• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    More today than you did yesterday.
    More tomorrow than you did today.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You're not going to grow big muscles while eating at a deficit.

My current working weight is 100% of my body weight, but I eventually hope to work up to 150%. HTH.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Make it work. I had to deload down to 165 because I took a month off . . . looking forward to pushing past 175 this time. When I'm pushing my heaviest weights it's because I stick to my exercise and dietary plan, at that time I'm a size 0 . . . when I lift my lightest weights because I've broken from my routine I have to break out my big clothes (size 6). My ultimate lifting goal is 187.5 (my prime weight x 150%).

Ignore the old wives tales, unless you're eating in excess you won't get big and your uterus won't fall out and you won't become infertile just by making yourself stronger and maxing out your body's potential.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    My 1 rep max is 265.

Right now, I'm doing Wendler 5/3/1, so my squats are a percentage of 90% of my 1RM. They are anywhere from 150-225lbs, depending on the day of the program.

I'm 5'6", 180lbs. I'm only getting smaller.

swoon
    tumblr_mmfhxj85EY1rm8tvio1_400.gif
  • Quest529
    Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I just started Stronglifts, and my squats are at 60lbs. right now. I love increasing the weight :)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Bumping to 105 my next workout... Don't have muscular thighs.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Using what I have available (dumbbells), I am up to 60lbs on squats. Hoping to increase to 65-70 this week. Working on form rather than increased weight load, since my knees are a weak spot.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I use the smith machine and load about 35 pounds on each side (70 total) for 15 repetitions, or 50 lb on each side (100 total) for 10 repetitions. I have done up to 140 for 5 reps. It's important to squat to parallel to really get those muscle fibers going. I do ten sets of these as part of a circuit of lower body exercises. My thighs are 19" if that helps.

Never be afraid to use heavy weight. Most women are afraid to push the intensity up with weight.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    30 lb each dumbell.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I use 50 pound dumbell (just one) 2 sets of 15.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    About to start strong lift when I join my new gym next week. We have plated barbells and fixed weighted ones, think I'll stick to fixed weights at first, makes it easier to change weights for each exercise, plus I know the true weight, no need to add plates + bar lol

Can you use fixed weight barbells on a squat rack?
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    115 x 8 - getting ready to bump up to 125 or the big girl plates soon.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 yrs old, 151 pound and I'll be squatting 135 this afternoon on the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. My thighs have not increased or decreased in size as of yet, but they sure do look better.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I use the leg press machine for the similar sort of action, but 93kg/205lbs
  • gina0629
    gina0629 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a stong lift 5x5 that my huband set me up with. I just squatted 115 yesterday and will do 120 on Wednesday. I questioned the heavy weight when he first suggested the program but I have seem great results. Started at 45 and have added 5 pounds with each workout. Go heavy!
  • italian_bella_xo
    Options
    65 pounds is what i am at now - working my way up though :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Right now I am squatting a crap ton (don't remember weight) on the Smith machine, and around 80 lbs free-standing. I have a heart problem, so I have to be careful HOW I do them. I will be going much heavier as soon as I can.

For a reference, read this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

What do you differently because of your heart disease, if you don't mind me asking? I have heart disease myself and was a bit wary when I started. I don't know any other women who are lifting and have heart disease, so I'm pleased to have "met" you"!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I was working with 135, but I've dropped it back to 115-120 for deep squats and concentrating on perfect form. I can do a lot of reps at that weight, but for some reason, when I up it to 125 (my body weight), my form starts to falter. The form started messing up when I started eating at a deficit.

My max is 175, but it was at the top of a bulk and I won't be there again anytime soon. I'm trying to get body fat down before I start my next bulk, which I hope will be end of July.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this thread.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    50 lbs on the squat rack.

However I just finally came back to using it after not being able to even do a squat for years due to arthritis in my knees.

Hoping to get to 150 lbs.

That's interesting. How did you cure the arthritis in your knees?