Outraged!

Options

Replies

• Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    How outraged are you at plus sized shops that do not offer sizes below a 12?

^^this
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    This "issue" does not affect me in any way. I don't like their clothes and although I could wear them, I don't want to.

Bingo. And yeah he's pretty ugly. Oh, the irony :laugh:
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That is pretty funny considering how ugly the CEO of Abercrombie & Fitch is....
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    OMG, did you know that Hooters only hires girls with great bodies and huge boobs? :noway:

Yeah totally not true. Back in my bartending days I worked with some former Hooters girls, neither were bigger than a full B.

Pardon my ignorance. And good job entirely missing my point.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand who he is to judge what is or isn't beautiful. Give a guy a big paycheck and he thinks he can buy anything..... sadly no matter how he looks on the outside, the ugly on the inside will always shine through.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, i was actually shocked myself. Not that a store can't sell what they want, etc. but that he would word it the way he did. Besides, i think it's a bit hilarious that they think they define cool/uncool and that being cool or not has anything to do with someone's size. It's an interesting discussion topic for sure (no offense to those that did post but i have to say i'm always amazed that some people act like you shouldn't have posted it because "why do you care, don't buy the clothes"....that goes without saying to me, but i think it's totally valid to post a discussion topic like this in the message board of a site like MFP, just for the record lol).

Anyhoo, i totally agree with those who say take a look at the guy - obviously he wanted to be a cool kid and clothes were the only way he could "look" as if it had happened ;-)
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    We already talked about this yesterday.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand who he is to judge what is or isn't beautiful. Give a guy a big paycheck and he thinks he can buy anything..... sadly no matter how he looks on the outside, the ugly on the inside will always shine through.

I didn't know ugly shines..
    Hi *insert name here* you're brightly shining ugly today.. *puts on ..:glasses:* :tongue:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    who cares? its a private company, they can make their own decisions. this didnt affect you before today, why are you letting it affect you now?

This. Don't like it? Don't shop there. Move on.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    This is not a new stance for the company. This has been his take since 2006.

"A lot of people don't belong [in our clothes], and they can't belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely." That's a 2006 interview with Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries, justifying why his company's boring clothing doesn't have sizes XL or XXL for women, or pants sizes beyond 10. (The company only stocks XL and XXL in dude's sizes to appeal to football players and wrestlers, according to speculation.) That attitude may cost the company soon: A sizable 67 percent of the apparel-purchasing population fit the "plus-size" label. As other brands like H&M begin using plus-size models in its campaigns and new lines, Abercrombie could be left back in 2008, when it was reportedly last relevant.

I can now fit in size 10's but the style of A&F is not for me. I've got plenty of other places to shop that suit my style and spend my dollars wherever I want.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Years ago there was a store called the 5-7-9 Shop. They sold nothing above a 9. I never thought it was unfair except for the fact that I was too fat to shop there. :happy:

LOL My daughter shopped there while I would be in Lane Bryant.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Not the first thread about this.

Your outrage is exactly what he wants - he doesn't want your custom nor you in his store if you're the sort to be outraged by this.
    I just don't understand who he is to judge what is or isn't beautiful.
    He is a manager/owner/whatever in a big company. That lets him decide for his company. It doesn't effect other people not involved with that company unless they want it to.

Oh, and when I first saw the name I thought it was a legal firm in some film involving Hugh Grant!
    (Am a Brit, dunno if we have them here, but I stay off the high-street anyway, because it's generally populated by the type of people that shop at stores such as this - see, I'm just as judgemental ;)).
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Hi *insert name here* you're brightly shining ugly today.. *puts on ..:glasses:* :tongue:

you learn something new every day :P Maybe it oozes? creeps? osmotes through his skin? Is that a word? :P I think it is but I could have made it up!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

you learn something new every day :P Maybe it oozes? creeps? osmotes through his skin? Is that a word? :P I think it is but I could have made it up!

lol
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You know, Lane Bryant really only hires plus-sized women to sell their clothes, and don't sell clothing smaller than a size 14. Is that an outrage? They don't really want to sell things to smaller sized people, and only market to larger people.

Same thing if you ask me. Now, is the CEO guy kind of a pretentious *kitten* with his words? Sure, but he's not doing anything different than most other stores.

While I agree with your point, Lane Bryant will hire anyone who is qualified. You might see more plus-sized working there just because they SHOP there so it's in their mind to hire there. But I've been in Lane Bryant's with non-plus size employees.
  • senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lol I don't see why it's anyone's problem. If he wants his business to cater to only thin people, then there's simply nothing you can do about it. Shop somewhere else. It's like shops like Evans and co that only sell clothes to bigger sized people. I don't see anyone complaining about them.
  • panano
    panano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's just the same as having to have big boobs to work at hooters, or needing to be skinny to be a vs model - it's all about image. They don't sell clothes for people over size 10 because they don't want other people to see "fat" people in their clothes, and associate their company with fat people. I never shopped there, even when I was skinny...their stores smell horrible, and their clothes are tacky and outdated. When I get back to where I want to be, I won't be giving them my business either. The CEO isn't just ugly on the outside but on the inside as well. I'm not insulted...it's just business.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I base my purchasing decisions on the product or service being offered. Not the "feelings" or "opinions" of those that offer them.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Look at this crap everyone.

Abercrombie and Fitch has decided that anyone over a size 10 jean isn’t sexy enough for their clothing line, and doesn’t want them shopping in their stores and sullying their clothes. They decided to only hire good looking people so that only good looking people will come into their store.

“It’s almost everything. That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that,”

That is an actual quote from their CEO Mike Jeffries.

That was when I first noticed there was a problem with my weight...when all the girls at school could wear abercrombie and fitch and I could not because my thighs were to big. Its like a little jab with a knife each time you walk into a store and realize they dont have your size