Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options

Replies

• EpicPickle
    EpicPickle Posts: 35
    Options
    Another major factor I forgot to mention is genetics--the baseline composition of your muscle fibers and nervous system. Some people have more raw power starting out than others. And build makes a big difference, too. If you are one of those people with long limbs, a short torso, and narrow shoulders, you might never lift as much as someone with more advantageous proportions for lifting and is a match for you in every other way.

Upshot: compete against yourself first and foremost.

I am one of those people, and the only lift I find I struggle with is the back squat. Front squats, deadlifts, and bench are a lot easier for me to master than the back squat.

Point taken though. Build matters.

Oh, and to the OP: my max squat right now is 135 (highbar back). I can do 115 for 5 reps. I'm pretty out of practice with barbell squats, so I have been doing dumbbell goblet squats at home instead lately.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    How many squats are you people doing at these heavy weights? I do Body Pump where the squat track can be 3 - 3.5 minutes of squats ... and more squats, and more squats ... until I want to take the bar off my back and bludgeon my instructor. However, I realistically can't do more than 20 lbs on the bar or I want get through the other 57 minutes of class.

I'm guessing that squats aren't all you folks are doing or not in high reps.

about 20-30 total reps (3x5 plus warm up sets), squatting 1-2 times per week. :smile:
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    As heavy as I can. Right now at 100 lbs.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Hmmm replying right after Sara's impressive 250!!!! :laugh: Well I'm still proud of my 90 lbs 3x5! :wink:

ETA my legs have only gotten slimmer since I started lifting but I know it's the calorie deficit.

You should be proud. I am bigger and have probably been doing it for longer :flowerforyou:

Yeah, it's not wise to compare absolute amounts. Strength depends on many factors, including your weight (especially LBM), height (smaller people can lift proportionally heavier weights because they don't move them as far and have a mechanical advantage), age (older usually means weaker, all other things being equal), and experience. And sex of course.

^^yep. Plus whether someone is at a deficit or maintenance or a surplus.

hehe thanks. I was just messing with you :wink:
  • jw203
    jw203 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second week of Stronglifts and got to 55kg yesterday (5x5) which is around 120 pounds. I plan to beat that in tomorrow's session.

I've never thought about the short persion advantage before, but I guess I have that at 5'2".
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have been trying more free weights after about five months on machines.. But I don't have a spotter and makes me afraid to increase weight, especially after I almost decapitated myself with a bench press
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm at 135.

Meet Staci, she shows you how you can lift as heavy as possible, and not get bigger or bulky, http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • pnut456
    pnut456 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    85 lbs right now but I increase every other week or as needed based on what I think I can do safely. lift heavy!!!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I'm using 15s right now, but thinking about moving up to 20s. I'm concerned that if I go much heavier, it will make my thighs bigger instead of leaner. I'm not sure there's any science to that thinking, though...

you're right there's no science to that thinking

being lean comes from losing fat. If you have a layer of fat over your muscles, you won't see the muscle, and fat is what makes people's legs look chunky. Lose the fat and you reveal lean muscle, which in women looks "toned" - the less bodyfat you have, the more you will see muscle definition. MOst women seem to like the look at around 18-20% body fat, where your body looks firm and "toned", but not the really heavy muscle definition that you see at 13-15% body fat (though of course many like that look too, it's down to personal preference and how low you want to take your body fat percentage)

using heavier weights will not make your muscles get significantly bigger, but it will make them a lot stronger and make your bones a lot stronger and make it easier to lose the fat, and also if your muscles are atrophied (wasted away), then at lower levels of body fat you will still look soft and half starved, not the firm, lean look that most women want.

Leigh Peele's blog has a free download on body fat percentage, so you can see what men and women look at different body fat percentages, and also the difference between someone with and without muscle at the same body fat percentage. Many women are afraid to use heavy weights because they think they'll look like a female bodybuilder (not that there's anything wrong with how they look - personal preference....) but you won't look like that unless you go down to 13% body fat... the same amount of muscle on a woman but a higher percentage (18-20%) women look more like bikini models without all that muscle definition but still with a good overall shape and looking firm and "toned" rather than defined.

So yes, I think you should use heavier weights... use the heaviest weight you can, if you can do more than 12 reps, it's too heavy. Or do a programme which involves lifting heavier and heavier weights, such as stronlifts 5x5 or starting strength. Lots of women have seen a huge amount of success from these programmes and you can find threads with lots of before and after pics, like this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

Well said sir.... Heavy lifting for women usually does not = to bulk. Females lack hormones, which aids in the "bulking". It is very slim that a female will bulk from heavy lifting. Females will tone and shred BF. Some muscle will be built but it will be minimal. To top it off if you are at a caloric deficit you will also find it difficult, damn near impossible for male or female, to add mass. Give it a try for 12-16 weeks and see how you like it.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    40lbs and climbing. my goal is to squat my starting weight (180lbs)
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I was at 97 last week, today's leg day, hoping to do 102 today. :) I do 3x8
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Just hit 240! I can now squat nearly twice my weight. w00t!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have been trying more free weights after about five months on machines.. But I don't have a spotter and makes me afraid to increase weight, especially after I almost decapitated myself with a bench press

Ask someone in the gym to spot you. Most people are happy to help.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

Wow!
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't do traditional squats because of a weak/hurt lower back, but I do step ups and rear elevated split squats with 45s in each hand.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Dang girl!
    notworthy.gif

And based on your pic, you're clearly not bulky! Setting my goal to be as awesome as you someday. :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm using 15s right now, but thinking about moving up to 20s. I'm concerned that if I go much heavier, it will make my thighs bigger instead of leaner. I'm not sure there's any science to that thinking, though...

Is that 'stone'? You are squatting 280 pounds?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    GO STACI!!!! staci is a beast. read the story peoples- it's good

learn to do the roll of shame.

it's important esp if you lift alone to learn how to properly dump a weight- and yes- there are weighs to properly/safely dump weights.

But if you really need too- ask for a spotter. No shame at all. Almost any one will be willing to help you for a few reps.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    As heavy as I can. And then when I can do that, heavier.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

100 pound barbell. And I've lost 2 inches off my thighs.