HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    I think the OP should send me naked pics so I can better compare :smokin:
    Done and done.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    I think the OP should send me naked pics so I can better compare :smokin:
    Done and done.

Cue the chorus of "me too"s
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Not sure how anyone can look at those pics and NOT see a difference, even with the different angles. Critical people are critical.
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    OP: Impossible to compare the two photos. You need to have a front-on pic.

^ This. I'm not able to see much of a difference with the two photos. The pictures are of different areas too so it's hard to tell.

So you can't see the definition between hip/waist plus the obvious appearance of abdominal muscles in one picture? It's the same area, just a slightly different angle... which, I'm fairly certain, is due to better lighting to highlight the definition (but not bulk) of the now apparent muscles.

I said in an earlier post I could definitely see a slight difference in her muscle formation. I was just giving tips on how to better display the progress to us.

Gimme a minute.. I'm looking for the part where anyone asked for your help..

still checking...

Hmm. That's strange.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    WOWWWW~~~!!!! How does one get started with a lifting program? I see things on the internet of course but have no idea how to do the exercises because they have names only, what weights are required, etc. Anyone point me in the right direction???? Do I have to buy a program or are there free workouts online? Looks like Stronglifts 5 x 5 requires a membership? 5/3/1 talks about weight lifting like I should know what they mean. :(

I haven't read all the way through to see if your question has been answered yet, so forgive me if this is a repeat!

>You don't have to pay a membership for Stronglifts 5X5, just enter your email address and you will get the PDF with all the info you need. Watch plenty of videos to make sure that you are doing correct form.
    >5/3/1 is more of an intermediate program. You need to wait on that one until you are comfortable with a beginner program for a while before moving on.
    >Beginner programs most will suggest are: Stronglifts 5X5 (free website), Starting Strength (book) and New Rules of Lifting for Women (book)

Good luck!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Not sure how anyone can look at those pics and NOT see a difference, even with the different angles. Critical people are critical.

Critical is too polite a word for it.
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member

^ This. I'm not able to see much of a difference with the two photos. The pictures are of different areas too so it's hard to tell.

So you can't see the definition between hip/waist plus the obvious appearance of abdominal muscles in one picture? It's the same area, just a slightly different angle... which, I'm fairly certain, is due to better lighting to highlight the definition (but not bulk) of the now apparent muscles.
    With the exception of the lighting (it's actually better in the first picture and dimmer in the second), what she said.

I'm sorry, but even to me, my worst critic, I can see a huge difference. And the angle of the second picture actually makes me look wider than normal, so I again, I fail to see how I can't compare those two pictures.

Course, seeing as how *I* started the thread, I can compare whatever two pictures I want to.

How can you argue that more similar pictures wouldn't give us a better idea of how your body changed? Even the simplest person knows how to work certain angles to make himself/herself look better/different. I'm not accusing you in particular of that, but it would be more honest and accurate to have more similar pics.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Amazing! I'm going to start NROL4W soon and this is so inspiring! Thanks for posting!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

I said in an earlier post I could definitely see a slight difference in her muscle formation. I was just giving tips on how to better display the progress to us.

I hope you see why people are taking issue with this sort of comment. The majority (and when I say majority, I mean... everyone but two people) have been able to see the differences between OP's pics (wow, she even WROTE measurements to be even more precise!) and other people's offerings.

You said they're of different areas. That's just incorrect--it's the same area, different angle and lighting (primarily because one is clearly a self-taken photo of a reflection).

You also said, "I don't see much difference," but then claim you said, "I noticed a slight difference in muscle formation." Really, both of these comments are very minimizing--"slight" difference is rather dismissive of her 20+, 10"+ loss in a matter of six months.

So, not to derail the fabulousness that is this thread (particularly with so many women becoming interested in lifting programs!), let's keep on topic, hm?

Ex: My current avatar was after about six months of heavy lifting. My arms and legs are hardly what I'd call bulky (though, I'd prefer more :sad: ).
  • Sarauk2sf

Also, i just wanted to mention I started at 40, so anyone out there can do this at any age!

I am not a fan of machines...compound lifts are your friend and give the most BANG for your buck!

Ask the trainer about this: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

Images deleted to save space.

I'm 61. I've been working my way through New Rules of Lifting for Women. When I started I could barely do body weight squats and not much more. I just PRd my pulldowns at 100, deadlifts at 140 and OHP at 50.

Do it! You won't regret it!

^winning!
  • Sarauk2sf
    I can see how my comment could have come across as rude. Please let me clarify. I think you have shown some progress in your muscle formation and I would love to see a side by side comparison photo.

And that is sooooo much better.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    fuggedaboutit

Lea you are excellent. Those pictures served their purpose and anyone who cannot understand that is just being silly!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

The OP certainly doesn't need me to defend her, I'm just throwing out my comments based on my own personal experience. I get that a lot of times positioning and lighting can make a big difference but in this case, I don't think its that huge of a factor- for me the front on angle is most forgiving, my stomach looks flatter. If I do a side angle like her, then you see that I am thicker and the bulge. You couldn't even middle ab line in the first pic. I see a ton of changes that can't be faked with lighting and position.

Regardless OP - to echo the masses, fantastic.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member

You're trolling right?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

With the exception of the lighting (it's actually better in the first picture and dimmer in the second), what she said.

I'm sorry, but even to me, my worst critic, I can see a huge difference. And the angle of the second picture actually makes me look wider than normal, so I again, I fail to see how I can't compare those two pictures.

Course, seeing as how *I* started the thread, I can compare whatever two pictures I want to.

How can you argue that more similar pictures wouldn't give us a better idea of how your body changed? Even the simplest person knows how to work certain angles to make himself/herself look better/different. I'm not accusing you in particular of that, but it would be more honest and accurate to have more similar pics.

Let me highlight this again. Lighting is clearly a factor in the angles--that sort of ab definition would be apparent if you view someone in that angle IRL versus flat on. The area in question is the same, just--again--slightly different angle, much better lighting.

OP also gave her before/after measurements, if that also didn't fit your "accuracy" changes.

Oh, but then... OP's thread was about highlighting lifting =/= bulkiness. Not your sense of entitlement to how a picture should or should not be posted.

OP has before/after shots of the same angle, too... but, again, one is a selfie. The one taken by someone else (or even a self-timer) looks better as a picture. Why not use that one?

You guys are acting like she took one pic in the daytime, one in pitch black. There's clearly a difference, 98% of people here have seen it, etc.

It's not dishonest to post the same area, slightly different angles, with specific measurements, in one's own thread. You're saying you're not accusing someone of anything, but then say, "It would be more honest if you posted pics the way I want you to." That's some shady shade.

Let's see this thread not get locked for hijacking, either... :grumble:
  • Sarauk2sf

1) you are totally missing the point of the OP

2) as you are missing the point of the OP and seem to think it is a comparison/success post of the OPs progress specifically, then your response was such a classy one.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Jealous women make me laugh....
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I can see how my comment could have come across as rude. Please let me clarify. I think you have shown some progress in your muscle formation and I would love to see a side by side comparison photo.

Understood. Just to note, i read this after and I quoted you but I was also quoting the person you were quoting.
  • Sarauk2sf

And that is sooooo much better.

If you find anything wrong with my comment above I can honestly say that's your own problem for being over sensitive.

You are funny.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!