While we're at it... STOP hating on Pop Tarts

Options

Replies

• metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I've simply never liked them. Lock me in a room alone with a jar of Nutella, though. That thing is GONE!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm learning that some foods are just not worth the high calorie counts. 500 calories for 2 big cookies? FORGET IT. I'd rather eat two to three other types of food to reach that number: like fruit, popcorn, etc.

Pop Tarts are one of those foods I think isn't worth the calorie count. If you eat two of them, and are still hungry, then what good are they if they aren't filling you up?

If I'm going to eat 500 cals, I want it to keep me from getting hungry again until it's time to eat again.

Meh.

I agree. I'll add that I'd rather have something worth eating, like home made gingerbread. :)
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    They are full of chemicals, GMO ingredients, and general crap. Why would you want to put that into your body when there are so many better things for you that are just as delicious and satisfying. I had some fresh organic berries this morning from a local farm that were better than any Pop-Tart could ever dream of being.

Sorry but I can't eat 2000 calories of berries. Not saying pop-tarts are nutritious but they serve their purpose of not being disgusting and packing in tons of carbs with minimal fat.

I love the Strawberry oatmeal and Oreo ones. I've tried the confetti and red velvet but I didn't really like them. I didn't even know about Peanut Butter! Gotta find those.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    *You* shouldn't enjoy two a day, because *I* can't fit two a day into *my* plan. Seems like basic logic to me.
  • Annerk1
    Options
    They are full of chemicals, GMO ingredients, and general crap. Why would you want to put that into your body when there are so many better things for you that are just as delicious and satisfying. I had some fresh organic berries this morning from a local farm that were better than any Pop-Tart could ever dream of being.

Sorry but I can't eat 2000 calories of berries. Not saying pop-tarts are nutritious but they serve their purpose of not being disgusting and packing in tons of carbs with minimal fat.

I love the Strawberry oatmeal and Oreo ones. I've tried the confetti and red velvet but I didn't really like them. I didn't even know about Peanut Butter! Gotta find those.

Not being disgusting is subjective. I can think of a lot healthier options with a lot less fat and far healthier ingredients. Most of which would require actually spending some time baking. One thing that comes to mind is a Tuscan bread made with olive oil and whole grains. I also have a cinnamon applesauce bread I make that is delicious and very healthy.
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Every time I walk past the display for peanut butter poptarts I have to turn my head the other way.....that sounds so yummy!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Not being disgusting is subjective. I can think of a lot healthier options with a lot less fat and far healthier ingredients. Most of which would require actually spending some time baking. One thing that comes to mind is a Tuscan bread made with olive oil and whole grains. I also have a cinnamon applesauce bread I make that is delicious and very healthy.

Much less fat than <5 g? Also, fat doesn't make you fat.
  • Annerk1
    Options

Per serving, yes. It's not just the fat, it's the other crap--like preservatives-- that they put in those. There's a reason they have a long shelf life.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Ain't nothin' wrong with the humble Pop Tart (ok, maybe there is for us vegetarians, because some of them are actually made from rendered pork fat or something. Yuck.) The point being--if you want one, and have otherwise satisfied your daily nutrient requirements, and they don't throw you over your daily calorie allotment, WHY NOT???
  • Annerk1
    Options
    Ain't nothin' wrong with the humble Pop Tart (ok, maybe there is for us vegetarians, because some of them are actually made from rendered pork fat or something. Yuck.) The point being--if you want one, and have otherwise satisfied your daily nutrient requirements, and they don't throw you over your daily calorie allotment, WHY NOT???

I don't give a hoot if people want to eat them, but I find it crazy that people are acting like they are a healthy addition to food intake.
  • almc170
    Options

I don't give a hoot if people want to eat them, but I find it crazy that people are acting like they are a healthy addition to food intake.
    Once again, you miss the point :flowerforyou:
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    i want those peanut butter chocolate pop tarts so bad. but i live in new zealand and cant find them online anywhere that will ship them here :(
  • Eddiethesecond
    Options
    Haven't had a Pop Tart in at least a decade and haven't missed them. Just saying. If they're your guilty pleasure, then go for it!
  • Annerk1
    Options

What point did I miss? Am I wrong saying that there are far healthier options with the same macros?
  • almc170
    Options

What point did I miss? Am I wrong saying that there are far healthier options with the same macros?
    Oy. So, yeah, if you've hit your daily macro/calorie requirements, you can basically eat whatever you want. Frankly, I prefer to fill mine in with wine. There might be "healthier" options, but your body doesn't really know the difference.
  • Annerk1
    Options

Oy. So, yeah, if you've hit your daily macro/calorie requirements, you can basically eat whatever you want. Frankly, I prefer to fill mine in with wine. There might be "healthier" options, but your body doesn't really know the difference.

Sure it does. Your glass of wine (if it's red) has antioxidants. That's just one example.
  • almc170
    Options

Sure it does. Your glass of wine (if it's red) has antioxidants. That's just one example.
    Lol, I don't drink wine for the antioxidants.
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I can't eat poptarts because I'M ADDICTED! I just have to stay away because they stare at me until I eat the whole box. And even having one is 200 calories and they don't fill me up at all. I do have them occasionaly on long run days because I burn so many calories but otherwise they are VERY dangerous for me. Worse than ice cream cake. I especially like the new oatmeal brown sugar ones.....MMMHMM HEAVEN!

Thanks a lot, I was already craving sweet things today!
  • xLoveLexi
    xLoveLexi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sure, they taste good and all, but now a days I just don't find them all that appealing. And have you seen that ingredients list? I look at that and say, "What the heck am I putting into my body?" Sugar, sugar, sugar. Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather not suffer through the guilt trip. And knowing that the serving size is smaller than what is in a package... that just makes me angry. How am I only supposed to eat one pop tart if the package has two?! Not worth the calories, and it just makes me hungrier. But hey, everyone has their guilty pleasures, pop tarts just aren't my thing.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Per serving, yes. It's not just the fat, it's the other crap--like preservatives-- that they put in those. There's a reason they have a long shelf life.

Shelf life of less than six months is long? Damn better ditch the canned vegetables with the ingredient list of veggie, water, salt.