Eating pizza, pop tarts, & ice cream while losing weight

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    How did you people who eat so perfectly all the time end up here in the first place? Just wondering.

if you want to know, I came looking for ways to stop binging. And I was able to uncover a solution. I have not binged in about 4 months. And before you go there, my binges were sometimes on vegetables or fruit, sometimes peanut butter and potato chips, what ever was within arms reach really.

So...you're saying overeating "healthy" food wasn't so healthy.. But eating "junk" in moderation ISN'T healthy? Just trying to understand here...
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    BRAVA! BRAVA! :flowerforyou: Thank you so much for making this point. Once you cleanse your palate of all the junk, real food becomes wonderful and totally satisfying.

I find both junk and real food delicious. Your point?

Not everyone does. If you LIKE it, then that is YOUR business, if you DON'T then that is also YOUR business. The trouble is, on both sides of this issue there are the same two groups, one can live and let live, the other cannot. Which one are you? I can tell where OP stands, clearly op cannot live and let live, that goes for plenty of others around here. Just eat what you want and leave everyone else alone if they don't follow your dietary plan, and they should extend you the same courtesy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is to become healthy. So why eat like a slob?

How am I eating like a slob?

Diary from yesterday:

Kirkland Signature (Costco) - Premium Performance Multi 31 Vitamins & Minerals, 1 tablet
    Nature's Bounty - Fish Oil 1400 Mg/980 Mg Omega-3, 1 Softgel
    Body Fortress - Super Advanced Whey Isolate - Vanilla Creme, 2 scoop (35g)

Lunch
    Kirkland Signature - Almonds, Dry Roasted and Salted, 28 g (1/4 cup)
    Barilla Plus Multigrain Pasta - Farfalle (Bowtie) Noodles, 1 oz
    Generic - Broccoli, 3 oz.
    Cauliflower - Raw Floweret, 3 ounce
    Coca-Cola - Cherry Coke Zero 12oz Can, 12 oz
    Bybee Organic Mixed Vegetables With Shelled Edemame (Costco) - Organic, Frozen Corn, Carrots, Green Beans, & Edamame, 2 cup (100g)
    Lawry's Marinade - Lemon Pepper, 1 tbs
    Kirkland Chicken Breast - Boneless skinless chicken breast, 8 oz
    Knudsen - Cottage Cheese - Lowfat Small Curd, 1/2 cup

Dinner
    Red Brick Pizza - Pizza Bufalo, 1 small pizza
    Gold Coast - Salad Spinach (Premium Select), 200 g
    Kirkland Chicken Breast - Boneless skinless chicken breast, 7 oz

Upper Crust Bakery - Mini Cinnamon Rolls, 2 rolls (37 g)
    Kellogg's - Pop-Tart - Frosted Red Velvet, 2 pastry
    General Mills Cheerios Plain - Plain Cherrios, 56 g
    Milk Walmart Great Value - 1% Milk, 0.75 cup (240ML)
    General Mills Cereal - Fiber One 80 Calories Honey Squares, 2 1/4 cup (30g)
    Edys - Slow Churned Mint Cookie, 2 cup 63g

Um. Where's the fruit? Blueberries are a nutritional bonanza, by the way. Proves my point---ever wonder why the fresh fruit rots away in the frig when there are lots of Christmas cookies, etc. around at the holidays? And Cheerios! Really? You'd be much better off with a serving of steel-cut oats (they are very good, you might like them)--they are a source of beta glucans--good for the immune system. The oat flour in Cheerios is so heavily processed that the beta glucans have been removed with the bran. If not steel-cut oats, then at least oat bran is a better source of nutrition (but most oat bran products are heavily laced with sugar and salt). I could help more, but I fear that I would be wasting my time.

Paleo eaters are pretty much screwed then!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I love this thread and the original post. Eat in moderation and if you can fit certain so-called "bad" food into your macros, then do it. I'm not a big fan of pop tarts, but hey I know not everyone likes the same things I do.

Diary from yesterday:

Kirkland Signature (Costco) - Premium Performance Multi 31 Vitamins & Minerals, 1 tablet

Lunch
    Bybee Organic Mixed Vegetables With Shelled Edemame (Costco) - Organic, Frozen Corn, Carrots, Green Beans, & Edamame, 2 cup (100g)

Dinner

Um. Where's the fruit? Blueberries are a nutritional bonanza, by the way. Proves my point---ever wonder why the fresh fruit rots away in the frig when there are lots of Christmas cookies, etc. around at the holidays? And Cheerios! Really? You'd be much better off with a serving of steel-cut oats (they are very good, you might like them)--they are a source of beta glucans--good for the immune system. The oat flour in Cheerios is so heavily processed that the beta glucans have been removed with the bran. If not steel-cut oats, then at least oat bran is a better source of nutrition (but most oat bran products are heavily laced with sugar and salt). I could help more, but I fear that I would be wasting my time.

I knew as soon as the original poster posted his intake for that particular day someone would nitpick his intake. I'm glad my latent psychic powers were right. :drinker:

Hey--I've posted my foods for a day and actually been criticized for NOT including junk. But that's okay--I expected someone to critique it if I posted it (I was asked to by the same people who criticized my lack of junk food).
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

HAHAHA I wish I had a Thumbs Up button for that one..
    I too believe in not deprieving myself but watching my portions. I'd much rather steadily lose than deprieve myself and end up binging and jumping off the wagon. IF you chose to eat clean and unprocessed foods great for you but this site was intended to be a motivational site and not one to knock someone down. There are plenty of people out there that continue to lose or have lost by eating which you call dirty foods or processed foods. Obviously clean eating isn't the only way to eat and lose.

In the three years since I stopped eating sugary foods, I have not binged once. I make two exceptions to the no-sweets rule. I eat three shortbread cookies on Christmas day and I eat a tiny piece of cake on my birthday. I space them out over the course of the day because I find them sickeningly sweet if eaten all at once. Moderation is NOT eating trash and then spending hours working out to compensate for the wasted calories.

This made me a little sad, actually. :cry: I think I'm gonna have some cookies and milk (full fat even) on your behalf.

Agreed. That's one of the saddest things I've ever read.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    <
    increased weights today in my training AND ate pizza for lunch.

I am having a big salad for dinner. Nom nom nom.
    your right,
    IT IS DOABLE AND DELICIOUS.
    add whiskey and it is even better.

Lose the pop tarts and I'm in!! Well, unless they are the cinnamon brown sugar ones...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    BRAVA! BRAVA! :flowerforyou: Thank you so much for making this point. Once you cleanse your palate of all the junk, real food becomes wonderful and totally satisfying.

Not everyone does. If you LIKE it, then that is YOUR business, if you DON'T then that is also YOUR business. The trouble is, on both sides of this issue there are the same two groups, one can live and let live, the other cannot. Which one are you? I can tell where OP stands, clearly op cannot live and let live, that goes for plenty of others around here. Just eat what you want and leave everyone else alone if they don't follow your dietary plan, and they should extend you the same courtesy.

Ironic post considering the thread.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    How did you people who eat so perfectly all the time end up here in the first place? Just wondering.

if you want to know, I came looking for ways to stop binging. And I was able to uncover a solution. I have not binged in about 4 months. And before you go there, my binges were sometimes on vegetables or fruit, sometimes peanut butter and potato chips, what ever was within arms reach really.

you need to lose 40lbs. in 4 months you've lost 5lbs. yet you say you came here solely to prevent binging.

seems legit.

maybe, just maybe, the reason you're binging is because of your overly restrictive diet.
    Not trying to pick on anyone but this is seen in some studies and seen all the time on these boards.

"All-or-Nothing Dieting & Eating Disorder Risk

In 1997, a general physician named Steven Bratman coined the term orthorexia nervosa [21], which he defines as, “an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food.” It reminds me of the counterproductive dietary perfectionism I’ve seen among many athletes, trainers, and coaches. One of the fundamental pitfalls of dichotomizing foods as good or bad, or clean or dirty, is that it can form a destructive relationship with food. This isn’t just an empty claim; it’s been seen in research. Smith and colleagues found that flexible dieting was associated with the absence of overeating, lower bodyweight, and the absence of depression and anxiety [22]. They also found that a strict all-or-nothing approach to dieting was associated with overeating and increased bodyweight. Similarly, Stewart and colleagues found that rigid dieting was associated with symptoms of an eating disorder, mood disturbances, and anxiety [23]. Flexible dieting was not highly correlated with these qualities. Although these are observational study designs with self-reported data, anyone who spends enough time among fitness buffs knows that these findings are not off the mark." http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

you need to lose 40lbs. in 4 months you've lost 5lbs. yet you say you came here solely to prevent binging.

seems legit.

maybe, just maybe, the reason you're binging is because of your overly restrictive diet.

This.

But I never binged on veggies. So I don't 'get' it. I LOVE food and was eating way too much of it. Now I have 100 calories of junk most days... so what. I used to have 3000 calories of them. I would say it's a big improvement. I don't care for fried food at all anymore, but I'll always love chocolate, ice cream and cheese and I don't see the point of totally quitting when I can still get healthy if I eat them.

It's about having a new lifestyle that we can sustain. Of course if you don't like junk in the first place, it will be easier for you not to eat them, and you won't get it... so I'm probably just wasting my time, lol.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Diary from yesterday:

Lunch

Dinner

No---they are doing what they feel is right for their body. Mushrooms are an alternate source of beta glucans for those who choose not to eat grain (and I don't eat a lot myself--just a couple of servings of oats and/or rice per week). I think Paleo people eat mushrooms, if I remember correctly.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

it should be noted for the record that the title of this thread is "Eating pizza, pop tarts, & ice cream while losing weight" and yet you couldn't resist coming in here to state your opinions simply because the OP doesn't follow your dietary plan.

mind. blown.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    MY FOOD IS BETTER THAN YOUR FOOD

tumblr_lu9w75iuwu1qii6tmo1_250.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Diary from yesterday:

Lunch

Dinner

No---they are doing what they feel is right for their body. Mushrooms are an alternate source of beta glucans for those who choose not to eat grain (and I don't eat a lot myself--just a couple of servings of oats and/or rice per week). I think Paleo people eat mushrooms, if I remember correctly.

So, paleo eaters need to eat mushrooms otherwise there diet is unhealthy? I would also imagine that they need to eat them in pretty large amounts. Got it!

Also, you are *****ing about the OPs diary not having much unprocessed grains - but you just admitted to not having much yourself. ???????

ETA: the OP is obviously doing things that he feels is right for his body...your biases are showing.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Ironic post considering the thread.

This is the girl I follow around the forum cuz she has ice cream in her ticker. I could not live without ice cream.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

seems legit.

See? You know nothing about the diet I USED to follow. You know, the one that allowed a certain amount of so called treats. It was THAT which led me to binging. Have a candy bar! after all IIFYM. But then I could NOT stop eating. JUNK was triggering me to binge. My hunger has normalized, and now I can eat and not stuff myself endlessly. So, again, IF this "IIFYM" thing works for you, great! But it is not the solution for everyone. I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me. And about my pounds lost, I have lost in inches, but not much in pounds.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

fine...live and let live and leave the topic...why bother coming in here with all of your negative...go start a thread about how YOU like to eat.

practice what you preach.

you spend a LOT of time criticizing people from what I have seen of you.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    MY FOOD IS BETTER THAN YOUR FOOD

tumblr_lu9w75iuwu1qii6tmo1_250.gif

oh no you di'int!

tumblr_inline_mfm89rBPth1rb1tgv.gif
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

seems legit.

Not trying to pick on anyone but this is seen in some studies and seen all the time on these boards.

"All-or-Nothing Dieting & Eating Disorder Risk

In 1997, a general physician named Steven Bratman coined the term orthorexia nervosa [21], which he defines as, “an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food.” It reminds me of the counterproductive dietary perfectionism I’ve seen among many athletes, trainers, and coaches. One of the fundamental pitfalls of dichotomizing foods as good or bad, or clean or dirty, is that it can form a destructive relationship with food. This isn’t just an empty claim; it’s been seen in research. Smith and colleagues found that flexible dieting was associated with the absence of overeating, lower bodyweight, and the absence of depression and anxiety [22]. They also found that a strict all-or-nothing approach to dieting was associated with overeating and increased bodyweight. Similarly, Stewart and colleagues found that rigid dieting was associated with symptoms of an eating disorder, mood disturbances, and anxiety [23]. Flexible dieting was not highly correlated with these qualities. Although these are observational study designs with self-reported data, anyone who spends enough time among fitness buffs knows that these findings are not off the mark." http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

^^^^This is total B.S.^^^^ An invention of those who are angry at others who prefer to nourish their bodies properly. :tongue: Fake psychology (by an M.D. no less) is so annoying.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

seems legit.

I like feeling good, not like a hungry, bloated, sluggish beached whale. Therefore I eat what makes me feel good and what tastes good to me.

Good for you. And guess what... it's what the OP does too. Shocking.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have managed to loose 23 pounds since January. I eat out on the weekends with my family, and we have desert and I also have the weekend coffee at ...Starbucks. The change has been that I dont sit there***SIT THERE*** and eat junk ALL day or ALL weekend long. I make sure to go hiking ( butn alot of calories ) every weekend morning bcus I know I will be eating alot of calories those days. I dont want to be a slave to my weight loss, but I also dont want to be the lazy fat bum either. I have found a good balance. Where I can still eat things I love, ( just in moderation or not too often) and I make sure to be active. Remember, even if you walk at eh mallf or a few hours while you shop is better than sitting ont he couch eating!!!

but then again, every BODY is different. You just have to figure your body out.

( I must also mention, now instead of Starbucks venti cup more than a few times a week...I have a grande size, non fat milk and no whip...and thats occassionaly, not more often thatn the weekend. So you still have the stuff you love but moderation and try to make it a bit healthier if possible)