Eating breakfast is making me hungrier

Options

Replies

• sammi674
    sammi674 Posts: 41
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with not wanting breakfast. Breakfast works for me because I'm not much of a snacker, so it's the only time where I can get most of my protein through eggs and greek yogurt. I'm never hungry right when I wake up, but after an hour of being awake that's when I'm ready for breakfast. I don't see why anyone would HAVE to eat. If you're sticking to your calorie range, it makes no difference.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Come on you guys!
    Breakfast is the best part of the day!
    I eat a big breakfast pretty much every day because I am hungry when I wake up, I fill my belly and feel happy for all the morning until it starts rumbling again.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Breakfast does nothing for your metabolism, But it is important to eat in the morning for good brain function. Does not have to be alot. Only thing that changes metabolism is MOVING!!

Studies show significantly better brain function/learning and productivity amongst those who have breakfast.
    That's why there are now program's in New Zealand to fund breakfast for students from poor communities.
    Increasing protein at breakfast will reduce those earlier hunger pangs. Especially once your body gets used to having breakfast. Oh, and I you don't wake hungry, try reducing your evening consumption or eat dinner earlier.

What studies?

Studies done with kids who don't get enough food at home?

I'm doing 18:6 most days, sometimes 20:4, and my brain function is not impaired. Maybe when I wasn't used to it, I was distracted, but not anymore.

I'd love to see these "studies". I'm a big believer in school breakfast programs, but I also do 18:6 for myself. Big difference, because I am not having food security issues.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Whenever I don't eat breakfast, I eat more snacks during the day and I get more cravings. Maybe it depends on what you eat for breakfast. If it contains a lot of fiber, then it will do you good.
  • celia4711
    celia4711 Posts: 15
    Options
    Don't eat it. I used to and by 12pm I was ravenous. Now i drink tea/coffee and I'm good till 1-2pm
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Though you probably shouldn't eat only when you get hungry. You need to eat to prevent yourself from getting hungry, or you'll get those cravings of high calorie food.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Though you probably shouldn't eat only when you get hungry. You need to eat to prevent yourself from getting hungry, or you'll get those cravings of high calorie food.

My cravings for high calorie food are totally appropriate. I have 4-6 hours to eat whole lot of calories, sometimes in the 3000 range if I am spending the day bike riding and looking for mushrooms for fun. A normal workout is about 500 cals for me. That means to run a 500 cal deficit I need to eat 2050 in 4-6 hours.

Eating this way has given me more control over what goes in my mouth, not less.

Important though: as Martin Berkhan points out, all the science in the world, and Internet theories, don't constitute a good reason to change something that is working optimally. So if breakfast, small meals, or whatever works for you, don't change it.
  • GJRicketts
    GJRicketts Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Why stick to the "standard" regimented three meals per day. Genetically we're built to graze, eating when we can hunt/gather food. Most bodybuilders eat about 6 times per day - yes I know this is a weight loss site, but the theory is sound - eat regularly and spread your food through small meals throughout the day (emphasis on the word small here). Your body will recognize a steady income of calories, not go into 'starvation mode' where it stores fat, increase metabolism and therefore stimulate fat loss at the same time.

I know. I did it and still do it now. I've done years without breakfast and gained weight from it! As soon as I began eating regular small meals throughout the day, I began to lose weight and here's the rub - I never changed what I ate! MFP gives me my calories per day and I spread my food throughout it, I just exercised strict portion control and began to exercise again. Yes my diary still shows 3 meals per day plus snacks - that's just my fault for not re-organizing to match my actual eating habits. My fiancée has done the very same thing and lost a shed load of weight and dropping three dress sizes, most of which has been within the last 65 days on MFP at a steady 2 ish lbs per week.

Have a breakfast, have a mid morning snack, have lunch, have a mid afternoon snack, have your evening meal and have supper. NO ONE SAID SNACKS HAVE TO BE CHOCOLATE, CHIPS, JUNK FOOD AND OTHER RUBBISH! It's your body, you choose what to put into it and how to fuel it. You're already using this site so I know you care, maybe - just maybe this can work for you too.

Good luck to all MFP users!
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Why stick to the "standard" regimented three meals per day. Genetically we're built to graze, eating when we can hunt/gather food. Most bodybuilders eat about 6 times per day - yes I know this is a weight loss site, but the theory is sound - eat regularly and spread your food through small meals throughout the day (emphasis on the word small here). Your body will recognize a steady income of calories, not go into 'starvation mode' where it stores fat, increase metabolism and therefore stimulate fat loss at the same time.

I know. I did it and still do it now. I've done years without breakfast and gained weight from it! As soon as I began eating regular small meals throughout the day, I began to lose weight and here's the rub - I never changed what I ate! MFP gives me my calories per day and I spread my food throughout it, I just exercised strict portion control and began to exercise again. Yes my diary still shows 3 meals per day plus snacks - that's just my fault for not re-organizing to match my actual eating habits. My fiancée has done the very same thing and lost a shed load of weight and dropping three dress sizes, most of which has been within the last 65 days on MFP at a steady 2 ish lbs per week.

Have a breakfast, have a mid morning snack, have lunch, have a mid afternoon snack, have your evening meal and have supper. NO ONE SAID SNACKS HAVE TO BE CHOCOLATE, CHIPS, JUNK FOOD AND OTHER RUBBISH! It's your body, you choose what to put into it and how to fuel it. You're already using this site so I know you care, maybe - just maybe this can work for you too.

Good luck to all MFP users!

tumblr_md1je7jIpl1rt28ph.gif
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast IS important and the fact that you're hungry shortly after means you didn't have enough fat/protein with your breakfast or that your metabolism has kicked in and is telling you that it NEEDS food. Food is your friend, not your enemy.

This. Without reading the rest of the thread or the debates on metabolisms or IF or not eating breakfast. If you are hungry, eat food. Stop thinking you need to starve yourself in order to lose weight. NOT eating breakfast so that you WONT be hungry is NOT normal behaviour. At all.
  • sunsys
    sunsys Posts: 1
    Options
    So don't eat breakfast. Do a warrior-diet thing. Or leangains. Or fast-5. Or any one of the many other fasting style diets with eating windows that suits you best!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I don't know who's worse. . .

The don't eat breakfast because it will make you fat crowd or the don't skip breakfast because it will make you fat crowd.

Also, this thread has made me lose what little faith I have in registered dietitians.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    For me, I have to eat a breakfast filled with protein/carbs. I work out at 9:15am so I need that extra energy to push through a work out.

I always treat breakfast as #1..it's what gets me started each morning. I have so much energy from it and my kids enjoy their mom being in a good mood instead of lazy grouchy mommy.
  • DietitianAprilDawn
    Options
    GOOD LUCK finding a registered dietitian that will tell you that skipping breakfast is healthy! LOL. That is hilarious that is all. :noway:
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're an adult, you should be able to gauge your own performance and your own needs. As for me, if I don't have breakfast, I am tired and even a bit dizzy in the morning. If I eat breakfast, then I am alert, awake, and the morning is my most efficient work-time. If you tend to be tired in the morning, eating will help you wake up. This is the main reason why breakfast is important: research shows that people (children and adults both) perform better in the morning if they have breakfast. I guess I am pretty average that way.

I have no idea why eating in the morning makes you extremely hungry, but we all have our weirdnesses. I can't eat late at night, because if I do, I wake up extremely hungry, and will be hungry all the next day. If I go to bed hungry, it's much easier to control my eating the next day.

One explanation may be habit. New eating rhythms will throw you off, and you may experience the same effect as jet-lagged travellers do. When you eat at other times than normal, your body is confused, and you get hungry.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    GOOD LUCK finding a registered dietitian that will tell you that skipping breakfast is healthy! LOL. That is hilarious that is all. :noway:

Apparently registered dietitians don't bother to keep up with the progress of research, or are you misrepresenting yourself? The fact that someone who claims to have credentials would know nothing about IF tells me that it's a troll.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

I've already posted a comment from a Dietition on skipping breakfast two pages back, see link below. What's hilarious is you constantly coming back to this thread to defend your Dietitian status with the same old "I'm Dietitian so I'm right and you're wrong" approach. Do you ever have anything intelligent to say other than acting like a troll? I wouldn't be surprised if you graduated at the bottom of your class in 1965. It's 2013 lady!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/938489-intermittent-fasting
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I've already posted a comment from a Dietition on skipping breakfast two pages back, see link below. What's hilarious is you constantly coming back to this thread to defend your Dietitian status with the same old "I'm Dietitian so I'm right and you're wrong" approach. Do you ever have anything intelligent to say other than acting like a troll? I wouldn't be surprised if you graduated at the bottom of your class in 1965. It's 2013 lady!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/938489-intermittent-fasting

Not to mention her sending of PM's to people she disagrees with rather then adequately defending her position.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    What you eat for breakfast is important. If you load up on carbs first thing in the morning, then you'll be starving way before lunch. If you give yourself a balanced meal with protein, fresh fruits and veggies, and some complex carbs, then you should be fine. Almost every weight loss program that has proven results suggest that you eat every 2 to 3 hours to maintain your blood suger levels. That means you should plan to have a healthly snack between your major meals and you should stop eating at least 3 to 4 hours before bedtime.

And yet there's a 95% percent failure rate with long term weight loss success, even with these 'proven result weight loss programs'. Makes you go hmmm...
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    When I eat breakfast my stomach is growling and hurting by 9am. IDK why. I recently started having a protein bar for breakfast along w/ a lot of water...I hope it helps!