Most ridiculous serving size?

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    when hard food is measured in ml/cups like butter or icecream and so on! drives me mad! and then on the packet its in grams
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    I was trying to buy some nuts. Every bag I picjked up was 3 servings. WTF? How can you open an already small bag, and just eat 1/3 of it. It's just ridiculous.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to log 1/3 of this 2oz bag of Planters Peanuts I ate after breakfast!
  • Popcorn and rice. Oh and noodles. It's the whole dry vs. cooked debacle. By the time I think I've figured out how much I can eat, I give up and throw the box back in the pantry. Not worth it.

This would be my pet peeve... and plea to pasta makers. Give me a straight forward dry measured serving size please.
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    I have a bag of croutons in the cabinet... serving size 2 tablespoons. How are you supposed to measure that when most of the croutons won't even fit properly in an actual tablespoon? Why not just say "serving size about 2 croutons"? On top of that -- while it's obviously healthier to go with none anyway -- what kind of salad that includes croutons only uses two of them?

OMGSH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Annie Chun's Noodle Bowls. A serving used to be half a bowl. They're microwave bowls that you bring to work, more or less. One cannot simply reseal the bowl! But they've changed it now, so a bowl is a whole serving. That was just stupid.

Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate muffins. Who eats half a muffin? You can't even cut it with that stupid muffin wrapper on.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Pickles are the best. On some pickle jars the calories are 5 or 10 per spear. Some decide that its not a significant number and say there are 0 calories in the pickle. So you can eat 10,000 of them and never gain an ounce!

tumblr_m77ir4j0YE1ro3tc0.jpg
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Looking at a box of cookies last night, one servicing size was 7 1/2 cookies...little, itty, bitty cookies (think animal cracker size). Who would just eat 1/2 a cookie.

Cereal is the one I can't do. I was one of those growing up that would use an old butter tub for a cereal bowl. 1 little cup as a serving size...can't do it.

I love me some Lucky Charms. No matter my bowl size, big or small, I ALWAYS have to have a second bowl. Always!
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    The cream cookies .. oreos, snack well's, whichever .. serving size 3 cookies = 100+ cals
    I can never stop at 3 cookies .. especially when milk in involved.
    Three cookies? That's just a warmup, huh?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Looking at a box of cookies last night, one servicing size was 7 1/2 cookies...little, itty, bitty cookies (think animal cracker size). Who would just eat 1/2 a cookie.

Cereal is the one I can't do. I was one of those growing up that would use an old butter tub for a cereal bowl. 1 little cup as a serving size...can't do it.

YUP Cereal is a *kitten*! One cup! ONE! One freakin cup is supposed to do the trick?! NO! I REFUSE! Must..have..two..or..more..

Except those ones that have a serving size of 3/4 cup. WHAT!?! Thinking "I'm doing good, measured my cereal, only had one cup" and the find the serving size is 3/4 cup.

So I usually eat 2 servings anyway, and just log it.
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    The silliest one I've ever seen was on a chocolate easter bunny. It said: serving size - 1/4 of the bunny. Servings - 6.
    My brain needed a reboot after that.
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    I have a bag of croutons in the cabinet... serving size 2 tablespoons. How are you supposed to measure that when most of the croutons won't even fit properly in an actual tablespoon? Why not just say "serving size about 2 croutons"? On top of that -- while it's obviously healthier to go with none anyway -- what kind of salad that includes croutons only uses two of them?

This is toooooo funny because I think the samething. I have actually gone out of my way to find a brand with a normal serving size and it is FRESH GORMET. They use cup size
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Ritz crackers=5 crackers
    Cracker Cuts (cheese)= 3 slices
    If I divide each cheese slice in half, I have 1/6 left over

Its like hot dogs and hot dog buns :sad:
    Yeah, eight buns, ten dogs, go figure!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I went to Jillian Michael's show and she was talking about the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray and how the serving size is 1.25 sprays. She went into this funny demonstration about trying to only do a quarter of a squirt. The point was that the nutrition facts say it has zero calories for 1 serving, but the whole bottle actually has 1200 calories.
  • Silvervixen79
    Silvervixen79 Posts: 116 Member
    Companies do it to purposely mislead you, hoping that you will be happy with the number of calories given without looking at what the actual serving size is... I mean when you buy a drink, youd assume you want to drink the whole thing, not save half for later!!
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    2 tbsp of peanut butter. Significantly less than you think if you're using actual tablespoons too (try weighing it!!). GTFO... gimme the jar and a spoon.

A million times this!
  • Rhayahana
    Rhayahana Posts: 57 Member
    Worst thing I came across were vegetarian meatballs. I figured 38 Kcal for a serving was ok.
    Wasn't until I got home and looked at the back that I noticed 1 serving was 1 meatball. And the packet has 12 of the suckers. And you can't store it for more than a day or two once it's opened.
    Like, wtf?
    And who only eats 1 meatball anyway?
  • Koholint
    Koholint Posts: 104 Member
    Not the most ridiculous, but annoying: those frozen veggies that steam in the bag. Why does it say 3.5 servings when clearly there's only enough broccoli for two people? Veggies should take up a good portion of the plate but really, it's not like I'm stacking it a mile high, either.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Popcorn and rice. Oh and noodles. It's the whole dry vs. cooked debacle. By the time I think I've figured out how much I can eat, I give up and throw the box back in the pantry. Not worth it.

^^^THIS^^^ It drives me insane.
  • cpuag01
    cpuag01 Posts: 6
    I hate cans on vegetables/beans/etc with "about 2.5" servings. I do carb counting and I know I am going to eat a whole can of CiCi Beans (garbanzos), so here I am in the store with the cans flipped around trying to do decimal math in my head. I eventually just give up and don't buy beans.

that and juice/soda that is 2.75 servings per bottle. -_-

Or some of the frozen vegetarian meats that have a serving size of so many ounces - sometimes there is a bunch of ice crusted up on that thing so I have to cook it to know how much is a serving, but then if I cook too much I'll just eat what I cooked anyway.

I'm sorry, but what are "vegetarian meats"? I believe that is what is called an oxymoron.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    i dont see why everything isnt just measured pre cooked in grams!!
    oh also tinned fruit
    1/2 tin of drained fruit is so and so calories
    WHAT ABOUT THE JUICE?! not having any wastage