Some of you are just plain RUDE

Options

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    corrinebrown wrote: "Some are new to this site and don't want to go through the million pages of topics that are posted."

And there lies the root of your problem. When I joined MFP, I spent time going reading the forum to see what I can learn and obtain answers to questions that I may have. This is call taking responsibility, 15 minutes a day is not too much to ask to do this. All of us are busy busy busy (the Angie commercial), but the ones that spend time going through the forum, do not expect others to be instantly at our disposal.

I find some people expect instant answers to their questions, because they are too lazy to do a little research. If there is an answer to a question that I was thinking about or a website address that have interesting information, I normally copy it and paste in Wordpad to read at my leisure.

I think I love you!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are jerks on here (let's stop pretending there aren't). You can ignore their comments or call them out. I personally give props to those who call out people for being @ssholes. :wink:

I sometimes get called out for being an a-hole when I am trying to be helpful (I will admit there are times when I am trying to be an a-hole, but it's usually only in a troll thread a friend of mine has posted). If I really hate you, I will be polite as can be. I won't give fuel for someone to report me.

I don't get my panties in a bunch about it. I just ignore it, or try to explain myself further to clarify my point. I don't care if people think I am an A-hole or not.

I think a lot of people see disagreement in a discussion as someone being an a-hole. I personally don't like to see misinformation sitting out there. I can't let it sit. I will sometimes reply to correct the bit of misinformation, or to throw out an alternate explanation, and be called a troll or a meany. This is why I think people are too sensitive.

People often say I am hiding behind internet anonymity. Not so. When I first logged into this site, my user name was my first and last name. I was the same way then as I am now. In person, I am the same way if not more critical. I try to make sure I'm a bit more polite here than in person, because it is a different form of communication, and people can't see my non-verbals and know that I actually care about them, and the things that they are doing.

But people need to understand that if they are going to engage in a public discourse about a topic there may well be some dissenting viewpoints and opinions and they will be expressed.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    OMG I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU 150%!!!!!! PEOPLE ARE RUDE AND ALOT OF US DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT ALL OF THESE FANCY TERMS MEANS AND HOW MANY CALORIES WE SHOULD BE USING! I HAD TO DELETE A LADY WHO WAS VERY RUDE TO ME BECAUSE SHE COULDNT UNDERSTAND WHY I WAS VENTING. I DONT LIKE IGNORANCE

You just said that you didn't understand/know dieting terms, and you deleted someone on your friend's list for being "ignorant." See the irony here? "Ignorant" means "uninformed."

I grabbed example because this type of word skewing is what makes me doubt 80% of "they were RUDE!" claims. I've seen more people confuse "rude" with "told me I had the wrong information" or "told me raspberry keytone colon cleansing doesn't work." Hell, I've seen people called rude for explaining TDEE and other bits of dieting jargon.

You know what? Sometimes wrong is wrong, You can put all of the pretty softening up phrases around it you want, add 10,000 "imho" disclaimers, but eventually you've got to tell someone they're incorrect and that is quickly being confused with "rude" in society.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,855 Member
    Options
    Attitude adjustment people! This is the Motivation and Support board. Let's try that and ignore or report the 'bad guys'! :drinker:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I agree, some people seem to come to the forums in order to make themselves feel smarter and more knowledgeable at the expense of others. Try not to let it bother you. There are still lots of people here who do give honest feedback and constructive criticism =)

And for that, they are called bullies and meanies.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with her writing in caps?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    George Takei just threw a relevant post up on facebook ..

George Takei
    Here's a little Internet tip: If you feel offended by something someone else posts, remember two simple rules:

(1) It's not about you.
    (2) If you try to make it about you, you'll sound ridiculous.

--Uncle George
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    I agree, people can be so mean here. Some think they're being helpful, some feel superior, and some just like talking down to others behind the safety of their computer screens.

Not true. Come here, and I will talk down to you to your face.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

It hurts my ears. I read every post in different voices in my head, and she's loud.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    Welcome to the internet. You must be new here. Let me show you around. See, over here we have people with opinions. And, over here we have the "log off" button. You're welcome to choose whichever you like. Just remember, there are consequences to both. I hope I've been supportive and you found this tour to be helpful.

So, if i hit the logoff button, which people with opinions will it log off?
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    George Takei just threw a relevant post up on facebook ..

George Takei
    Here's a little Internet tip: If you feel offended by something someone else posts, remember two simple rules:

(1) It's not about you.
    (2) If you try to make it about you, you'll sound ridiculous.

--Uncle George

Love this! and George.
  • jaxokc
    jaxokc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LOL. Soooo many rude peeps on a anti-rude thread. Thanks for making my Friday so entertaining. Wish I had popcorn. :bigsmile:
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

It hurts my ears. I read every post in different voices in my head, and she's loud.
    blogger-image--58017817.jpg
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    You do realize that telling people how to behave is rude, right?

Guess our teachers, parents, grand parents and law officials are all rude then. lol

Do you seriously not see how dumb this response is?

Do you seriously not see that someone in your life failed to teach you proper behavior.

Based upon which culture's standards?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Basic rule of forum/internet etiquette. All caps = shouting. It's like someone yelling in your face. plus, it's annoying as hell to read. It may be worse than people who don't know about punctuation or paragraphs.

I try to be helpful, but I am blunt by nature. I'm sure some people think I'm mean. But, it is annoying when 5 of the posts on the front page of the fitness forum are asking what kind of results to expect form the 30DS or when someone asks a question, gets an answer they don't like, then picks a fight about it with the person who was originally trying to help. I do also think that while there is some rudeness on the forums there is an equal amount of butthurt, people who take one comment that's not about how awesome they are and jump all over it as if they've been slapped in the face.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    LOL. Soooo many rude peeps on a anti-rude thread. Thanks for making my Friday so entertaining. Wish I had popcorn. :bigsmile:

Here you go!
    tumblr_m6xaor13Da1qat4duo1_500.gif
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Oh crap, I just got here, sorry I'm late. Did I miss anything? Who brought popcorn?
    :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Oh crap, I just got here, sorry I'm late. Did I miss anything? Who brought popcorn?
    :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

I brought the butter ;)
  • Just_Alyssa
    Just_Alyssa Posts: 52 Member
    Options

No popcorn yet, but someone did mention having a sammich.
This discussion has been closed.