Running. An avoidance behavior?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    I'll be the first to be eaten by zombies, as I can't outrun them or kick their *kitten*.

That is all.

You can be my Otis, honey.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    I run so I can drink more beer. The end.

FTW!!! :drinker:

I'm worried that you're using one addiction to fuel another.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Calling lungs courageous is poetic, but dumb.

I still have yet to see anything but pretty words from people who disagree with this post. No studies yet. Funny, that...

Fine if I have to be the guy that puts up for all the runner's out there, there is one peer reviewed and Journal-published piece of work[1]. They SPECIFICALLY mention jogging about five times in the four page paper.

[1]: http://www.lhj.com/health/fitness/whats-so-great-about-cardio/
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I see nothing wrong with running. I feel free whenever I can do it. Not free from my problems or battle but just from the shackles of life. It's something I miss terribly. I've never thought of it as running FROM something but more like running TOWARDS something. There's something so mind numbing and zen about the footfalls repeating over and over, and something empowering about the fact that I can do it with just my body, no props, machines, or anything. I think it's a freedom lovers endeavor and nothing less.

I think strength training with weights has it's obvious advantages too, but I think neither is mutually exclusive. Unless you have a rival like a sancho or something who is a runner, i'm not sure why you'd feel the need to bash running in order to embrace lifting?

run-forever-jesse-owens-quote.jpg?w=611

Love this quote. I just took up running (C25K) and this quote says it all. :)

I still have yet to see anything but pretty words from people who disagree with this post. No studies yet. Funny, that...

what should the study be about? that lifting causes the same problem. or negating his study's results about running being addictive? that study by the way didn't really mean much to me since....rats, and mice. I'm not sure how they'd get the little dumbbells and other weights in their tiny hands...anyway?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I'll be the first to be eaten by zombies, as I can't outrun them or kick their *kitten*.

That is all.

You can be my Otis, honey.

*SWOON*
  • phooey43
    phooey43 Posts: 27 Member
    I've always been one that believes everyone should have a right to their own beliefs. I also believe that this community has done a great job of being supportive. My thought is that coming and making a post that you knowingly would inflammatory is very small minded or if you didn't think this would stir up a pot then perhaps you should start working out the muscle between your ears a bit.

Secondly you should brush up a bit on your greek mythology, Pheidippides was actually sent 1st to get help from sparta and ran over 140 miles. He died AFTER the battle at Marathon running back to announce the victory at Marathon.

While I may not have any studies that say "nuh uh" I love to run perhaps as much as you love to lift. I think any behavior could be used as an avoidance vehicle, why is going to the gym and tuning out the world any different than those that run to tune out the world. I've gone from 265lbs to 185 now lifting AND running and I am more social now than ever.

PS as soon as I start getting my mice to do some deadlifts and curls I will send you the study results
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    A marathon was started because some French aristocrat wanted to celebrate a Greek messenger named Pheidippides. So basically, rather than celebrating the actual soldiers for fighting in The Battle of Marathon they celebrate some messenger who runs 28 miles away from the battle only to collapse and die a failure and a coward.

dude, learn your history... he ran a hell of a lot more than that, and wasn't "running away from the battle" and was NOT labelled a failure and a coward.

http://www.lakepowell.net/marathon.html

The Role of Phidippides

The Athens, vastly outnumbered, desperately needed the help of Sparta's military base to help fend off the attack. Time was short, so the Athenian generals send Phidippides (or Philippides) a professional runner to Sparta to ask for help. The 140 mile course was very mountainous and rugged. Phidippides ran the course in about 36 hours. Sparta agreed to help but said they would not take the field until the moon was full due to religious laws. This would leave the Athenians alone to fight the Persian Army. Phidippides ran back to Athens (another 140 miles!) with the disappointing news. Immediately, the small Athenian Army (including Phidippedes) marched to the plains of Marathon to prepare for battle.

The Battle of Marathon

The Athenian Army was outnumbered 4 to 1 but they launched a surprise offensive thrust which at the time appeared suicidal. But by day's end, 6400 Persian bodies lay dead on the field while only 192 Athenians had been killed. The surviving Persians fled to sea and headed south to Athens where they hoped to attack the city before the Greek Army could re-assemble there.

Phidippides was again called upon to run to Athens (26 miles away) to carry the news of the victory and the warning about the approaching Persian ships. Despite his fatigue after his recent run to Sparta and back and having fought all morning in heavy armor, Phidippides rose to the challenge. Pushing himself past normal limits of human endurance, the reached Athens in perhaps 3 hours, delivered his message and then died shortly thereafter from exhaustion.

Ok. Perhaps he wasn't a failure but he still had to be the one to run and find 'real men' to be able to fight his battles.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Most runners are not heroine-addicted, anorexic mice.

Some Buddhists (and others) meditate to clear their heads, some people exercise, some people use anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds, some people watch TV, some people listen to music, some people look at flowing water, some people watch washing machines, some people garden, some people have sex, some people go shopping, some people play computer games, ad infinitum.

But of course, no scientists have decided to pump people with opiates to see if planting tulips increases withdrawal symptoms compared to lying on a sofa... probably an ethics thing.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    But of course, no scientists have decided to pump people with opiates to see if planting tulips increases withdrawal symptoms compared to lying on a sofa... probably an ethics thing.

Uhm, is this study seeking volunteers?
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 476 Member
    I run so I can drink more beer. The end.

FTW!!! :drinker:

I'm worried that you're using one addiction to fuel another.

Nah...I don't even run. I was just excited about beer. :love:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member

Fine if I have to be the guy that puts up for all the runner's out there, there is one peer reviewed and Journal-published piece of work[1]. They SPECIFICALLY mention jogging about five times in the four page paper.

[1]: http://www.lhj.com/health/fitness/whats-so-great-about-cardio/

When a woman can walk briskly for half an hour+, she has achieved cardio fitness?

huh.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I would say you are projecting, and overthinking it.

I run because I need to burn more calories, enjoy getting outdoors in the summer, or on the treadmill to burn calories and watch something I was going to watch anyways. And it makes me feel freakin fantastic afterwards.

I lift because I like muscles and the sense of accomplishment from getting stronger.

Nothing more complex than that.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    Most runners are not heroine-addicted, anorexic mice.

Some Buddhists (and others) meditate to clear their heads, some people exercise, some people use anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds, some people watch TV, some people listen to music, some people look at flowing water, some people watch washing machines, some people garden, some people have sex, some people go shopping, some people play computer games, ad infinitum.

I highly doubt meditation, washing machines, and flowing water induce withdrawal symptoms.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    I'm failing to see how time spent running or lifting weights has any effect on finding solutions to our 'problems', (apart from fitness). And if it does then that is a bonus.

I do lots of different types of exercise, including running, and the one factor I like about all of them is the challenge - to lift a heavier weight, do more reps, increase flexibility and balance, go further or faster. Therefore, I run because I like the challenge aspect.

You disregard the fact that not everyone uses exercise to try and tackle unspecified problems, and that you can continually challenge yourself in all forms of exercise. That's how I see it anyway.

Just because you like weight lifting does not make running suddenly inferior. It's simply different. People run for different reasons and will find it effects them differently.

I guess for some people who use it as quiet time, or alone time to sort through their problems. I tend to workout with friends so I guess sometimes the chit chatting if I'm only walking achieves that. I wouldn't really say I did that while running, but I could see how others might? The second bolded part is true for me. I don't see it as a problem solving endeavor per se. Just as a way to burn cals or build muscle. Depending on the activity and intensity. Sometimes even as a way to relax plain and simple. It's just certain workouts I do have built in rewards like getting to the top of a rock to see the view, or etc. To me it's not that big of a deal. If my workouts work for me, why should I care how other's use theirs. Now if my husband took up running and he started to behave like an addict, having mantrum's when he didnt get to do it, then I'd see the sense in posting this. IF something similar is happening in OP's life and its affecting him, then I understand, so far I don't yet. Except to open discourse on the much debated cardio VERSUS lifting debate. Which plenty of people have chimed in doesn't have to be an either or proposition.
  • tstancom
    tstancom Posts: 47 Member
    OK, the study that the OP refers to is talking about EXERCISE ADDICTION in which the subject is over-exercising to produce a chemical effect from endorphins and dopamine. The only reason why it refers to running is because the study uses rats, so it is easier for scientists to stick them on a hamster-wheel than to get them to repeatedly lift heavy objects. Anybody here know any weight-lifting rats? Anybody? Anybody? No, but that doesn't mean we don't know PEOPLE that over-exercise in the weight room (or on the track, or in the dance studio, or the pool etc.) Please take your time to read a little more critically. <shakes head>

Now, for all you "show me the study!" people, here's a similar study that talks about how over-exercising - any form of overexercising, including weight lifting - causes an "opiate-like effect" such as that described in the study of the OP. Just to be clear - ANY type of over-exercising causes withdrawal symptoms, not just running.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3210598/

So, folks, go out and run or go out and lift, or go out and dance or do log-rolls or whatever the eff it is that helps you to work though your problems. Just become wary when WHATEVER form of exercise you are using becomes a way to escape your problems entirely instead of facing them.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    When it comes to health benefits of certain activities, you can pretty much always find studies and articles for and against. Just because there's a study doesn't mean it's the end-all be-all truth.
    http://med.stanford.edu/news_releases/2008/august/running.html
    http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Running_and_jogging
    http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/running.html
    http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/seniors-runners.html
    http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2011/june/mcconnell.html
    http://www.sgsd.k12.wi.us/homework/smurawas/benefits_of_running.htm
    http://healthresearch.lbl.gov/

Again, I'm not against lifting. I'm for cardio + strength.
  • Mamahana82
    Mamahana82 Posts: 64
    A marathon was started because some French aristocrat wanted to celebrate a Greek messenger named Pheidippides. So basically, rather than celebrating the actual soldiers for fighting in The Battle of Marathon they celebrate some messenger who runs 28 miles away from the battle only to collapse and die a failure and a coward.

dude, learn your history... he ran a hell of a lot more than that, and wasn't "running away from the battle" and was NOT labelled a failure and a coward.

The Role of Phidippides

The Athens, vastly outnumbered, desperately needed the help of Sparta's military base to help fend off the attack. Time was short, so the Athenian generals send Phidippides (or Philippides) a professional runner to Sparta to ask for help. The 140 mile course was very mountainous and rugged. Phidippides ran the course in about 36 hours. Sparta agreed to help but said they would not take the field until the moon was full due to religious laws. This would leave the Athenians alone to fight the Persian Army. Phidippides ran back to Athens (another 140 miles!) with the disappointing news. Immediately, the small Athenian Army (including Phidippedes) marched to the plains of Marathon to prepare for battle.

The Battle of Marathon

The Athenian Army was outnumbered 4 to 1 but they launched a surprise offensive thrust which at the time appeared suicidal. But by day's end, 6400 Persian bodies lay dead on the field while only 192 Athenians had been killed. The surviving Persians fled to sea and headed south to Athens where they hoped to attack the city before the Greek Army could re-assemble there.

Phidippides was again called upon to run to Athens (26 miles away) to carry the news of the victory and the warning about the approaching Persian ships. Despite his fatigue after his recent run to Sparta and back and having fought all morning in heavy armor, Phidippides rose to the challenge. Pushing himself past normal limits of human endurance, the reached Athens in perhaps 3 hours, delivered his message and then died shortly thereafter from exhaustion.

Ok. Perhaps he wasn't a failure but he still had to be the one to run and find 'real men' to be able to fight his battles.

Have you actually RAN a marathon distance before? You make it sound like the dude was sitting on a couch eating chips and calling in the professionals via text message.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    i'll have to take a look at this later...

and.....having with withdrawal, you can get that from anything....

like....... even........MFP?
  • PlayerHatinDogooder

The Role of Phidippides

The Battle of Marathon

so, real men don't run in your opinion?????? oh, and it was his "assignment", not like he chose to do it

I think 'real men' do plenty of things. But I would say that running certainly takes away someone's manlihood bit by bit.

Furthermore, I'm sure they gave Phidippides that assignment for a reason.

And it wasn't his superior fighting skills.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression-and-exercise/MH00043
    summary: exercise can help with depression...the form of exercise is less important than just the fact that you moved...so lift, run, garden

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/help-information/mental-health-a-z/E/exercise-mental-health/
    essentially says that exercise is important and that the type of exercise you do is best determine by what works for you, your goals, your family, what your enjoy and what you will keep doing....for some

3. Exercise Regularly

Thirty minutes of brisk aerobic exercising--such as running, swimming or bicycling--has been known to relieve most mild forms of depression. In the most immediate sense, it provides an outlet for negative emotions, allowing you to "burn off" feelings of anger or frustration in a positive way. On a more general level, it increases your energy and helps you to feel better about yourself. Studies have shown that regular exercise not only relieves mild symptoms of depression, but makes it less likely that they will come back. Regular exercise is less effective for relieving more serious forms of depression, but can still be helpful in conjunction with formal types of therapy.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/13224-relieve-depression/#ixzz2Tqt0IZQu

The point is, some people can relieve stress, depression etc by running. The fact that you feel that you are avoiding your problems is personal to you. I feel no extra personal strength from lifting. I feel more in touch with my spiritual side after a long run, and I have thought through my problems when I run. I find I cannot escapte from my life when I run but rather that I have to face it in my only peaceful time in my life. I do sometimes tune out. I do sometimes choose to focus on the silly songs on my playlist etc but if things are tough in my daily life running is when I sort it out. I do not have that same sense of focus when I lift or strength train, I am too busy counting reps, making sure my form is correct etc...focusing on differnt things so I do not face my issues in the same way.

To each thier own...it is ok if running is not the end all be all for you...and it is equally ok that I feel differently...exercise is the key.
This discussion has been closed.