Some of you are just plain RUDE

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    On the positive side...I think this is the first "Why are people so mean" thread I've seen all week.

Wait, is that even possible?

I know right....I was a little worried that people were getting a little too lovey dovey around here...
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    All forums you find online are going to have their share of people who come off as rude. This may not be their intentions and yet for some it may be. Online it's impossible to understand the tone and manner of the person. Just how it is.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    YES
    4'11 girl: Is it ok if I eat 1,200 calories a day?
    People: NO UR GONNA STARVE UR GONNA SHRIVEL UP AND DIE EVERYONE NEEDS WAY MORE THAN 1,200 CALORIES UR GONNA STARVE AND DIE LOLZ UR DUMB EAT A SANDWICH

Citation?
    I usually see people helping that girl calculate her TDEE.
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! People have different circumstances that affect their actions. Don't judge and I thought we were here to "give support?"

I must be wrong.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    LOLZ UR DUMB EAT A SANDWICH

I think you may have meant to say "sammich"
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mml638rQzh1rzxujso1_r1_500.gif
    tumblr_mml638rQzh1rzxujso2_500.gif
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    OH, COME ON!

tumblr_lbq4gjDB921qe0eclo1_r8_500.gif
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    OMG I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU 150%!!!!!! PEOPLE ARE RUDE AND ALOT OF US DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT ALL OF THESE FANCY TERMS MEANS AND HOW MANY CALORIES WE SHOULD BE USING! I HAD TO DELETE A LADY WHO WAS VERY RUDE TO ME BECAUSE SHE COULDNT UNDERSTAND WHY I WAS VENTING. I DONT LIKE IGNORANCE
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Rude people don't care that they're being rude so you're really wasting your breath trying to get them to feel bad for their words or actions. Sometimes it's due to things being lost in translation over the internet and other times it's people simply just being a-holes. Just stick with the nice people and ignore the rest. Even better, the rude people have probably all blocked you now so you won't even see their posts anymore: win/win!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    YES
    4'11 girl: Is it ok if I eat 1,200 calories a day?
    People: NO UR GONNA STARVE UR GONNA SHRIVEL UP AND DIE EVERYONE NEEDS WAY MORE THAN 1,200 CALORIES UR GONNA STARVE AND DIE LOLZ UR DUMB EAT A SANDWICH

^ The issue is that MFP has been set up 1200 as a base line but suggests it to way too many women. There are some rather petite women like yourself for which 1200 is probably appropriate. Shake it off as many people on here are trying to draw from their personal experiences to provide help. There are certainly some that are overzealous.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    BUUUUUUUUUURRRPPP!

I'm sorry, did you say something?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    People have legitimate questions that need thoughtful answers. You may have lost 50 pounds and be in the best shape of your life but that does not give you the right to talk down to someone. Where are you manners?? I don't care if this is your 50th time answering the same question. Don't be a prick about it. Some are new to this site and don't want to go through the million pages of topics that are posted.

Everyone was new here once, except for the tiny handful of people who somehow joined when they had no members yet. Which must have been REALLY weird. But for everyone else, there's always been people who have been here longer and have known more.

MAYBE the people who you think are being rude are repeating what worked for THEM when they were the noobs.

I've been here almost 2.5 years. When I first joined, I spent a lot more time reading than I did posting. I still spend a lot more time reading than I do posting, and with a post count as high as mine, that's a LOT of reading. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've actually asked for advice, because I usually found the answer while... you guessed it: reading.

I try to be considerate. I try to think "this could be someone's first day here," not only when considering the OP, but lurkers who might be like me and read more than post. I don't go out of my way to be rude, but I've still been accused of it, because someone didn't like my answer.

Personally, I grew up with four older brothers, and as a very unpopular nerdgirl in school. I've taken a lot of ribbing in my life. A few words on an internet forum aren't going to send me into hysterics. And I attribute 95% of the success I've had on this site to keeping an open mind and realizing that I can learn most from those who are saying things that don't make sense. (like eating more for better weight loss, and lifting weights to look more feminine)

If someone is being genuinely rude, ignore them or report them if you think it's bad enough. But if you just don't like their "delivery," realize that not everyone responds the same way to the same stimuli. What you might think is rude might be the kick in the pants someone else truly NEEDS.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    People get "brave" on the internet. They find they can say what they want without consequence. No worries. Hopefully one day their attitudes from the internet come out in real life and they use it to the wrong person and get punched in the face.

This excuse of "we aren't rude - we're just HONEST" is a cop out. You do not have to be snide to be honest. It's a little thing called TACT. Some people just don't have any, unfortunately.

tact noun \ˈtakt\

Definition of TACT

: sensitive mental or aesthetic perception <converted the novel into a play with remarkable skill and tact>
    : a keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others or avoid offense

One who hopes someone gets punched in the face should not be attempting to instruct people on "tact"
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I agree people should at least make an effort to be polite to one another, but on the other hand . . . I think FAR too many people on this forum (and in the world, in general) have thin skin.

So, I'm a bit torn on how to feel.:indifferent:
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    OMG I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU 150%!!!!!! PEOPLE ARE RUDE AND ALOT OF US DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT ALL OF THESE FANCY TERMS MEANS AND HOW MANY CALORIES WE SHOULD BE USING! I HAD TO DELETE A LADY WHO WAS VERY RUDE TO ME BECAUSE SHE COULDNT UNDERSTAND WHY I WAS VENTING. I DONT LIKE IGNORANCE

Was she explaining the caps lock function?
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the responses, but I'm going to go with my gut and say "Uh oh."
  • cblkel
    cblkel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with your post. Glad you had the nerve and good sense to post it. Maybe some of those people will get a conscious and change their ways. I know you are getting all kinds of negative post, but don't let that stop you. You keep up the good work.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    images_zpsfefd1d8d.jpg[/URL]
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

yelling doesnt help.:flowerforyou:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    People get "brave" on the internet. They find they can say what they want without consequence. No worries. Hopefully one day their attitudes from the internet come out in real life and they use it to the wrong person and get punched in the face.

This excuse of "we aren't rude - we're just HONEST" is a cop out. You do not have to be snide to be honest. It's a little thing called TACT. Some people just don't have any, unfortunately.

tact noun \ˈtakt\

Definition of TACT

: sensitive mental or aesthetic perception <converted the novel into a play with remarkable skill and tact>
    : a keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others or avoid offense

One who hopes someone gets punched in the face should not be attempting to instruct people on "tact"

You totally win. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.