TOPIC: Over 200 New Year New Me Part 30

Options

Replies

• Momma24
    Momma24 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Girls, I hope everyone is doing well!!!

Blue I second everyone. You are doing great and I am so proud of you!!!

Ryan is on his second day of kindergarten. Yesterday was a good day for him. I however had a very bad experience and I am not too happy. I went to the bus stop 20 minutes early because I am a freak about the bus. When I was in kinder a bus driver came to her last stop and I was on the bus. I tell her this was not my stop she says sorry this is the last stop you HAVE to get off. Mind you I am still 4 years old because I am a September baby. Drops me off at this stop I kinda figured which way to head came to a busy 4 lane Main street through a very large city crossed this road, crying the entire time a man comes up to me and says what is wrong I tell him he reads my name on my shirt and says "I know your dad, my son in law will take you home" I get in the car with this perfect stranger because they said they knew my dad and they took me home" I knew something was wrong when I saw my mothers face. She was horrified that I was in the car with a man she had never seen before in her life. Any how some heads rolled and I never forgot it and now I am a nut about the bus. I called the transportation department last week and spoke to the lady I also wanted to meet the bus driver and the whole nine yards (Nutty about the bus) Any how bus shows up and bus driver is saying Ryan, Ryan this is your stop. Who is Ryan please raise your hand. I get on the bus and I say "None of these boys are Ryan" She says Ryan got on this bus because I marked him. I need to find out where he is. "Hyperventilating at this point" Where is my son. The transportation department calls the bus driver tells her You dropped him off at the after school program. :noway: Are you kidding me???????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say I was very angry and Everyone was made aware that I was angry (except for my little man he was just so happy to see me) Any how that is my tramatic first day of kindergarten and now I will bid you all a good day:laugh: :laugh:
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Momma - I would have been a MESS! I am so relieved it worked out OK! {{{hugs}}} You have every right to be angry!

Thank you gals for giving me encouragement. I really need it right now. You're right - I did lose most of my weight during the school year. I also didn't start until October when I was well into my routine. I guess I am just freaking out because I have never started a school year losing weight. :ohwell: I am going to take deep breaths and accept that I can only do so much right now. I am sure things will settle down in a few weeks. I pray I can just maintain and not gain.

We have today off before our first day with kids tomorrow. My back is killing me so I am spending the day in bed. It's all good, though - I really need to catch up on sleep!

Welcome, Jules! You will love it here. We are all sisters on this journey. :flowerforyou:

Julie - that raspberry coconut chicken recipe sounds FAB! I am going to try it this weekend. Thanks!!!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Julie-That recipe sounds soooo incredibly yummy! I'm going to have to pass this on to Mom so she can get the goods from the store! I love having my Mom to run to the store for me! :tongue:

Blue-I hope your back gets to feeling better. And you will most definitely find your groove back when things get all calmed down. Just focus on you right now. I know you can do this! {HUGS}

Momma-That sounds absoultely devestating!! I'm so glad it all turned out okay! Let us know how his 2nd day goes!

I went to lunch at Genghis Grill....I looked up all the nutritional information and it looked like pretty much all the meats are loaded with sodium and calories...so I got just a little bit of chicken and loaded up with sugar snap peas, peppers, squash and zucinni and got brown rice. Hope this doesn't hurt my loss I saw this morning! I'm so nervous! :grumble:
  • cris20056
    cris20056 Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Momma- you poor thing! I WOULD HAVE FREAKED OUT!!! Some people would have been getting fired if that happend to me...OMG Im so sorry to have this happen to you on top of the bus phobia they had to mess up! At least Ryan doesnt seem to know what is going on!

big hugs!!!
  • elmox
    elmox Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Momma, glad you pitched a fit. That's exactly what you should have done! And my heart goes out to 4-year old you!

Julie, agreed on the recipe. I love coconut rice!

Jess, good job on planning ahead!
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Laila -- You're very strong indeed! I can't even fathom a 90 minute car trip without water.
    You may want to stop reading now because I'm going to share a recipe. :laugh:

I've made this a couple times & I made it last night from memory and it was so easy and so yummy I had to share.
    It's raspberry chicken & coconut rice
    Raspberry chicken:
    16 oz boneless skinless chicken breast cut up in bite sized pieces
    About 1/3 cup flour (sorry I'm bad about not measuring when I cook)
    About 1 tbs lemon pepper (I use Mrs. Dash b/c it doesn't have any salt added)
    About 1-1.5tsp dried rosemary
    About 1/4 tsp salt
    2-3 tbs rice wine vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar the first time and it was just as good)***
    About 6tbs raspberry vinegrette***
    1.5tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil

((*** These 2 ingredients are a substitution for a recipe I came across that calls for reducing raspberry vinegar to make the sauce. I can't find raspberry vinegar and I really dig the sweetness of the vinegrette anyway, so whatever))

Place flour, lemon pepper, salt, and rosemary in a gallon sized zip top bag. Add chicken & shake to coat. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken, cook until golden brown (& no longer pink of course). Remove chicken from pan and place on a paper towel to drain. Add vinegar to same pan & allow to reduce for a couple minutes, then add vinegrette to pan & reduce for another minute or so. Return chicken to pan & completely coat with sauce and reheat thoroughly. Done. Serves 4.

Nutrition per serving (sorry these are all the values MFP gives me).
    Calories: 194
    Fat: 9g
    Carbs: 7g
    Protein: 23g
    Sodium: 492mg (if you omit the salt or use chicken that hasn't been enhanced, sodium could be much lower)

Coconut rice (so easy & freaking amazing!)
    1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
    1 CUP (not can!) of full fat coconut milk
    3/4 cup water
    1tsp freshly grated ginger (last night I used about 1/8 tsp ground ginger & it was good -- could've used a little more; 1st time I had fresh ginger & it was better)
    2-3tbs grated coconut (fresh, frozen, or even dried sweetened flaked will be good)

Get a pot. Put all the ingredients in the pot. Turn your burner on high & bring everything to just boiling. Reduce heat (I reduce mine to as low as my burner flame will go). Cover and simmer for however long your rice package says to simmer (my basmati says 20 minutes. I'm thinking my jasmine says longer...). Also, I don't think you're supposed to stir rice. But I can usually only hold out for 15 minutes or so before I have to stir it to ease my mind. :laugh: It comes out fine for me even though I do stir it once or twice (I'm so convinced it would burn on the bottom if I didn't stir it though!).

Nutrition:
    I make this = 6 servings because I don't like the 4 servings numbers :laugh: It's plenty of rice split 6 ways, IMO. Last night my serving size was 87g (weigh the rice when it was ready & divide by 6)
    Calories: 181
    Fat: 7g
    Carbs: 26g
    Protein: 3g
    Sodium: 13mg (yep, 13, coming from the coconut & coconut milk I used so ymmv)

Then I serve these with some kind of steamed green veggie. Last night it was broccoli (my fav). Green beans would be good, too.

It seems like a fatty meal with 16g fat but the fats are pretty much all from olive oil and coconut milk which are very healthy fat sources from what I understand. Surprisingly enough, I've been trying to eat more fat because I'm trying to get to the 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat balance (instead of the 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat I've been eating for about 6 months).

LOL...During this time I Always watch the food network...if I can't eat it why not watch them eat it:laugh: :sad:
  • Positively_Me
    Options
    Momma, I agree wht the rest of the girls I would have gone out of my mind search for my son. The bus personal should have gotten some kind of penalty for dropping him off at the wrong stop. {{Hugs}} to you:flowerforyou:

Blue, sorry to hear you are down and overwhelmed...that is how I felt when I started Ramadan. I want to do this the right way w/o jeopardizing my metablism. we will get through this TOGETHER! Love you and Big {{hug}}:heart:

4 hours until we eat breakfast/dinner... I feel ok..I have the biggest migrane due lack of coffee. That is the first thing I am going to drink beside my water and a date to break my fast..

catch ya later :)
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Wow, I overdid it during the company potluck today. Hugely over on sodium, about 500 calories over and that's without dinner. If I have volunteering today, things should be okay because I won't really have time for dinner anyway and will burn close to the calories I'm over by. If I don't have volunteering (it's hot and humid today), then I'll probably have to find some fruit to eat and call it a day. Boo! I really thought I was being good, and would have been okay if I'd avoided the brownie and second helpings of beans and pasta salad. Grr. Why do I do this to myself?

What's done is done and it's time to move on from it. I'll need to drown myself in water today and tomorrow and cross my fingers that the overload on sodium doesn't kill my weigh in this week.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    POS Me-I love that you sit and watch the food channel. Your in the home stretch! Just a few more hours.

Heather-I know your going to punish yourself for eating all those calories. Don't be too hard on yourself. Make good choices for dinner and the rest of the week.

Oh this week feels like it has gone on for what feels like FOREVER!! I'm ready for Friday Friday Friday! Can ya tell I'm bored? It's bad news when I'm bored and have an iPhone. I'm downloading music. This is gonna be ugly! Randy Rogers new song, here I come! :tongue:
  • Positively_Me
    Options
    ugh..now I feel the hunger..I have a little more than 2 hrs. Can't wait for my coffee...my headache is worse...

I am counting down..
  • louddownunder
    Options
    Hi folks, thanks for the great welcome! You seems like such a supportive group.

POS Me - You've got amazing perseverence! Isn't Ramadan very early this year, so you've got the longer daylight hours to contend with? What time would you have to get up to eat Suhoor (sp?) instead of eating before bed?

Julie - great recipe and thanks for sharing. You're right about adapting to different cooking styles. I've decided to focus on some asian techniques as the high heat cooking calls for so little fats (and it's a style I've never really embraced before with a classical background). Unfortunately, getting fish down the hubby is impossible without disguising it - so Mexican and Moroccan spices are going to pop up a lot as well

Despite what the tracker says, I'm actually down 12lbs at this attempt at losing weight - but seem to be stuck this week at 192.5. (anyone know how to reset the MFP starting weight? It's stuck on my starting weight when I first attempted a year ago). My calories are sneaking up or above 1200 this week (STRESS!), and even with some good exercise the scale refuses to budget. I have found that losing weight in pounds is MUCH more motivating than kilograms - kilos come off so much slower than pounds :grin::

I've got a Masterchef event this afternoon, so going to have to be very careful about what I indulge in! Will have rabbit food for lunch to balance it out. Working from home this a.m. so better take the dogs for all of us to have a run after my first morning meeting.
  • bluenote
    Options
    Jules - go to your weigh in page and at the bottom click on "edit previous entries." There you can change the weight.
  • louddownunder
    Options
    Brilliant Bluenote - thanks!
  • Positively_Me
    Options
    Jules, first let me say welcome to the group. You are going to look our chatty group!

Yes Ramadan is ten days earlier this year than it was last year…that what happens every year. And sahur is around 4:15 am..so I prefer to stay awake and have something before bed than to get my lazy butt up and eat something..and when I use to wake up my kids I would never eat just drink water.
    I am sipping on my coffee..boy do I miss it. I just finished having my flat tacos..delish!

Check in:
    Calories, a little under..but I might have a philly soft pretzel and will that is like 400 calories by itself.
    exercise, 30 minutes elliptical earlier today..burned 362 calories
    water, I am on 6 cups..I was really thirsty when I broke my fast..I am for sure having more later on. after my coffee.
    proud, I didn't over do it with my eating. I stopped at 2 tacos..

have a great nite girls.

Hugs and kisses,

laila
  • bluenote
    Options
    check in:
    cals: under a bit
    water: almost at 100
    exercise: none. again.
    proud: none. again.
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Laila - Congrats on making it through the 1st day !!

Blue - I agree with the others...Don't go...you can do this !!!!!!

Jess - Congrats on seeing the scale moves, i hope you see a 20# soon!!!

I agree this week is dragging i thought it was thursday all day today :(

THis morning I was back to what i was on last friday, But this evening i was down a nother 1 1/2 so that was cool..hoping that will last till friday !!!

I didn't go to the gym at lunch, got a heat rash now on my leg...but did make it to water aerobics tonight...
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I leave you all for a few days and the boards light up !!
    Just a quick check in from the old iPhone.

Welcome newbies!!!!! Love this thread.

Calories and water and exercise ok last two days.
    Rough time though. Work is crazy and wedding planning on top is putting me over the edge.
    Was in the office until 3am yesterday. Phew.

Momma - so good to have you back. Xoxoxoxo. So scary about the stupid bus driver. I would have FLIPPED !!!!

Pos me - great job getting through the first day. Hopefully it gets easier tomorrow.

Nighty night.
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Momma - So sorry about Ryan's 1st day on the bus. How tramatic for you an him . I would of been livid. Serena got on the wrong day care bus (in the morning from the day care), luckily they didn't take her anywhere she wasn't supposed to be they realized that she was on the wrong bus and she was just late to school.

All of these school starting, we don't start until the 23rd.

I was flipping excited this morning, i got on the scale and it was down like over 2lbs from last friday...with this week i didn't think i would loose any weight...If i can keep this till tomrorow i will be estatic.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Yay lildeb! There's no stopping you!

Laila -- I'm impressed with your strength, focus, and willpower. Last night at work I thought about you when I realized how hungry I was around 8pm and the sun was setting. And I had just eaten an apple and half a pack of peanut butter crackers at 5!

Jules -- anyone here will tell you I love to suggest that people need to eat MORE when they're not losing weight. :wink: Why? Start reading here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again and then here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition Ever since last January, if I try to eat 1200 calories/day and exercise I either don't lose weight at all or lose it very slowly. When I lessen the calorie deficit I'm creating (by eating more), I actually lose more weight (this is all to certain extents of course). I suppose if I ate way less, I'd lose more weight, too. But um... I like the eating more option a whole lot better. :tongue: Everyone is going to be different but it seems my weight loss sweet spot occurs when I routinely eat 1400-1800 calories (healthy calories), depending on how much I've exercised, keeping my estimated calorie deficit somewhere between 500 and 1000 per day. Again, everyone is different.

Meokk -- Good to see (read?) you! Deep breaths!

Momma -- I'm with the other ladies -- I would've been in hysterics about the bus situation! How terrifying. I'm so glad Ryan was fine!

Nancy -- I'm so glad you checked in with us. I think that alone is something you should be proud of. :flowerforyou:

Jess -- This week *has* dragged on forever! But, hooray, it's Thursday!

Heather -- You were good at the potluck! Think how much the old you would have eaten. It makes me giggle when you say it's "hot and humid" in Minnesota. :tongue: Kind of like how Jess & Deb must laugh at me complaining about South Carolina. :laugh: I guess if it's humid, once the temp climbs past 90*F it doesn't even matter anymore -- it's all just hot and nasty. :sick: I'm so ready for autumn weather (which starts the middle of November here. :laugh:
  • cris20056
    cris20056 Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Laila- Great job getting through day 1!!! I could tell how much you enjoyed that coffee...

Meook- I miss you! Hope work slows down soon and wedding stress ...well you only have about 2 months left right? Its almost over!!!!

Checking in for yesterday:
    calories- 1210
    water- lots 100+
    sodium- 2670...another fail
    excercise- spin class!! different night, new instructor...loved it!
    cals burned- 843!!! WHOOP WHOOP!
    Proud- that I watched what I ate even though I really am having a hard time wanting to eat everything in sight. I took a bite of my son's food here and there but not enough to add up to over 100 cals, and since I burned so much in spin class I didnt beat myself up about it