Weird/Funniest things you have seen at the Gym

Options
I could tell many stories and I have only been going for a month.

1- I was on the treadmill early in the morning and a woman that was two foot taller then a duck was running so fast. All of a sudden she lost her footing and fell. She did not have the stop cord attached to her so the treadmill was still going as she was holding on. All of a sudden she let go and it shot her off. It was like that commercial on TV. Poor woman

2- Last week on the treadmill a bigger woman was running with a white shirt on and no bra. I say bigger woman because her boobs must have been a DD. She was running like she was in the sound of music movie...running through the hills. I don't understand how that did not hurt?

Anyone else.......??

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Nothing quite that crazy. There is one really big girl who has been religiously using the elliptical machines in my gym. At first she was always wearing a camisole style shirt (just two straps across the shoulders) which was not terribly flattering for her but now she is wearing T-shirts. I think she had some that now finally fit. She's lost a noticable amount of weight so she gets big props from me for that.

Other than people doing ridiculously ignorant things in the weight room not much. Deadlifting heavy weight with a rounded back. Not doing full range of motion (*kitten* to ground on squats, etc) but that's not weird or funny, just sad. :)
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    My boobs are hurting just thinking about that second story, and mine aren't even that big. D:
  • bettepower
    bettepower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I fear I am going to show up in this thread.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The weirdest thing I ever saw at the gym was a bunch of people minding their own business and working out.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    this is so funny at about 2 mins & on, there is also a 2012 LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsDl79yElK0
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    There's a guy at my gym I call The Smiler. He has this huge "I just won the lottery" kind of smile ALL THE TIME. The other day he was on the recumbent bike and I was on the treadmill. I glanced over to him and he was smiling and waving at me. I waved back.....but then realized he was waving right hand, then left hand CONSTANTLY. I think he was thinking he was working his arms while riding the bike. All with his goofy smile on his face. I see him doing it all the time now and just shake my head.

Another guy I call Rep Man. He shouts out his reps on weights LOUDLY, for all the gym to hear. "ONE, TWO, THREE." I always have to turn my music up really loud when he's working out to drown him out. So obnoxious.
  • suki_j
    suki_j Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The weirdest thing I have ever seen at the gym is my face in the mirror when i'm trying to do weights. Hilarious
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I don't have any stories to tell, but one of my MFP friends once posted about a woman on the treadmill wearing a puffy vest and drinking a 20oz Pepsi!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add since I'm not much of a gym rat but I wanted to bump....
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    There's a guy at my gym I call The Smiler. He has this huge "I just won the lottery" kind of smile ALL THE TIME. The other day he was on the recumbent bike and I was on the treadmill. I glanced over to him and he was smiling and waving at me. I waved back.....but then realized he was waving right hand, then left hand CONSTANTLY. I think he was thinking he was working his arms while riding the bike. All with his goofy smile on his face. I see him doing it all the time now and just shake my head.

Another guy I call Rep Man. He shouts out his reps on weights LOUDLY, for all the gym to hear. "ONE, TWO, THREE." I always have to turn my music up really loud when he's working out to drown him out. So obnoxious.

Maybe he is listening to an audiobook. I do and it makes me smile the whole time.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

^^^ This!!! Yeah if I were in your place, I probably couldn't work out for laughing...uncontrollably. I'm one of those people that find other people's quirks absolutely hilarious...I would die at the guy yelling his reps. Wow.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    this is so funny at about 2 mins & on, there is also a 2012 LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsDl79yElK0

OMG, some of them are funny, and some are not so much. I didn't realize there was that much vomiting in weight lifting..lol
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the gym after work there is a guy on the treadmill who has it set at 13kph even though he clearly can't run that fast. He runs about 30 secs -1 min and then leaps his feet to the side puffing and panting for several minutes, before doing it again. I really want to tell him the treadmill has an interval program!
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I saw a young guy at the gym just two days ago that was wearing a super tight, rashguard like shirt that had the pattern of The Hulk - all the green muscles and everything. I couldn't stop laughing.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I don't have any stories to tell, but one of my MFP friends once posted about a woman on the treadmill wearing a puffy vest and drinking a 20oz Pepsi!

Seriously, what is up with that?

This doesn't happen at my current workplace gym, but at my old gym, the fancy, rich lady gym, I'd see the rich ladies on the treadmill with their starbucks.
  • SlimJanette
    Options
    There is another guy that wears the oversized tank tops with the sides cut out. He will lift weights, them look in the mirror. If his nipples are not out, he will twist them and say oh ya, daddy's lookin good. He is about 22. Weirdo!!
  • SlimJanette
    Options
    Every time I go to the gym after work there is a guy on the treadmill who has it set at 13kph even though he clearly can't run that fast. He runs about 30 secs -1 min and then leaps his feet to the side puffing and panting for several minutes, before doing it again. I really want to tell him the treadmill has an interval program!

This is hilarious....maybe you should tell him so he doesn't have a heart attack one day or sprain his ankle jumping off...lol
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I fear I am going to show up in this thread.

haha yeah me too.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Nothing too crazy, I was with my trainer once and during my exercise I had to stop and laugh because there was this guy next to me that kept grunting as he was doing pull ups. I'm not one to pay attention to other people or laugh at what they are doing, but he seriously sounded like he was having either the worst or the best sex of his life, it was seriously so obnoxious and loud!

Also as I was on the mats stretching one day, there was this average looking indian/middle eastern (i'm assuming) guy next to me who was doing the most.....'sensual' stretches I've ever seen coming from a man. I mean full on straddle, splits, back arches, 'happy baby' pose (PLEASE google this if you don't know what I'm talking about, yes he was doing this too), he was really going for it. I almost half expected him to whip out a blonde wig and stripper heels. Good for him that he wants to improve his flexibility, but I will admit it was really unexpected and funny to see it at the time.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Maybe not weird but very cute. My gym has in indoor track and lots of older (60 +) people like to walk laps especially in the mornings. There is this 1 couple that comes at the same time every day, they are probably older than 75 and the woman has trouble keeping her balance. Her husband regliously holds her hand throughout the entire walk. He never lets go not even once. Talk about true love! It is just so precious :D

Also, I love the 'weight tough guys" on the machines they put the weight really high like 150 pounds and then try to do 1 rep. When they finally do 1 rep they then get up and stretch it out and socialize for like 30 minutes before moving onto the next machine.

There is also another guy who slams the weight machines almost to the point they sound like he is going to break them.

I also really like the guys that move the weights to a higher weight than what they lifted just so the next person that sits down sees this really high weight.