Group LLC (Livin Low Carb) - August 2010

Options

Replies

• dmalbrand
    dmalbrand Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets definitley work the best for me. Are any of you watching calories or fat while your doing atkins?? i know in the past all i looked at was the carbs....but should i be looking at calories and fat also?
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets definitley work the best for me. Are any of you watching calories or fat while your doing atkins?? i know in the past all i looked at was the carbs....but should i be looking at calories and fat also?

Hi dmalbrand! I don't count my calories or fat at all-I have my calorie intake set fairly high and then everything else set accordingly so I don't worry about it. I don't think that anyone wants to exceed the fat limits TOO much but I really don't know a whole lot about that. I generally exceed MFPs fat intake by 20 grams or so daily but don't worry about it because it's coming from good sources. :smile:
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options

I'm not going super low carb, doing something similar to the Zone diet but I watch calories and carbs. As long as I keep my carbs at 40% or less, I don't go over my calories. I feel less hungry after following it for a few days. Good luck!
  • Hockey_Mom
    Options
    Ok LLC folks, I have a question. I have been very encouraged today because it has been super easy to stay below my calorie intake (I still have 537 available and that is including my dinner!). My issue is that, although I haven't eaten ANY sugar or any starchy carbs, my carb count is a little higher than I would like it. I believe I am at 49 for today including dinner, and all but 4 of those carbs have come from veggies (lettuce, tomato, spinach, and green peppers). I am sure there are veggies out there that are lower carb, but these are some of the staple veggies in my house because we get them from our garden. I still seem to be losing weight, but would it be more beneficial for me to limit my veggies too?
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Ok LLC folks, I have a question. I have been very encouraged today because it has been super easy to stay below my calorie intake (I still have 537 available and that is including my dinner!). My issue is that, although I haven't eaten ANY sugar or any starchy carbs, my carb count is a little higher than I would like it. I believe I am at 49 for today including dinner, and all but 4 of those carbs have come from veggies (lettuce, tomato, spinach, and green peppers). I am sure there are veggies out there that are lower carb, but these are some of the staple veggies in my house because we get them from our garden. I still seem to be losing weight, but would it be more beneficial for me to limit my veggies too?

Hockey Mom - ok, are those actual carbs or net carbs? If you've pulled that number from your MFP food diary, it's probably actual carbs. You need to subtract the grams of fiber from that - it's probably way less than that number! If you can't see fiber on your food diary, you can go into your settings and choose to show it as a column in your diary. Let me know if you need more detailed steps to change that!
  • Resalyn
    Options

Well, according to the book you really don't have to count calories, BUT they do give some guidelines that women should take in approximately 1600-1800 calories a day. (I think that's the range, I know 1800 is the high end for sure....) I'm doing something close to what Talandi is doing - I actually went in and set my "goals" to read 35% carb, 35% protein, and 30% fat. I also set my threshold for calories at 1800 and try to keep it all within those parameters. I got on the scale this morning and it looks like I lost about 4 pounds since Friday. It seems to be working for me!
  • saverys_gal
    Options

Hockey Mom - ok, are those actual carbs or net carbs? If you've pulled that number from your MFP food diary, it's probably actual carbs. You need to subtract the grams of fiber from that - it's probably way less than that number! If you can't see fiber on your food diary, you can go into your settings and choose to show it as a column in your diary. Let me know if you need more detailed steps to change that!

I definitely agree with Resalyn! Make sure you're doing your net carb count! If your carb count is still a bit high, take a look at what veggies you are eating and the quantity. Tomatoes are not one of the best ones, at least initially, but I really don't think eating a small serving will hurt you at all! Especially while you are enjoying them fresh from your garden!
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Made some Muffin in a Minute - otherwise known as MIMs. Hubby and I each had one - pretty darn easy recipe, see below....

I made one orange one and one raspberry one. We both thought the raspberry one was better.....

2 teaspoons butter or coconut oil (see my comments below)
    2 tablespoons flax meal
    2 tablespoons almond flour
    1 tablespoon Da Vinci sugar free syrup, vanilla or flavor of your choice
    1 egg
    1/8 teaspoon baking powder *
    1 teaspoon orange extract
    Pinch salt **

Melt the butter or coconut oil in a cup in the microwave, about 20 seconds. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Scrape down the batter from the sides of the cup. Microwave on HIGH 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until just set.

Makes 1 serving
    Can be frozen

* Ruthi called for 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder but I decided to try using just 1/8 teaspoon to save one carb. After more experimentation, I found that the baking powder isn't needed at all and I will leave it out from now on.

** If you're using coconut oil or unsalted butter, add the pinch of salt.

Per Serving: 294 Calories; 25g Fat; 12g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
  • Hockey_Mom
    Options
    Thanks Resalyn...that made enough of a difference for me!
  • Hockey_Mom
    Options

I definitely agree with Resalyn! Make sure you're doing your net carb count! If your carb count is still a bit high, take a look at what veggies you are eating and the quantity. Tomatoes are not one of the best ones, at least initially, but I really don't think eating a small serving will hurt you at all! Especially while you are enjoying them fresh from your garden!

Thank you guys! The net carb thing definitely helped, and so did the one about the tomatoes...probably wise to think about making my garden tomatoes into salsa or something to save for later!
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Hey, LCers!

Did some batch cooking today. Money is a little tight, so DH and I are taking our lunch every day - salads, yum! I bought a big family pack of boneless chicken breasts at Walmart today - about $10. I cut all the fat off, and put them in foil-lined metal baking pans. I then sprinkled them liberally with Mrs. Dash - one pan with Herb/Onion, and the other pan with Tomato Basil. Then baked them for about 45 mins at 300 or 325. Came out SO moist. We all had dinner (the chicken and steamed veggies) and the leftover breasts (about one pan full) I cut up and put in snack-pack sized ziplocs. Each ziploc is one serving and goes great on a salad.

That saves about $25 for me for the week, and about $30 for my hubby - so minus the 10 I spent on the chicken, that's a total savings of $45 for the week - enough to fill the tank of my car, yay! Had unexpected visitors, so didn't have time to process the lettuce in my spinner, will have to take care of that in the morning....

Ok, I spose I better head to bed! Y'all have a wonderful night!
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Hola, Group LLC! Happy Tuesday!

Back at work today. Ended up taking all yesterday off - my 14 yo got some teeth out (in preparation for her braces) and I thought she'd be okay by noon to stay at home by herself - no luck. She was totally loopy after the procedure and ended up sleeping almost the entire day away. So I was home all day. Tons of stuff to catch up on here at work, too! Job security, right? LOL.

Brought a salad w/ chicken for lunch today and a SF Jello cup. Yum! Brat burgers and hamburgers on the grill tonight.....
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    Hola, Group LLC! Happy Tuesday!

Back at work today. Ended up taking all yesterday off - my 14 yo got some teeth out (in preparation for her braces) and I thought she'd be okay by noon to stay at home by herself - no luck. She was totally loopy after the procedure and ended up sleeping almost the entire day away. So I was home all day. Tons of stuff to catch up on here at work, too! Job security, right? LOL.

Brought a salad w/ chicken for lunch today and a SF Jello cup. Yum! Brat burgers and hamburgers on the grill tonight.....

Thanks for the revised MIM recipe! Sounds like a winner to me! I'll eat the original if I'm really craving something different, but it's really just to plain and bran like for my liking. I'll have to look into the sugar free syrups!
    I also buy the huge packages of chicken breasts at Wal-Mart! They are a total money saver and I also do foil packets with them-one of my faves is to top them with some cilantro, hot peppers and some salsa and corn if you're on that side of the low carb fence yet, wrap it all up in foil, toss in oven or on the grill and top with a bit of cheese and sour cream or guac even-soooo good! I like to have mine with a side of black soybeans! A delicious low carb dinner!!

Hockey_Mom: on the tomatoes...I would still eat them! Just experiment and see how maybe not eating them for a week affects your weight loss. I can't eat fruit at all due to the sugar content...it totally stalls my weight loss! So if I want fruit I eat a very small serving once or twice a week and it will stay that way until I hit maintenance mode! But that's how my body works. :smile:
  • MrsNeuman
    Options
    Morning started out great! Small omelet made with 2 whole eggs, some white cheese, and some onions and green pepper. Now I'm enjoying my coffee made with splenda and some whipped topping :) Hoping to have some parmesan crusted tilapia today. Here's the recipe I use. I don't add all those spices tho (because I don't have them on hand), just some pepper and garlic salt. I usually add more parmesan than they call for too.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/broiled-tilapia-parmesan/Detail.aspx

:) Day two low carb here we come!
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    Morning started out great! Small omelet made with 2 whole eggs, some white cheese, and some onions and green pepper. Now I'm enjoying my coffee made with splenda and some whipped topping :) Hoping to have some parmesan crusted tilapia today. Here's the recipe I use. I don't add all those spices tho (because I don't have them on hand), just some pepper and garlic salt. I usually add more parmesan than they call for too.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/broiled-tilapia-parmesan/Detail.aspx

:) Day two low carb here we come!

Thanks for sharing the recipe MrsNeuman! I may have to try that! I have a lot of frozen tilapia in the freezer and am clueless on what to do with it...and it sounds super yummy coated in parmesan!
    Hope your day 2 is going great! :drinker:
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I had a wonderful salad today for lunch. I know salads can get boring, but I was so pleasantly surprised by this one. If you have a Pita Pit nearby - go there. You can get any pita "fork style" - as a salad instead of in a pita. I got mine with tuna on it, and it was yummy flakey tuna - not tuna salad drowning in mayo. Yummmmm. :)
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hey girls, i will like to join to this group, i am also taking care of my carb intake because i'm following the ratios of the p90x program, 45% protein, 25% carbs, 30% fat!....We can share recipes and ideas!...
  • Resalyn
    Options
    Welcome Nutrigaby! We're a new group, but goin strong already! I respect you for doing the P90X, boy is that tough, I've heard! Maybe someday I'll be able to handle that much exercise. How long have you been eating low carb?

LMR - wish we had a Pita Pit here - that sounds really good right now!

Savery - I'll try that salsa trick w/ the chicken. I have used salsa with ground turkey, but never tried it with chicken before.... How do you cook the soybeans?

Mrs. Neumann - Tilapia isn't my favorite, but I love parmesan, hmmmm, might have to try that some time!

It is so ungodly hot here that I've been feeling sick most of the afternoon, but feeling a bit better now and kinda hungry. Have some brat burgers in the fridge, will have to cook those up on the Foreman grill, and steam some veggies - I do love my veggies with butter! I found a great website with low-carb recipes....

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
  • peewee0320
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this site. I started low carb last week and already lost 5 lbs. I've done low carb before and it definitely works. I have a recipe for a pizza I made myself, and I'm sure some of you may already have done this. I find it very appetizing when I crave a slice of pizza.

A low carb wrap (7 carbs)
    some tomato sauce
    cheese
    bacon bits
    veggies or whatever toppings you want.
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    Morning LLC friends!

I'm going to try the parmesan tilapia tonight! Yum-o!

Resalyn-the black soybeans are canned; I either toss them in what I'm cooking or microwave them until warm. A word of warning though-they don't have a lot of flavor! If you cook them with something they will absorb that flavor, but if you cook them separately, make sure to season them up! :smile: