I have been OFFENDED and everyone needs to KNOW IT!

Options

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in Canada and I'm cool with most stuff, but I don't like the way they pronounce pasta. They pronounce it like Past..ah, like Passta. I pronounce it pah-sta

Guuuuuuurl! It's totally Pass-ta! That's how we pronounce it in England :wink:

Although, Americans often say 'bay-zil' (Basil) instead of Bazz-ill. And Oh-rag-ah-no (Oregano) instead of or-a-gah-no.

It just ain't right. :sad:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa, just hold up a minute there!!! I say or-a-gah-no!! There is no rag in there! :wink:

The correct pronunciation is Or-EGG-uh-no.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I'm an American living in Canada and I'm cool with most stuff, but I don't like the way they pronounce pasta. They pronounce it like Past..ah, like Passta. I pronounce it pah-sta

Although, Americans often say 'bay-zil' (Basil) instead of Bazz-ill. And Oh-rag-ah-no (Oregano) instead of or-a-gah-no.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa, just hold up a minute there!!! I say or-a-gah-no!! There is no rag in there! :wink:

It's hard to describe. Maybe it's more about how Americans stress some of the syllables.

It's more like orraganoh.

Brits say it more like ora gah no.

That probably didn't explain it any better!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Oh, yeah. That's actually how I say it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I work in Bangor Maine. That's Bang-gore, not Banger. THERE IS NO FREAKIN' E IN THERE! Sales reps call it Banger (as in Bang-ger) all the time.

I would do the same. Everytime. On purpose.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

That's how I say it and I've actually never heard anyone pronounce it differently.
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Can you well-spoken Americans please explain to me why you say 'jagwire' for jaguar? It's jag-you-are.

3q9gol.jpg
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I have major issues when the wrong "there/their/they're" is used.

So do I.
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m35oepoG9E1rqapxto1_400.gif

I still think they meant "wretched" & not "ratchet," but to each their own.
  • Brazilll
    Brazilll Posts: 503
    Options
    How about affidavid? I just heard this on TV.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If Weber were pronounced with the long E like OP asserts, then there would be an I in the word. It would be spelled "Wieber".

You need an I to make the long E sound in words that begin with W and B.

I didn't make the rules. I just merely follow them because I am smart.

However, because OP is not wholly unattractive, he can be forgiven for his misunderstanding of how pronunciation works in English. It's ok, OP. Lots of people rely on their looks.

:flowerforyou:
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I work in Bangor Maine. That's Bang-gore, not Banger. THERE IS NO FREAKIN' E IN THERE! Sales reps call it Banger (as in Bang-ger) all the time.

Haha I live in Maine also. I think it's the accent... most people have trouble pronouncing/enunciating it.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    People not from MA that do this:

For Worcester: "Wor-chester" or "Worse-ester" when it's pronounced "Woo-ster".
    Leominster: "Leo-minse-ster" it's "Lemon-ster"

All the "sters" are just not right. I suppose if I weren't from MA I would probably butcher them too.

My husband says chimney as "Chim-in-ee". The word is not that hard to sound out!

"Irregardless"- Don't say this around me! A woman at work does this and I correct her every time (of course, she talks in baby talk also so she just shouldn't be allowed to talk...). The woman is past 60, why must you babble?
  • emtjmac
    Options

I would do the same. Everytime. On purpose.

Hey, no hatin' on Maine! I love that place!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If Weber were pronounced with the long E like OP asserts, then there would be an I in the word. It would be spelled "Wieber".

You need an I to make the long E sound in words that begin with W and B.

I didn't make the rules. I just merely follow them because I am smart.

However, because OP is not wholly unattractive, he can be forgiven for his misunderstanding of how pronunciation works in English. It's ok, OP. Lots of people rely on their looks.

:flowerforyou:

I hope to rely only on my looks someday and never have to use my brain again.
  • emtjmac
    Options
    People not from MA that do this:

For Worcester: "Wor-chester" or "Worse-ester" when it's pronounced "Woo-ster".
    Leominster: "Leo-minse-ster" it's "Lemon-ster"

All the "sters" are just not right. I suppose if I weren't from MA I would probably butcher them too.

My husband says chimney as "Chim-in-ee". The word is not that hard to sound out!

"Irregardless"- Don't say this around me! A woman at work does this and I correct her every time (of course, she talks in baby talk also so she just shouldn't be allowed to talk...). The woman is past 60, why must you babble?

Does she babble in baby-talk to herself?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Teenagers writing in SMS language on Facebook offend me.
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I hat it wen peepole can't use your langage rite. How due there parants stand conversating wit dem? Won has two wondar were they all went too skool. Or iffing they lernt sumthing. Their shood bee a app four this problem. Its a sham. What's they're problem? Tnx fore listinin.
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    Can you well-spoken Americans please explain to me why you say 'jagwire' for jaguar? It's jag-you-are.

I've a lot of non-American friends, a few of whom are avid car lovers. I've been pronouncing it Jag-u-ar even before meeting these guys. :D
  • peachfigs
    Options

Oh, yeah. That's actually how I say it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWKiBW49DaE

This chick pronounces it our way!
  • emtjmac
    Options
    Teenagers writing in SMS language on Facebook offend me.

Your indignation is indisputably righteous.