How To Lose Weight Without Dieting (-112 pounds) tips

Options
Hi guys,

I have a blog, and decided to post up some of my weight loss tips. I thought I'd share it here as well! I hope you enjoy and can use some of the information. I will copy and paste it below, from my blog StephTheBookworm (hence the references to MFP).

How to Lose Weight Without Dieting (or, How I lost 112 Pounds Without Starving or Going Crazy)

As many of you know, I have been on a weight loss journey since January 2012. In this timeframe, I have lost 112 pounds (and counting), met my fiance, became a (slow) runner, and managed to gain the slightest bit of confidence that I never had before. My goal is to lose a total of 140 pounds, so I’ve got 28 pounds to go. So far, I’ve gone from a size 22, to a size 8/10 (not plus size anymore – hooray!). My BMI has gone from morbidly obese, to obese, to merely overweight. I’ve run a 15k (9.3 miles). I’ve exchanged my wedding dress for a smaller one, and have gotten my engagement ring resized down. I’ve done all kinds of things I never thought I’d ever do. I’m the smallest I have ever been in my adult life. I’m shopping in regular stores now. I’m wearing regular sizes. Sometimes I still struggle when I look in the mirror, but I’m a work in progress.

Everyone always asks how I’m doing it, and it’s not a secret. Some people are disappointed to hear there is no easy way out or secret pill, but many people want to listen. For those people, I’ve given advice many times, and I’m always happy to do so. I figured I’d compile that list of advice here so I can always refer people back to it. Some of my methods may seem a little unconventional, but I’m here to tell you: this is what has worked for me. This is how I found success. I am not a health nut, I am not an athlete, and I am not super strict. I am an average, every day, formerly morbidly obese girl. While some might argue that I AM on a diet, I’m not. To me, diets are temporary and extreme. What I’m doing is not temporary – it is a permanent lifestyle change that I have managed to maintain for 16 months already. It is not extreme, it’s just my new life. So, without further ado, here are my tips on how to lose weight without dieting!

1. Count your calories - know what you are eating and log everything that you’re putting into your mouth. I use MyFitnessPal (myfitnesspal.com – though I mostly use the phone app) to track my daily caloric count, which includes the calories I eat and the calories I burn with exercise. Be honest with yourself, and track your food! It doesn’t matter if it’s good or bad, but track it! Use portion control – this was key for me! Also, as a sidenote – I met my fiance on MyFitnessPal – see, becoming healthy has changed my life in more ways than one.

2. Exercise – this one seems like a given, but seriously, get off your butt and move! When I first started, I could only do the elliptical for 6 minutes – and that was okay! I did what I could to start, and now I could work out for hours if I wanted to. Start small and keep building up. I currently work out 4 days a week for about an hour each time. This includes going to the gym and doing a lot of cardio with some weights, or going for a run. I started with short work outs though, and that’s okay – as long as you’re moving! Don’t overdo it, but still push yourself! When I first started, I was working out 7 days a week. After awhile, I realized that was too much, and it was not something I could keep up with for the rest of my life, so now I work out 4 days a week because, realistically, I can maintain that for the duration of my life.

3. Food Scale - if you can afford it, I would highly recommend you get a food scale. They’re fairly inexpensive (about $20 on Amazon), and they will change your whole perspective on food. Weigh everything that you can, and log accordingly. Most food will have a serving size in grams or ounces, so follow that. I weigh my food so that I know exactly how much I’m eating and how many calories to log. If I’m not eating at home, I do my best to guess on the calories and amount, but when I’m home, I’m weighing all my food. I also weigh my lunches before work and then pack them up.

4. Heart Rate Monitor - this is another tool that, if you can afford it, I would highly recommend you get. My HRM is currently in need of repair, but it’s a real lifeline for me when I’m working out. As I said, on MyFitnessPal, you log the calories you eat as well as the calories you burn. When you burn calories, you obviously get to eat more, so the HRM helps me figure out exactly how many calories I burned with my exercise and therefore how many calories I can/should eat on a workout day. I generally eat back about 50-80% of my exercise calories.

5. Cheat Meals - this is a huge one for me and one of the most important tips I can give you. Once a week, I have a cheat meal. That means that my fiance and I go out to dinner once a week and eat whatever we want and don’t log the calories. This not only gives us something to look forward to, but prevents us from going crazy. Listen, I guarantee you that if I didn’t have cheat meals where I allowed myself to indulge once a week, that I would not have stuck with this for 16+ months. How did I get fat in the first place? Because I love food! If I denied myself this stuff all the time, I would have thrown in the towel, but since I always know I have a delicious meal to look forward to every week, I’m able to stay on track the rest of the week. Yes, I have lost over 100 pounds and still have cheat meals. It really helps.

6. Don’t deny yourself - kind of going along with the cheat meals… don’t deny yourself the stuff you love, even on non-cheat days. If you can fit it into your daily calories, I say go for it. Many people look at macros and whatnot, but for me, I only look at calories, and this works for me. I have a wicked sweet tooth, and I have something sweet almost every day. If I want a cookie, I’m going to have one… I’m just not going to have three of them like I used to, you know what I’m saying? Again, if I denied myself yummy stuff, I would have quit long ago. I’m of the belief that if it fits into your calorie goals, then go for it! If not, then wait for another day when you have extra calories left. Seriously, when I’m at work and I’m doing the shifty eyes between my phone and the delicious treats one of my coworkers has brought in, then I’m likely to indulge in that brownie instead of driving myself crazy staring at it. THIS IS OKAY! I’m just going to account for it in my food diary and make sure it fits in my calories. Surprisingly, I’m not hugely into fruits and vegetables, though I’m working on it! Some people are appalled at my food diary, as there are many days where I don’t have any fruits or veggies. Again, I’m working on it. I try to eat vegetables and fruits a few times a week, but I don’t always, and again, this works for me. Like I said, just an average girl, eating average stuff, not a health nut by any means. I kind of wish I was, but I’m just not. There hasn’t been a whole lot of food I’ve given up, I just use portion control. I’ve tried to add in a few healthy foods too, but for me, it was all about cutting back, counting those calories, and eating proper portions.

7. Weekly Weigh-ins - I used to step on the scale every day, multiple times a day. Well, weight fluctuates like crazy on a weekly and even daily basis. Seeing my weight go up and down drove me absolutely nuts, so now I have just one weekly weigh-in. The scale is away and hidden the rest of the week. For your weigh-in, do it first thing in the morning, before you’ve eaten or drank anything, and before you’ve exercised. Also, do it in the buff! Don’t drive yourself crazy – weigh in just once a week if you can!

8. Set Goals and Rewards – set mini goals for yourself so you’re not always looking at the big, huge, scary picture. When I first realized I wanted/needed to lose 140 pounds, that was terrifying. I really didn’t think I would ever get there, and now I almost am! To get rid of those overwhelming feelings that may cause you to quit, cut that big goal down into smaller ones so that you realize what you’re accomplishing. Set rewards for your mini goals too. You’re busting your butt – why not reward yourself? My first goal was 50 pounds, and for that, I got a tattoo. For my ultimate goal of losing 140 pounds, I really want to travel to Europe. I don’t know if I can afford that, but I think I deserve it. Maybe someday. Anyways, set small goals with rewards such as new clothes, a spa day, new sneakers, a tattoo… whatever you think will push you to work at it.

9. Dream BIG – I easily could have told myself to just lose 10 pounds and be done with it, but I figured, why not go big or go home? If I’m going to commit to myself, I might as well become the best me that’s possible, not just a better me. My dream is to become a healthy, normal weight, and I won’t stop or give up until I reach my goal of losing 140 pounds. I also decided to dream big with my running. Heck yeah, I was thrilled the very first time I ran a mile straight through, and I could have stopped, but I kept going and now run fairly long distances. For me, dreaming big means running a marathon, so that’s another dream I’m working on. All of this stuff is hard, but embrace it!!!! Don’t be afraid to dream. Be the best you possible. You will never, ever regret it.

beforeafter_zps5efc3f50.jpg

The direct link to this post is: http://www.stephthebookworm.com/2013/05/31/how-to-lose-weight-without-dieting-or-how-i-lost-112-pounds-without-starving-or-going-crazy/

And some other weight loss posts I have done. I hope you'll read them:

On Doing Hard Things - My Story (So Far) - http://www.stephthebookworm.com/2012/11/09/on-doing-hard-things-my-story/

One Hundred Pounds - http://www.stephthebookworm.com/2013/03/10/one-hundred-pounds-3/

My 15K! - http://www.stephthebookworm.com/2013/03/30/my-15k/

Replies

• adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I like the " Keep It Simple Stupid" approach! I sometimes think I get to over the top about things. These tips show that keeping your mind on certain things i.e ) portion control and actually eating the serving size, makes life much easier! I have a HRM and LOVE it going to buy a scale now! have thought about it for awhile I think its time!

Wonderful work thanks for sharing!
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yes, it really is simpler than people think, just hard to put it into action!
  • deeds2785
    deeds2785 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I needed to read this today! Thank you :)
  • silroxxx
    silroxxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    you are really an inspiration! You look amazing and those tips are super helpful,thank you!
  • megbee617
    megbee617 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing. You are an inspiration to us all! Congradulations on the weight loss and every other good thing that has been a result of your journey!
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I agree with nearly everything you said. Ultimately we all have to find what works for us, but this puts it all in a nice package. You look amazing.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Great advice and you look awesome! I also allow myself a cheat day and eat what I want/practice portion control if it fits in my calorie goals - and DONT feel bad about it (unless I've eaten it when it DOESNT fit within my goals for the day). As you stated, this is a lifestyle change and likewise must be one that I can maintain for life.
  • callasm
    callasm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am very new on my weight loss journey just started this week. Thank you for giving realistic pointers on how to loose weight without dieting. All of your advice makes sense and makes me feel my weight loss journey will not be as hard as I once thought .
  • keriberi9
    keriberi9 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I agree with most of your tips, although I do weigh myself daily, I have a cheat day every once in a while, and I haven't really done rewarding mini-goals. Thanks for posting!!!! You look fabulous :)
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    As someone on the beginning of my journey, this really hit home.
    Thanks for sharing... really.
    Congratulations! You look great and sound as though you're doing so well!
  • that_Va_chick
    that_Va_chick Posts: 112
    Options
    Awesome work my friend!!! Keep it up.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/19/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-1/
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/24/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-2/
    http://www.gnolls.org/3374/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie-to-your-body/
    http://www.gnolls.org/3409/the-calorie-paradox-did-four-rice-chex-make-america-fat-part-ii-of-there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/ (I like this one!)

losing it is the easy part. Keeping it off is the hard part.

Just trying to keep it real.

And congratulations!! I don't think it has anything to do with calories but that's just my opinion. Remember - maintenance is for life. (You don't go on a diet, you change your diet).
  • BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/19/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-1/
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/24/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-2/
    http://www.gnolls.org/3374/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie-to-your-body/
    http://www.gnolls.org/3409/the-calorie-paradox-did-four-rice-chex-make-america-fat-part-ii-of-there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC506782/ (I like this one!)

losing it is the easy part. Keeping it off is the hard part.

Just trying to keep it real.

And congratulations!! I don't think it has anything to do with calories but that's just my opinion. Remember - maintenance is for life. (You don't go on a diet, you change your diet).

"Losing is the easy part" . . . . .I wish!
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks for your tips, i do most of this but i could stand to be better at weighing food, being more rigorous with logging and getting a HRM :)
  • ChuckWaygood
    Options
    Great job and congratulations on your success! As a trainer and wellness coach that is helping two people in your same (former) position, this was great to read. I also want to tell anyone else that reads this that you are 100% ON THE MONEY! However, I would add one thing: create a SUPPORT TEAM. Change is hard. Radical life change is REALLY hard! Can you do it alone? Maybe, but it will be much easier with a team behind you. Think about your family and friends and ask yourself if they will support your goals. How will they react when you tell them that you are going to lose 100 lbs? Their reaction will tell you if they are a supporter or a detractor. If they are a detractor, then distance yourself from them ASAP! There are a few types of supporters that you should get organized:
    1. Those that will hold you accountable - a trainer, a life coach, a nutritionist, doctor, etc... Their job is NOT to be a soft shoulder. Their job is to kick your butt!
    2. Those that will be your emotional support - again, this is going to be hard and you are going to want to quit. These people won't let you and they will (HOPEFULLY!) be the ones that don't allow you to sneak ice cream into the freezer! These are the people that will help you change your every day habits. For example, friends that you typically go out to dinner with that will be willing to change from your neighborhood burger and pizza joint to a more healthy option and then not complain.
    3. Teammates of Pain - these are people similar to yourself that understand what you are going through and can help you when you are down. These can be people online like on MyFitnessPal! They will give you encouragement and be empathetic to what you are going through.

Your support team will help you keep your head right. I can promise you that when you go through this life changing experience, cut some of your favorite meals out of your daily habits, and are SO sore that you can't sit on the toilet, you will be ornery and want to quit. 90% of you accomplishing your goal is mental. You have to believe to achieve! Your support team needs to help you believe EVERY day!

Good luck Smiley and I hope you continue to lead a healthy life and that you and your fiance live a long, happy life together!

Chuck
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for sharing your journey and lessons learned. Congratulations on your success.

I totally agree on your recommendations.

Good luck in your Maintenance phase.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Great One Steph! You are awesome and an inspiration!
  • LoriCARoberts
    LoriCARoberts Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous and are such an inspiration to me as well as many others I'm sure! Congrats!
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your success and my best wishes for it to continue. You have changed, nay taken charge of, your life so I have no doubt that you will continue to achieve all that you set out to do.

Second, great work documenting what has worked for you. It is great advice that I believe will work for most people as long as they are determined to follow through.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!