said you weren't. I think you are taking things the wrong way
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

^ This. I'm not able to see much of a difference with the two photos. The pictures are of different areas too so it's hard to tell.

So you can't see the definition between hip/waist plus the obvious appearance of abdominal muscles in one picture? It's the same area, just a slightly different angle... which, I'm fairly certain, is due to better lighting to highlight the definition (but not bulk) of the now apparent muscles.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    bump to read later
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member

^ This. I'm not able to see much of a difference with the two photos. The pictures are of different areas too so it's hard to tell.

So you can't see the definition between hip/waist plus the obvious appearance of abdominal muscles in one picture? It's the same area, just a slightly different angle... which, I'm fairly certain, is due to better lighting to highlight the definition (but not bulk) of the now apparent muscles.
    With the exception of the lighting (it's actually better in the first picture and dimmer in the second), what she said.

I'm sorry, but even to me, my worst critic, I can see a huge difference. And the angle of the second picture actually makes me look wider than normal, so I again, I fail to see how I can't compare those two pictures.

Course, seeing as how *I* started the thread, I can compare whatever two pictures I want to.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member

OK. Even *if* you can't see much of a difference, which I have a hard time believing, the pictures still do serve the OP's purpose which was to demonstrate that lifting heavy does not make women bulky.

So... your contribution to this thread was what, exactly? I missed it.
  • PikaKnight
    I think the OP should send me naked pics so I can better compare :smokin:

QFT :P
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!