Population 311,591,917
    US Violent Crimes 2011 1,203,564
    Violent Crimes/100,000 386

Population 56,000,000
    UK Violent Crimes 2011 762,515
    Violent Crimes/ 100,000 1361
    *Ban on guns since 1997

Percentage higher than US 352.59%

Mass shootings (with five or more fatalities) in UK since gun ban of 1997: 1
    Total Fatalities: 12

Mass shootings (with five or more fatalities) in US since UK gun ban of 1997: 37
    Total Fatalities: 300

Percentage higher than UK: 2500%
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

And in those minutes, an unarmed person could be hurt or killed by the armed. I'd rather protect myself and my family instantly.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Population 311,591,917
    US Violent Crimes 2011 1,203,564
    Violent Crimes/100,000 386

Population 56,000,000
    UK Violent Crimes 2011 762,515
    Violent Crimes/ 100,000 1361
    *Ban on guns since 1997

Percentage higher than US 352.59%

Violent crimes or purely gun crimes?

One piece of this puzzle is the national rate of firearm-related murders, which is charted above. The United States has by far the highest per capita rate of all developed countries. According to data compiled by the United Nations, the United States has four times as many gun-related homicides per capita as do Turkey and Switzerland, which are tied for third. The U.S. gun murder rate is about 20 times the average for all other countries on this chart. That means that Americans are 20 times as likely to be killed by a gun than is someone from another developed country.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Having read the thread in full there seems to be one overriding conclusion:

If everyone around you has the right to own a gun, you feel you need a gun to feel safe.

If nobody around you has the right to own a gun, you don't feel you need a gun to feel safe.

Make of that what you will.

/thread

How many people that have been a victim of violent crime, and lived to tell about it, in turn arm themselves?

You can talk in the hypothetical all you want, but until you face a situation that shows you just how vulnerable you are, you are simply making assumptions.

I sincerely hope you never have your beliefs put to the test.
    i have. more than once.

and, kneejerk reactions aside, if i think it through rationally then i know for a fact that having a gun would not have helped me.

i might have felt safer before hand but it still would have happened.

by your standards, i have earned my right to an opinion.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I guess if ya'll want to ban guns, we'll have to ban butcher knives, meat cleavers, etc. too. I mean, some of ya'lls argument is that irresponsible gun owners shoot themselves, each other, leave it out for children to find, etc. Ok, people who are irresponsible with other weapons such as knives and meat cleavers can do damage too.

So if a child chokes on a toy or gives a toy to another child who chokes on it, are we going to ban toys, too????

no one here has suggested banning guns.
    Let me help the original poster in the quote out.

How about we impose more regulations on the above mentioned items? Is that pedantic enough for you?

Those items are not designed to kill, they can kill but it is not even close to be the same thing as a gun. Their purpose is not to kill. The sole purpose of a gun is to kill and therefore should be regulated.

I don't get it, I don't. Why is it ok to regulate guns even more, yet the groups that want more regulations on guns want less regulations on the morning after pills, or abortions, or voter identification??? Talk about killing? There were more deaths by abortions than guns. So the loss of life or being killed is not a valid argument.
  • sarahDickson501
    sarahDickson501 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

He killed her, stole her car and stole her guns. I don't think it would have matter where she kept them, he would have gotten them if he wanted them...and if not her guns, he would have just got them from some where else. OR...made a homemade bomb, or used the car to mow down as many people as he could. James Holmes, the Aurora shooter, had his apartment wired to blow up if anyone entered. Let's go out on a limb and just say that someone in the theater was carrying conceal, and before Holmes got his first shot off, he was stopped. His apartment was still wired to blow up. He wanted to cause damage, he wanted people dead. He's crazy and no amount of legislation or laws or bans or restrictions would stop him.

THIS
  • si74
    si74 Posts: 5
    Options
    How has this topic been allowed to go on for 2 hours and 9 pages? Where are the mods?
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Most countries where citizens do not have access to guns school shootings are unheard of.

Like China, you mean? Where they just stab them? Go ahead and Google "rash of school stabbings in China." I'll wait.

ETA: Just wanted to convey my thanks to Olivia for putting this thread out of its misery.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines includes this item:

16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums
    Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.