Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options

Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I'm only up to 115... about 3 sets of 5 after a few warm up sets

my thighs are not hyooge yettttt.

in fact they look smaller...calorie deficit and heavy lifting=win.

33110506_9491.jpg
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 175 for reps (5x5). According to online calcs that would translate to 197lbs 1 rep max - but I'd have to try it to see if that's accurate.

My thighs are huge, but that's because there is still a whole lotta' fat over the muscle. I'm hoping for nice strong thighs when my weight is down, but huge due to muscle, not fat.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm only squatting 45. That's because I don't have a barbell bar, so I have to put weights in a backpack and do it that way. Hoping to either get a bar, OR maybe McGyver up a way to squat heavier.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    So yes, I think you should use heavier weights... use the heaviest weight you can, if you can do more than 12 reps, it's too heavy. Or do a programme which involves lifting heavier and heavier weights, such as stronglifts

she meant it's too light if you can do more than 12 reps,

yeah lol that is what I meant!!! lol me typing stuff too early in the morning!! I'll correct it!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    aaagggh!!!! can't edit!!!!

well you all knew what I meant....
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    55-70kg (121-154lbs) barbell for my working sets.

Squatting heavier won't make your thighs bigger, excess calories will. Squatting heavy has only done the world of good for my thighs.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends on how much you weigh and your bone structure size. A 100 pound women will squat and lift less than a 150 pound women (as an example). Think of it in terms of body weight percentage. There are charts to help out with that. Of course, if you can lift more, go for it.

I know weights are compared to bodyweight, but in practice, I don't feel being fatter gave me any advantage. I felt like such a weakling when I compared my lifts to my bodyweight (when very obese), so I used to compare them to my LBM to cheer myself up a bit. (Reasoning that the fat was something I had to lift along with the weight, rather than something that helped me lift!).

To answer the question, I'm only doing 100lb squats and find them hard work. (I did used to lift more, but I'm getting back into it again after a break and am building up slowly due to being ancient with creaky joints).
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I was at 90 but my form was crap so now I am back down to 50 till my form improves.
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Starting my 4th week of Starting Strenght-up to 94lbs on the squat. We'll see what happens tonight!
  • uncbluci
    uncbluci Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I recently moved to the squat rack because I finally was to the point where I couldn't lift the weight I needed over my head. Just been doing the bar by itself until I've got form down (such a difference going from free weight to squat rack), and the confidence to increase weights
  • msb803
    msb803 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm squatting between 125 to 155 lbs during the Crossfit WODs. I haven't done my 1RM in a while, but I think it's estimated to be around 175. I'm a big girl who needs to lose some more weight, so I'm not squatting my BW yet, but hope to reach that goal by this fall!
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    121lbs
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Usually 125 but due to medical reasons I haven't lifted for 2 months so we'll see what I am going to be at on Tuesday
  • uncbluci
    uncbluci Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also when people say the amount of weight, is that the total weight of the plates added or does that include the bar?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    145. I could do 8 reps, so I want to try to go up next time.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    165#
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    150 ATG for reps, and my thighs are getting smaller. The only way yours are going to get bigger is if you are over-eating.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    7.5kg about 300 reps
    Fairly happy at the moment whilst loosing *kitten* fat! Then I'll up it! Like the guy said eariler don't want to layer it up!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    My PR is 165lbs 5x5. This was at the end of the first round of Stronglifts that I did. I'm in a deload week, so I'll probably do 95-100lbs and go from there.