Eating pizza, pop tarts, & ice cream while losing weight

Options

Replies

• mcjack75
    mcjack75 Posts: 1
    Options
    I would caution against processed foods. While you will lose weight if your caloric use exceeds your intake, the quality of your long term health will not improve. Ice cream and pop tarts everyday will not teach your body to burn fuel as efficiently as whole unprocessed foods. Additionally, consistently consuming foods like pop tarts and ice cream increase insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes

That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy a sweet treat every now and then, but replacing your guilty pleasures with something a bit less guilty will help you long term. My former addiction? Mint chocolate chip ice cream every night religiously. I've replaced that with Greek yogurt (that comes in every flavor. Weekday breakfast? Irish oatmeal with a cup of raspberries.

I wasn't easy, but after some youtube videos and encouragement from some friends, I scaled back my relationship with processed food. I actually started seeing results, my energy levels went up, and I actually ate less. Once in a blue moon, I splurge and eat something totally indulgent. The previous commenters were correct, food shaming is out; however, I would strongly encourage you to be aware of the long term effects of pop tarts and ice cream every day. best wishes
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How did you people who eat so perfectly all the time end up here in the first place? Just wondering.

if you want to know, I came looking for ways to stop binging. And I was able to uncover a solution. I have not binged in about 4 months. And before you go there, my binges were sometimes on vegetables or fruit, sometimes peanut butter and potato chips, what ever was within arms reach really.

you need to lose 40lbs. in 4 months you've lost 5lbs. yet you say you came here solely to prevent binging.

seems legit.

maybe, just maybe, the reason you're binging is because of your overly restrictive diet.
    See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me. And about my pounds lost, I have lost in inches, but not much in pounds.

Just because you have trigger foods, does not mean everyone does. Stop projecting.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I would caution against processed foods. While you will lose weight if your caloric use exceeds your intake, the quality of your long term health will not improve. Ice cream and pop tarts everyday will not teach your body to burn fuel as efficiently as whole unprocessed foods. Additionally, consistently consuming foods like pop tarts and ice cream increase insulin resistance, a precursor to diabetes

That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy a sweet treat every now and then, but replacing your guilty pleasures with something a bit less guilty will help you long term. My former addiction? Mint chocolate chip ice cream every night religiously. I've replaced that with Greek yogurt (that comes in every flavor. Weekday breakfast? Irish oatmeal with a cup of raspberries.

I wasn't easy, but after some youtube videos and encouragement from some friends, I scaled back my relationship with processed food. I actually started seeing results, my energy levels went up, and I actually ate less. Once in a blue moon, I splurge and eat something totally indulgent. The previous commenters were correct, food shaming is out; however, I would strongly encourage you to be aware of the long term effects of pop tarts and ice cream every day. best wishes

Got anything to back that up?
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    How did you people who eat so perfectly all the time end up here in the first place? Just wondering.

if you want to know, I came looking for ways to stop binging. And I was able to uncover a solution. I have not binged in about 4 months. And before you go there, my binges were sometimes on vegetables or fruit, sometimes peanut butter and potato chips, what ever was within arms reach really.

you need to lose 40lbs. in 4 months you've lost 5lbs. yet you say you came here solely to prevent binging.

seems legit.

maybe, just maybe, the reason you're binging is because of your overly restrictive diet.
    See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me.

^ totally agree with this woman. yeah pizzza/ice cream/candy might fit in your macros or calories but it just makes me feel bloated, fat, and disgusting! which leads to binge eating. go ahead and eat those pop tarts for dinner though! in my game, its nutrients over calories i could care less about the caloric value of pop tarts, at the end of the day they arent nutritional, its like putting sugar water in a car to make it run. optimum health means optimum food, and processed crap wont cut it for me!
  • Chyll88
    Chyll88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love you!!!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

seems legit.

I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me.

Good for you. And guess what... it's what the OP does too. Shocking.
    I didnt criticize anyone. show me where I did please.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Love this post because I feel the same way. In fact, I was reading it while I was eating some doritos. I refuse to deprive myself of foods because I will only want them more. Everything in moderation...I have been steadily losing as well :) Good for you!

I go for fritos, but only because I consider them a whole food.

You mean, whole bag food, right? Because when you eat them, you *have to* eat the whole bag, right?

AMIRITE?

Oh, and in...

...to read accounts of people (many of whom are far from goal) telling people (many of whom are at or near goal) what foods they should and shouldn't eat...for, you know, health...and stuff.
  • princessveggiecake
    Options
    When I try to explain this to people, they look at me like I'm retarded.

I just say "ok, go eat your cardboard" lol

Thanks for sharing :)
  • luziferl
    luziferl Posts: 82
    Options
    Maybe this works for you (although I don't know how), but I don't think that should be recommended to any one trying to lose or even maintain their weight. Sure you shouldn't give up the foods you love, but eat them in moderation. Eating ice cream everyday is not moderation and is ridiculous, for anyone actually even someone not trying to lose weight.

Other people have significantly better success than I have, but this is what McDonald's and ice cream can do to your body:

comparison.jpg
    :huh: well didnt to mine... i certainly will go to mcdonalds 2morrow :D
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is to become healthy. So why eat like a slob?

How am I eating like a slob?

Diary from yesterday:

Kirkland Signature (Costco) - Premium Performance Multi 31 Vitamins & Minerals, 1 tablet
    Nature's Bounty - Fish Oil 1400 Mg/980 Mg Omega-3, 1 Softgel
    Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Isolate - Vanilla Creme, 2 scoop (35g)

Lunch
    Kirkland Signature - Almonds, Dry Roasted and Salted, 28 g (1/4 cup)
    Barilla Plus Multigrain Pasta - Farfalle (Bowtie) Noodles, 1 oz
    Generic - Broccoli, 3 oz.
    Cauliflower - Raw Floweret, 3 ounce
    Coca-Cola - Cherry Coke Zero 12oz Can, 12 oz
    Bybee Organic Mixed Vegetables With Shelled Edemame (Costco) - Organic, Frozen Corn, Carrots, Green Beans, & Edamame, 2 cup (100g)
    Lawry's Marinade - Lemon Pepper, 1 tbs
    Kirkland Chicken Breast - Boneless skinless chicken breast, 8 oz
    Knudsen - Cottage Cheese - Lowfat Small Curd, 1/2 cup

Dinner
    Coca-Cola - Cherry Coke Zero 12oz Can, 12 oz
    Red Brick Pizza - Pizza Bufalo, 1 small pizza
    Gold Coast - Salad Spinach (Premium Select), 200 g
    Kirkland Chicken Breast - Boneless skinless chicken breast, 7 oz

Upper Crust Bakery - Mini Cinnamon Rolls, 2 rolls (37 g)
    Kellogg's - Pop-Tart - Frosted Red Velvet, 2 pastry
    General Mills Cheerios Plain - Plain Cherrios, 56 g
    Milk Walmart Great Value - 1% Milk, 0.75 cup (240ML)
    General Mills Cereal - Fiber One 80 Calories Honey Squares, 2 1/4 cup (30g)
    Edys - Slow Churned Mint Cookie, 2 cup 63g

Um. Where's the fruit? Blueberries are a nutritional bonanza, by the way. Proves my point---ever wonder why the fresh fruit rots away in the frig when there are lots of Christmas cookies, etc. around at the holidays? And Cheerios! Really? You'd be much better off with a serving of steel-cut oats (they are very good, you might like them)--they are a source of beta glucans--good for the immune system. The oat flour in Cheerios is so heavily processed that the beta glucans have been removed with the bran. If not steel-cut oats, then at least oat bran is a better source of nutrition (but most oat bran products are heavily laced with sugar and salt). I could help more, but I fear that I would be wasting my time.

Paleo eaters are pretty much screwed then!

Maybe, but only the crazy ones. But beta glucans are present in a lot of things and certainly not something to worry about. Heck, in our friend's poptart diet I see at least 3-4 sources above. Looks like a nice day. Brocoli, spinach and even the cinammon rolls are sources. I don't eat steel-cut oats because I don't go out of my way to look for fad foods, nor do I like the taste of Cheerios but I wouldn't knock either.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

Got anything to back that up?
    She said YouTube videos. Sounds legit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

seems legit.

See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me.

^ totally agree with this woman. yeah pizzza/ice cream/candy might fit in your macros or calories but it just makes me feel bloated, fat, and disgusting! which leads to binge eating. go ahead and eat those pop tarts for dinner though! in my game, its nutrients over calories i could care less about the caloric value of pop tarts, at the end of the day they arent nutritional, its like putting sugar water in a car to make it run. optimum health means optimum food, and processed crap wont cut it for me!

It may make you feel disgusting, but it is very good fuel for *my* workouts and never leads me to binge. I get my nutrition from the rest of my diet.

Your analogy it silly by the way. Food is food. Sugar water is not gas.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

seems legit.

so it's the foods fault that you ate it, therefore the food is bad???

how about your spoons, bowls, forks, and plates? do you blame them too??

IIFYM works for everybody. in fact, it is the underlying principle of EVERY successful and healthy diet. unless you do nothing but drink water for 40 days or get liposuction, if you're losing weight and not getting malnourished in the process, then you are following IIFYM even if you don't know.

clean, paleo, low carb, etc. are all "wrappers" that obscure the true cause of weight loss by adding a layer of complexity that includes all sorts of rules about what you can and cannot eat.

it's your preaching of those rules that causes this pushback. if you were to step back and understand that you really are following IIFYM and your food restrictions are a choice you've made, but not a necessity, i think you'd have a much healthier understanding of the whole process and a much better chance of avoiding binging or other problems down the road.

food restrictions which are based on nothing more than the idea that certain foods are good or bad, lead to shame and guilt when you fail to fully adhere to those high standards, which in turn can lead to real eating disorders.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    MY FOOD IS BETTER THAN YOUR FOOD

tumblr_lu9w75iuwu1qii6tmo1_250.gif

oh no you di'int!

tumblr_inline_mfm89rBPth1rb1tgv.gif

tumblr_m99s2xtKbo1rsw1yf.gif
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    To each is own......I see nothing wrong with having a treat ....,and also see no reason to comment rudely to people on here , if you don't agree with him, just say I disagree ....no need to be rude...but again, different strokes for different folks... Do whatever works for you!!!!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

seems legit.

See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me. And about my pounds lost, I have lost in inches, but not much in pounds.

Just because you have trigger foods, does not mean everyone does. Stop projecting.
    SOOOOOO answering a question is projecting? I did not say anything about ANYONE else. I am telling what goes on with ME. Get over it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

seems legit.

That's funny, it doesn't make me feel bloated nor fat (well, not fatter than I already am). Of course I don't eat the whole pizza either.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I'll stick to my bacon cheeseburgers. Pop tarts and ice cream are gross.
    Don't know why this cracked me up, but it did :laugh: I'll agree, poptarts are gross, but ice cream....ohhh ice cream, it's my weakness lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

seems legit.

SOOOOOO answering a question is projecting? I did not say anything about ANYONE else. I am telling what goes on with ME. Get over it.

I do not think you get the concept of projecting.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    DAMN YOU AND YOUR POPTARTS. The red #40 gives me migraines and I can't take any medication for them for like another 6 months. Oh I am going to eat so many poptarts when I have my pills back

I get migraines but I don't eat poptarts. I read that avocado and bananas cause them due to tyramine. I love avocados!