Eating breakfast is making me hungrier

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm sure several other have said this - but I haven't the time to read all of the responces. Eating breakfast always made me hungrier, too. It is because it is jump-starting your metabolism. That is thoretically a good thing unless it makes you so hungry that you splurge and it defeats the purpose (has happened to me many times). What helps me is eating a HIGH PROTEIN and/or HIGH FIBER breakfast. I have been using GNC's Total Lean 25 shake (powder) - giving me 25 gram of protein to jump start my day -and I'm usually not hungry again until lunch time.

Also, avoid anything with sugar (even milk in your cereal is high in sugar). The sugar makes you hungrier quicker... protein & fiber keep you full longer.

good luck!

By "jump-starting your metabolism", are you saying that you believe your body actually burns more calories as a result?

Because I don't believe that has been demonstrated to be true.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    May well depend on WHAT we eat for breakfast. If my breakfast is high protein, low sugar, I tend to do better than if it is higher in carbs and sugars... Food is energy, therefore, if your activity level is high in the morning then you probably need more in the morning... if you are relatively sedentary, it may be better to wait to start the eating process.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Clearly you want to argue bringing out the studies If I wanted I could go back and tell you about peer reviewed studies on the people that lost more weight that ate breakfast versus the ones that did not, but I am not wasting my time and energy no longer on this, like I said I have no reason to prove anything to anyone that is all.

If you aren't interested wasting your time with debate and providing peer reviewed studies to support your assertions why keep coming back and wasting your time commenting that you don't care and aren't here to prove anything?
  • n32sanagar
    n32sanagar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    It gets your metabolism going, which is something we all want when we want to lose weight! I would still suggest eating breakfast, maybe something heavier if you can. Oatmeal, a banana and a protein?

Respectfully, while that theory is very popular, it has been disproven. I don't have the links to the (scientific) sources offhand, but I know someone on here will!

Just one source of many:
    http://workout.finishwellfitness.com/health-and-fitness/weight-loss-myth-you-must-eat-breakfast

Eat when you're hungry. If you're not hungry for breakfast, don't eat it.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with skipping breakfast if it's what you prefer. I notice the same thing with coffee, but if I have too much caffeine on an empty stomach I usually end up feeling sick!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    From experience, being a Registered Dietitian, I have seen MANY people that skip meals and staying under their estimated calorie limit and they ARE NOT losing weight AND from calorie standpoint they clearly should losing weight. The problem is the lack of frequency in eating throughout the day. When you eat more frequently FROM ALL food groups your body has to spend time breaking these foods down (fiber, proteins, carbs, fats, etc) which burns MORE calories and is essentially speeding up metabolism up! Breakfast revs up the metabolism in the morning by causing your digestive system to work and burn MORE calories. Who wouldn't want that?
    TEF is increased. Metabolism is defined as either catabolic or anabolic. You'll be hard pressed to find any peer reviewed clinical studies that indicate eating more frequently increases metabolism (with the exception of building lean muscle as the goal).
    Just curious again, who are you registered through?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That's okay if you all don't want to agree with me...I'm not here to argue. I enjoy helping people that's why I chose what I do in my career and I was just being kind and giving advice. I don't need to prove myself to anyone on here. If you don't agree with me that is perfectly fine, this is not a debate...do what you want I don't really care that's your choice.
    It should be a debate if you as a professional are supporting information that is incorrect in your field of work. I haven't met a RD yet that has agreed that frequent meals increases metabolism.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Clearly you want to argue bringing out the studies If I wanted I could go back and tell you about peer reviewed studies on the people that lost more weight that ate breakfast versus the ones that did not, but I am not wasting my time and energy no longer on this, like I said I have no reason to prove anything to anyone that is all.
    That's a correlative study. Not the same as a causation study.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Yogarunner21
    Options
    I wouldn't give up on breakfast yet. Try a breakfast with more protein and fiber (and a little healthy fat). That's much slower to digest than something like say cereal or a croissant with jam (the sugar in those will just digest immediately, leaving you hungry by 10am). A piece of whole grain bread with egg? a plain yogurt with some granola? A protein shake with a cup of berries or other fruit? a PB sandwich even?

Also try experimenting with your portion sizes. Something with a lot of protein and fiber can actually be a smaller serving size and still keep you full until lunch; but depending on how quickly you digest foods, you may want to try a slightly larger portion size, but either way, make sure your breakfast is high quality and nutritious.

I've personally always been a breakfast person, but from my own experience I've seen how much the quality of your breakfast matters. My fave breakfast growing up was chocolate croissants (we had a great local grocery that made them and my mom bought boxes, yes, I had much to learn as a kid), but I crashed from the sugar only a couple hours later and got hungry way before lunch. Now I have slightly larger breakfasts with a focus on food with protein and fiber.

I will say, in the off chance I get hungry for lunch, a handful of nuts + a small banana are a great morning snack. Plus the small portion of a snack keeps my metabolism going steady until lunch (instead spiking up and down).

Again, don't give up, just try other options! =)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    That's okay if you all don't want to agree with me...I'm not here to argue. I enjoy helping people that's why I chose what I do in my career and I was just being kind and giving advice. I don't need to prove myself to anyone on here. If you don't agree with me that is perfectly fine, this is not a debate...do what you want I don't really care that's your choice.

I'm not here to argue with you either but it would certainly appear as though the majority of research points to your advice being incorrect and consequently you're advising people to potentially do things that are not necessary. This carries a risk of reducing dietary adherence in individuals who may not have a lifestyle or preferences that align well with frequent feedings.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11319656
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21410984

Thanks for posting some useful information. I found something interesting in one of the abstracts of the third paper. Maybe it was human or test subject error? I wonder if there are more papers with the same results.

From experiment 6vs2 the difference between energy expenditure with six meals (10.00 MJ) and two meals (9.96 MJ) was not significant (P=0.88). Energy expenditure between 23:00 h and 08:00 h ('night') was, however, significantly higher (P=0.02) with two meals (9.12 MJ/24 h) compared with six meals (8.34 MJ/24 h).

• benapp21
    benapp21 Posts: 5
    Options
    lol whats up with people continually saying you should not eat 3-4 hours before bedtime. It all depends what you eat... carbs give your body energy right? so cut back on the carbs if you're about to go to bed... have little to no carbs if you want to eat before bed. 1-2 hour window is good even 30 minutes before bed depending on what you're eating is not bad at all. but it all depends how your body works. I know meal frequency isn't a huge issue when it related to how your metabolism works and etc but I like to go by eating every 2-3 hours. I feel good and satisfied when I'm doing this.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Breakfast makes me hungry all day. That's why I haven't eaten it in over 6 months. Look into intermittent fasting.

this
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    *kitten* Breakfast. Such a waste of cals for me half the time I've eaten it I wasn't hungry just did it because you're supposed to. Thank you science.
  • lindatoohey2
    Options
    most times you think your hungry, you usually need water, try drinking water,lots of small amounts,i have my porridge oats and a banana and most days i am fine but we all have off days
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    The majority of Americans eat breakfast and 1/3 of Americans are overweight. Therefore, breakfast makes you fat.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you notice that you eat more during the day give this experiment a try: Eat a small, 200 calorie breakfast that includes about 100 calories of a protein (example: greek yogurt with truvia, or egg whites) and 100 calories of a complex carb or fruit (example: oatmeal, banana). IF you continue to eat more later, then find a better method that works for you.

Having a meal with protein to start the day keeps my hunger artificially low. If I eat something that's just sugar I'll be hungry within two hours, and will probably eat a lot more later. So definitely consider the amount of calories in the meal and the macro nutrient ratio (carb vs. protein vs. fat).
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Simple rule if it isn't broke don't fix it... Breakfast works for me... If it doesn't work for you don't try to make it! Own the truth of who you are and how your body works... Figure out what works and what doesn't work for you and keep doing the things that work and adjusting things that don't work.

Agreed. Just make sure to eat nutritious food and have those calories in balance with the calories out over time, and you're good to go. The best way to accomplish that, however, varies greatly from person to person.
  • hawaii86442
    hawaii86442 Posts: 167
    Options
    I so agree-since we can not see the diary. I could assume she doesn't eat a healthy breakfast.
  • hawaii86442
    hawaii86442 Posts: 167
    Options
    --and not to be mean,but, it does some self control to monitor your eating habits.