Some of you are just plain RUDE

Options

Replies

• IamBlackMamba
    IamBlackMamba Posts: 229
    Options
    I have gotten to the point where I don't want to read the forum's anymore because some of you are just RUDE.

What makes you think you can treat someone like they are stupid?

People have legitimate questions that need thoughtful answers. You may have lost 50 pounds and be in the best shape of your life but that does not give you the right to talk down to someone. Where are you manners?? I don't care if this is your 50th time answering the same question. Don't be a prick about it. Some are new to this site and don't want to go through the million pages of topics that are posted. For a lot of people this is there first time trying to get healthy, they may not know that you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories. You need to APPLAUD them for taking the step to be healthy. If you have some criticism, say it nicely. Don't say things like "you're stupid" or "I did that back when I was a naive idiot" or other sarcastic blows. People come here for support and advice. You can give your advice is a nice way.

Pretty sure this site is for motivation and support. Let's make sure we keep it that way. Keep it classy, people. Keep it classy.

End rant

Have a super sparkly day there Dance Mom!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do when I read something on the internet that upsets me. It's foolproof. I place my hand in the upper center part of my monitor and pull forward and down until I hear a click. Then I come back when I feel a little less offended. Usually, when I go back a couple hours later and read what made me upset, I wonder what was wrong with me to get so upset. It was just a cat gif, afterall.
  • IamBlackMamba
    IamBlackMamba Posts: 229
    Options
    tumblr_me5m8hIVWv1rani6a.gif

10.0!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    wellbuygif.gif
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    corrinebrown wrote: "Some are new to this site and don't want to go through the million pages of topics that are posted."

And there lies the root of your problem. When I joined MFP, I spent time going reading the forum to see what I can learn and obtain answers to questions that I may have. This is call taking responsibility, 15 minutes a day is not too much to ask to do this. All of us are busy busy busy (the Angie commercial), but the ones that spend time going through the forum, do not expect others to be instantly at our disposal.

I find some people expect instant answers to their questions, because they are too lazy to do a little research. If there is an answer to a question that I was thinking about or a website address that have interesting information, I normally copy it and paste in Wordpad to read at my leisure.

QFT.

When I started here I searched the heck out of the forums and found most of the information I needed. It would have been very rude to expect everyone else to take the time to spoon feed me when I had everything I needed at my fingertips. And complaining that people get aggravated after answering the same question 50+ times in a row and ALSO complaining when those same questions don't get answered at all makes my head hurt. You have some pretty high expectations of strangers on an Internet forum.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Sigh. I agree, but you've just given the trolls of MFP the invite to attack you like a pack of angry wolves by posting this. They'll never go away, so you just have to skim through each reply to find the serious ones. I think that when people reach their goals they sometimes gain a sense of entitlement or something. They lose the ability to suggest healthier, realistic ways to lose weight and become healthy. Instead they end up saying things like, "you're stupid for wanting to eat like that," or, "you're stupid for wanting to exercise like that." Sure, there are right and wrong ways to go about losing weight, but there's no need to be a douche about it. I also feel that it may be because MFP offers more anonymity, despite the fact that we're able to share pictures of ourselves and our stories. This site is unlike Facebook because most of us don't actually know each other, so there's not very much thought given before the post reply button is hit.

On the other hand, I feel that people do sometimes mistake good, sound advice for rudeness. It can be really hard to read inflection and intent into text written by someone you've never met.

But... that's just my opinion.

Regardless, good luck with things!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Have you people read some of the ignorant stuff that gets posted? I know for me it's a major accomplishment for me to be as nice as I am...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    image.png
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You do realize that telling people how to behave is rude, right?

Guess our teachers, parents, grand parents and law officials are all rude then. lol

Do you seriously not see how dumb this response is?

Do you seriously not see them as the same? Gosh your parents must be proud! :noway:

You think that a random internet stranger has the same standing to criticize your behavior as your mother or your father?

Would you walk up to a random stranger in a restaurant and tell them to put their napkin on their lap or to get their elbows off the table?

Do you really not see how strangers are held to a different standard than people who are CHARGED WITH raising you and teaching you manners???

I notice you left out police... because they are strangers and btw so are law officials and yet they tell us how to behave.

And actually yes, I have gone up to a complete stranger and told them to stop screaming in a restaurant and ruining everybodies meal. The childs parents were pointing out how the childs behavior had everybody staring at him and yet they did nothing about it. They wanted to embarrass him into behaving properly and when that didn't work, I went over there and told him to knock it off, that it was rude... and you know what, people actually applauded! lol

We listen to the police because they have the guns, and also because we've consented to certain laws and regulations as a condition of living in a particular society.

And walking up to a complete stranger and correcting their behavior is rude. You may have gotten applause but you were completely rude.

You can keep arguing that it's not. You'll continue to be wrong. It is unforgivably wrong to correct the behavior of another person who you are either not (a) the parent or caregiver of, (b) a person in a position of authority to such person, such as a member of the clergy, a teacher, a coach, a scout leader, etc., or (c) a public official enforcing laws and regulations.

And if you'd spoken to my child in a restaurant about her behavior, I would have told you to step away from my child. Who do you think you are?

And yes, I'm being rude by telling you you're being rude. It's not ironic. It's intentional.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think this thread needs some pony

DSU3f3Y.gif

lT2PAP7.gif

Q40Rphy.jpg
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Guess our teachers, parents, grand parents and law officials are all rude then. lol

Do you seriously not see them as the same? Gosh your parents must be proud! :noway:

You think that a random internet stranger has the same standing to criticize your behavior as your mother or your father?

Would you walk up to a random stranger in a restaurant and tell them to put their napkin on their lap or to get their elbows off the table?

Do you really not see how strangers are held to a different standard than people who are CHARGED WITH raising you and teaching you manners???

I notice you left out police... because they are strangers and btw so are law officials and yet they tell us how to behave.

And actually yes, I have gone up to a complete stranger and told them to stop screaming in a restaurant and ruining everybodies meal. The childs parents were pointing out how the childs behavior had everybody staring at him and yet they did nothing about it. They wanted to embarrass him into behaving properly and when that didn't work, I went over there and told him to knock it off, that it was rude... and you know what, people actually applauded! lol

for the record- law enforcement officers aren't strangers I was taught from a very young age to avoid strangers, but if I needed help or got lost to talk to a poilice officer, so clearly- not a stranger.
    strangerdanger.jpg
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    corrinebrown wrote: "Some are new to this site and don't want to go through the million pages of topics that are posted."

And there lies the root of your problem. When I joined MFP, I spent time going reading the forum to see what I can learn and obtain answers to questions that I may have. This is call taking responsibility, 15 minutes a day is not too much to ask to do this. All of us are busy busy busy (the Angie commercial), but the ones that spend time going through the forum, do not expect others to be instantly at our disposal.

I find some people expect instant answers to their questions, because they are too lazy to do a little research. If there is an answer to a question that I was thinking about or a website address that have interesting information, I normally copy it and paste in Wordpad to read at my leisure.

Some people are not as computer literate as you or lack time for all the research. The only way they are wasting your time is if you choose to answer them. Instead of berating them for not searching themselves why not just go to another forum where your time wont be wasted.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Do you seriously not see that someone in your life failed to teach you proper behavior.

BOOM!
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Do you seriously not see that someone in your life failed to teach you proper behavior.

Ad hominem attack. My favorite kind.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I have gotten to the point where I don't want to read the forum's anymore because some of you are just RUDE.

What makes you think you can treat someone like they are stupid?

People have legitimate questions that need thoughtful answers. You may have lost 50 pounds and be in the best shape of your life but that does not give you the right to talk down to someone. Where are you manners?? I don't care if this is your 50th time answering the same question. Don't be a prick about it. Some are new to this site and don't want to go through the million pages of topics that are posted. For a lot of people this is there first time trying to get healthy, they may not know that you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories. You need to APPLAUD them for taking the step to be healthy. If you have some criticism, say it nicely. Don't say things like "you're stupid" or "I did that back when I was a naive idiot" or other sarcastic blows. People come here for support and advice. You can give your advice is a nice way.

Pretty sure this site is for motivation and support. Let's make sure we keep it that way. Keep it classy, people. Keep it classy.

End rant

This was a very classy post!! I am encouraged and uplifted. I will change my naive and stupid and sarcastic ways immediately. My lesson has been learned.

All of you people who are eating 1200 calories or less and burning 600 calories a day and not eating back your exercise calories...I applaud you!! Way to take unhealthy, and in some cases, life-threatening steps to become healthy!! Congratulations on your dedication and may the odds be ever in your favor! :flowerforyou:

May all of your lives be filled with rainbows and ponies!!

ponies_and_rainbows.jpg

2dbed4b218d1.gif
  • Ladyinwaiting4
    Ladyinwaiting4 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    thank thank you! bunches for posting this. I am one of those people aiming to get healthy. when I mentioned I upped my calories by 300 and was asked what amount I was eating they said your in starving mode because I went from eating 1,000 calories to 1300 calories. I now eat 1600 calories. I had an eating disorder I am being treated for had a lot of that kind of stuff.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do when I read something on the internet that upsets me. It's foolproof. I place my hand in the upper center part of my monitor and pull forward and down until I hear a click. Then I come back when I feel a little less offended. Usually, when I go back a couple hours later and read what made me upset, I wonder what was wrong with me to get so upset. It was just a cat gif, afterall.

30iui6d.gif
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Someone should make a song about this issue. :yawn:

3q0v8r.jpg
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Big-Girl-Panties.png
  • boberrymom
    boberrymom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    How do you know someone is being sarcastic when there is no tone in typing? LMFAO its hilarious!

K rude comments I can see, that is definitely uncalled for but if they are telling you to suck it up, come on, really you just come looking for it if you are looking for a pity party of oh poor me....like seriously!

We are all the keepers of our own fate, noone can make you do anything you don't want to, however don't be mad if they tell you to actually suck it up and give you the tools you need to do it.

If they are genuinely rude then yeah complain, otherwise suck it up and look at what they said as criticism, see if it is true or not. If it is and you don't like it, change it. If its not true , then ignore it.

My gosh, I have 4 kids....i can hear this stuff from them lol.

Hilarious thread with lots of really good comments and pics lol, the "Artist" one scared me too. lol
This discussion has been closed.