Some of you are just plain RUDE

Options

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    But calling people a prick isn't rude AT ALL.

Yes, sometimes people are meanie mean heads on the forums. And SOMETIMES they are offering up truths that people don't want to hear. And then they get labeled as bullies.

There are some who post on here wanting validation of THEIR OWN OPINIONS, not real answers. And the people who frequent the forums, the ones who have read it, seen it, done it, and respond to it do get tired of repeating themselves. It's a fine line.

But I can assure you that your post will do nothing but go downhill from here.

Oh and :flowerforyou:

Well said.

It may be out there, but I have never seen bullying in the forums. I have seen rude responses, but not really as many as some people claim. What I do see a lot of is the seasoned veterans of MFP not sugar coating answers to questions. They're going to tell it like it is and will not tell someone that it's just hunky dory to eat 800 calories a day and do 3 hours of cardio. It is thanks to those very direct and honest answers that I upped my calories from 1200 and integrated weights into my workout routine. This has resulted in my husband telling me that I look better now than I did in our wedding pictures 6 years ago and 20 pounds less than my current weight.

People need to realize that everyone on here has a different personality, but it's not the posters responsibility to cater his/her response to everyone because it's impossible to please everyone. It is the reader's responsibility to go into the threads knowing that all types of answers will be given, some of those answers they may not like. If someone goes into a thread expecting to be offended, he/she will be.

Quoting for awesomeness
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    But calling people a prick isn't rude AT ALL.

Yes, sometimes people are meanie mean heads on the forums. And SOMETIMES they are offering up truths that people don't want to hear. And then they get labeled as bullies.

There are some who post on here wanting validation of THEIR OWN OPINIONS, not real answers. And the people who frequent the forums, the ones who have read it, seen it, done it, and respond to it do get tired of repeating themselves. It's a fine line.

But I can assure you that your post will do nothing but go downhill from here.

Oh and :flowerforyou:

I've seen a few go a bit out of their way to "prove a point" and it comes across particularly harsh.

I try not to do that unless it's in the "chit chat" forum...

Harsh like going out of your way to point out that some people aren't acting how you believe they should act on the internet. Then post it in motivation and support. I don't feel motivated. I feel threatened and scared to post anything now that I might ensure the wrath of coming across as a prick or rude.

Well, I didn't comment on this thread in general simply because I don't think my opinion of it would be very helpful, and would most likely just fuel an argument. I agree with your points.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Just a disclaimer: if I ever gave anyone reason to believe I was anything other than an *kitten* and a *kitten*, I apologize.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Well obviously my self esteem is completely based on peoples presumptions of me! Duh :P
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I was thinking this exact same thing last night after reading a couple of posts on the forums. Why would you, especially if you've ever been where some of these people are, ever EVER want to discourage them? Encouragement, support, assistance, these are the right tools. Sarcasm and rudeness you can keep to yourselves. They help no one.

Yup Yup
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Don't say things like "you're stupid" or "I did that back when I was a naive idiot" or other sarcastic blows.

Yeah, I've been on these forums for a year and a half and I've literally never seen anyone say either of those things. I think I saw someone say "OP is an idiot" ONCE, and that was only because people had given OP pages and pages of helpful advice that they kept ignoring.

For every snarky comment on here, there are hundreds of helpful posts. A lot of times, the snarky comments ARE the helpful posts. Don't know why people always choose to see the bad.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think its rude to post a topic about the master cleanse or whatever question you have without doing a simple search of the boards to find the last 100 topics that people have posted.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I don't care if this is your 50th time answering the same question. Don't be a prick about it. Some are new to this site and don't want to go through the million pages of topics that are posted.

i find it ironic that you talk about 50 times of asking a question, when there are multiple posts identical to yours. you could have just found one that you connected with, and commented on it...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You do realize that telling people how to behave is rude, right?

Guess our teachers, parents, grand parents and law officials are all rude then. lol

Do you seriously not see how dumb this response is?

Do you seriously not see them as the same? Gosh your parents must be proud! :noway:

I5FZM.gif
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Don't say things like "you're stupid" or "I did that back when I was a naive idiot"
    [citation needed]

Still waiting.

tumblr_mj57roVnUa1rx4sn7o1_500.gif
    I think we'll be waiting a while.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You do realize that telling people how to behave is rude, right?

Guess our teachers, parents, grand parents and law officials are all rude then. lol

Do you seriously not see how dumb this response is?

Do you seriously not see them as the same? Gosh your parents must be proud! :noway:

You think that a random internet stranger has the same standing to criticize your behavior as your mother or your father?

Would you walk up to a random stranger in a restaurant and tell them to put their napkin on their lap or to get their elbows off the table?

Do you really not see how strangers are held to a different standard than people who are CHARGED WITH raising you and teaching you manners???
  • fysty75
    fysty75 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Agreed !! When I first started, I didn't know what NSV was, and when I asked, some people straight ignored me ! Lol !

When I was getting started I was asking for advice/suggestions on hunger control etc. and every single reply (there were about 10) were down right MEAN. One that stands out was. "You haven't even logged for 30 days. how do you expect help. come back when you've logged for 30 days" (that's only part of the answer). The rest were quite ignorant and not necessary. I actually reported my own post so I could have it removed. it was a horrible experience and so now I VERY RARELY post in the forums.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    corrinebrown wrote: "Some are new to this site and don't want to go through the million pages of topics that are posted."

And there lies the root of your problem. When I joined MFP, I spent time going reading the forum to see what I can learn and obtain answers to questions that I may have. This is call taking responsibility, 15 minutes a day is not too much to ask to do this. All of us are busy busy busy (the Angie commercial), but the ones that spend time going through the forum, do not expect others to be instantly at our disposal.

I find some people expect instant answers to their questions, because they are too lazy to do a little research. If there is an answer to a question that I was thinking about or a website address that have interesting information, I normally copy it and paste in Wordpad to read at my leisure.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Your post is condescending and rude.

your stick figure is sticky.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I have yet to see an actual "you're stupid" comment.

But mostly I'm in to see this derail.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    MODS, can we PUH-LEEEZ get a "butthurt" section of the forums? it can be a safe haven for the sensitive to gather in.

"HALP GUIZE I JUX WENT OVER BY 10,000 KALOREEEZ FOR THE 12TH DAY IN A ROW"

"it's ok...tomorrow is another day. you're doing great!"

1g1.gif
  • SieSie76
    SieSie76 Posts: 60
    Options
    Well, no offense to anyone here but I just don't really see the point of this thread. Yes, this is a place where people are aiming to lose weight and support is needed, but you can't control other people and how they'll act. If they want to be rude, then why let it bother you? Why focus on the negative comments? You wanted support right? So then read and focus on the posts that give help and advice.

This maybe be an online society, but it's society none the less. Not everybody in society is friendly and you need to just expect that. Again, no offense but... we all need to be mature here. We've lived in this world long enough to at least know and expect these things to happen. It all depends on how you handle it.

So handle it in the most mature way possible; by not giving a hoot~ :)
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    wpid-423297_345468868839458_244753448911001_980254_650312443_n.jpeg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are just hungry which makes them irritable LOL. I see rude posts in responses to peoples' questions all the time and I think to myself, was that really necessary? But I'm not them, so I just keep on scrolling.

Not hungry....HANGRY!!!!!

1275905143_raging-midget.gif

LMFAO....I love mean people threads...
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I was thinking this exact same thing last night after reading a couple of posts on the forums. Why would you, especially if you've ever been where some of these people are, ever EVER want to discourage them? Encouragement, support, assistance, these are the right tools. Sarcasm and rudeness you can keep to yourselves. They help no one.

Yup Yup

disagree.. i welcome sarcasm with open arms.
This discussion has been closed.